Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
NUCLEAR POWER (Read 37348 times)
IQSRLOW(Guest)

Re: Nuclear Power for Australia
Reply #30 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 1:30am

Given power storage methods (flow batteries) base load capacity is very possible. 

Lots of things are possible, but battery storage opens another can of environmental worms.

As it is, all we need is assistance to the existing system anyway, not a whole new thing. Even if renewables are assistance to base load, that is good and means many extra power stations  do not have to be built.

Assistance will only cover expanding population, it doesn't negate what we need to do now to reduce emissions. Nuclear can replace existing base load power that pumps it's waste into our atmosphere sooner.

Lots of losses occur the further power is transmitted.

Which is why renewables have their own sets of environmental problems. If sustainabilty is to be paramount then ALL inputs and outputs need to be weighed

By allocating renewable systems in more remote locations the energy saved is significant.

In some situations, but the major consumers of energy aren't in remote locations

Yes, the locals at whitecliffs did not want solar power initially. 
It was the most economic method though. Now the locals are more than happy with it. 
With virtually no running costs for a decade and good reliability , I'ld be pretty happy also.

It was the most economic method because they weren't able to connect to the grid. Whitecliff solar was shut down in 2004. The running costs as well as the infrastructure were significant and inefficient

IP Logged

maille
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:01am

Geat topic,

Could it be we will be forced to take Nuclear power on regardless of the threats to our environment?

Because none of the alternatives have been explored or developed--for whatever reason.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 7:16pm

Renewable energies are capable of supplying base load power.

No they aren't

Yes they are. It's just a matter of what we are willing to pay, not technology. 

One big side of this which people seem to be missing is demand management via price signals. The two major parties have a tendency to predict future demand based on current prices and to assume we should build more expensive options based on the demand when electricity is cheap. We should be jacking up the prices first, the building nuclear or renewable energy plants after society has adjusted to the higher prices and indicated with their actions that they still want more power, as opposed to say, just consuming a bit less so we don't have to build new plants.

It is also not the government's role to select between solar electric, wind, solar thermal etc. The industry for these is well established. All they have to do is offer the right price for the product (electricity).

How does a flow battery work? How energy efficient is it? How cost efficient is it?

Could it be we will be forced to take Nuclear power on regardless of the threats to our environment?

I suspect that it may be better than coal, hence our 'next best choice' in cost terms. However there are still no long term waste storage facilities in the world that are running. Until then we won't know how much it really costs and a lot of the 'economy' of nuclear is down to letting our descendants deal with the waste.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 8:25pm

Yes, higher pricing willl dampen demand. 
With insulation and solar panels/wind turbines on selected houses/premises I believe effective demand would be significantly reduced.
Overall it must be  a "more economic" alternative then building bigger nuclear plants to encourage greater demand.

Probably the market forces do select the generation method.
Jack Green Limited supply ONLY renewable power. If consumers demand that, it will be supplied.

Flow batteries have 2 containers of different liquid chemicals. The liquids are pumped into the "battery".
The combining of the chemicals allow current to be drawn off. When it is recharged I think the chemicals regain their original properties. It was developed by Uni of NSW (I think).
The mistake was to give it away to an aussie company. They did noting with it, canadians stole the rights to it worldwide, except for in Auss and New zealand. 
Never do business with anything remotely related to canada. That is the business side of it.

Very efficient, the chemicals can be used indefinitely. capacity can be changed by adding (or removing) extra drums to contain the chemicals.

Most of the costs of non renewable power are not paid for by anyone.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Most of the costs of non renewable power are not paid for by anyone.

You mean the 'negative externalities'? ie the environmental and social costs?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:46pm

Costs of non renewables are ... hhhmhmm eg

In the oil industry, they claim they are producers of oil. The oil is already there, they just tap down to it, take that they want. They don't strictly "produce" anything.

Then we are charged for "disposing" of the old oil . I didn't make it ! They "made" it.
Why should I have to pay, it is their product.
They also don't pay for the polluting that goes on in the manufacturing of it, the road deaths it brings.

yes, I guess social and environmental.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW(Guest)

Reply #36 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:04pm

freediver wrote on Apr 29th, 2007 at 7:16pm:
Renewable energies are capable of supplying base load power.

No they aren't

Yes they are. It's just a matter of what we are willing to pay, not technology. 

I didn't figure you for being a simpleton.

No..they aren't. Not on a large scale, not without associated costs to the environment, not without significant infrastructure costs and associated problems and not without either directly or indirectly increasing damage to the environment...which brings us back to square one in trying to replace coal fired base load power.

IP Logged

maille
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:24pm

"Associated problems"--there is not one energy source Nuclear, renewable or other wise that doesnt have associated problems, so please tell me where you get your expert information from IQSRLOW?.Youd never get away with generalisations like that in Cracker. You'd need to back up your source as you know.

I dont see its necessary to get your "point" across with demeaning descriptions like 'simpleton'-We dont work like that in here.

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

IQSRLOW(Guest)

Reply #38 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:40pm

Quote:
"Associated problems"--there is not one energy source Nuclear, renewable or other wise that doesnt have associated problems, so please tell me where you get your expert information from IQSRLOW?.Youd never get away with generalisations like that in Cracker. You'd need to back up your source as you know mel/scaly.

I dont see its necessary to get your "point" across with demeaning descriptions like 'simpleton'-We dont work like that in here.

This 'Mel' character, you keep harping on about must be one helluva good bloke. I like him already and I've never even interacted with him. I have no idea what 'Cracker' is either.

I only gathered the 'simpleton' comment from an observation of his simple solution coupled with surrounding himself with other, more obvious simpletons

IP Logged

maille
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:46pm

"

This 'Mel' character, you keep harping "
---not fooling anyone --sorry mel

IP Logged

IQSRLOW(Guest)

Reply #40 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 11:00pm

'Fooling' would require some effort on my part. You seem to be more than capable of handling that all by yourself.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:06am

Hi  IQSRLOW,

How are you ? You are right, White cliffs was no longer the sole form of power for white cliffs now. 
I was unaware of that.

From what I read , It is still connected to the grid and supplying power but is also supplemented by the grid. Which is strange. Or it supplements the grid, whichever way they want it.
The economics of running the grid there made the solar power economic in the first place. To set up sloar power, use it for many years, THEN run in the power lines is obviously uneconomic.

Wonder if the coal industry applied any pressure on this decision ?  Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 11:44am

In the oil industry, they claim they are producers of oil. The oil is already there, they just tap down to it, take that they want. They don't strictly "produce" anything.

You could make the same argument about renewables or any industry. It doesn't really matter though. The social and environmental costs dod matter.

No..they aren't. Not on a large scale, not without associated costs to the environment, not without significant infrastructure costs and associated problems and not without either directly or indirectly increasing damage to the environment...which brings us back to square one in trying to replace coal fired base load power.

They can produce base load power, it just costs more. They do have some environmental impact, but it is far less than that of coal, even on a large scale. Everything we do has some impact, but renewable energy is pretty far down on the list. It basically comes down to cost.

IP Logged

zoso (Guest)

Reply #43 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 7:33pm

Quote:
Lots of things are possible, but battery storage opens another can of environmental worms.

As opposed to the 'environmentally sound' practice of concentrating radioactive isotopes, dumping their excess heat energy into the atmosphere and oceans and then burying them in the ground? Substances with a half life measured in millennia?

Quote:
Which is why renewables have their own sets of environmental problems. If sustainabilty is to be paramount then ALL inputs and outputs need to be weighed

Exactly, and renewables use more environmentally sound principles than nuclear power.

Quote:

Nuclear costs exactly the same as wind and solar plants, but while wind and solar are ready and IN USE (south australia - 20% renewables TODAY, look it up) nuclear is not ready, nor will it be any time soon. There will always be costs with energy production and this is why freedivers point is the most important, we need to pay more for power. This is the only way to send the right message to the consumer.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW(Guest)

Reply #44 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 8:30pm

As opposed to the 'environmentally sound' practice of concentrating radioactive isotopes, dumping their excess heat energy into the atmosphere and oceans and then burying them in the ground? Substances with a half life measured in millennia?

Strawman anyone?

Go look at the chemical composition of modern batteries as well as their lifespan and while your doing that, have a look at all the battery recycling plants within Australia.

Exactly, and renewables use more environmentally sound principles than nuclear power.

Which principles would those be?

Nuclear costs exactly the same as wind and solar plants, but... is less reliable and would require land clearing and reduction of biodiversity on a grand scale to be able to service metropolitan areas. 20% is not base load power

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print