Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PoliticalCorrectness has made its way into prisons (Read 6627 times)
ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
PoliticalCorrectness has made its way into prisons
Feb 17th, 2007 at 2:12am

Quote:
Halal beef costs State $2000

Mark Oberhardt

February 12, 2007

THE state government has been ordered to pay a former Muslim prisoner $2000 in compensation because it did not feed him Halal meat.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21211555-3102,00.html

Disgraceful.

Political correctness and multiculturalism madness have now wormed its way into Australian prisons.  Grin

Don't ya just love it?  Tongue

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: PoliticalCorrectness has made its way into pri
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 12:54pm

As far as I know it's always been there. It has always been considered wrong to force a religious person to either starve or eat something that their religion forbids, even in jails.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Vic schools a 'war toy free zone'
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 12:21pm

I think this is going too far. How is a war toy or a wrestling figure not politically correct?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Vic-schools-a-war-toy-free-zone/2007/02/18/1171733594674.html

Toy soldiers, model war planes and wrestling figurines have been banned in Victorian schools.

The ban is part of a move towards political correctness.

Outlawed traditional toys and playground games, with a tenuous link to war, are also shelved, News Limited newspapers say.

Principals said schools feared they could be sued if children played with plastic weapons or war toys.

Child psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Greg said the war toy ban did not have a logical basis.

"There is no evidence playing with toy soldiers or wrestling figurines in any way, shape or form has negative effects on the child's psychological development," Mr Carr-Greg said.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 3:56pm

I can't see how the $2,000 is going to help. Is that their way of paying them off to shut their mouths?
Cool

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 4:37pm

Money talks. If they had been found 'guilty' but not charged anything or forced to make a payout, they wouldn't have taken any notice of the ruling.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 9:16pm

Mate thats flamin stupid. If i had my way, criminals would be living in rooms no bigger than an average bathroom,eat  3 standard meals per day consisting of for example- porridge and tea for breakfast,
sandwich for lunch with water, vegetable mush and grissly meat for dinner........ All of the cheapest quality and with NO RELIGEOUS SENTIMENT. No television, no library, no gym. Prison is supposed to be a punishment not a place filled with creature comforts! Its stupid to have gymnasiums in prisons,the criminal comes out stronger and harder to stop! There should be no entertainment whatsoever, that way, the ex convict will always remember his or her stay and NEVER want to go back. Result....
Criminal activity down 90%!
And of course capital punishment for murder,rape,peadophilia,habitual criminals and- traitors.(hicks)
The hangmans noose is the way to go!!!

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 10:36pm

Then what's stopping ANYONE from demanding to eat lobster every day because it's part of their religion?  Shocked

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 9:03am

You can get sick of lobster very quickly. If it was a genuine religion then they would be eating lobster on the outside every day as well. Not going to happen.

Aussie Nationalist, have you ever been to prison? You make it sound like a holiday camp.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 1:16pm

Ive never been a prisoner in a prison, but yes ive been in there as an official visitor. Lips Sealed(not visiting anyone though)
They have it good in there, even better than people who live in the gutters.
i'd sooner have a bum receive all of these creature comforts than a scummy criminal.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 1:58pm

An aquaintance of mine works for corrective services and seems to take great pride in ensuring their stay is not a comfortable one. However, he does seem to take pity on many of them - mainly those convicted for 'crimes of passion,' ie stupid violent stuff they did in the heat of the moment. I haven't asked him directly whether he thinks they are treated too well, but I will next time I see him. It is not the lack of TV sets or other mod cons that gets to them, it is the lack of freedom, which is not something you can see. You have to live it.

Remember, you have to let them out eventually, and it's no good turning a drooling nutcase onto the streets who has forgotten how to talk to people and doesn't know how the world works any more.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 7:24pm

Crimes of passion? is that like; Hitting a woman during an argument, or seriously injuring a criminal who just tried to rob you?

And about the nutcase who forgets how to talk to people? or know how the world works?
Education mate. ALL non life prisoners should attend classes in prison which educate them on ettiquite, morality, responsibility,etc - stuff which they should have learned in kindergaten!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: PoliticalCorrectness has made its way into prisons
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 5:15am

Having been to a GEO Prison as a 'Just Visiting' on the Monopoly Board,

I am impressed with the way they put a lot of effort into 'Rehabilitating' the Prisoners so as not to become a 'repeat offender' and something of a benefit to society.

This kinda goes against what I and probably most people around the world think a Prison should be.

Sure it shirks me that I could be on the 'outside' and struggle to get given stuff that these Inmates receive on their stainless steel platter.

But hey, Australia is a Prison in a 'cultural' sense, even for the Aboriginals for 40,000 odd years.

I guess there is more than just one right answer to a problem.

...oh, and its good to blow some dust off this topic from way back when on page 420-something. Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:03am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Feb 18th, 2007 at 10:36pm:
Then what's stopping ANYONE from demanding to eat lobster every day because it's part of their religion?  Shocked

Now you're talking...  I only eat prawns, lobster and certain fish....

But you get sick of the diet...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: PoliticalCorrectness has made its way into prisons
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 9:25am

One of the few things I liked about working in the Private Hospitals...
...is how 'Freedom of Choice' (of the Hospital) was put before the Governmentally pushed 'Anti-Discrimination'.

So when a Religious person presents their 'Holy Book' on how the Doctors are not allowed to speak during their operation - the Doctor just throws their 'book' out the door and says "My way or the highway!?"

So when a Religious person tells me how I should be doing my job as a Medic, I can say - "This isn't a Holy Place sorry, so you just have to do as we 'medically' say and I say that you are 'free to leave' if you don't agree!?"

It was a luxury to have such, whereas in the Public Hospital, it seems 'Laws, Religion, Military, etc' all have a priority over Medicine. It was amazing how many times you can't put a Band-Aid on someone as it was against the law.  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 10:49am

DILLIGAF wrote on Feb 18th, 2007 at 9:16pm:
Mate thats flamin stupid. If i had my way, criminals would be living in rooms no bigger than an average bathroom,eat  3 standard meals per day consisting of for example- porridge and tea for breakfast,
sandwich for lunch with water, vegetable mush and grissly meat for dinner........ All of the cheapest quality and with NO RELIGEOUS SENTIMENT. No television, no library, no gym. Prison is supposed to be a punishment not a place filled with creature comforts! Its stupid to have gymnasiums in prisons,the criminal comes out stronger and harder to stop! There should be no entertainment whatsoever, that way, the ex convict will always remember his or her stay and NEVER want to go back. Result....
Criminal activity down 90%!
And of course capital punishment for murder,rape,peadophilia,habitual criminals and- traitors.(hicks)
The hangmans noose is the way to go!!!

Pity none of that actually solves any problems, just being a vindictive arse. Plenty of harsh punishments and treatments are used around the world and in the past, none solved crime.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print