Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Is David Hicks Guilty as charged?

« Last Modified by: on: Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:46pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
DAVID HICKS (Read 32821 times)
auzgurl
Ex Member

DAVID HICKS
Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:22pm

If it means he will be bought back home more expiditiously  why shouldnt he ?

Is this straight forward or would he have to watch his back that if he did that that the Americans might throw the book at him? Undecided Undecided
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007 at 12:13pm by ozadmin »  

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Re: Should David hicks plead guilty and take a ple
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:25pm

Quote:
 If it means he will be bought back home more expiditiously  why shouldnt he ?

Is this staright forward or would he have to watch his back that if he did that that the Americans might throw the book at him? Undecided Undecided

it depends on how strong the evidence the US has against him is. if the evidence is weak, then David Hicks may choose to take his chances, otherwise his better off pleading guilty.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:36pm by Gavin »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:40pm

Not if he is innocent.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:47pm

Why not Freediver , doesnt this kind of thing happen all the time?

Why would it be wrong  or unwise in this case?

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:01pm

well, if a person thinks they are innocent, why should they admit that they are guilty?

personally, i reckon if it took 5 years to get to gather enough evidence to go to court, then i'm guessing the evidence against David Hicks is weak at best. that doesn't matter, since regardless of the result of the trial, he will still be seen as a terrorist in most people's eyes.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:07pm

He's probably more concerned about spending the rest of his life in jail than having his reputation ruined.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:11pm

freediver wrote on Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:07pm:
He's probably more concerned about spending the rest of his life in jail than having his reputation ruined.

i doubt he will be free, even if he is found to be not guilty.

if his guilty, he will get life in prison (or death penalty).
but if he is not guilty, then he would probably be locked up on some lesser charge or if he is set free then he would probably be killed by someone else who thinks his a terrorist anyway.

alot of people have judged him as a terrorist already, even before his trial. i think in this case, people forget the "innocent, until proven guilty" rule.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:17pm by Gavin »  

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:29pm

i doubt he will be free, even if he is found to be not guilty.  

if his guilty, he will get life in prison (or death penalty).  
but if he is not guilty, then he would probably be locked up on some lesser charge or if he is set free then he would probably be killed by someone else who thinks his a terrorist anyway.  
-----------------------

the fact that he may be found guilty is what Im worried about, even if he thinks his chances are good, he should not chance it..if they get  a guilty verdict on him they will give him the death penalty,,,no ifs.They've( the Americans) got to make it look like they stand by their convictions after all this time of keeping him locked up..got to justify what theyve done to him.

I think he should do a deal if his lawyer thinks its the best for him...noone cares if Hicks is innocent. There is no justice American style..we all  Angry Angryknow that .

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:39pm

[ftp][/fhttp://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=national%20news&subclass=political&story_id=564494&category=politicaltp]

Hicks to enter not-guilty plea
Paul Maley

SYDNEY: David Hicks would plead not guilty to terrorism charges when he fronted a judge in 11 days' time, his defence lawyer said yesterday.
The announcement of his first court appearance came as a Federal Court judge dismissed yesterday a bid by the Australian Government to stop an attempt by Hicks's lawyers to bring him home.

Prime Minister John Howard said yesterday that Hicks would appear in a US military commission for arraignment on March 20 at the US naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The 31-year-old Hicks has been a prisoner at the US base for the past five years.

Hicks's American civilian lawyer, Joshua Dratel, said the former Adelaide man would plead not guilty to a single charge of providing material support to a terrorist organisation.

"What did you expect him to do?" Mr Dratel asked The Canberra Times.

Chief prosecutor Colonel Mo Davis said the purpose of the hearing would be to advise Hicks of his rights, resolve any questions about who would serve as his legal counsel and establish a preliminary trial schedule.

He said he did not think recent legal challenges to the military commissions would delay the hearing, which should only last a few hours.

"As far as I know everything is progressing and is on schedule," he said. "

----------------------------

this just in... INSANITY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:43pm

You mean that our government tried to stop him coming home?

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:51pm

yes that too freediver..but no more that he intends to plead 'not guilty'..prolonging his own detention isnt he?

Isnt there an investigation by the courts against the government for NOT intervening on his behalf and if this is so, which I believe it is ,,what a shameful indictment on our 'Government' that we care so little about our pple in trouble?

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:56pm

Quote:
yes that too freediver..but no more that he intends to plead 'not guilty'..prolonging his own detention isnt he?

Isnt there an investigation by the courts against the government for NOT intervening on his behalf and if this is so, which I believe it is ,,what a shameful indictment on our 'Government' that we care so little about our pple in trouble?

i think alot of people consider David Hicks to be a traitor and so he is no longer "one of us",  and therefore he is not worth helping.

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:06pm

Gavin, a lot of pple perhaps..but thankfully not all the pple.

I dont think there are many American sympathisers left in th world. Although America thinks there is.

IP Logged

TommySix

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 8:51pm

Well there are a lot of American sympathisers. Themselves.  Wink

However, back on point. An innocent man should never ever plead guilty. It's about truth, dignity and holding a governing entity to its own legal obligations. Unless of course they have your wife and kids and you're not exactly Jack Bauer...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Call to action on David Hicks
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 1:01pm

Like most Australians, we're not convinced that the latest steps by the
Australian and US governments on David Hicks mean that much, except that
he's going to stay in Guantanamo Bay longer at this rate, without his
day in court.

View our call to action advertisement at

http://www.rightsaustralia.org.au/articles114.html

and forward it on widely to others who you know are concerned. The
advertisement calls on people to put pressure on Government MPs to bring
Hicks home for trial - not just express their concern. (You can even
re-mix the advertisement to personalise it for your friends or local
MPs.)

Also in the Current Issues section of the website, read the UN's
comments on Australia's counter terror laws.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/US-document-shows-reported-abuse-of-POWs/2007/02/07/1170524142519.html

A junior US officer reported witnessing Taliban prisoners of war being sexually abused in Afghanistan weeks after Australian terrorist suspect David Hicks says he was anally penetrated by his American captors.

Documents obtained by AAP show the officer reported a Taliban prisoner was abused on February 11, 2002.

"I noticed that one of the MPs (military police) was lubricating two of his fingers preparing to perform the anal probe instead of the medical person," says the officer's sworn statement, made in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

"Without warning the EPW (Enemy Prisoner of War), and in a cruel way, he push both his fingers into the EPWs anus.

"This caused the EPW to scream and fall to the ground violently."

Hicks's father Terry Hicks said last year the Australian "suffered beatings and anal penetration".

SBS Insight program...David Hicks.. http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172466549
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2007 at 11:08am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print