Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27
Send Topic Print
ISLAM [from thinking globally] (Read 84286 times)
AusNat
Ex Member

Re: The man, citing the koran ....
Reply #90 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 3:33pm

Quote:
mohammad himself married a 6 year old girl, then slept with her when she was 9 .

What a great prophet ay!
I wonder if all the pedo's in the world would turn to islam if they knew about this.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Re: The man, citing the koran ....
Reply #91 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 3:37pm

I wonder if the term ''If they can bleed, they can breed'' came from islam? Shocked

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

islam in control
Reply #92 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:29am

IT'S not just clouds that shroud Waziristan's treacherous high country. Up here on the Afghan border, a veil of state secrecy also cloaks a new Taliban wave breaking eastward across Pakistan.

Against the totemic thump of the drums of war, dust churns as the bodies of suspected anti-Taliban spies are dragged behind Toyota utes - as many as four at a time.

The severed heads of those who cross the fanatical jihadis are held aloft in cheering, jeering crowds. And in the bazaar, just a few rupees buys one of the hottest selling new DVDs - that's the one in which a 12-year-old boy wields the decapitation knife.

Now heard for the first time in years, the boom of the dhol drums summons the lashkars - tribal armies - for an episode in George Bush's war on terror that reads like a South Asian version of Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

But this incendiary mix of extremist Islam and guerilla war unfolds amid great confusion. As President Pervez Musharraf wrestles with an explosive political crisis of his own making in Islamabad, two deadly wars are playing out on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

First, there is a dangerous spillover from the US and NATO-led struggle to pacify neighbouring Afghanistan. But within Pakistan a brutal, fundamentalist uprising also frays the fabric of a society that, politically at least, has been broadly secular for decades.

In remote Miram Shah, the Herald was a captive as much as it was a guest of the Pakistani security forces - and where the military minders had us corralled, the drums were silent. All the Conradian horror happens outside the high, protective walls of this military fortress which is home to the Tochi Scouts - a unit of Pakistan's border-protection forces.

We were kept inside, pinned down amid the crisp white table linen in an officers' mess built by the British more than a century ago. The aged pipes and drums of the scouts' former colonial masters were a feature display - still draped with the regimental tartan and a tiger skin.

Framed and faded pages from the The Illustrated London News, dated 1878, recounted Britain's travails in past Afghan wars. A glass case among the antique and silver weaponry held the pistol used by the scouts' first British commanding officer in the late 1800s.

Step away from the marbled terraces and the gardens were English country, as they might have been in the time of the Raj. The lawns were flat and tight, like a billiard table; the flower beds were manicured - nodding cornflowers, stocks and foxgloves. An oak cast an eerie shadow and creepers in tubs climbed the ornate veranda posts.

Going beyond the walls was deemed to be out of the question - "too dangerous," we were told in one breath; "there is nothing for you to see - everything is peaceful," we heard in the next.

But despite the smother blanket that the authorities have thrown over the country's sprawling western flank, news of administrative chaos, fundamentalist thuggery and security madness does seep to the outside world. Here is a summary of life in Pakistan's grandly named North-West Frontier Province during a recent Herald assignment in Pakistan.

The Taliban had taken over the historic small-arms bazaar at Dara Adam Khel, near Peshawar, where long lists of those they intended to kill as spies were plastered on walls. Barbers' shops, internet cafes and businesses selling video and audio cassettes and CDs in bazaars across the region are regularly torched or bombed.

In towns like Barawal, in the Dir district, there were pitiable pleas from barbers who had complied with the Taliban threats - they were being ruined because customers were less likely to come in for a haircut unless they could have a shave at the same time. After Dir, the barbers in Bajaur took a hiding; and then it was the turn of their colleagues in Mardan to receive the infamous night letters: "Our beloved Muslim brothers ... shaving off beards is a great sin."

Militants march into boys' schools, demanding the right to lecture and recruit pupils for jihad. They hurl grenades at teachers who object and kidnap school principals who persist in opposing them. Girls' schools are constantly harassed and tribal elders deny women the right to vote. Curfews and school closures are a part of daily life as women and children are evacuated from restive centres like Tank in the frontier province.

Banks are robbed. Government compounds, including those of the security forces, and NGO depots are bombed or commandeered. The country's security forces and government ministers are under deadly attack. Suicide bombings are on the rise. Gas pipelines and power pylons are sabotaged and railway lines are blown up. Civilians die in the crossfire.

More than 120 tribal elders who opposed the Taliban or were deemed to be siding with the erratic regime in Islamabad had been murdered. Hit-lists of difficult mullahs are circulated, containing dozens of names. The mutilated bodies of some so named turn up on roadsides ... with notes fixed to their clothing denouncing them as US spies.

The whole article at :
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/05/21/1179601331182.html

This is why we have to stay in iraq

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Re: islam in control
Reply #93 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:43am

sprintcyclist, u post an article about the Taliban and the war in Afghanistan, then u conclude based on that article that why we have to stay in Iraq.

funny, given that the US has not been able to link Iraq with the Sept 11 attacks or the war on terrorism, did u manage the find the link via ur own intelligence agencies? please do tell, i'm sure the US is dying to know.

and by the way, last time i checked we didn't leave Afghanistan at all, so if the Taliban are gaining control then that's a reason to stay there (or more specifically concentrate our forces there rather than having them scattered all over Iraq).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #94 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:46am

I read an article in the Australian a while back claiming that they did find definite links between Sadam and Al Qaida. It was an article about how badly the war is going.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #95 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:49am

freediver wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 10:46am:
I read an article in the Australian a while back claiming that they did find definite links between Sadam and Al Qaida. It was an article about how badly the war is going.

Really? do u have a link? would be an interesting story to read.

I remembered watching a press conference in August last year where George W Bush was asked "what is the link between terrorism and Iraq?", to which George W Bush replied "Nothing".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #96 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:57am

I think I looked for a link at the time but they didn't have it online. I probably posted something about it in one of the Iraq threads.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/thread-list/topic.html#cn

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #97 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:43pm

Hi Gavin,
How have you been ?
The war is against islamists. Appears muslims have no interest in stopping them.
You want the war there, or here ?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21773231-954,00.html

PAKISTAN'S most senior female cabinet minister quit in despair last night after failing to get support from her government colleagues when rabid Islamic extremists issued a fatwa against her for hugging her 60-year-old French paragliding instructor.

As embattled tourism minister Nilofar Bakhtiar, 45, sent her resignation from the cabinet to Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, she insisted she had not meant to offend Islamic values when she hugged the instructor after the charity jump to raise funds for earthquake relief.

"I can assure you neither of us meant any harm to cultural or societal norms. It is not un-Islamic or unpatriotic to jump from a plane with a parachute, as the clerics have indicated in their fatwa," she said.

But the fallout from photographs of the hug has proved too much for the feisty Ms Bakhtiar, with radicals from the pro-Taliban Lal Masjid (Red Mosque) in Islamabad demanding her sacking.

The mosque, where a rebellion against the Government's authority has been going on for months, was surrounded by paramilitary forces yesterday in a bid to gain the release of two policemen kidnapped by the militants.

There was speculation last night that leaving Ms Bakhtiar no alternative but to resign might have been part of a deal being worked out with the extremists.

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #98 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:51pm

sprintcyclist, do u read u write up before u hit the "post" button? since i get the feeling that u don't.
u posted another article, this time about Pakistan, which doesn't relate to our presence in Iraq at all.

again, do u have any evidence that Iraq was actively involved in training/funding terrorism against the US and/or Australia that warranted us going to war?

i reckon if u think about it, and i mean really think about it, then u would realise that Iraq wasn't involved in terrorist attacks at all and that Iraq only became a hot spot when we decided to go in there anyway (on false evidence as well). the reason being that we did a stupid thing by overthrowing Saddam Hussein who did a good job of keeping those terrorists down.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2007 at 1:08pm by Gavin »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #99 - May 22nd, 2007 at 1:12pm

Hi Gavin,
The war is against this sort of madness. Also occuring with hamas and in pakistan

yes, i do read my posts.  The topic is islam, not a single country. sadam was a mass murderer who had defied the UN for decades.

you forgot to answer my question.
Do you want the war there or here ?

Aussie photographer injured in bomb blast
By staff writers
May 22, 2007

AN Australian photographer and three policemen were injured when a roadside bomb went off in southern Thailand today.
Philip Blenkinsop, who was on assignment for Time magazine, suffered minor face and eye injuries in the blast in Yala province, the Associated Press reported.

The homemade bomb, believed to have been set by Muslim insurgents, went off when police were inspecting the body of a Buddhist man shot dead and set on fire, police Lieutenant Colonel Saratwuth Wongderm said.

Blenkinsop, who has been based in Bangkok since the mid-1980s, is an award-winning photographer who has covered a number of conflicts, including the guerrilla war in Indonesia's Aceh province.

Thailand's southernmost provinces have been wracked by a Muslim insurgency which has killed more than 2200 people since early 2004.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #100 - May 22nd, 2007 at 1:17pm

Do you want the war there or here ?

You are trying to create a false dichotomy.

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #101 - May 22nd, 2007 at 1:37pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 1:12pm:
Hi Gavin,
sadam was a mass murderer who had defied the UN for decades

again, do u have evidence to link Saddam Hussein to terrorism?

if not, then u have to agree that us going into Iraq to begin with was wrong, and the reason we have to stay there is to fix the mess we created. u can blame the Islamists all u like, but the fact of the matter is that the Islamists didn't have any power prior to us going into Iraq as they were virtually crushed by Saddam Hussein's rule. they only got some breathing space when the US came in and overthrew Saddam Hussein.

and on ur question of fighting over here or there, i have to say i would prefer not to fight them at home. but at the same time, i wouldn't support us going into a war on false evidence and giving terrorists more power by overthrowing their enemy.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - May 22nd, 2007 at 2:38pm

Hi Gavin,
Sure, the presidents of the free world acted correctly upon what seems to be in false information. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
Course, was impossible ot see what was happening iinside there, same as iran now with their nukes.

I support their actions. Fully

iraq now has had their first free election for decades, if not for ever.
sadam crushed anyone he wanted there.

Freediver - fair observation.
However the war is happening all over the globe. eg thailand.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #103 - May 22nd, 2007 at 2:42pm

The media here and elsewhere called GWB on his 'evidence' the moment it came out. They could see there was something dodgy about it and that it didn't add up. You don't simply 'take someone's word for it' when deciding to invade a country.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #104 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:10am

Hi Gavin,

In my first post I did say "That is why we should stay in iraq."
Not about linking iraq to terrorism. we did a good thing to go there, albeit possibly on false info

The way to resolve a problem is to confront it. Not to pretend it is not there.

Militant islamists have been funded by saudi for some years. The war has bought that to common knowledge.
If we do not confront them now, over there. It will be later, over here.

I beleive that is not a false dichotomy. I believe it is an option we have.
There is little that will stop islamists. Only death or education.
Ever tried to talk to an extremist ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27
Send Topic Print