Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 59
Send Topic Print
JOHN HOWARD (Read 127496 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

The case for Howard
Reply #495 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 10:14am

This is an excerpt from : http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22389303-7583,00.html

"More important, the Government has a lot of good things going for it and it is these that must be hammered. Indeed, my argument is that if the potential winning issues are presented properly, the Government will win.

First, there is the issue of leadership. Howard's qualities are so well known that there is no need to repeat them here. But what is important is that they must be highlighted.

The contrast will have to be made with Rudd, who has certainly struck a chord. But the real point about Rudd is that if he actually stands for anything, it is well-hidden and this will become very apparent as the campaign unfolds.

Indeed, it will be the main task of the campaign apparatchiks to highlight the contrast between the two leaders, in knowledge, experience, achievement and commitments.

This can be turned into a great advantage for the Government, for if Howard's length of office is uncertain, you at least know what he stands for and what you will get for every day he is there.

In contrast, Rudd presents himself as a long-term leader, but you know little about what he stands for on most issues or what he would do on any of his days in office.

The most glaring example is that, as I understand it, there is no ALP tax policy. If you go to party's website, there is an ominous gap between "Small Business" and "Veterans", a gap where you would expect the tax policy to be.

The task for the Government is to force Rudd to drop the cliches and show whatever substance is there, on tax as on everything else. After all, in the face of the overwhelming prosperity and economic success of the past 11 years, surely people can demand a coherent plan that shows how it will be continued.

Second, there is Iraq. It cannot be ignored as an issue, so it should be turned into a good one. Indeed, the Government has what seems to me to be some unanswerable arguments that must be put more forcibly.

These arguments are that there are continuing improvements in security in Iraq (with overwhelming evidence that the surge is working); that if we do not strangle Islamist terrorism there it will seriously hurt us here; that the ALP is a moral coward for denying the people of any country a chance to be free; and that it is simply perverse to fight terror in Afghanistan but throw in the towel in Iraq.

It is the same with the issue of industrial relations, for it also is a potential vote winner and not a ground for pessimism.

More important, the modest degree of free bargaining the Government has introduced is an important contribution to individual freedom.

Instead of being continually on the defensive about the policy, which has been the approach on this subject for too long, it should be presented as a positive freedom for working men and women to have some say in the value of the only thing they have to sell: their labour.

Indeed, the case should be put that the ALP is proposing to stop free people from making their own judgments about their own lives and will reduce the wages of many of them."

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: The case for Howard
Reply #496 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 3:34pm

I agree sprint, the Australian is biased. Such superficial waffle too. It wouldn't be so bad if they focussed on some real differences and explained the implications.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

PMs  humiliating home turf defeat.
Reply #497 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 5:39pm

JOHN Howard may be facing a humiliating defeat in his own seat of Bennelong at the hands of glamour Labor candidate Maxine McKew, with Liberal voters continuing to desert the Prime Minister's cause in droves.

According to an exclusive Galaxy Poll conducted for The Sunday Telegraph after last week's interest-rate rise, voters have solidified their support for Ms McKew, reflecting national polls that show Mr Howard has been unable to substantially cut Labor leader Kevin Rudd's big lead.

The Prime Minister is now facing a seven per cent swing in Bennelong.

That puts Ms McKew in a commanding position with 53 per cent of the vote after distribution of preferences.

The seat only needs a four per cent two-party preferred swing to change hands.

It's understood the Galaxy poll is also in line with internal ALP research in Bennelong.

Labor needs a uniform national swing of five per cent and a net gain of 16 seats to put Mr Rudd in The Lodge.

Along with Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull's now marginal seat of Wentworth, Bennelong is increasingly seen within the ALP as one of the last seats they need to win to take office.

Things have also turned sour for Mr Howard in Western Australia, according to polls.

A Westpoll published this weekend shows a shock swing of eight per cent to Labor, delivering the Opposition 54 per cent of the two-party preferred vote.

That figure would give Labor three additional seats in WA.

If Mr Rudd's vote held up elsewhere in the country, it would almost certainly mean a Labor victory.

The two polls will send shockwaves through the Coalition, which is already reeling from the latest interest-rate rise, a decision expected to further damage the Government's re-election prospects.

And if he is beaten by Ms McKew, Mr Howard would be the first sitting Prime Minister to lose his seat since Stanley Melbourne Bruce in 1929.

Dangerously for Mr Howard, the poll shows that an increasing proportion of voters have now locked in their decision - a figure of 69 per cent compared to 62 per cent for a similar poll in May.

And the swing to Ms McKew is coming from Liberal voters with 20 per cent of Mr Howard's base at the last election now leaning to Labor.

Worse, the motives for moving to Ms McKew and Labor appear to have nothing to do with the attractions of either the high-profile former ABC presenter or Kevin Rudd.

Voters, it seems, are simply disaffected with the Prime Minister.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: PMs  humiliating home turf defeat.
Reply #498 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:04am

Should read: POTENTIAL humiliating defeat, oceans.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #499 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 10:23am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:04am:

true Donald..its not over yet....

Whoever wins election will win Bennelong: analyst
Posted Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:23pm AEST

Maxine McKew says she faces a tough job in Bennelong.

Video: McKew ahead of PM in Bennelong (ABC News) Map: Sydney 2000
Related Story: Labor predicts tight contest in Bennelong Related Story: Howard facing Bennelong rout: poll An election analyst says whichever party wins government at this year's federal election is likely to also secure the Prime Minister's seat of Bennelong.

A Galaxy opinion poll of 800 Bennelong voters has Labor's high-profile candidate Maxine McKew ahead in the Sydney based seat, with 47 per cent of the primary vote.

John Howard trails with 44 per cent.

The ABC's election analyst, Antony Green, says the survey is telling.

"The swing for Labor to win office is about 4.5 per cent, which is about the swing in Bennelong," he said.

"I think it's fair to say that whoever wins government will win Bennelong. If the Government is returned, John Howard will win Bennelong. If Labor wins the election then I think John Howard will probably lose his own seat."

Mr Green says Ms McKew is a real threat.

"The current opinion poll in Bennelong matches every opinion poll we've seen this year and would indicate John Howard will have trouble holding on to his own seat," he said.

Ms McKew is heartened by the poll.

"It's encouraging that people are responding to the message that I'm taking out into the community," she said.

But she says she still has her work cut out for her.

"History is still spectacularly against me. I've got a very very hard job in Bennelong," she said.

Of those surveyed, nearly 70 per cent said their vote was already locked in.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Progs

Port Stephens, NSW
Reply #500 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:24pm

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:04am:

Tut, tut... clutching at straws Trumpie. Bennelong is an extraordinarily marginal seat considering that its held by the PM. Howard doesn't fully realise the danger he's in.

An Aussie for Progressive Progressivness.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
PM would lose seat if election now: poll
Reply #501 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 5:17pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-would-lose-seat-if-election-now-poll/2007/09/17/1189881375645.html

Prime Minister John Howard would lose his seat with a seven per cent swing to Labor if the federal election was held now, a new Morgan poll has found.

The Morgan poll found Liberal voters in Bennelong would be less likely to vote Liberal if Treasurer Peter Costello became leader. The primary vote for a Costello-led government would have been 39.5 per cent, according to the poll, three points lower than if Mr Howard remained as leader.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: PM would lose seat if election now: poll
Reply #502 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 5:26pm

freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2007 at 5:17pm:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-would-lose-seat-if-election-now-poll/2007/09/17/1189881375645.html

Prime Minister John Howard would lose his seat with a seven per cent swing to Labor if the federal election was held now, a new Morgan poll has found.

The Morgan poll found Liberal voters in Bennelong would be less likely to vote Liberal if Treasurer Peter Costello became leader. The primary vote for a Costello-led government would have been 39.5 per cent, according to the poll, three points lower than if Mr Howard remained as leader.

I find polls interesting in that they don't talk abnout the number of people who actually took part in the poll... could be as little as ten people. So I wouldn't take much notice.

Please note: I'm not a Liberal nor Howard supporter... nor am I a Labor supporter.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
ALP calls for three election debates
Reply #503 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 5:37pm

The poll, conducted by Nexus Research over the weekend, found 51 per cent of 600 respondents in Sydney and Melbourne would vote Labor while 36 per cent would vote Liberal.

I would like to see this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/ALP-calls-for-three-election-debates/2007/09/17/1189881386871.html

There should be three debates instead of the traditional one in the federal election campaign because the government has a lot of explaining to do, ALP national secretary Tim Gartrell said.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: ALP calls for three election debates
Reply #504 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 5:43pm

freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2007 at 5:37pm:
The poll, conducted by Nexus Research over the weekend, found 51 per cent of 600 respondents in Sydney and Melbourne would vote Labor while 36 per cent would vote Liberal.

I would like to see this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/ALP-calls-for-three-election-debates/2007/09/17/1189881386871.html

There should be three debates instead of the traditional one in the federal election campaign because the government has a lot of explaining to do, ALP national secretary Tim Gartrell said.

How many people are actually in that electorate? And what section of the electorate was the majority of the people from (Rich neighbourhood or poor neighbourhood)? What kind of jobs do they have? Etc etc. These are also questions that need answering for polls + many more before we can consider them accurate.

Screw the 'three debates.' We should just have one debate, with all of the minor parties included. Not just representatives from 'Labor' and 'Liberal.' It's completely unfair.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #505 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 10:23am

Take that !

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
PM supports possible age ban on models
Reply #506 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 11:18am

Isn't this going a bit over the top? Who is going to model the clothes designed for school kids?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-supports-possible-age-ban-on-models/2007/09/14/1189276941766.html

The federal government would support a ban on models under 16 appearing on fashion runways, Prime Minister John Howard says.

Mr Howard's comments came after 12-year-old Maddison Gabriel won a Gold Coast fashion competition.

The win has earned the student at Hillcrest Christian College on the Gold Coast a modelling contract.

"I think that's too young," Mr Howard told Southern Cross Broadcasting in Melbourne.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: PM supports possible age ban on models
Reply #507 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 2:08pm

Couldn't agree more on this.

The more we encourage minors to look like adults the more it encourages pedophilia.

What happened to the good old days when kids used to dress sloppy anyway?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #508 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 10:26pm

I heard a copper talking about it on the radio .

She said paedophiles don't think they are doing anything wrong. They see kids as being sexual adults.
This sort of thing entirely supports their perversion.

It's like throwing gasoline onto a fire.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #509 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 10:39pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 14th, 2007 at 10:26pm:
I heard a copper talking about it on the radio .

She said paedophiles don't think they are doing anything wrong. They see kids as being sexual adults.
This sort of thing entirely supports their perversion.

It's like throwing gasoline onto a fire.

The thing I really hate... is the parents that allow this krap. I know when I have kids they aren't going to be walking around dressed like adults/teenagers... that's for sure.

"Oh look how cute they look in that bikini and makeup." Pffft... yeah... 'cute' for pedos.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 59
Send Topic Print