Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 59
Send Topic Print
JOHN HOWARD (Read 127493 times)
keithy

OzPolitic

Re: Is Howard a Fascist?
Reply #465 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 2:33pm

freediver wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 1:45pm:
Of course power is needed during the day, but to rely on a source of power that is only available during the day is silly.

Don't make the rules too rigid now!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #466 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 3:33pm

freediver - solar power can be generated during the day, stored to be used at peak times.
Solar chimneys are a good effective idea.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #467 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Any energy source can be stored once converted to electricity, but it adds to an already high price.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #468 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:13pm

freediver wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 4:38pm:
Any energy source can be stored once converted to electricity, but it adds to an already high price.

would it not be like a battery and if solar is free from the sun , where does the high price arguement come in, once installed i mean.

Solar stores energy for later use .

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Reply #469 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 8:36pm

oceanz wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:13pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 4:38pm:

would it not be like a battery and if solar is free from the sun , where does the high price arguement come in, once installed i mean.

Solar stores energy for later use .

Renewables have relatively high start up costs, apparently.

For example the 200MW proposed Solar Tower was going to cost 800 Million Dollars.

200MW would be it's peak output and -without figures- I could only guestimate that it would only operate at that peak for about two hours a day on average(I'm guessing!)...

A Nuclear Power Plant pushes out atleast 1000MW(1GW) for a few billion dollars start up cost but it runs 24 hours a day close to full capacity the whole time.

The cost of Uranium is apparently of essentially no consequence to the industry.

That's the problem, as I understand it, in a nutshell.

Huh Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #470 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 9:51am

Keithy -  That is roughly of how I see it too.

I'm assume the peak poutput for a solar chimney is during the peak solar collecting hours.
Prob about 10 am - 4 pm would give good power. Pure guesswork here.
Power stored during that time can be used later at peak hours.
During summer peak usage is during those hours, during winter it is at night.

In uranium they do not consider the cost of uranium, or that there is a limited supply of it, the high maintenance cost of the plants, the massive costs of closing it down, no consideration given to any "failures" during its life, or the disposal of exhausted uraniujm afterwards.

Solar powers basically free, once the system set up. Be ok to have many smaller ones placed locally.
Could almost make them portable !!!

I just see renewables having seemingly higher start up costs, then basically no costs.
Nuclear is still high start up costs, then really expensive the longer it goes.
When it is closed down, massively expensive.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #471 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 11:07am

Interest on the capital and maintenance. All energy is free in that narrow sense.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Reply #472 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 6:52pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 30th, 2007 at 9:51am:
Keithy -  That is roughly of how I see it too.

I'm assume the peak poutput for a solar chimney is during the peak solar collecting hours.
Prob about 10 am - 4 pm would give good power. Pure guesswork here.
Power stored during that time can be used later at peak hours.
During summer peak usage is during those hours, during winter it is at night.

In uranium they do not consider the cost of uranium, or that there is a limited supply of it, the high maintenance cost of the plants, the massive costs of closing it down, no consideration given to any "failures" during its life, or the disposal of exhausted uraniujm afterwards.

Solar powers basically free, once the system set up. Be ok to have many smaller ones placed locally.
Could almost make them portable !!!

I just see renewables having seemingly higher start up costs, then basically no costs.
Nuclear is still high start up costs, then really expensive the longer it goes.
When it is closed down, massively expensive.

The supply of Uranium being limited is not a well established fact, is it?

Because if it is, I can tell you most people are not aware of it being so.

Are the masses being manipulated?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #473 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 9:23pm

keithy, yes, the limited supply of uranium is reasonably well known.

Figures completely off the top of my mind :
Auss supplies about 40 % of the worlds supply, about enough left for 60 years.
less if demand increases dramatically.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #474 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 11:40pm

Must be all one big conspiracy theory...the top end of town is looking to stick it to the little man. Go get em Keithy. You could probably take Mantra along as your PR hack  Roll Eyes Grin

...so many idiots, so little time

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Reply #475 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 2:05am

IQSRLOW wrote on Aug 30th, 2007 at 11:40pm:

Must be all one big conspiracy theory...the top end of town is looking to stick it to the little man. Go get em Keithy. You could probably take Mantra along as your PR hack  Roll Eyes Grin

...so many idiots, so little time

Would you dare to expand those hands a little!

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Reply #476 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 2:14am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 30th, 2007 at 9:23pm:
keithy, yes, the limited supply of uranium is reasonably well known.

Figures completely off the top of my mind :
Auss supplies about 40 % of the worlds supply, about enough left for 60 years.
less if demand increases dramatically.

They are too rough.

I know I don't have too many facts, myself, at times but to fight this anti-Nuclear battle we need to keep a tight perimeter which includes not asserting things that are not true.

True or not...I really don't know...but I suspect it is not. I welcome that news that it is but I have not heard that confirmed on a wide consensus...like the newspapers of the world for instance. We are talking about Nuclear Power that currently supplies 16% of the worlds electricity and if it were to run out any time soon you don't think it would be front-page news.....*whoah!*

The reasoning is because as the demand increases so will the search and the search for Uranium has not begun as akin as it has/did for oil.

Therefore my anti-Nuclear arguments never rest on the un-availability of Uranium until I see hard evidence: of which is never seen, mind you.

It is suspicious but the game is what the game is.

It is a war of attrition with these guys. Business is business but BIG BUSINESS______________:

%#!@!

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

John Howards Father
Reply #477 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 2:45am

http://www.cecaust.com.au/pubs/pdfs/nce05-04.pdf

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: John Howards Father
Reply #478 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 12:29pm

You're not a member of the CEC are you? I've seen their 'newspaper' a few times and they always come across as slightly unhinged. The article you linked to has some rather absurd claims about evidence that Howard's father was involved in some kind of fascist group. I feel stupider for reading most of it now. They launched into a lenthy rant about fascism and their own version of history. They just forgot to mention what the actual evidence is. I suspect their strategy is to lay on the lunatic theories so thickly that people forget to ask for the evidence that kicked off the rant.

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Re: John Howards Father
Reply #479 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 2:23am

freediver wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 12:29pm:
You're not a member of the CEC are you? I've seen their 'newspaper' a few times and they always come across as slightly unhinged. The article you linked to has some rather absurd claims about evidence that Howard's father was involved in some kind of fascist group. I feel stupider for reading most of it now. They launched into a lenthy rant about fascism and their own version of history. They just forgot to mention what the actual evidence is. I suspect their strategy is to lay on the lunatic theories so thickly that people forget to ask for the evidence that kicked off the rant.

No, I am not a member: I just posted the article because it was the first thing I could find when I Googled Howard and Fascism.

My friend at a workplace once said he had friends that wanted to recruit him.....he told me all day about this La-Rouche guy and eugenics and stuff that just put me to sleep.

In the end he reckons he even told them he wasn't sure about it all.

I never was.

It makes me question if I am ignorant and fires neurons, tho.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 59
Send Topic Print