Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Why we should allow whaling (Read 160169 times)
oceans_blue
Ex Member

Re: Why we should allow whaling
Reply #45 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:05pm

I'm curious, have you actually seen a whale being hunted, what styrofoam and plastic does to the insides of animals, have you ever seen a dolphin being turned into pet food, have you seen the way blood drips out of a bird's neck when its caught in plastic drink holders? have you even bothered to look at road-kill? Have you seen anything? And don't you worry, My opinions are not the random opinions of a cotton wool-wrapped urbanite. I've seen these things, for which I have had 'swallow cement and harden up' for and they are experiences I never want to experience again. "
------------------------

Not many pple have , unfortunately Progs..a little reality can be good for all of us.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Japan spat the dummy, says Turnbull
Reply #46 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:18pm

Call me a bleeding heart environMENTAList and hypocrite

OK.  Cheesy

If you can sit and watch a whale being 'caught' without grimacing, wincing, throwing up

Have you ever read 'Tommo and Hawk' by Bryce Courtney?

Most people living in cities are so far removed from what is required to exist that they are blinded by dogma.

I so agree with that. That leads to a lot of the hypocrisy in the 'cafe latte' environmental movement.

have you ever seen a dolphin being turned into pet food

I posted a link to a video on that in here recently.

I've seen these things

Seeing them is a bit different to realising all the death that goes into feeding you. It tends to create opposition to only the most visible aspects of our food chain, while hiding the truly cruel aspects of mechanised agriculture that give us eggs, chicken, veal and bacon, as well as beef overseas. Once you start slaughtering your own meat rather than paying someone else to do your dirty work, whaling doesn't seem so bad.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Japan-spat-the-dummy-says-Turnbull/2007/06/03/1180809315594.html

Australia says Japan had a "dummy-spit" when it didn't get its own way at last week's International Whaling Commission in Alaska.

The strong words from Mr Turnbull come after Japan failed to win a single vote at the commission in Anchorage.

"Whaling is essentially a nationalistic issue in Japan, that's its support base so the engagement with Japan has to be as a friend, it has to be candid, it has to be constructive.

But Mr Turnbull rejected the suggestion that accusing Japan of a "dummy-spit" was not constructive.

"It's not accusing them of a dummy-spit, their own mothers would recognise they done (sic) a dummy-spit.

"To stand up at the end of the conference and say: 'That's it, we're threatening to pull out,' that is a dummy-spit on any view."
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007 at 1:59pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

ozadmin

Hello

oz
Reply #47 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:32pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

The Friendly Administrator.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 11:41am

I have put this up on the site as a proper article and created a section for the sustainability party:

http://ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/why-allow-whaling.html

Weapon from 1800s found in whale

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Weapon-from-1800s-found-in-whale/2007/06/13/1181414344874.html

A fragment of a lance used by commercial whalers in the 1800s was found in a massive bowhead whale caught off Alaska last month, suggesting it may be more than a century old, US officials say.

Many whales 'pregnant' when slaughtered

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Many-whales-pregnant-when-slaughtered/2007/07/24/1185043070039.html

More than half the whales killed by Japanese whalers in the Antarctic last summer were pregnant females, the Humane Society International (HSI) said.

The group said that of the 505 Antarctic minke whales killed, 262 of them were pregnant females, while one of the three giant fin whales killed was also pregnant.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2007 at 11:37am by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
RSPCA approves of major Sydney deer cull
Reply #49 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 4:44pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/rspca-approves-of-major-sydney-deer-cull/2007/08/03/1185648143013.html

The RSPCA says it approves a major deer cull in Sydney's south - provided it is done as humanely as possible.

RSPCA NSW branch chief inspector David O'Shannessy says there was a proven need to curb the deer population, which is estimated to exceed 1,700.

Court may act soon on whaling injunction

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Court-may-act-soon-on-whaling-injunction/2007/09/18/1189881497985.html

After a three-year battle by anti-whaling groups, the Federal Court may hand down a decision soon on a stalled bid to challenge Japan's annual whale hunt in Australian Antarctic waters.

Animal welfare group the Humane Society International has sought an injunction against Japanese whaler Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha Ltd, saying it was responsible for the deaths of about 1,260 whales since 2000 in Australia's whale sanctuary near Antarctica.

Turnbull uses YouTube for whaling issue

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Turnbull-uses-YouTube-for-whaling-issue/2007/10/09/1191695872827.html

With the Japanese summer whaling season in the Antarctic fast approaching, federal Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull has launched an internet video message to gather anti-whaling support among children.

Mr Turnbull uses the YouTube vision to tell children what the government is doing to fight commercial whaling and to hear from Australian children who have been active with the anti-whaling message.

He has also launched a Japanese subtitled version of the video on Japanese YouTube.

Japan fishermen, anti-whalers tussle

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Japan-fishermen-antiwhalers-tussle/2007/11/01/1193619057074.html

Japanese fishermen tussled with over 30 anti-whaling protesters in waters off the country's eastern coast this week as the activists tried to stop the killing of thousands of pilot whales.

A group of mostly Australian and American activists, some on surfboards, left flowers at sea off Taiji, a historic whaling town some 450km west of Tokyo.

But the ceremony on Monday, shown in a video provided by the activists, was interrupted by a boat of local fishermen, who used a long pole to chase away the protesters. Whales could be seen swimming on the other side of the boat.

Protesters say there is no point to whaling, citing research by Taiji assemblymen this year which showed local whale meat contained levels of mercury 10 to 16 times more than advised by the Health Ministry.

Japan asks Australia to protect whalers

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2007/s2087785.htm

TONY EASTLEY: Japan is worried that its whaling fleet is going to be targeted by protesters on the high seas during its annual Southern Ocean hunt and it wants Australia and New Zealand to provide some protection.

Japan says its ships have been subject to terrorist-like action and says it's stepping up its own security for its crews.

But environmentalists say it's Japan that's been provoking confrontation, especially with its plans to kill up to 50 humpback whales this season.

North Asia correspondent Shane McLeod reports.

SHANE MCLEOD: Japanese officials won't say exactly when the ocean-going whaling fleet is due to depart on its annual Southern Ocean hunt. But it's expected to be within days.

And with Japan anticipating more confrontation on the high seas between its ships and environmental group Sea Shepherd, Fisheries Agency spokesman Hideki Moronuki is calling on Australia and New Zealand to ensure the safety of the Japanese fleet.

HIDEKI MORONUKI: Those two countries maintain the same position as Japan does against the violent action of terrorists… terrorism. So everybody can imagine that Sea Shepherd may take very dangerous illegal actions again, so I need the kindest support of those two countries in order to secure the safety of our crews and the (inaudible).

SHANE MCLEOD: Sea Shepherd and the Japanese fleet clashed last summer, before Japan's ships headed home early after an unrelated fire crippled the main whale processing ship, killing one crew member.

Mr Moronuki says Sea Shepherd is engaging in environmental terrorism. He says Japan is stepping up measures to deal with the threat.

HIDEKI MORONUKI: We cannot take illegal actions even though the Sea Shepherd would take illegal, very dangerous illegal actions. So we have to take another legal actions in order to escape from dangerous actions by Sea Shepherd. It's very difficult what we should do, something.

SHANE MCLEOD: Sea Shepherd's captain Paul Watson says his organisation is not responsible for collisions with the Japanese ships last season.

And he says he's not worried by Japan stepping up its security measures.

PAUL WATSON: I don't think it'll have any impact at all. I mean, what we have to understand here is Japanese whaling is illegal. They're targeting endangered species in a whale sanctuary in violation of a global moratorium on whaling.

Labor to ramp up anti-whaling campaign

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/labor-to-ramp-up-antiwhaling-campaign/2007/11/15/1194766856574.html

A Labor government would ramp up Australian efforts against Japanese whaling and use the military to monitor ships killing the mammals in the Southern Ocean.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:48am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Rudd vows to defend whales
Reply #50 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:11pm

New Australian PM vows to defend whales

http://news.smh.com.au/new-australian-pm-vows-to-defend-whales/20071213-1gz6.html

Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd pledged Thursday to protect whales in a bitter dispute over Japan's hunting of the giant mammals.

Rudd's centre-left Labor party, which won elections last month, had called while in opposition for Australia to send the navy to monitor Japan's whaling fleet.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:26pm

What an expensive waste of taxpayers money and an exercise in futility...

Maybe they will be able to catch the real criminals like the Sea Shepherds who endanger life on the high seas

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #52 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:04pm

Home » World » Breaking News » Article
New Australian PM vows to defend whales
Email Print Normal font Large font December 13, 2007 - 11:41PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementAustralian prime minister Kevin Rudd pledged Thursday to protect whales in a bitter dispute over Japan's hunting of the giant mammals.

Rudd's centre-left Labor party, which won elections last month, had called while in opposition for Australia to send the navy to monitor Japan's whaling fleet.

Japan's ships set sail last month on the country's largest hunt yet which for the first time since the 1960s will kill humpbacks, one of the most popular animals for Australian whale watchers.

"We take seriously Australia's international obligations on the proper protection of whales," Rudd told reporters in Bali, Indonesia, where he was taking part in a UN conference on climate change on his first foreign trip as premier.

"We are therefore actively considering the appropriate measures for the collection of data which could assist in any future legal case which the government may embark upon," he said, as quoted by the Australian Associated Press.

He said he would offer further details next week but that he was not ruling out using "Australian assets" to document Japan's whaling.

Japanese officials earlier scoffed at Labor's suggestions of sending the navy against the whalers, arguing the catch is fully legal.

Rudd's defeated conservative predecessor, John Howard, also rejected involving the military, saying it was best to work through diplomacy.

Japan plans to kill more than 1,000 whales in the Antarctic on its annual hunt using a loophole in a 1986 global moratorium on commercial whaling that allows "lethal research" on the giant mammals.

Japan makes no secret that the meat goes on dinner plates and accuses Western nations, usually among its closest allies, of cultural imperialism.

Only Norway and Iceland defy the whaling moratorium outright.

Rudd, who took office last week, also laid a wreath at the Australian consulate in Bali in memory of victims of 2002 and 2005 bombings that killed a total of 92 Australians on the popular resort island.

Rudd earlier said he discussed stepping up security cooperation when he met this week with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Flannery's views on whales 'curious'
Reply #53 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 12:31pm

These people have no concept of sustainability:

http://news.smh.com.au/flannerys-views-on-whales-curious/20071231-1jmg.html

The crew of a protest ship searching for Japanese whaling ships in the Antarctic have described as "curious" claims by prominent scientist Tim Flannery that a sustainable whale cull is possible.

Professor Flannery - a principal research scientist at the Australian Museum in Sydney - said the current Japanese annual target of 935 minke whales was possibly entirely sustainable.

He said there were more important environmental concerns in the Antarctic including fishing pressure on low-end food sources such as krill.

"Given the Japanese government's stated objectives in their science program...is to restart commercial whaling and one of the target species is an endangered species and they have doubled their quota in the last few years... shows they have no interest in sustainability," Mr Walsh told AAP.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 6:22pm

Unlike fishing we can do without whaling. It is not an important food source. Alternatives to whale products have been found many years ago. The issue with whaling is not sustainability, but whether we should be killing (and in an inhumane way), such intelligent creatures. From Dr Walter Starck:

MARINE CONSERVATION

II. The Reality of Whaling

A return to commercial whaling is being actively sought by Japan and Norway through the International Whaling Commission.  While all other major nations oppose lifting of the ban, Japan, through the leverage of aid assistance to small island states, may find enough supporting votes to overturn the prohibition.   In the meantime, every year since the commercial whaling moratorium began in 1986, Japan has continued to kill about 750 whales each year for so called scientific research.

The research is in fact nothing more than the routine data gathering that was conducted during decades of commercial whaling and the catch is still sold commercially.  The only real difference is a reduced kill which they now wish to expand.

The economics of whaling are marginal in terms of employment, profit, and contribution to GDP.  The product plays no significant cultural role beyond prestigious consumption.  The determined effort to pursue whaling despite disapproval from all of the other major nations appears to be nothing more than recalcitrance in response to external disapproval.

While debate has raged over things such as population sizes, recruitment, sustainable yield and broader ecological effects there is a conspicuous silence on the most blatantly obvious issue of all.  It almost appears there is some unspoken taboo on any mention of the ethics of whaling.

Whales and dolphin are sentient beings.  Killing them is on a par with killing members of our own species.  They have brains larger and more complex than our own.  They have complex social relationships.  They treat us with a level of respect and curiosity unequalled by other wild creatures.  Those who have worked closely with them are universally impressed with their intelligence, inventiveness, playfulness and ability to communicate among themselves.  There is good evidence they have self awareness.  In short they are sentient beings.  Anecdotal or otherwise the evidence is overwhelming.  Any burden of proof must lie with the disbelievers.

To slaughter them as prestige food or routine data gathering is unconscionable.  A senior Japanese delegate to the IWC has publicly referred to minke whales as "cockroaches of the sea",  an attitude eerily reminiscent of other perpetrators of genocide.

Neither reasoned argument nor righteous posturing are likely to have any meaningful effect.  Two things that will are internal opposition and market disapproval.  Recent surveys indicate that while 75% of Japanese support a return to commercial whaling the majority of their young people are opposed to it. Support for them and their organizations will have far more influence on Japanese decision makers than overseas protestors.   Second, wherever practical, avoid buying the products of offending nations and encourage others to do so. A growing boycott resulting in even a just perceptible decline in exports would be a very significant matter and provoke strong internal opposition from powerful sectors indifferent to whaling itself.

Politeness in the face atrocity is a form of complicity.  It is time to call it what it is.  Whaling is purely and simply murder.  It has no place in any civilized society.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare estimates that this year some 10 million whale watchers will spend over US$1 billion on tours, travel, food and accommodation in 87 countries.  Whale watching is a rapidly growing and sustainable industry.  It it clearly time for the IWC to begin to focus on the real value of whales instead of endless argument over how many we can kill while leaving enough survivors to not deprive us of ongoing killing in the future.

For more on opposition to whaling in Japan see:
(IKAN) Iruka &Kujira (Dolphin & Whale) Action Network
http://homepage1.nifty.com/IKAN/eng/English1.html

Walter Starck
Editor/Publisher
wstarck@goldendolphin.com

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #55 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:29pm

Unlike fishing we can do without whaling. It is not an important food source. Alternatives to whale products have been found many years ago.

If we wanted to we could do without fishing also. For such a staunch defender of recreational fishing to make this argument is very naive. If he accepts it for whaling, what will he do when the hippies make the same argument about recreational fishing? Has he decided where we should draw the line on intelligence, or has he just been swayed by emotional arguments?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:51pm

If we wanted to we could do without fishing also. For such a staunch defender of recreational fishing to make this argument is very naive. If he accepts it for whaling, what will he do when the hippies make the same argument about recreational fishing? Has he decided where we should draw the line on intelligence, or has he just been swayed by emotional arguments?

No, we can't do without fishing. Unless you want to consign millions of people to starvation. Fish are the main source of protein in many parts of the world. The amount of fish harvested exceeds that of any domestic animal production. Its possible to harvest a signifcant percentage of most fish populations every year and still be perfectly sustainable. The oceans can produce food more efficiently than we can by agriculture I dare say. Aquaculture is very productive also.

Your point about comparing whaling to fishing is taking things to an illogical extreme. No one will suggest that fish are sentient creatures or akin to humans. Also they are extremely fecund and subject to very high levels of natural predation. Fishing does not have much impact on their ecology provided it is not overdone. I don't think a signifacant harvest of whales will have the same sustainability. So why do it then?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #57 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 8:01pm

No one will suggest that fish are sentient creatures or akin to humans.

Plenty of people have suggested exactly that to me.

I don't think a signifacant harvest of whales will have the same sustainability.

So, harvest fewer of them.

The point is, if you support a ban on whaling based on arbitrary reasons, you are playing the same tricks as those people you oppose. I see no difference between Walter Starck saying we should ban whaling because they are smart and PETA saying we should ban recreational fishing because it is cruel.

Fishing is a massive industry and ending it completely may make some people go hungry. But it can be broken up in any number of different ways. Singling out whaling is just one of those ways. It makes more sense to ban catch and release angling than to ban whaling. At least the whale meat is consumed and not wasted.

The original IWC ban was all about sustainability. It had absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, cruelty or other emotional arguments. Walter Starck is supporting the shifting of the goal posts. He is saying that it is OK to intervene temporarily when stocks are at risk, with the promise that the itnervention will be removed when stocks recover, then afterwards change your mind and say that because some people have come to like the animals the intervention will be permanent.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2008 at 8:14pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 8:29pm

Plenty of people have suggested exactly that to me.

Oh really? Read up on animal physiology. It is of considerable doubt that fish feel pain let alone have self awareness or approach human levels of intelligence.

I don't think a significant harvest of whales will have the same sustainability.

So, harvest fewer of them. 

Thats the point - such a low level of harvest will not be a significant food source.

The point is, if you support a ban on whaling based on arbitrary reasons, you are playing the same tricks as those people you oppose. I see no difference between Walter Starck saying we should ban whaling because they are smart and PETA saying we should ban recreational fishing because it is cruel. 

There is a huge difference between whales/dolphins and fish. Its irrefutable. The reasons Walter gave aren't abitrary at all.   

Fishing is a massive industry and ending it completely may make some people go hungry. But it can be broken up in any number of different ways. Singling out whaling is just one of those ways. It makes more sense to ban catch and release angling than to ban whaling. At least the whale meat is consumed and not wasted.

More than some people would go hungy without fishing - millions would.

Released fish aren't wasted, they have a high level of survival. The few that die become part of the food chain.

Comparing fishing to whaling on cruelty grounds is like giving fish human attributes. It doesn't stand up to the slightest scruitiny. The physiological evidence is that fish do not feel what we call pain.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #59 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 8:40pm

It is of considerable doubt that fish feel pain let alone have self awareness or approach human levels of intelligence.

Science has no way of telling whether fish feel pain. The research into fish pain makes some fundamental assumptions about pain that don't stack up.

Thats the point - such a low level of harvest will not be a significant food source.

So what? Since when was the amount of food harvested a particular way a valid point for or against any harvest?

There is a huge difference between whales/dolphins and fish. Its irrefutable. The reasons Walter gave aren't abitrary at all.

Where do you draw the line then? I bet Walter cannot give you an objective measure, just a lot of empty headed arm waving.

The reason is arbitray in the sense that it was introduced after the original ban to keep a ban whose jsutification is expiring. Also, if you introduce intelligence as a valid reason for banning a harvest, what other reasons will you allow? Sure whales are obviously different, which is why Walter feels safe making such a flawed argument - because in a narrow, specific set of circumstances he cannot see the flaws in it and how it will inevitably be used against him.

Released fish aren't wasted, they have a high level of survival.

The ones that don't survive are wasted. The ones that do survive are subject to unnatural acts which many members of the public consider cruel.

The few that die become part of the food chain.

So do the harvested whales. So does all the bycatch from trawlers.

Comparing fishing to whaling on cruelty grounds is like giving fish human attributes.

Walter's argument is like giving whales human attributes. Go ahead and ask him for an objective way to draw the line.

It's true that there is a huge conceptual gap between fish and whales. This just means that it is easy to assume that the line would be drawn somewhere between fish and whales. Yet there is no justification for this assumption. It is a purely emotive argument. Once you support one, you find it much harder to hold back all the others.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Send Topic Print