Send Topic Print
NUCLEAR POWER (Read 37323 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Why nuclear will win the debate
Reply #90 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 6:15pm

Quote:
Last week, Mr Howard promised that nuclear power stations would not be imposed on any community in Australia unless residents agree to it in a binding referendum.

Was that a core promise - or a non-core promise? 

Why has he refused to hold a referendum on a nuclear waste dump here in Australia stop?

If Howard gets in again we won't have a choice of whether we want nuclear reactors in Australia - let alone a dump.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Nuke power is no certainty: Turnbull
Reply #91 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 4:17pm

If the waste from nuclear power was spread evenly over all the land on earth, how bad would the radiation be? Would it be significantly above background levels?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Nuke-power-is-no-certainty-Turnbull/2007/10/22/1192940972499.html

A nuclear-powered future is not a certainty in Australia, federal Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull says.

Mr Turnbull told reporters in Sydney on Monday that more research into clean energy technologies may show nuclear energy is not the cheapest option and therefore may never be adopted.

But even if it is, it's at least 10 to 15 years away, he said.

"If clean coal turns out to be a cheaper alternative then we may never have nuclear power in Australia," Mr Turnbull said.

Opposition environment spokesman Peter Garrett labelled Mr Turnbull's comments as an election act.

"Mr Turnbull today tried to suggest that nuclear reactors may never be built in Australia under a Liberal government," Mr Garrett said.

"Just hours after the prime minister supported nuclear power in the national televised debate ... Mr Turnbull is suddenly saying nuclear reactors may never be built in Australia.

"Only one thing has changed in the nuclear debate - that is an election is around the corner."

Nuclear the cleanest?

Interesting comments from BHP:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Tradeoffs-needed-for-green-move-Argus/2007/10/26/1192941283843.html

After the meeting, Mr Argus said he believed nuclear power would be introduced in Australia one day, but only after people became more "educated" about it.

"The debate in the northern hemisphere is far more advanced than what it is in the Australian community," he said.

"I think once people see nuclear is the cleanest form of energy then they will move on to the (nuclear) waste debate, and that's where I think we should be concentrating.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2007 at 3:35pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Germany committed to phasing out Nuclear Power
Reply #92 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 8:20pm

Germany has committed itself to phasing out all nuclear power plants within two decades. But Europe's largest economy still heavily relies on coal and imported oil and natural gas. The Combined Power Plant shows that the arguments against the 'intermittent' renewables (wind and solar) can be countered by coupling them to biomass systems.

source: http://www.checkbiotech.org/green_News_Biofuels.aspx?infoId=16541

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Re: Germany committed to phasing out Nuclear Power
Reply #93 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 4:51pm

It good that Germany is commited and all hope for success to them.

However, I suggest that biofuel will be viable for the rural townships only. In major cities they will remain nuclear. Germany is a population dense country with a townships every 5-10 km. Power distribution is viable there as the domestic structure allows for it. However many solar panels would be require to store enough energy to power say a city like Berlin or Frankfurt?

Having said all that, the EU are commited and actively persueing and innovating renewable energy technologies. The future is bright with them at the helm. Unfortunately, in Australia we do not see such needs for improvements with our reliance on fossil fuels and archaic energy generation.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #94 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 4:55pm

Biofuels are used mainly for transport, not electricity (the nuclear reference). There is no reason for it to be restricted to rural areas as economies of scale will most likely lead to production in fairly large plants and then blending with conventional fuel.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #95 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 5:16pm

Of course, my mistake and I stand corrected. Please change bio-fuel to renewable energy (ie: solar, wind etc) on my post as that is what I really meant.

LOL.

Lips Sealed Undecided Shocked Huh

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 7:39pm

good article acid, well done.

Good plan by gernamy, given the 20 year lead time. Makes it practical.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #97 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 9:35pm

Electricity is really easy to transport from the rural areas into the cities.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Fed govt speeds up dump site decision
Reply #98 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:36pm

http://news.smh.com.au/national/fed-govt-speeds-up-dump-site-decision-20080609-2nph.html

The federal government is fast-tracking a decision that could see a nuclear waste dump established in the Northern Territory.

Consultants are expected to report back to the government this month on a series of sites investigated in the Top End, Fairfax newspapers reported on Monday.

Resources and Energy Minister Martin Ferguson told Fairfax he was keen to act soon after years of government indecision on the dump.

"I know I've got one of the tough decisions of this parliament. It's got to be done. You can't hide from your responsibilities and you can't play politics," Mr Ferguson said.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: NUCLEAR POWER
Reply #99 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 7:04pm

Quote:
Resources and Energy Minister Martin Ferguson told Fairfax he was keen to act soon after years of government indecision on the dump.

"I know I've got one of the tough decisions of this parliament. It's got to be done. You can't hide from your responsibilities and you can't play politics," Mr Ferguson said

Martin Ferguson has been intoxicated with the NP lobby for years. 

He's lying - there hasn't been years of government indecision - this dump was planned all along and the only holdup was the location of the site.  They had 3 choices.

Before he won the election Rudd said we wouldn't have a NP dump in Australia.  There is going to be a lot of anger over this.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 7:48pm

mantra - rudd is backflipping on this also ?
Once again keeping his profile far from it

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #101 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:21pm

If they do go ahead with making us a nuclear tip, then I for one, will never vote Labor again.

Ferguson has always been a self serving union man, who seems enchanted by his courtship at the hands of the nuclear lobby.

The cynic in me has to wonder what dirty linen may come out in the wash?

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #102 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:36am

Ferguson has always promoted nuclear power and will end up causing a lot of damage to the Rudd government pushing his uranium agenda.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #103 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:58am

The geothermal projects  or Uranium mines could provide a good location for a nuclear waste dump. Put the waste underground along with the natural stuff that has a higher activity anyway. What's the problem with that?

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #104 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 12:03pm

muso wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:58am:
The geothermal projects  or Uranium mines could provide a good location for a nuclear waste dump. Put the waste underground along with the natural stuff that has a higher activity anyway. What's the problem with that?  

My problem with that idea is it supports an irresponsible industry desperate for a get-out-of-jail-free card and if democracy means a thing I will not vote for it!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print