Send Topic Print
JOHN HOWARD (Read 127495 times)
IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: John Howards Father
Reply #480 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:50pm

It makes me question if I am ignorant

Considering some of your recent posts, the answer to that question is relatively easy to work out.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #481 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 5:12pm

IQ would you mind trying to contribute something of more value when you post? It takes a lot of maturity to admit you might be wrong, or ignorant. I would like this forum to be about more than personal 'point scoring'.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #482 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 9:48pm

There is something in what Keithy has said.  Howard's father did belong to some radical right wing party - they had a few members back then as well.  I just can't remember the name.

At the time of reading the article it made me think that Howard would have had a very rigid upbringing and it would account for the sort of man he is today.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #483 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 10:41pm

Evidence of that Mantra?

Or just evidence of your not so subtle but quite transparent smear campaign?

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #484 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 7:27am

The name of the political party John Howard's father allegedly belonged to - and this was in print  until recently - was the "New Guard" .

In the early 1930s a fascist group, the ‘New Guard’ boasted tens of thousands of members. They were convinced that Jack Lang’s New South Wales Labor Government heralded the beginning of a slide into communism. The New Guard’s members were armed and ready at a moment’s notice to mount a coup. Launching a campaign against unions, they turned the streets of Sydney into a battleground in 1931. Despite this, the group is these days best remembered for the somewhat comical ‘unofficial opening’ of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which saw Francis De Groot charge forward on horseback and slash the ribbon before Premier Lang could do so.

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR ANDREW MOORE, HISTORIAN: It was indubitably the most significant fascist group of 20th-century Australia.

IAN SHAW, TERRORISM COMMENTATOR: 50,000 card-carrying members, paid-up members, and probably double that in supporters.

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR ANDREW MOORE: They turned the streets of Sydney into a battlefield in late 1931 and 1932.

IAN SHAW: The New Guard had access to...to a lot of weapons. They had a commitment to maintaining a particular viewpoint and, I think, had the left reacted, we could've seen real political violence in Australia on a scale that we haven't seen and I hope we never see.

It emerged against the backdrop of the Great Depression, a time of great economic dislocation. And there was also the problem in NSW of the emergence of an apparently radical Labor government under the charge of the so-called 'Big Fella', Jack Lang. The election of Lang represented their worst dreams starting to come true.

Challenge it if you want - who cares IQ?  My point was that at the time of reading an article about Howard's father's alleged involvement in this political group - it was easy to understand where Howard got his extreme right views from - particularly his anti-union stance.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2007 at 7:35am by mantra »  

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #485 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 2:02pm

My point was that at the time of reading an article about Howard's father's alleged involvement in this political group - it was easy to understand where Howard got his extreme right views from - particularly his anti-union stance.

And my point was that if there is no evidence to support Howard's fathers involvement with a certain political group, then you don't have a point except to continue your over zealous smear and innuendo campaign.

Lots of people are anti-union. Not because of political affiliations, but because of typical union skulduggery

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Warm welcome for PM in remote community
Reply #486 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 1:38pm

This is how  REAL  Aussies  welcome John Howard .

"Warm welcome for PM in remote community   August 28, 2007 12:56pm

PRIME Minister John Howard was greeted with applause and a warm handshake when he arrived in the remote Northern Territory Aboriginal community of Hermannsburg today.

The 700-strong community, 150km west of the desert town of Alice Springs, is the first indigenous community the Prime Minister has visited since announcing his unprecedented intervention in the Northern Territory nine weeks ago.

Concerns with land tenure and the scrapping of Aboriginal work for the dole were expected to be high on the local council's agenda when Mr Howard held talks with them today.

Walking into the council building this morning, Mr Howard was welcomed by applauding locals.

Following the meeting, Mr Howard will tour the local health clinic, school, store and women's cultural centre before having a barbecue with the community.

Unlike many communities and high profile Aboriginal leaders who oppose Mr Howards's radical and sweeping indigenous reforms, the people of Hermannsburg - the first community to receive health checks for their children - have been open to most of the changes.

But they oppose abolishing the permit system which controls the access of non-indigenous people onto Aboriginal land and the dismantling of Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP), which provides an economic lifeline to bush communities. "

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22320537-5003402,00.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Warm welcome for PM in remote community
Reply #487 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 2:40pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 28th, 2007 at 1:38pm:
This is how  REAL  Aussies  welcome John Howard .

"Warm welcome for PM in remote community   August 28, 2007 12:56pm

PRIME Minister John Howard was greeted with applause and a warm handshake when he arrived in the remote Northern Territory Aboriginal community of Hermannsburg today.

The 700-strong community, 150km west of the desert town of Alice Springs, is the first indigenous community the Prime Minister has visited since announcing his unprecedented intervention in the Northern Territory nine weeks ago.

Concerns with land tenure and the scrapping of Aboriginal work for the dole were expected to be high on the local council's agenda when Mr Howard held talks with them today.

Walking into the council building this morning, Mr Howard was welcomed by applauding locals.

Following the meeting, Mr Howard will tour the local health clinic, school, store and women's cultural centre before having a barbecue with the community.

Unlike many communities and high profile Aboriginal leaders who oppose Mr Howards's radical and sweeping indigenous reforms, the people of Hermannsburg - the first community to receive health checks for their children - have been open to most of the changes.

But they oppose abolishing the permit system which controls the access of non-indigenous people onto Aboriginal land and the dismantling of Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP), which provides an economic lifeline to bush communities. "

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22320537-5003402,00.html

Good article Sprint.

However I feel it says a lot about the forgiving and generous nature of Indigenous peoples and nothing at all about John Howard as a compassionate human being.

The generous and forgiving nature of Aboriginal people means they forgive even the most mercenary individuals among us, as they recognise that deep within everyone of us lies a human being first and foremost.

You are right they are the REAL AUSSIES.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #488 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 8:50pm

He says Ind -pple must join mainstream..so what real help will they receive to do that i wonder..?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #489 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 11:58am

I saw this letter the other day in the SMH and found it very sad. 

A decade with John Howard has included: native title made harder to get with his "bucket loads of extinguishment" legislation; the elected body ATSIC sacked; the Reconciliation Council dumped; paternalistic funding conditions imposed (wash hands and attend school to get Commonwealth monies); the Northern Territory land rights act amended to increase access for mining; and now vulnerable Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory are invaded by troops. It has been a nightmare decade for Aborigines.

We have been reduced to beggars in our own country. Any dissenting voice is ignored by a government that selects "yes" people to promote its own agenda, and the select few are tragically held out as the voice of Aborigines.

The Howard and Rudd response to policies that have kept families and whole communities destitute is to blame the victim. Those victims, long denied a real chance to make a go of it, will now have their income stolen and must go to the local store with food vouchers: those vouchers will have a list of purchasable items on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. The balance of family incomes will never be seen by the beneficiaries because the bureaucracy keeps it to pay other costs. This demeaning approach will create greater dependency and strip the last form of human dignity from those subjected to a destructive policy.

The increased police presence in community areas with "dob-in desks" is designed to humiliate, not rehabilitate. Portraying all Aborigines as pedophiles and drunks, and taking land away, undermines the remaining virtue we have: our dignity. We cannot watch developments in silence any longer. Our people deserve better.

We are establishing a national black voice that will seek to represent the unrepresented Aboriginal communities. We believe we bring experience and sincerity to the national political landscape. In our quest, we will not favour any political party as we see Aboriginal issues as being above party politics. Our single aim is to improve the lot of our people.

We see our culture and people as an asset, not a liability. If we cannot persuade governments, then we will take our case to the court of public opinion - to Australians, to give us a chance to create a better future.

Pat Turner, Olga Havnen, Naomi Mayers, Dennis Eggington, Sam Watson, Bob Weatherall, Michael Mansell, Michael Williams, Gracelyn Smallwood, Nicole Watson, Larissa Behrendt and Bradley Foster Launceston

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: JOHN HOWARD
Reply #490 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 1:40pm

Thats a sad article mantra...

We have been reduced to beggars in our own country. Any dissenting voice is ignored by a government that selects "yes" people to promote its own agenda, and the select few are tragically held out as the voice of Aborigines.

One of the YES people is Noel Pearson..he speaks out on behelf of Ind pple, but I fear as he just gives a nod to everything Governments wants, he certainly does not represent them in any way. Pearson only takes care of his paypacket.

Id like to see how 'national black voice' initiative manifests itself. They are quite right..they have to take action.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: JOHN HOWARD
Reply #491 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 1:55pm

Quote:
Thats a sad article mantra...

One of the YES people is Noel Pearson..he speaks out on behelf of Ind pple, but I fear as he just gives a nod to everything Governments wants, he certainly does not represent them in any way. Pearson only takes care of his paypacket.

Id like to see how 'national black voice' initiative manifests itself. They are quite right..they have to take action.

Pearson is a giant.

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Boycott Howard
Reply #492 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 1:57pm

...and all who support him!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Boycott Howard
Reply #493 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 3:32pm

drat, that's me   Sad

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Re: Boycott Howard
Reply #494 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 1:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 2nd, 2007 at 3:32pm:
drat, that's me   Sad

The kids will never understand why you supported the breaking of the NPT!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 59
Send Topic Print