Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 
Send Topic Print
ISLAM [from thinking globally] (Read 84271 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: ISLAM
Reply #360 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 7:52pm

so you have no statistics to support your claim?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #361 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 7:54pm

Do you? That's a pretty high bar your setting considering you opened with the claim that only PC'ers (a hopelessly vague group from a statistical perspective) would oppose this breakdown of the separation of church and state.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #362 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 8:02pm

just answer the question please

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #363 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 8:04pm

yes

your turn

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #364 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 9:03pm

yes, you do have stats, or yes you dont have stats?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
your turn
Reply #365 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 9:38pm

If you're going to be all anal about this, I'll have to insist you take turns. So, in the absence of sound reasoning, do you have any evidence that 'only PCers' oppose this attack on freedom of religion and the separation of church and state?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #366 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 9:46pm

I just want to clarify your answer
is that a yes you have proof, or yes you dont ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #367 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 9:48pm

yes

your turn

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #368 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 10:41pm

no.

Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
democratic Islam is no contradiction
Reply #369 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:14am

The people are speaking: democratic Islam is no contradiction

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/04/14/1208025089210.html

Egypt held municipal elections last week, won handsomely across the country by the ruling National Democratic Party. To be honest, I've merely assumed the outcome: a safe assumption given there was effectively no opposition. The most powerful opposition movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, fielded only 20 candidates in 52,000 seats. Inconsequential doesn't begin to describe their electoral presence.

Election rigging seems to be in global fashion, as recent developments in Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Kenya, Georgia and Russia demonstrate. But the breadth of this democratic deficit does little to dilute the perception that the Muslim world in particular is a series of democratic wastelands, from Central Asia through to Africa.

There are hopeful exceptions. The fact that last month's Malaysian election delivered a spectacular rebuke to the ruling party suggests an improving democratic environment there. Turkey, despite an authoritarian streak, has a reasonably well-functioning democracy that has delivered a change of government in recent years. And Indonesia has made astonishing progress in the decade since emerging from the Soeharto dictatorship.

It is not as if these democratic developments have accompanied a decline in religiosity. All indications are that Islamic consciousness is alive and well in these nations, especially in South-East Asia, but so too is a democratic spirit. Clearly, the people of these nations see no reason why their religiosity should compromise their democratic aspirations, or vice versa. For them, these two dimensions seem broadly reconciled. There are signs that whatever prevents the great majority of the Muslim world from realising democracy, Islam is not that barrier.

Even - perhaps especially - in the least democratic Muslim countries, strong majorities repeatedly express a democratic orientation. A Pew Global Attitudes Poll in 2006 found some 74 per cent of Jordanians and 65 per cent of Egyptians believed democracy could work well in their countries. The following year, a Gallup poll of Muslims in 10 countries similarly found pro-democracy majorities, a finding reiterated this year with a more comprehensive poll of 50,000 Muslims across 35 countries. Perhaps most interesting was a 2003 US study that found levels of support for democratic ideals in Muslim countries were almost identical to those in the West. Gallup's polling seems to have confirmed this, finding majority Muslim support for "freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion" and an "admiration of liberty and freedom of expression in the West".

Of course, these populations tend to think about democracy in slightly different ways to the West. It is clear from Gallup's polling, for instance, that Muslim majorities would prefer their democracy to be inspired by Islamic principles. This does not, however, imply a theocracy: huge majorities from Indonesia and Pakistan to Iran believe religious leaders should not draft legislation. It seems they seek a democracy that reflects the Islamic values of their societies, but does not place power in the hands of clerics.

Perhaps one day, these hopes will be manifest. Until then, the least we can do is welcome the fact that most Muslims feel comfortable being both democratic and devout. Let the status quo not fool us: a huge gulf exists between the authoritarian regimes of the Muslim world and the democratic aspirations of its people.

Waleed Aly is the author of People Like Us: How Arrogance Is Dividing Islam And The West (Picador). He will participate in the IQ2Oz debate "Islam Is Incompatible With Democracy" at the City Recital Hall tonight.

Even - perhaps especially - in the least democratic Muslim countries, strong majorities repeatedly express a democratic orientation. A Pew Global Attitudes Poll in 2006 found some 74 per cent of Jordanians and 65 per cent of Egyptians believed democracy could work well in their countries. The following year, a Gallup poll of Muslims in 10 countries similarly found pro-democracy majorities, a finding reiterated this year with a more comprehensive poll of 50,000 Muslims across 35 countries. Perhaps most interesting was a 2003 US study that found levels of support for democratic ideals in Muslim countries were almost identical to those in the West. Gallup's polling seems to have confirmed this, finding majority Muslim support for "freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion" and an "admiration of liberty and freedom of expression in the West".

Of course, these populations tend to think about democracy in slightly different ways to the West. It is clear from Gallup's polling, for instance, that Muslim majorities would prefer their democracy to be inspired by Islamic principles. This does not, however, imply a theocracy: huge majorities from Indonesia and Pakistan to Iran believe religious leaders should not draft legislation. It seems they seek a democracy that reflects the Islamic values of their societies, but does not place power in the hands of clerics.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Give Muslims time to find democratic feet
Reply #370 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:16am

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/04/13/1208024983377.html

The impression that Muslims suffer disproportionately from the rule of dictators, tyrants, unelected presidents, kings, emirs, and various other strongmen is entirely accurate. A careful analysis by Frederic L. Pryor of Swarthmore College in the Middle East Quarterly ("Are Muslim Countries Less Democratic?") concludes that "In all but the poorest countries, Islam is associated with fewer political rights".

The fact that majority-Muslim countries are less democratic makes it tempting to conclude that the religion of Islam, their common factor, is itself incompatible with democracy.

I disagree with that conclusion. Today's Muslim predicament, rather, reflects historical circumstances more than innate features of Islam. Put differently, Islam, like all pre-modern religions, is undemocratic in spirit. No less than the others, however, it has the potential to evolve in a democratic direction.

This evolution is not easy for any religion. In the Christian case, the battle to limit the Catholic Church's political role lasted painfully long. If the transition began when Marsiglio of Padua published Defensor pacis in 1324, arguing for state separation from religious authority and papal elections by Christian believers, it was not for another seven centuries that the church fully reconciled itself to democracy. Why should Muslims expect Islam's transition to be smoother or easier?

Islam's problem is less its being anti-modern than that its process of modernisation has hardly begun. Muslims can modernise their religion, but that requires major changes: out goes waging jihad to impose Muslim rule, out go endorsements of suicide terrorism, second-class citizenship for non-Muslims, and death sentences for blasphemy or apostasy. In comes individual freedoms, civil rights, political participation, popular sovereignty, equality before the law, and representative elections.

Two obstacles stand in the way of these changes, however. In the Middle East especially, tribal affiliations remain of paramount importance. As explained by Philip Carl Salzman in his recent book, Culture And Conflict In The Middle East, these ties create a complex pattern of tribal autonomy and tyrannical centralism that obstructs the development of constitutionalism, the rule of law, citizenship, gender equality, and the other prerequisites of a democratic state. Not until this archaic social system based on the family is dispatched in favour of an order based on the individual can democracy make real headway in the Middle East.

Globally, the compelling and powerful Islamist movement obstructs democracy. It seeks the opposite of reform and modernisation - namely, the reassertion of the sharia in its entirety. A jihadist like Osama bin Laden may spell out this goal more explicitly than an establishment politician like Turkey's Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, but both seek to create a thoroughly anti-democratic, if not totalitarian, order.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #371 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:18pm

So far they have had about 1400 years.

Comparatively, they have regressed.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #372 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:23pm

Compared to what? They have come far farther in 1400 years than Christianity did.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
tonight ABC radio - Islam and Democracy
Reply #373 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 4:54pm

Apparently this will be on ABC radio and digital TV tonight:

http://www.iq2oz.com/
http://www.iq2oz.com/events/event-details/08-04-15.php

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #374 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:09pm

What time was/is the islam prog, 9 pm here.
Been busy, I may have missed it unfortunately.

On the bris ABC ??

How has islam progressed over the past 1400 years.

They have 1 billion people, and have been awarded 6 (7 if you count Yassar Arafat) Nobel awards.
jews have about 40 milllion and have been awarded 139 Nobels.

they are the albatross around humanities neck

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 
Send Topic Print