Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print
ISLAM [from thinking globally] (Read 83446 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ISLAM [from thinking globally]
May 17th, 2007 at 10:43am

Hamas gunmen attack Fatah police jeep, killing 8
Associated Press
May. 15, 2007 02:37 PM
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Hamas gunmen riddled a Fatah police jeep with gunfire at close range Tuesday, killing eight policemen in the most ruthless round yet of factional fighting, pushing the Palestinian unity government closer to collapse.

Gunmen in black ski masks took up positions in the streets and terrified residents huddled in their homes. Israel, too, was briefly drawn into the battle.

"I don't know when it's going to end and what the future will bring," said Salman Abu Arafeh, 42, a Gaza City interior decorator who was pinned down by gunfire in his apartment for hours, along with his wife and two children. A total of 15 people were killed in Tuesday's fighting.

An Egyptian mediator said a truce was reached late Tuesday - the third in as many nights. The others have collapsed within hours.

In the West Bank, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called for the immediate implementation of a security plan that would put all rival forces under one command. However, his call is unlikely to be heeded: the fighting made it clear the Hamas-Fatah power struggle was never really resolved, despite formation of the unity government in March.

Gaza's turmoil further weakened hopes for a resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, despite a new push by the Arab world to bring the sides to the table, based on an offer of Arab recognition of Israel in exchange for an Israeli withdrawal from all lands it occupied in the 1967 Middle East War.

Israel has expressed major reservations, but Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told Jordan's King Abdullah on Tuesday that he's ready to meet with Arab leaders in Israel or anywhere else to talk about the idea. Abdullah, in turn, asked Olmert to set a timetable for reaching a peace deal.

Negotiations, however, are inconceivable if the Palestinians descend into a protracted civil war.

This week's fighting was the worst since Hamas and Fatah agreed to share power in February. In all, 23 people have been killed and dozens wounded in three days of street fighting. Among the injured was a 10-year-old girl caught in the crossfire late Tuesday and critically wounded by a gunshot to the head, Palestinian rescue workers said.

In the deadliest battle, Hamas gunmen fired rockets, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars early Tuesday at a training base for Fatah forces guarding the Karni cargo crossing with Israel. U.S. security experts had helped set up the base to improve security at Karni.

After the initial attack, Hamas fired on Fatah reinforcements rushing to the scene, and one of the jeeps carrying Fatah fighters veered off the road and crashed. Hamas gunmen surrounded the vehicle and riddled it with gunfire, said one witness, who works in a nearby factory.

"It was unbelievable. May God help us," said the man, who gave only his first name, Jamil, out of fear for his safety.

Eight men were killed, hospital officials said. Fatah security men also came under fire as they tried to move the bodies away from the overturned jeep.

Two Israeli helicopter gunships and three tanks moved toward the area, and Hamas fighters quickly withdrew. At one point, a major in the Palestinian Presidential Guard was killed by Israeli army fire as he tried to leave the crossing, security officials said.

Before sundown, Hamas said it fired rockets at Sderot, an Israeli town near Gaza in retaliation for the Israeli attack. Residents counted more than 20 rockets. One rocket hit a house, seriously wounding an Israeli woman. It was the first time in three weeks that Hamas has claimed responsibility for a rocket barrage.

Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz summoned army commanders for late-night consultations. Earlier, defense officials said Israel would not be dragged into the fighting.

However, Israel closed Karni, the only route for cargo into Gaza. The closure means Gaza will soon run out of fuel for its power plant and electricity to most of the strip could be shut down by Wednesday, said Abdel Karim Abdeen, head of the Palestinian Energy Authority.

The current fighting had many of the elements of previous Hamas-Fatah clashes: combatants kidnapped scores of rivals, set up roadblocks to search cars, took over rooftops of high-rises and often fired randomly in crowded residential areas.

Around Abbas' seaside compound in Gaza City, security forces searched cars and inspected motorists' ID cards. They gave those with beards - a possible sign of Hamas support - an extra close look.

Both sides have become more ruthless this time, with Fatah accused of an execution-style killing of two Hamas supporters Sunday and Hamas ambushing the Fatah jeep Tuesday. This might make it more difficult to negotiate a cease-fire and revive the coalition.

At the core of the fighting is the unresolved power struggle between Hamas, which won parliamentary elections last year, and Abbas' Fatah, which has dominated Palestinian politics for four decades. Squeezed by an international aid boycott, Hamas realized it could not govern alone and brought Fatah into the government. But the two sides never worked out their differences, particularly over security.

While the power-sharing deal largely halted factional fighting for three months, both sides continued to smuggle weapons through tunnels under the Egypt-Gaza border, preparing for the next round.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008 at 1:48pm by freediver »  

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: An unsurprising muslim action.
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2007 at 10:45am

Past II , due to word limitations

While the power-sharing deal largely halted factional fighting for three months, both sides continued to smuggle weapons through tunnels under the Egypt-Gaza border, preparing for the next round.

The spark for the new fighting was deployment of 3,000 Fatah-allied members of the security forces in Gaza City last week, over Hamas' objections. Hamas has also bristled at Abbas' appointment of former Gaza strongman Mohammed Dahlan as his national security adviser.

"Palestinian society is now similar to Lebanese society - always in civil war or on the verge of civil war," said analyst Hillel Frisch of Israel's Bar-Ilan University.

"It's going to be cyclical: both sides know the tremendous costs, so they try to contain it, but the problem is simply left unresolved, and is probably unresolvable," he said.

Both sides accused each other of waging a carefully orchestrated campaign to destroy the other.

The National Security, a force loyal to Abbas, said Hamas is leading a military coup against the Palestinian security establishment. A Hamas spokesman, Abdel Latif Kanuah, said Fatah is involved in a U.S.-backed plot to overthrow Hamas, referring to U.S. backing for Abbas' elite forces, the Presidential Guards.

Despite the unity government's shortcomings - and its failure to end the international embargo imposed on Hamas - it's unlikely Abbas will dissolve it and call early elections. Hamas would consider that an attempt to steal its election victory and likely oppose it violently.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Nukes in Islamic Hands.
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 4:37pm

The U.N has confirmed Iran has expanded its rather than reduced its nuclear program.
Sanctions now appear likely after its failure to meet the 60 day deadline.
Iran has installed 2 networks of 164 centrifuges in its underground enrichment plant, sparking fears they are assembling nuclear weapons.

Bloody hell, Why does'nt the U.N strike Iran NOW  while we still have the chance?
We invaded Iraq for less!
I seriously dont understand the worlds leadership.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Nukes in Islamic Hands.
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:09pm

If we strike Iran now - that will be the end of us.  We haven't the resources.  The US is already bogged down in quicksand in Iraq while more troops are needed for Afghanistan because the Taliban aren't doing what they're told.

Iran is using the threat of nukes because they don't want the US to strike.  Some think that Israel might launch an offensive at Iran.  If that happens - let's say goodbye to any semblance of peace the Middle East may have dreampt of or we may have hoped to maintain in the West.

The US would be cutting their throats forever if they bombed Iran.  It would probably be the last war this world ever saw as all nations with nuclear capabilities will bring them out in defence of either themselves or an ally.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:21pm

There never will be peace in the mid east anyway, as long as israel exists.
Jews and muslims are like oil and water. does not mix no matter what.
Russia is'nt doing anything, could'nt they do something? Or are they scared of sandmonkeys now after their afghanistan affair?
Any how i believe the west still has the capabilty to fight another war.
I mean if we could fight and win the second world war, which was a total war and against very well trained,fanatical soldiers of japan and germany why cant we defeat the arabs?

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:28pm

And of muslims with nukes, the only one that posesses them now, is pakistan and they can be held in check by india.
And if china tried anything, to defend iran , the showdown with china is coming anyway so why not invade iran and destroy communist/islamic systems FOREVER.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:11pm

I think Russia and China are pro Iran - in fact a lot of this has to do with Russia and Iran joining forces to launch the new Iranian oil trading bourse, which will be in direct competition to the US.  As Iran will begin eventually trading oil in Euros, this may affect the US economy fairly severely, so the yanks are worried.

To think of bombing China and Iran is absolute insanity - but then the US has an insane president, so it might be on the books.  China and Japan hold many $ trillions of US credit notes - so whatever move the US makes, they will have to tread carefully.  If their debts are called in, the US will end up being owned by the Chinese.  Now that would be interesting, except we will be affected as well.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:20pm

That is no good at all. Sad
And just bombing places is stupid, im talking about large scale military invasion forces.
Ground forces are needed. Bombing does not work, this was proven in 1940/41 when Hitler could'nt bomb england into submission.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:38pm

AusNat, I wouldn't worry about nukes being in the hands Muslims too much. Pakistan have had them for years, and they've never used them. They should be aware that IF they use it, the USA will blow them sky-high.

My only concern is the use of them on Israel... wait a minute... scratch that... our only HOPE is for them to use it on Israel.  Cheesy

Seriously though, our only concern is for them to use it for 'negotiation' and to get 'money.'
I severely doubt they can build a launcher capable enough to reach any western country. Only other Muslim countries.

So hopefully, they'll use it on themselves. The less Muslims that remain on this earth the better.

In my opinion, Iran having nuclear weapons is more good than bad.  Wink

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:56pm

Thats right- No Israel=peace in mid east.
That would be nice if they used it on themselves!
Pakistan has'nt used them because india has them and yes, the U.S would flatten them.
Yeah, islamic blackmail. Whats more they WILL sell them to terrorists.

DEATH  TO  ISLAM !

IP Logged

skeptic(Guest)

Isn't it ironic?
Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:55am

hi all, after reading though this forum i noticed that there are alot of anti-islamic topics being discussed.

i can't help but notice the irony in some posts, where they criticise muslims for being intolerant, but then they themselves are intolerant of muslims. personally, i think that's a case of the "pot calling the kettle black".

wouldn't it make more sense to take the moral high ground and not stoop to their level? since hate only breeds hate, so by hating them u actually make the situation worse. that's is what Jesus meant when he said "turn the other cheek".

i will be interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Isn't it ironic?
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 9:46am

Yeah I noticed that too.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:00am

Yeah, i also noticed that.
i think it's because people tend to rely on emotions, rather than thinking logically.

IP Logged

dee(Guest)

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:12am

Well, part of the critism is true. They base their lives on their religion and use to further their 'cause'. The koran preaches of peace and unity without prejudice. So the extremist do not do alot of good with the violence. Some of the Arabians I have seen do look or act particularly religious even with clothes. Just my observations.

IP Logged

dee(Guest)

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:16am

Correction:     "do not look...." 

freediver you can edit if you want

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print