Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
ISLAM [in Australia - from general board] (Read 24043 times)
ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
ISLAM [in Australia - from general board]
Mar 11th, 2007 at 4:43pm

From the news-story I previously posted:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21361640-1702,00.html

Quote:
Muslim blames drought on 'lack of faith'
March 11, 2007

A MUSLIM cleric has blamed the drought, climate change and pollution on the lack of faith Australians have in Allah.

Sheik Mohammed Omran told followers at his Melbourne mosque that out-of-control secular scientific values had caused environmental disaster.

“The fear of Allah is not there,” he said at a recent meeting. "So we now have a polluted earth, a polluted water, a wasteland.

“What are the people now crying for? The prophet told you hundreds of years ago, 'Look after the water'.”

What a hypocrite!  Roll Eyes

So couldn't I say that the Pakistani earthquakes, the wars in the Middle East, the famines in Africa, the Tsunami in Indonesia, were all as a result of the fact that they were all MUSLIM and that God/Allah was pissed off with Muslims?

What a joke these people really are! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008 at 1:47pm by freediver »  

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

TommySix

OzPolitic

Re: The further stupidity of Muslim clerics.
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:45pm

The same stupidity extends to Christian fundies such as blaming 9/11 on homosexuals and America's lack of faith in god... or New Orleans on homosexuals and lack of faith in god  etc etc ad nauseum.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:54pm

Any religion will keep you in the dark ages.
Theres nothing more that fundamentalist religious nuts are scared of than technology which with each passing day is coming closer to proving the fact that there is no god.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 8:45pm

From one religion to another:

Quote:
Reverend Nile earlier argued that there has been no study of the impact of Muslims in Australia and there needs to be some breathing space.

"It would be best if we had a moratorium on Muslim immigration into Australia as I have suggested for 10 years," he said.

He's not too popular at the moment.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200703/1868762.htm?sydney

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 8:53pm

Quote:
He's not too popular at the moment.

What gives you that idea mantra?  Huh

Because Iemma the multiculturalism bigot disagrees with him?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Yeah well to agree with Fred Nile would be a first for me so i wont agree with him out of tradition.
Australia is built on immigration and needs it to survive so where do we get more from if not from the Middle East?
I would prefer Italians or other Europeans not moosy's or Asians but thats just me.

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 9:15pm

For me... ANYWHERE BUT the Middle East or Africa!!!

ANYWHERE.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 5:36pm

Oh well, at least this is better than those who welcome disasters as a sign of the second coming. He is a bit of a hypocrit though as the middle east has been turned to desert in part by unsustainable agricultural practices. But then again, we are doing the same thing.

Theres nothing more that fundamentalist religious nuts are scared of than technology which with each passing day is coming closer to proving the fact that there is no god.

The question of whether there is a God is not a scientific one and is beyond the scope of science and the technology derived from it. Religion has nothing to fear of science, and vice versa. It is only those who understand neither that see something to be afraid of.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 9:40pm

Did you all hear?

El-hilaly and keysar trad are going to start an islamic party this year.

The moron reckons he's going to get seats at every level! Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Muslim leaders warn of tax cheats
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:36am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Muslim-leaders-warn-of-tax-cheats/2007/03/13/1173722408361.html

Muslim leaders have warned that hardline clerics are encouraging their followers to cheat the tax system because they consider paying income tax contrary to Sharia law.

Sydney-based Islamic leader Fadi Rahman says extremist Muslim clerics who were preaching messages against paying income taxes were also staunchly opposed to western ideologies, The Australian reports.

Mr Rahman said he had heard Friday sermons delivered by hardline clerics in Sydney which highlighted the importance of cheating the tax system.

"I mean, just like how you've got clerics (with) extreme views who are telling the Muslims in the western world to declare war against the very country that they live in and the very country that is paying for their day to day life, you'll find that these are the clerics that are telling them to dodge the tax system," Mr Rahman told News Limited.

The youth leader and president of the Independent Centre for Research Australia said tax itself was not allowed in Islam.

"So they (clerics) encourage them that if there's any way that you can dodge paying the tax, then you should do it."

Clerics pushing for the tax evasion espoused a fundamentalist form of Islam called Wahabbism, News Ltd reported.

Prominent Islamic cleric Khalil Shami said he had heard of imams encouraging tax evasion.

The fundamentalist Ahlus Sunnah Wal-Jamaah Association, which is headed by cleric Mohammed Omran, rejected suggestions that his imams were calling on followers to cheat on their taxes.

"Of course we pay taxes and we go as far as collecting money from our Muslim communities and donating it to organisations (such as the Royal Children's Hospital) to help," the Wahabbi organisation's spokesman Abu Yusuf said.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Re: Muslim leaders warn of tax cheats
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:46am

"they consider paying income tax contrary to Sharia law."

i think that's enough to encourage everyone to convert to islam since u could then push for all income tax to be abolished. i pay too much tax. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

but it makes me wonder, if income tax is an illegal concept according to sharia law, then how do islamic government's operate?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:48am

This is disturbing.  Meanwhile these people who don't believe in paying taxes access our doctors, hospitals, public transport, education and baby bonuses.  Is this fair?

No wonder the NSW state government is having a hard time trying to keep public services up to scratch.

They should be ashamed.  My children who are both fairly low income workers at present have been hounded by the taxation department for tax returns back to the age of 13 - when they weren't even working or receiving an income.

How does this work - does the taxation department only chase those who are honest and declare everything?

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:50am

they have to pay some tax, i highly doubt the tax office is that unorganised to the point these people aren't paying anything.

by the way, why would ur children submit tax returns at the age of 13 when they weren't working? i thought u only submit a tax return when u are earning an income.

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 11:05am

Why would they be paying tax if they are on the dole and working for cash?The GST was introduced to make sure everyone pays.Who profits from the GST? The feds=Howard

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Aloof - both my children have had part time jobs from the age of 15 until they finished their schooling.  Tax returns have always been lodged.

A couple of months ago (even though my son doesn't live here) the taxation department sent letters saying that unless they declared their incomes from year....s to year...s they would be subject to a heavy penalty.

For both of them the request dated back to the years both of them were 13.  I have no idea why this happened.  After phoning the tax department they told me  these requests were computer generated, but regardless of this - they both had to sign declarations or would be subject to a penalty.

IP Logged

TommySix

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 11:56pm

mantra wrote on Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:48am:
They should be ashamed.  My children who are both fairly low income workers at present have been hounded by the taxation department for tax returns back to the age of 13 - when they weren't even working or receiving an income.

How does this work - does the taxation department only chase those who are honest and declare everything?

That is the norm with all branches of the public service. They go after easy targets and then occasionally the high profile to look as though they're doing something.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
'Turn the world to Islam'
Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:51am

Quote:
The 'Benefits' of Diversity.
RADICAL Islamic literature, DVDs and websites are proliferating across Melbourne while authorities are seemingly helpless to stop the underground trade in hate talk.

One book, Man-Made Laws Vs. Shari'ah, urges Muslims not to "accept anything from their governments and rulers except sharia", stating any other system is heresy.

The book prescribes stoning for adultery and drinking alcohol and advocates flogging for casual sex.

Another 'benefit' spawning from Islam. Ah... the pleasures of 'diversity.'  Roll Eyes

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Re: 'Turn the world to Islam'
Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:02am

I sure hope the politicians know of and read this site.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:14am

Lets not forget the dvd thats been circulated by the leader of the ''global islamic youth'' movement based in liverpool- MY HOME REGION! Angry

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 8:41am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:51am:
Another 'benefit' spawning from Islam. Ah... the pleasures of 'diversity.'  Roll Eyes

And does any of it look like its about to become Australian law??

If you hang on every word some random psychos publish as though it is all about to happen, you certainly are going to get paranoid about your situation... and you certainly are paranoid...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 10:49am

"We are facing an enemy that uses children as human bombs, mothers as suicide bombers, and men driven by the glory of death .... With the spread of radical Islamic fundamentalism throughout the world, it is important for the people of the West to know and understand what to expect and what to do about it."

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #21 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 2:53pm

Quote:
If you hang on every word some random psychos publish as though it is all about to happen, you certainly are going to get paranoid about your situation... and you certainly are paranoid...

Zoso, can you please stick to the subject and quick taking cheap shots at me? Seriously. I've taken great steps on this board to stick to the topic and cease dishing it out, can you please make an effort to do the same?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

ocean_blue.

OzPolitic

south australia
Reply #22 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 3:00pm

I think Trump..there are a l;ot of pple including me, who dont fully appreciate exactly what Islam is..Its a word we hear a lot, but what is the actual defintion of Islam?

I think for those who already are in your corner its abunadantly clear..is Islam a religion?,  or race of pple..or what.?

For the discussion to pick up more posters who better understand the topic, it might be useful to clarify this point.

If Im really dense and you couldnt b bothered, thats fine..I understand Undecided

hi there Smiley

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #23 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 3:10pm

Well Oceanblue,

When I mention the word 'Islam,' I mean the 'religion' Islam.

That's precisely/officially what Islam is... a religion.

It's in the same category as Christianity, Judaism, Buddism and Hinduism (Although Hinduism is a variety of religions and is a broad term).

Some people like Zoso like to see Islam as a biological race of people, but this is incorrect. It just so happens that all the people of the world follows this religion, and all the people who criticise it (me) seem to come off as racists. To me, people who use this definition are confusing average folk with what the true definition of Islam is...

The simple fact is, there can be European (white people) who follow Islam (such as people from Yugoslavia in southern-eastern Europe) therefore, it is not a 'race' of people.

I hope I've cleared things up, Auzgurl Oceanblue. Wink

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 3:55pm

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 2:53pm:
Zoso, can you please stick to the subject and quick taking cheap shots at me? Seriously. I've taken great steps on this board to stick to the topic and cease dishing it out, can you please make an effort to do the same?

My apologies for my remark, I was actually on topic and trying to make a point, and you didn't answer my question either which would have kept us a lot more on topic. Now I would like to believe that you are above cheap shots... unfortunately this slipped out:
Quote:
Some people like Zoso like to see Islam as a biological race of people, but this is incorrect.

Exactly when have I said anything along these lines? Our arguments have always been about cultural differences inherent in the religion of Islam? I do not believe you are racist, I think maybe AN is but we have settled our differences and that is irrelevant. I think you are a cultural bigot... simple. I do not even believe in the existence of 'biological races'...

Cheap shot indeed.

So can you answer my original question: "does any of it look like its about to become Australian law?? "

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 4:21pm

Hi DonaldTrump and Ausnat,

Would there be any chance of sending me a copy of either of the [quote]the dvd thats been circulated by the leader of the ''global islamic youth'' movement based in liverpool [quote] , or the other article you talked about ?

I may send copies to newspapers/ tv ststions etc etc .

Some people are more intent on maintaining our freedom of speech than making clever retorts.

Thanks

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 4:46pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 4:21pm:
Some people are more intent on maintaining our freedom of speech than making clever retorts.

Why do you imply the two mutually exclusive? I would have thought they are one in the same?

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 10:28pm

Quote:
does any of it look like its about to become Australian law??

No... not nation-wide... yet.

But at the very least, Islamic parties could win SEATS in federal, state or local Governments.

Would it be IMPOSSIBLE for them to win seats in Muslim dominated suburbs? Given the close-knit nature of their communities?

And any non-muslim already living within these areas would kinda be screwed, wouldn't they?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 10:54pm

donald - uhuh, I agree basically with that.
VERY hard to ... disperse people who are fanatical extremists.
Only have to look at the laws under muslims, to see the .. stranglehold it can put on people.
70 lashes for drinking or listening to music under sharia law. 4 men to testify against another man in a rape case. 2 years jail for carrying a bible.

In the hope of being called a "fundamental christian" again  Smiley , there is no other belief that has anywhere near similar "rules."

It is the only belief that defines itself as being incompatible with anyone who is not of that belief.

There is no "do not judge others", or "helping a samaritan woman at a well",  "dining with prostitutes', "enlisting tax collectors"" or  "turning the other cheek", being against religion and for spirituality.

the koran is convert to muslim or be beheaded. Sometimes lose your feet and hands too !!
It is kill all the jews and the christians.
That is all stated in the koran.

allah means submission.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

What will hilali say
Reply #29 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:29pm

An Iraqi Muslim man allegedly raped a Muslim woman in Sydney's southwest as "punishment" for her reading the Bible, The Daily Telegraph reports.
The Campbelltown District Court heard yesterday that Abdul Reda Al Shawany told the woman "Let your Jesus help you", and sexually assaulted her twice.
Al Shawany has pleaded not guilty to two counts of having sexual intercourse without consent between September 1 and 27, 2002.
Yesterday Crown prosecutor Michael O'Brien said the woman — a practising Muslim — had allegedly received threats from members of her faith for reading the Bible.
O'Brien said the woman — a practising Muslim — had allegedly received threats from members of her faith for reading the Bible.
The woman claims she met Al Shawany, who she had known from overseas, at Warwick Farm railway station in September 2002 after he told her he had mail to deliver to her.
Al Shawany then allegedly took her to a Warwick Farm unit where he assaulted her.
"She was wearing a hijab. The accused grabbed the hijab, the veil, and pulled it tight across her mouth," O'Brien told the court.
"She fell to the floor and she couldn't scream because she had a hijab tight across her mouth."
After raping her, Al Shawany allegedly said: "Let your Jesus help you."
Al Shawany, 52, denied to police that he had sexual intercourse with the woman or threatened her.
"My client is not a zealot," his barrister Chris Pike told the court.
The woman is expected to return to the witness stand today when the second day of the week-long trial commences before Judge David Knox.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=261451

I feel sickened.

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Re: What will hilali say
Reply #30 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:02pm

"Al Shawany has pleaded not guilty to two counts of having sexual intercourse without consent between September 1 and 27, 2002."

yeah, i heard about this earlier today, apparently this guy raped this woman in her apartment on the 1st September and then did it again in her apartment on the 27th September. but here is the weird part, on the 2nd occassion there was no evidence of the guy breaking into her apartment.

now, call me a skeptic, but if a woman was raped, would she let the guy into her apartment 3 weeks later so that he would do it again?

i reckon it's more a case of a relationship gone sour, so this woman is using the allegation of rape.

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:05pm

also, that line he said "Let Jesus help you", that doesn't make sense anyway since muslims recognise Jesus as a prophet anyway.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:05am

Since when are rapists supposed to  make sense?

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:31am

freediver wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:05am:
Since when are rapists supposed to  make sense?

true, but it doesn't make sense that this women after being raped would let her rapist into her apartment three weeks later so that he can do it again.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:47am

So now rape victims are supposed to make sense? Haven't you seen Law and Order?

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:56am

freediver wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:47am:
So now rape victims are supposed to make sense? Haven't you seen Law and Order?

Mate, please don't refer to a TV show, since it's drama that is supposed to entertain people and may not be true.

But think about it, if u were a rape victim, would u let ur rapist back into ur apartment a few weeks later? considering that rape is quite tramatic, it wouldn't make sense that she willingly let the guy back into her place. i'm pretty sure this guy's defence team would argue that, and some jury members would probably think that as well.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:06am

Muslim women are trained for life to do as they are told. If they disobey they are stoned to death. Plus, there are plenty of ways to gain entry to someone's house against their will without leaving evidence. The lack of evidence is meaningless.

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:12am

freediver wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:06am:
Muslim women are trained for life to do as they are told. If they disobey they are stoned to death.

They are taught to do as they are told, by who? In most cases, that would be her parents or husband.
That doesn't extent to listening to other people besides them.

And Australia doesn't have stoning, so i have no idea what ur on about.

Quote:
Plus, there are plenty of ways to gain entry to someone's house against their will without leaving evidence. The lack of evidence is meaningless.

Lack of evidence is meaningless?? Shocked Shocked
wow, i didn't think we had a judicial system where people would be charged without evidence.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:26am

The lack of evidence for break and enter is meaningless.

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:33am

freediver wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:26am:
The lack of evidence for break and enter is meaningless.

i wouldn't say that it's meaningless, it suggests that the guy was allowed into her apartment.

now considering he had raped this woman a few weeks earlier that is very unusual. if i was this guy's lawyer i would argue it was a consensual relationship gone sour, especially when she took three years to report the incident.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Muslim scumbag only gets 1 year.
Reply #40 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 11:58pm

Quote:
Cronulla stabbing driver jailed but freed

Les Kennedy
April 12, 2007 - 11:34AM

A Sydney man (aka. Muslim), who pleaded guilty to driving a getaway car after a reprisal (Assault and rejection of Aussie values) stabbing attack following the 2005 Cronulla riot, was today sentenced to 13 months in jail (Which should have been bigger, but was kept down due to 'Islamic sensitivity').

Serhan pleaded guilty to a charge of being an accessory (Laughing and cheering his fully sick brothers on) after the fact to the stabbing (4 times) of a 26-year-old Cronulla man outside the Woolooware Golf Club.

The victim, referred to in court only by the name "Dan", was leaving the club with a friend and two young women when they were set upon by four men who pulled up in beige sedan.

In the attack, the blade of the knife broke off and was embedded in the victim's back.

The court heard that, although Serhan pleaded guilty, he has refused to tell police the identity of the perpetrator.  

So this guy knows the attacker, but isn't naming him? And they're ONLY giving him 13 months???

They could have easily said if he didn't name the attacker, they would give him 10 years... but no... they decided to be 'politically correct' about it so not to 'upset' the large Sydney Islamic community... oh diddums.

Man... did anyone see that parasite smirking about it on tv tonight? That's up there with one of the most sickening images I've seen all year. No wonder these basterds are so hated in Sydney.

This mirrors what's happening all over Europe. Coincidence? Or is there a pattern emerging here?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Re: Muslim scumbag only gets 1 year.
Reply #41 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 8:38am

I can see how it would make you angry Donald- Its definitely not right,. He should have been made to name his attacker-they dont run our country, isnt that supposed to be us?

IP Logged

JJJ(Guest)

Reply #42 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 9:15am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Apr 12th, 2007 at 11:58pm:
So this guy knows the attacker, but isn't naming him? And they're ONLY giving him 13 months???

They could have easily said if he didn't name the attacker, they would give him 10 years... but no... they decided to be 'politically correct' about it so not to 'upset' the large Sydney Islamic community... oh diddums.

The guy claims he was high on crystal meth at the time and can't remember the incident, very convenient i know, but unless he confesses to who did it the police can't charge him with the attack. Also, the judge can't increase his sentence, since they cannot prove he really knows who the attacker was (unless they have the ability to read his mind).

The police could only charge him with being an accessory since they could prove he was the getaway driver.

And i don't think this is a case of being politically correct, just another case of the judicial system failing again. If u cast ur memory back to a couple of months ago, the Australian rioter involved in the Cronulla riots got 11 months, so this sentence is on par. I reckon both sentences were light, and both the Australian and Lebanese rioter should have got longer prison sentences.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 5:51am

I think that was the idea behind higher punishment for racially motivated attacks. I forget the legal term or whether it is even implimented in Australia. Anyone know? The only way to break this cycle of violence is to severely punish anyone who participates.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #44 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 11:01pm

Quote:
the Australian rioter involved in the Cronulla riots got 11 months, so this sentence is on par.

I think assisting in attempted murder and assault are slightly different things, JJJ.

In fact, the Australian who was punished for assault was given 11 months.

Whereas this Muslim was given 9 months for assisted murder. As well as breaking the law by covering up for the attacker (And yes, I am aware that he claimed he was high on ice so he couldn't remember). Oh... and let's not forget drug-use then.

So... to summarise...

Give assistance to attempted murder, covering up for the attacker and drug-use = 9 months.

Assault= 11 months

This is DEFINITELY a politically correct statement and a victory for Islam and multiculturalism in Australia.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:09pm

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Apr 14th, 2007 at 11:01pm:
Give assistance to attempted murder, covering up for the attacker and drug-use = 9 months.

Assault= 11 months

the only thing the police could prove was that he was the driver during the incident and that he was on drugs, they can't prove that he is covering up for the attacker.

and it's funny how u distinguish assault from attempted murder, but the thing is assault causes bodily harm which can lead to death. so technically, assault would be a form of attempted murder.

so 11 months compared to 9 months.
i agree with JJJ, the sentences are pretty much similiar and isn't a case of political correctness.

IP Logged

AUShole

OzPolitic

WA
Reply #46 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 6:14pm

skeptic wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:09pm:
and it's funny how u distinguish assault from attempted murder, but the thing is assault causes bodily harm which can lead to death. so technically, assault would be a form of attempted murder.

Assault is not a form of attempted murder. To be convicted of murder, it must be proved you formed an INTENT to kill. Attempted murder must have elements of intent and (usually) physicalilty. Absence of physicality is conspiracy to murder.

Aggravated assault / GBH is quite different to murder. There is no intent to kill, only maim. If a person dies as a result of their injuries, it would be manslaughter.

So in this case, without capturing the murderer, or determining motive, the police would be unable to determine the intention of the attacker. Therefore they would have to rule out murder. Effectively, the accomplice has been charged with accessory to aggravated assault (i.e. assisted evasion, not assisting the crime). They should receive a lesser sentence than someone actually carried out an assault. 9 months is less than 11 months, so it seems the sentence is fair.

Regardless of the law, it sounds like from what DT says, the perpetrator is a maniac, and should be locked up indefinitely. I would imagine the coppers are watching him right now, just waiting for him to make a mistake. Morons like this always do.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #47 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 12:24am

Quote:
the only thing the police could prove was that he was the driver during the incident and that he was on drugs, they can't prove that he is covering up for the attacker. 

I didn't realise you were part of the investigation. Any more inside knowledge you can fill us in with?

Quote:

Note: The Australian was using his hands only, did not have fighting training and as far as I know, did not cause serious damage to his victim. That's not 'attempted murder' by any stretch of the imagination.

Note: This Muslim watched as his 'bro' plunged a KNIFE into an Australians back 4 times.

Can you see the difference here?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:50am

Quote:
I didn't realise you were part of the investigation. Any more inside knowledge you can fill us in with?

i can say the same thing about you since u are so adament that this guy knows who the attacker is.

but do u know that covering up a crime or concealing evidence from the police is also a crime? so considering that he wasn't charged with those crimes indicates that the police didn't have any evidence that he knows who the attacker is.

remember to be charged with something, the police need evidence, otherwise ur just wasting the courts time.  

Quote:
Note: The Australian was using his hands only, did not have fighting training and as far as I know, did not cause serious damage to his victim. That's not 'attempted murder' by any stretch of the imagination.

Note: This Muslim watched as his 'bro' plunged a KNIFE into an Australians back 4 times.

my point is u don't need a weapon or specialist fighting training to kill someone, it is possible for an amateur to beat someone to death using his fists.

and just because he didn't cause serious damage to the victim doesn't make it any less of an "attempt". put it this way, using ur logic, then one can argue that the Lebs committed assault since they didn't kill the guy they stabbed.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2007 at 2:03pm by skeptic »  

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #49 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 8:29pm

Quote:
i can say the same thing about you since u are so adament that this guy knows who the attacker is. 

but do u know that covering up a crime or concealing evidence from the police is also a crime? so considering that he wasn't charged with those crimes indicates that the police didn't have any evidence that he knows who the attacker is. 

remember to be charged with something, the police need evidence, otherwise ur just wasting the courts time. 

I'm just going by what the court and media heard. And it backs up what I'm saying. You on the other hand-- speculating. Therein lies the difference. He was the driver, yes. It helped the attacker get away? Yes. Is the guy covering up for the attacker? Affirmative.

Why do you continue to argue against this point?

Quote:
my point is u don't need a weapon or specialist fighting training to kill someone, it is possible for an amateur to beat someone to death using his fists. 

and just because he didn't cause serious damage to the victim doesn't make it any less of an "attempt". put it this way, using ur logic, then one can argue that the Lebs committed assault since they didn't kill the guy they stabbed.

So you reckon... a guy attacking someone with his fists should get just as heavy sentencing, as someone who stabbed someone 4 times in the back?

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 9:24am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 8:29pm:
I'm just going by what the court and media heard. And it backs up what I'm saying. You on the other hand-- speculating. Therein lies the difference. He was the driver, yes. It helped the attacker get away? Yes. Is the guy covering up for the attacker? Affirmative.

actually, based on what the court was saying they can only prove that he was the getaway driver and that was the crime he was charged with.

u say he covering up for the attacker, well prove it? he claims he was high on drugs and can't remember the incident, do u have evidence that his lying and really knows who did it? and don't bother coming back and saying "well proof he really doesn't know the attacker", since the onus is on the court to prove it, not on him.

like i said before, u need evidence, otherwise ur just wasting the courts time.  

Quote:
So you reckon... a guy attacking someone with his fists should get just as heavy sentencing, as someone who stabbed someone 4 times in the back?

If it involves a death of a person, does the choice of weapon really matter? No, u need to look at the intention of the attacker, i.e. did he intent to kill or just cause bodily harm.

and in this case, the Leb guy wasn't the attacker anyway, he was just the driver.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:16am by skeptic »  

IP Logged

keithy

OzPolitic

Osama Bin Laden
Reply #51 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 10:39am

Does he have anything to say?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Osama Bin Laden
Reply #52 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 1:01pm

He has. he can say he is a muslim who follows the koran correctly.
Check with hilali, they are in complete agreeance.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #53 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 1:07am

I reckon he's dead.

IP Logged

Progs

Port Stephens, NSW
Reply #54 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 1:17am

If I believed in evil, then Binnie would be no.1 on my list.

AusNat - he ain't dead. Death is to good for the likes of him...

An Aussie for Progressive Progressivness.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #55 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 1:52am

Progs wrote on Sep 11th, 2007 at 1:17am:
If I believed in evil, then Binnie would be no.1 on my list.

I'd say either Ariel Sharon or Ben Yehuda.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Islamic council steals from refugees
Reply #56 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:32pm

Islamic council stripped of housing control

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22688983-5006784,00.html

A POWERFUL Islamic organisation has been stripped of its community housing after being caught placing friends in state-owned properties intended for refugees.

An independent audit commissioned by the NSW Housing Department found the NSW Islamic Council, which manages 10 government-owned units in Sydney's southwest, had mismanaged the properties and breached its leasing agreement.

The inquiry into the NSW Islamic Council was sparked in August after The Australian revealed the body's vice-president, Ali Roude, let a two-bedroom flat in Belmore to Muslim community radio broadcaster Abraham Zoabi, who did not qualify for public housing.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Islamic council steals from refugees
Reply #57 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:40pm

Whatever are we doing giving free housing to islamics ??

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:56pm

They are for refugees sprint, regardless of religion. From the article:

...the NSW Islamic Council, which manages 10 government-owned units

The Housing Department owns and manages public housing.

It also delegates the management of 13,000 community houses to non-government and not-for-profit organisations such as the Islamic Council.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 2:57pm

If its run by the islamic council, it is only and entirely about religion.

must keep in mind the banning of even bibles in saudi arabia.
Think they would give a christian council free housing ??

Whever are we encouraging them here ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #60 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:08pm

I hoped you would notice. They were only given control over 10 units, out of 13000 homes.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:15pm

Which brings us back to my first question

Whatever are we doing giving free housing to islamics ?? 
1 is 1 too many

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #62 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:20pm

I am not sure whether you are asking why we are giving free housing at all, or why Islamics specifically. Obviously the housing commission should not be discriminating against any religion.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #63 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:55pm

they are discriminating by religion.

the islamic council will only give their houses to islamics.  That is discrimination.
Why do we discriminitate for islamics ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 4:02pm

I'm not sure about that. Plenty of Christian organisations also manage government funds for needy people. I think in this case it's more about choice. Where practical, the government gives people the option of going through a number of different organisations. This makes sense to me. I can imagine that a refugee would feel far more comfortable working with a group with a similar ethnic or religious background than a facelss bureaucrat. They are in a far better position to help the refugees ease into Australian society because they ahve far more knowledge of their situation.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #65 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:39pm

freediver wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:32pm:
[b]
after being caught placing friends in state-owned properties intended for refugees.

Suprise suprise. Nothing ever changes ay. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Alarming news of aussie islamic school
Reply #66 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 10:29pm

Perth Muslim school raided and boss charged  Print EXCLUSIVE: Paul Lampathakis and Nicole Cox

December 08, 2007 05:00pm
A MUSLIM school in Kenwick has been raided by police and shut down by WA Education Minister Mark McGowan. The school's head faces a stealing charge.

Mr McGowan said he had taken the extraordinary step of closing Muslim Ladies' College in Kenwick because of allegations, including fraud and the use of unregistered teachers who were focusing mainly on religion, rather than the WA curriculum.

The school's acting director, Zubair Sayed, appeared in East Perth Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with stealing.

The court was told the charge related to an alleged theft offence -- of $355,934 -- in April, when Mr Sayed, of Sarah Close, Canning Vale, was a company director of Muslim Links Australia Ltd.

It is alleged the school was overclaiming for state and federal government funds for students. Police prosecutor Sgt Scott McCormick told the court that detectives had discovered the money had been sent to Pakistan.

"This is a matter which is of extreme seriousness, whereby Mr Sayed obtained public money from the commonwealth by deceit,'' Sgt McCormick said. "The state wishes to put on the record that this is a very serious charge.''

The court was told that Mr Sayed wrote a Commonwealth Bank cheque for money from the Federal Government that was meant for the Muslim Ladies' College to educate students.

At the time, Mr Sayed's brother was principal of the college.

Magistrate Vicki Stewart granted Mr Sayed bail, with conditions he surrender his passport, not be within 1km of international sea or air ports, report to Cannington police station each Wednesday and reside at his home address.

He was released on $100,000 bail and a $100,000 surety to reappear in Perth Magistrates Court on January 2 next year.

On Friday, Mr McGowan told The Sunday Times: "I want to make it clear that this decision (to close the school) has not been made because this is a Muslim school.

"This decision has been made because this is a school that is not educating students properly.

"An investigation into the operations of the college by the Department of Educational Services began in December 2006 -- following complaints about the conduct of the principal-administrator, staffing of the college and the educational program.''

Key areas investigated included whether teachers were registered, the appropriateness of qualifications of teachers, inadequate educational leadership and standard of education, and the sufficiency of the school's resources.

Mr McGowan said other concerns were about the college's governance structure, the condition of buildings, and facilities and enrolment, and attendance procedures.

He said it was found that teachers were inexperienced in teaching and understanding the curriculum framework, and students weren't being taught all required subjects.

"The college has employed a number of unregistered teachers and many with limited authority to teach,'' he said. ``Teachers are not spending 50 per cent of the school day on literacy and numeracy, as required.

"Instead (they) spend a large amount of time on religious studies. This is clearly unacceptable and seriously damaging to the student's academic well-being.

"The school is not being properly led because the director of the college (Anwar Sayed) is in Afghanistan and has been for most of the year.''

Mr McGowan wrote to the school's governing body to notify them of his decision, which took effect from Friday.

He said enrolments had declined in the past year, from about 90 students at the beginning of 2007 to about 50 or 60 students currently.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22892651-948,00.html

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Re: Alarming news of aussie islamic school
Reply #67 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:24am

I don't necessarily like the whole concept of religeously-based schools. It's just another form of segregation in my oppinion (And I'm a christian)
It's true we don't know exactly where the funding will go in reguards to any school. It's thankful we have a police force efficient enough to pick up on these things and see that justice is delt accordingly to those involved.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Fears over 'another Cronulla-style riot'
Reply #68 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 9:26am

http://news.smh.com.au/fears-over-another-cronullastyle-riot/20071223-1io9.html

There are fears a Cronulla-style riot may be brewing as tensions grow over plans to build an Islamic school in south-west Sydney.

Police are believed to be investigating a series of mobile phone text messages circulating Sydney, purportedly inciting violence.

"We have come together to call for calm after becoming aware of text messages being sent around targeting young Australian Muslims," Independent Centre of Research Australia Youth Centre president Fadi Abdul-Rahman told The Sunday Telegraph.

Dr Millikan launched an attack on Christian Democrats leader Fred Nile, whose comments in the past week may be seen as having added fuel to the fire.

Tensions escalated at Camden on Wednesday night at a public meeting to discuss the proposed 1,200 student Islamic school.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

MPs give thumbs down to Camden islamic school
Reply #69 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 10:31am

One of the benefits of the iran war. More people are aware of what islam means.

"TWO NSW MPs have joined residents in calling for the scrapping of plans for a 1,200-student Islamic school in Sydney's south-west.

Police stood guard as hundreds of residents protested at a meeting held last night at Camden's civic centre, which was hosted by the Camden Macarthur Residents Group.

Camden Council has received 3,500 public submissions in relation to the development application.

Of those, about 2,700 are complete with names and addresses, and all but 13 oppose the development.

Upper house Christian Democrat MP Fred Nile attended the meeting and quoted from the Koran about Islam's opposition to Christianity during a speech to the attendees.

He told ABC Radio after the meeting: “ ... all the Aussies that are celebrating carols by candlelight this week all over Australia, millions of Australians, are condemned by the Koran.

“And sincere Muslims are supposed to believe this book - the Koran is the word of God, the word of their god, Allah.”

Another upper house MP, Liberal Charlie Lynn, who was also in attendance, said only 100 Muslim families lived in Camden.

“This is an attempt by social engineers to inflict culture shock, if you like on Camden,” Mr Lynn told Macquarie Radio today.

“This is what they're objecting about and the other thing is that the location of the school is totally in breach of the planning requirements for a school of this type.

“This development is smack on, adjacent to, a flood plain and heritage area.”

He said he condemned the few people outside the meeting who said they opposed the school merely because they did not want more Muslims in the Camden area.

“On both sides of the divide you're going to have one or two idiots,” he said.

“Last night was about the Camden community and it was a very sensible meeting.”

The council is expected to make its decision on the school by March but Camden mayor Chris Patterson would not speculate on how the council would vote.

He told Macquarie Radio that all development applications are reviewed according to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act and a refusal would not necessarily mean the applicants would appeal to the Land and Environment Court (LEC).

Bankstown and Blacktown councils have knocked back applications to build schools this year and neither have gone to the LEC, Mr Patterson said.

“I think every DA has to be on its merits and then the applicant will have the right to see, if it's knocked back, whether they then wish to proceed with a higher court,” he told Macquarie Radio. "

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22953072-2702,00.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
School opponent denies being anti-Muslim
Reply #70 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 12:28pm

Iran war?

I find the comment about the catholic school very hard to believe. If it isn't a racial thing, why even bring up the number of muslims?

School opponent denies being anti-Muslim

http://news.smh.com.au/school-opponent-denies-being-antimuslim/20080108-1krc.html

The leader of a residents group which opposes plans for an Islamic school on Sydney's southwestern fringe says the issue is not one of religious intolerance.

Spokesman Emil Sremchevich said hundreds of Camden residents had attended heated public gatherings because they felt their democratic rights were not being observed.

"We're a community of 30,000 people and the majority so far has expressed a negative sentiment towards this proposal.

"Therefore, we seek a referendum on this issue and for council to give us polling rights to say 'yay or nay,'" Mr Sremchevich told the Nine Network.

"Camden residents need to be given the rights to chose what type of development they want in their area."

Mr Sremchevich said census data showed there were fewer than 200 muslims living in Camden and the area had two public high schools which were half full.

The community would be equally concerned about plans to place a Catholic school on the proposed rural site, he said.

Govt rejects call for Islamic courts

http://news.smh.com.au/govt-rejects-call-for-islamic-courts/20080208-1r0s.html

The federal government has ruled out the introduction of Islamic courts in Australia, following debate triggered by the global head of the Anglican Church.

Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams said Muslims should to be able to resolve marital and financial disputes under Islamic courts, rather than the mainstream judicial system.

Dr Williams said in a radio interview in Britain that allowing Islamic Sharia law to operate in some circumstances could help improve social cohesion.

A similar proposal was put forward by Australian Muslim leaders to Howard government minister Peter McGauran in April 2005, but was rejected.

Australia's new attorney-general Robert McClelland also ruled out the introduction of Sharia law in Australia.

Yasser Soliman, who sits on the Victorian Multicultural Commission and is president of the Victorian Islamic Family and Childcare Agency, said there could be a role for Islamic courts, but Sharia law had to be clearly defined.

"It needs to be clarified and put down clearly on paper how it would run because everyone walking around has a different understanding of what Sharia means," Mr Soliman said.

He said, for example, that Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims would interpret Sharia law differently.

"It would have to be accepted by the wider community, as well as the Muslim community, because there has been quite a lot of injustice happening in recent times under the name of Sharia," he said.

Mr Soliman said Sharia law was not written in stone but extracted and deduced from teachings in the Koran and what people agreed with amongst themselves.

"The idea is worth exploring but it is not worth adopting the first suggestion by one group which may be pushing for it - you have got to consult quite widely and it has to be optional for individuals," Mr Soliman said.

"I can see some potential applications in matters of family disputes, inheritance law and so on - that would be a win/win for the Muslim community and the wider community."

Melbourne and Sydney have Jewish courts, or Beth Din, which rule on divorce, conversions and adoptions.

Bishop Robert Forsyth, spokesman for the Sydney Anglican diocese, said the move would lead to the "ghettoisation" of the law in Australia.

Terror group urged to kill 1,000: court

http://news.smh.com.au/terror-group-urged-to-kill-1000-court/20080213-1rvk.html

The leader of a Melbourne-based terrorist group told his members they should kill 1,000 non-believers to try to force the withdrawal of Australian troops from Iraq, a court has heard.

Among targets discussed to inflict maximum casualties were railway stations or football grounds, the Victorian Supreme Court was told on Wednesday.

In its opening address in Australia's biggest terrorist trial, the prosecution said the group regarded Australia as a country at war and that indiscriminate murder of innocent citizens was justified by the teachings of Islam.

On trial are Abdul Nacer Benbrika, 47, Aimen Joud, 23, Shane Kent, 31, Hany Taha, 23, Ezzit Raad, 26, Abdullah Merhi, 22, Bassam Raad, 26, Shoue Hammoud, 28, Majed Raad, 23, and Amer Haddara, 28.

Documents glorified Sept 11: court told

http://news.smh.com.au/documents-glorified-sept-11-court-told/20080214-1s87.html

Documents seized from some of the 12 Melbourne men on trial on terrorism charges glorified the September 11 attacks on the United States, a court has been told.

Crown prosecutor Richard Maidment told the Victorian Supreme Court material seized during ASIO raids on the homes of the men in 2005 included videos of Osama bin Laden and bomb making manuals.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:09pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Consider allegations in context: court
Reply #71 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 2:05pm

http://news.smh.com.au/consider-allegations-in-context-court/20080228-1vio.html

The activities of an alleged Melbourne terrorist group had to be viewed against the background of uncertainty, suspicion and anxiety that existed when they took place, a Victorian Supreme Court jury was told on Thursday.

The jury in the case of 12 Melbourne men facing terrorism charges heard that anti-terrorism legislation being introduced during 2004 and 2005, when they are alleged to have committed their crimes, created an unusual atmosphere.

She said federal terrorism legislation which underpinned the charges against Sayadi and the others was being formulated and uncertainty existed in certain communities about what could be spoken about.

The jury was also warned about accepting the central aspect of the Crown case.

"Don't accept or assume that a terrorist organisation existed," Ms Karapanagiotidis said.

IP Logged

Wesleys_Wow_Party

OzPolitic

Re: ISLAM
Reply #72 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 3:40pm

:/ I always thought Islam was a type of ham...

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #73 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:50am

Wesleys_Wow_Party wrote on Mar 2nd, 2008 at 3:40pm:
:/ I always thought Islam was a type of ham...

i thought it was a cut of lamb

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #74 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 11:48am

Classic Liberal wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:50am:

Is lamb? Is good?

Wink

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #75 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 12:21pm

Acid Monkey wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 11:48am:
Classic Liberal wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:50am:

Is lamb? Is good?

Wink

we love our lamb in summer, we love our lamb in BBQ.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Ned O'Sama
Reply #76 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 3:19pm

from crikey:

Ned O'Sama: the resonance of transgenerational anxiety
Jeff Sparrow writes:

Stop me if any of this sounds familiar.

A small group of bearded young men commit an outrageous multiple murder. The youths belong to an immigrant community that perceives itself under siege from the police; they practice a minority religion regarded with suspicion by much of the population. In self-justification, they talk about the persecution inflicted on their co-religionists overseas; eventually, they commit themselves to the creation of a homeland here in Australia.

In the midst of a full-blown panic, the Victorian parliament passes draconian laws drastically curtailing civil liberties, and the police launch indiscriminate raids on ethnic minorities. The bearded men make a suicidal final stand; most of them are killed, without a chance to surrender, by a special police squad, and the leader is taken into custody and executed after a dubious trial.

Ned Kelly has been a Rorschach test for so many generations that, with the news that his bones may (or may not) have been located at Pentridge, it seems appropriate to remix his story for the Age of Terror.

Kelly, of course, identified as Irish and Catholic rather than, say, Arab and Muslim but the relationship of those identities to the mainstream was not so dissimilar. Rather than an inner city posse, Ned belonged to the "Greta Mob", a gang of flash youths who stole horses rather than cars and signalled their identity by wearing their hat straps under their noses in a nineteenth century equivalent of the reversed baseball cap.

His outlawry might have been sparked by clashes between police and his family but he also saw himself as fighting for something much bigger. Ian Jones, the pre-eminent Kelly historian, claims that the gang planned, after the Glenrowan confrontation, to declare a Republic of North-Eastern Victoria. Not quite the Caliphate but not so very different, either.

"It will pay the government," Kelly explained in his Jerilderie Letter, "to give those people who are suffering innocence justice and liberty if not I will be compelled to show some colonial stratagem which will open the eyes of not only the Victorian Police and inhabitants but also the whole British army."

It’s the kind of message that these days features on Al Jazeera.

The government response sounds equally familiar. New laws allowed the Kellys to be shot on sight, and gave the police the power raid houses without warrants and prosecute anyone withholding information. In January 1879, some twenty men went to jail for "having given information to an outlaw and his accomplices, contrary to the fifth section of the Outlawry Act" and for "withholding information relative to the Kelly gang".

As for Kelly’s trial, it might not have been a military commission but nor was it full and fair: Kelly’s barrister lacked experience; key witnesses were never presented; Redmond Barry was clearly biased.

Of course, historical parallels are never identical. Kelly was neither Osama bin Laden nor Che Guevara nor Chopper Read; his story needs, ultimately, to be understood on its own terms. But the comparison still bears thinking about.

In the wake of 9/11, we were told the world had changed for ever, that this was a situation with no antecedents, and thus we couldn’t even debate the extraordinary measures put in place.

It rather changes matters to consider an Australian icon as a terrorist of the 1870s.

Accused 'wanted to make bombs'

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,23332867-31477,00.html?from=public_rss

THE alleged leader of a Melbourne Muslim terror group was caught on a secret listening device asking an undercover intelligence agent to show him how to make explosives using fertiliser.

"Can you show me, as soon as possible, how to do it?" Abdul Nacer Benbrika is heard asking the agent during the recording played to a Victorian Supreme Court jury yesterday.

"I need to learn ... need to learn myself."

Earlier in the meeting at Mr Benbrika's home in Melbourne on September 22, 2004, the undercover agent explained how he had learned to make explosives from ammonium nitrate while working on farms in Tasmania and had used it to blow tree stumps out of the ground.

Terror accused deserve better: judge

http://news.smh.com.au/terror-accused-deserve-better-judge/20080320-20pn.html

The judge in Australia's largest terrorism trial has ordered sweeping changes be made in the conditions under which the 12 men standing trial are imprisoned.

The order follows concerns expressed by lawyers for the 12, who are on trial in the Supreme Court in Melbourne on charges including being members of a terrorist organisation, and that they planned to commit a terrorist act.

The court has been told the accused have been held in Victoria's highest security prison from more than two years while awaiting trial in conditions likely to lead to them suffering psychiatric problems.

Their trial began last month and is expected to continue until at least the end of the year.

Justice Bernard Bongiorno on Thursday ordered the accused men be given extra time out of their cells and that they should not be strip-searched when going to and from court.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:07pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Terror group plot to hit MCG
Reply #77 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 1:45pm

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23547152-2702,00.html

A TERRORIST strike on the 2005 AFL Grand Final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground was averted just two months before the game, after police raids on members of an alleged homegrown Muslim terror cell disrupted preparations for the attack.

The jury in the country's largest terrorist trial was yesterday told that after the plans to attack the MCG were foiled, the group decided to target the Crown casino during Formula One Grand Prix weekend or the AFL's pre-season NAB Cup football final early the following year.

The key prosecution witness, Izzydeen Atik, an insider who admitted to using his skills as a credit card fraudster to purchase airline tickets, telephone credit and other goods for the group, told the Victorian Supreme Court yesterday that he first learned of the proposed targets about a month after ASIO and police raids on members' homes in July2005.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print