Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 
Send Topic Print
ISLAM [from thinking globally] (Read 83444 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: ISLAM
Reply #390 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 8:30pm

"....It has long been my position that any type of participation in democracy is a type of approval of that system.
I have no doubt that democracy is antithetical to Islam
However, having read and listened to the sayings of many scholars on this issue, and being faced with the reality of a growing Muslim population here in the UK, who for all intents and purposes consider this their home, it has become clear to me that we must participate in every aspect of society as much as possible to ensure our rights and continued existence and well being in this society.
This participation most certainly includes voting for whichever party or candidate best serves the needs and interests of the UK and indeed world wide Muslim population
This does not mean approval or acceptance of the ideal of secular democracy, but the intention is to use the means and avenues available to benefit Muslims and the communities we reside in."

Abdur Raheem Green, Dawah Administrator of the Central Mosque of London included in the Guide:

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #391 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 8:44pm

So if the extremists are right and Islam really is antithetical to democracy, how do you account for countries with a majority muslim population that hold on to democracy? Has democracy destroyed Islam, or has Islam merely adapted, like Christianity, to the will of the people?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #392 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 10:46pm

Democracy in a muslim country ???

Here is a story for you.
"A raven sat on a post with a big fat juicy worm in his beak.
The frog hopped below him and asked, "Who do you think will win the election, Abdul or Shahin."
The raven mumbled, fearing he would lose the worm if he opened his beak.
"I could not hear you, speak up louder", the frog asked.
Another mumble from the raven.
"Please, just a little louder, I could almost make it out."the frog said.

"Shahin" the raven blurted out.
The worm fell downward, into the fat frogs open mouth.
The disheartened raven flew off slowly, he said to himself "What difference would it have mattered who I said.  The frog would have still got the worm."

Democracy in a muslim country is like democracy in a communist one.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Blogging in Iran
Reply #393 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:37am

Frogs don't eat worms sprint. Do you have any evidence that Indonesia is like that? Even Australians claim that it doesn't matter who wins because Labor and Liberal are the same. But that's the will of the people for you.

Blogging in Iran

http://time-blog.com/middle_east/2008/04/_the_internet_is_wildly.html

The Internet is wildly popular in Iran, and blogging has become a vital source of information and analysis due to the systematic rollbacks of press freedoms (such as they were) during the last few years. Censorship and self-censorship takes its toll, as does intimidation and imprisonment of bloggers. But how-to-blog sites are among the most visited by Iranians, I reckon an indication that huge numbers of Iranians feel they have something to say and are doing their best to say it.

That brings me to Omid Memarian, one of Iran's most courageous bloggers. A reformist journalist, he took up blogging in 2002 and has paid a heavy price, including arrest, imprisonment and torture. Lately he's been in the U.S. as a fellow at the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California, Berkeley, and I phoned him from Tehran last week to ask him about his blogging from there. He's been writing a lot about America and the U.S. presidential election campaign in both Farsi (http://www.memarian.info) and English. Here's a bit from our exchange. I'll have some other posts from inside Iran soon, but wanted to get this one out while we were still on the subject of Iran and the U.S. elections:

SM: Why are you doing the Farsi blog from the U.S.?

Memarian: Iranians love the U.S. Surprisingly, many Iranians differentiate between U.S. politics and American people or culture. People think that their government’s animosity toward America has done more harm than good. I’ve grown up with two myths about the United States: Ayatollah Khomeini’s depiction of the U.S. as “Great Satan” on one hand, and the idea of the American dream on the other. Many Iranians prefer to choose the second option. So I write about the myths of America and the real America. The Islamic government spends lots of money to create a dark, evil picture of the U.S. —the same picture that the Bush administration creates of Iran. I simply share my firsthand experience and write about different aspects of this country that people in Iran cannot see.

SM: Why are you writing so much about the U.S. elections?

Memarian: The Islamic government portrays the United States political system as corrupted with a huge amount of conspiracy, and magnifies its obstacles and shortcomings with regular basis via its powerful propaganda machine. But I think the U.S. political system is complicated, unpredictable and amazingly transparent, in a way that seems brutal for countries like Iran that suffer from a very unaccountable, nontransparent and corrupt political system. For many Iranian politicians and officials, the U.S. political atmosphere is an impossible one in which they could not survive.

I also think this election is very unique because of the digital nature of campaigns, which has brought extreme transparency to the political arena. This helps my readers see how simplistic the majority of remarks by Iranian officials about the United States are. I write about how, just like in any other country, Americans are suffering from race and gender discrimination, poverty, corruption and injustice, but there are incredible aspects to living in the U.S. which should not be ignored.

SM: What are you trying to get across to Iranians?

Memarian: I'm trying to explain how the major issues in this society are similar to those in many other countries, even Iran, but on different levels. People in the United States have an opportunity to talk about their political and cultural problems. I would like to show Iranians how the media works here, how bloggers criticize politicians and what makes America unique.

SM: What are you picking up from your reader comments about the election?

Memarian: Many Iranians are obsessed with Barack Obama. If he goes to Iran, I’m sure he could fill Tehran’s Azadi Stadium, which has a capacity of 100,000. To a large extent this is because of the nature of Obama’s message about change and hope. Iranian people truly want to change their situation, get rid of decades of marginalization and restore their reputation in the world. They feel connected to his message of change. They are tired of living under the threat of economic sanctions and military attacks. Obama’s remark about initiating a dialogue with Iran translated for many Iranians into hopes of normalizing the relationship between the countries and Iran rejoining the international community. For many Iranian women struggling for women’s rights, Hillary is incredibly inspiring. Senator McCain, on the other hand, they see as just as a third term of President Bush, and I see no reason for them to connect to him.

Indonesian court jails two militants

http://news.smh.com.au/indonesian-court-jails-two-militants/20080428-294z.html

An Indonesian court sentenced two Muslim activists to eight years in prison for aiding a top leader of the South-East Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiah.

Judges found one of the men, Arif Syaifudin, guilty of making eight money transfers between 2005-2006 to a training camp in the southern Philippines run by Jemaah Islamiah (JI).
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:19pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Pete Doherty Turns To Islam In Jail
Reply #394 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 9:55pm

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/42056/pete-doherty-turns-to-islam-in-jail

Pete Doherty is seeking solace in the teachings of Islam, as he serves his 14-week sentence in a London prison.

The Babyshambles frontman has been incarcerated at Wormwood Scrubs jail since 8 April, after breaching the terms of his probation from prior drug offences.

But, according to reports, he has now turned to the holy book the Koran in a bid to turn his drug-addled lifestyle around.

A close pal tells The Sun, "He's been reading the Koran since he went into segregation.

"He's got a lot of Muslim friends and they've been on at him for ages to study it. Now he's on his own he's got time on his hands to study it.

"I'm surprised how much it has calmed him down as he was very on edge inside. He definitely seems more chilled. He's really interested in it. I think it's helping him in there."

Doherty was recently put in an isolated cell after prison authorities thwarted a group of fellow inmates' plots to assault him.

Meanwhile a new art exhibition in Paris featuring his work has been criticised for campaigners for featuring drug needles and the rocker's own blood.

Since the show's opening, the troubled star has been widely condemned by anti-drugs groups for glamorising the use of illegal substances in his artwork, which includes a drawing of ex-girlfriend Kate Moss and his signature scrawled in blood.

The 29-year-old has also failed to impress art experts, with David West, owner of London's Decima Gallery, adding, "It's not got any artistic merit. He's using his blood to make them interesting, but when you look at them they're what any four-year-old can do."

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Re: Pete Doherty Turns To Islam In Jail
Reply #395 - May 1st, 2008 at 1:40am

freediver wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 9:55pm:

"He's got a lot of Muslim friends and they've been on at him for ages to study it.

Why am i not suprised?
See, there it is. Mudslimes oh i mean Muslims DO stuff their religion down peoples necks.
Ahwell, Drugs do screw ones mind up. They can have him. Tongue

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #396 - May 1st, 2008 at 9:22am

you have found one person who has become a muzzie ??

"According to some estimates there are at least 15,000 Malay-Muslims who have converted to Christianity. Most converts are students who changed their faith while studying abroad or, like Lina, are married to people of other faiths and want the state to recognise the change for themselves and their families.

Nobody really knows how many apostates there are in the country but a senior Muslim cleric put the figure as highs as 250,000 while arguing for stern action to stop apostasy. This may be an exaggeration.

Apostates live in secrecy and are always fearful that they would be discovered and punished as what happened to 27-year-old Aishah (name changed). "I was caned, and forced to recant and released to a rehabilitation centre last year," Aishah told IPS. ‘'I am a Christian and remain so at heart although I pretend to be a Muslim sometimes.''

Shariah, or Islamic law, now applies to Muslims across the country, with variations from state to state. Activists worry about the expanding reach of the Shariah courts at the expense of the civil justice system.

"There is great concern now that Islam is gaining such power to affect our personal rights. We should have shouted in outrage before," said a prominent Muslim lawyer who declined to be named.

"It is too late now. We are sliding down the fundamentalism path --there is no stopping it," he told IPS, describing as "feeble" the attempts by human rights activists and Muslim liberals to safeguard the secular constitution and stop the growing intrusion of Islam into their private lives. "

Taken from "http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=33940

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #397 - May 1st, 2008 at 1:30pm

All religious people discount the beliefs and gods, of all religions but their own...

As an atheist, I would contend, that after discounting all other gods as false, you still have one to go. Wink

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #398 - May 1st, 2008 at 2:08pm

I didn't realise this was a competition sprint.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #399 - May 1st, 2008 at 11:15pm

freediver - those that come 2nd often say that .

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #400 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:06pm

"RADICAL Indonesian cleric Abu Bakar Bashir has called for the ban of an "infidel" Islamic sect as debate raged in the world's most populous Muslim country over religious freedom and tolerance.

Mr Bashir said the government must swiftly disband the minority Ahmadiyah branch of Islam to protect mainstream Indonesian Muslims and prevent violent sectarian unrest.

"Ahmadiyah is an infidel organisation using the name of Islam, which aims to disrupt Islam,'' he told a press conference called to urge the government to act on the recommendation of an inter-departmental team to outlaw the sect.

"We urge the Indonesian government to immediately and officially ban and dissolve Ahmadiyah. We warn the government that any delay to do so will potentially create horizontal conflicts,'' he said.

He explained that by "horizontal conflicts'' he meant sectarian violence between mainstream Indonesian Muslims and Ahmadis, who number only about 200,000 in Indonesia.

Without a ban, people might take matters into their own hands, he said, a warning made all the more resonant after a mob attacked and razed an Ahmadiyah mosque last week.

"We never recommend any attacks or destruction but Muslims will fight each other if the government doesn't want to ban Ahmadiyah,'' said the cleric, who served almost 26 months in prison for conspiracy over the 2002 Bali bombings before being cleared and released.

Habib Rizieq Shihab, head of the militant Islamic Defenders Front, said his followers would not resort to violence but stood ready to help the government enforce a ban through dialogue.

"If the government issues the ban, we agreed to help the government to convince the Ahmadiyah followers to return to the real Islam through dialogue. We won't use any violent approach,'' he said.
The government has not indicated how it will respond to last month's recommendation from the Coordinating Body for Monitoring Religions and Beliefs - a panel set up during the Suharto dictatorship - to outlaw Ahmadiyah.

The sect, established in the country since the 1920s, believes Mohammed was not the final prophet, contradicting a central tenet of Islam.

Its plight has raised concerns among moderate Indonesians and human rights activists about religious tolerance in the country of some 230 million people, nearly 90 per cent of whom are Muslim.

Earlier today, hundreds of people rallied in central Jakarta in a show of support for religious freedom.

Representatives of the Ahmadiyah sect as well as Muslims and Christians gathered to urge the government to resist pressure from Islamic hardliners to ban the sect.

"We are here to show to Indonesia, to the world, that Indonesians love peace. To show that there are more Indonesians who love peace than those who don't,'' an organiser told the crowd.

The demonstrators carried banners reading Stop Religious Fascism and Stop Violence in the Name of Religion. "

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23657337-5003402,00.html

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #401 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:08pm

Shouldn't you be somewhere else, Sprint?  Grin

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member