Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tonight: Global Warming on the ABC (Read 6486 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
tonight: Global Warming on the ABC
Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:22am

http://abc.net.au/tv/differenceofopinion/about.htm

They will be discussing how to reduce climate change without harming the economy on Difference of Opinion tonight (ABC, 9:35pm, 30/4/07). I have not seen a rational analysis of this question in the mainstream media yet, so don’t get your hopes up. This is the blurb from the ABC website:

While the politicians argue, the world's still heating up.
Next week join our expert panel, including Tim Flannery, to tackle what he calls the greatest crisis facing humanity today.
How urgent is the issue of global warming?
And what impact will it have?
What can we do to make big cuts to carbon emissions, without doing the same to the economy?

Tim Flannery is not a good sign. While he has written a great book on global warming for the general public, he does not have a good grasp of the economics and tends to call for drastic solutions like banning coal.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: tonight: Global Warming on the ABC
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:29am

What would ha say about this ??

http://www.lavoisier.com.au/papers/articles/Evansninefacts.html

I tried to cut and paste a few graphs in there, but no success

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

maille
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:29am

freediver wrote on Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:22am:
http://abc.net.au/tv/differenceofopinion/about.htm

They will be discussing how to reduce climate change without harming the economy on Difference of Opinion tonight (ABC, 9:35pm, 30/4/07). I have not seen a rational analysis of this question in the mainstream media yet, so don’t get your hopes up. This is the blurb from the ABC website:

While the politicians argue, the world's still heating up.
Next week join our expert panel, including Tim Flannery, to tackle what he calls the greatest crisis facing humanity today.
How urgent is the issue of global warming?
And what impact will it have?
What can we do to make big cuts to carbon emissions, without doing the same to the economy?

Tim Flannery is not a good sign. While he has written a great book on global warming for the general public, he does not have a good grasp of the economics and tends to call for drastic solutions like banning coal.

maybe freediver, drastic action is what is needed.? Why are we so afraid to make big changes to our economy ie: drastic  to make

some headway into the climate change problems. ?
It cant be that daunting? Coal can be replaced with another fuel...even if it is nuclear.Its about time we started some moves to tackle this instead of the unlimited reports ,scare campaigns and talkfests.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:32am

There is no need to make drastic changes to our economy. I agree that the scaremongering is wasting time. We do need to take action and the sooner the better, but it is possible to reduce our emissions significantly without noticalbe changes to our standard of living.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:37am

Sprint, it seems pretty biased to me and a bit misleading, but I haven't gone into the details. The thing that most of the 'sceptics,' including this one miss is the precautionary principle. As far as the public debate and government policy is concerned, we should be taking a risk management approach. This is just common sense. The idea that we should wait for undeniable proof is absurd. You don't go screwing with something you don't understand (global climate) then say it's OK to continue screwing with it because we don't understand what we are doing.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2007 at 9:37am

Did anyone else catch the show? There were some interesting points:

CO2 emissions, temperature increases and sea level rises have all been at or above the upper limits that were previously predicted.

Reducing greenhouse emissions will probably only reduce GDP growth from 2.2% to 2.1%. We need to start the changes early as a rapid switch later on will be far more costly. The potential downsides, even in purely economic terms will be far more significant than the cost of the switch. Industry needs a firm signal to plan around. Many industries are taking a big risk by investing in renewables even though our government hasn't made any firm committments yet. Our biggest businesses have gotten together and looked at the risks and decided that it is worth it for them to start changing even though our government is unwilling to because it doesn't understand the risks invoilved.

CO2 has a half life in the atmosphere of 100 years.

Pricing signals were the key to making supply side decisions. While they usually used the term broadly, when they did get specific they said or implied trading. Taxation was not mentioned once. They also failed to acknowledge the role of pricing signals in demand management.

Nuclear power was the only industry in which the government needs to play a direct role, because the risks are uninsurable and it needs to be a community wide decision. All other electricity supply options can be left to the free market once you get the price signals right. Which option we choose depends in part on how much we value carbon emissions. We should be exporting Uranium as it is both dangerous to withhold such a resource from a world that needs it and bad for the environment. We should also consider a role in waste disposal as we have an unusual combination of stable geology and stable government.

Transport and agriculture were also mentioned. Flannery did 'give credit where it's due' in acknowledging the coalition's commitment to reforestation in the tropical north.

Whether nuclear power is the best option depends on local factors, such as whether there is already a nuclear industry and whether there were good alternatives. Australia fails on both of these accounts. We have a better alternative: gas. It has roughly one quarter the emissions of coal (I think it was 0.4kg vs 1.5kg of CO2 per GWh - not sure about the units). We have 60 years worth of gas that we know about. By the time that runs out clean coal technology may be well established. We have at least 300 years worth of coal.

China is now using Australia's recalcitrance as an excuse not to reduce their greenhouse emissions any further. They have made much bigger investments in renewables than we have and have made far greater sacrifices. Australia needs to lead the way, not hold the process up.

Kyoto was flawed, but it is the forum that it created, not the negotiated details that were significant. Global carbon trading is a lofty but risky goal as it depends a lot of the trustworthyness of every government involved. We are more likely to see lots of regional agreements that gradually merge into a global agreement. Reforestation in tropical areas is a key way to recapture CO2.

It was widely agreed that switching to renewables would create more jobs.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2007 at 10:50am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Govts give fossil fuel firms $10b a year
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2007 at 10:49am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/govts-give-fossil-fuel-firms-10b-a-year/2007/04/30/1177788030778.html

Fossil fuel-burning industries receive up to $10 billion a year in taxpayers' money, a study has found.

The University of Technology Sydney analysis of energy and transport subsidies released on Monday said 96 per cent of those government funds went to coal, oil and gas companies in 2005-06.

In light of its findings, author Dr Chris Reidy questioned the willingness of federal and state governments to curb greenhouse gas emissions caused by fossil fuels.

Clean energy is the way forward: expert

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Clean-energy-is-the-way-forward-expert/2007/04/30/1177788049618.html

"Energy waste is rife within the industry and that has to be eliminated to get anywhere near the sort of savings we want, but we also need to make very substantial investments, changes in technology and changes in controls and materials management," he said.

Europe has just announced it will set a target of improving energy efficiency by 20 per cent by 2020.

Mr Jutsen said this the target achievable in Australia as well.

"Not only is it achievable, it's achievable by measures that entirely have a net positive return for the economy," he said.

Mr Jutsen said the time to make a change to improving energy efficiency was when businesses were upgrading a factory or constructing a new commercial building.

"That means we got to start now and we have to put in the regulations and information, so people can make their decisions now," he said.

Leader of The Solar Thermal Group at ANU, Dr Keith Lovegrove, said Australia was a sunny nation that could capture enough solar resource to power the entire country.

Global warming experts meet on UN report

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Global-warming-experts-meet-on-UN-report/2007/04/30/1177788053745.html

After two gloomy UN reports on global warming, scientists and governments began looking at how to fight climate change, with green groups saying the world has the means to cut emissions at little cost.

The draft report warns that time for inexpensive fixes is running out because of a surge in greenhouse gas emissions.

Under some scenarios, GDP growth might even get a tiny net spur from less pollution and health damage from burning fossil fuels, blamed as the main cause of warming.

The conclusions broadly back those by former World Bank chief economist Nicholas Stern, who estimated last year that costs of acting now to slow warming were about one per cent of global output - 5 to 20 per cent if the world delayed action.

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2007 at 2:28pm

freediver wrote on May 1st, 2007 at 9:37am:
CO2 emissions, temperature increases and sea level rises have all been at or above the upper limits that were previously predicted.

This I find extremely alarming. I don't think most people grasp the vast quantities of energy that are involved with making any measurable increase in average temperature of the oceans and atmosphere. In thermodynamics oceans, rivers and the atmosphere are modelled as thermal energy reservoirs, meaning they are bodies that are capable of absorbing thermal energy without changing temperature. Dumping the thermal output of all of our power plants into the atmosphere as we do does not make that energy just go away.

Anyway, this is slightly off topic. I missed the show and now I'm disappointed that I did.

IP Logged

Stu

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2007 at 1:40pm

Actually i did see the show and also online for the discussion, people are worried and still confused as to the nature of causation.

but solutions are needed, but not rash,solutions that will not only benefit the  enviroment but also the people.

www.tapp.org.au

fd
i have seen some of the comments regarding your policies, some good some bad.
remember politics is not about religion and really anything to do with religion,evolution doesnt belong, if you want to talk that go to your local church,meeting place , but keep away from politics just have a look how it determines things overseas and the wars that are still raging due to religion.

stu

www.tapp.org.au

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2007 at 1:48pm

The party has nothing to do with religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2007 at 5:06pm

There is an interesting article about Tim Flannery in the weekend australian magazine. Part of his '6 point strategy' on what Australia must do to fight global warming is a national carbon trading scheme. However, rather than specifying a cap on emissions he suggests a $50 per tonne price on CO2 emissions. The European trading scheme currently has a price of about $40 per tonne.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print