Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Victoria to scrap funded circumcision (Read 2806 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Victoria to scrap funded circumcision
Aug 13th, 2007 at 10:12am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Victoria-to-scrap-funded-circumcision/2007/08/13/1186857375818.html

From next month, Victoria will be the fourth Australian state to no longer provide circumcisions at public hospitals for non-medical reasons.

From September, circumcisions will be performed in Victoria only where doctors determine there is a need because of concerns over infections or disease.

NSW, Western Australia and Tasmania have already implemented the change.

Victorian Health Minister Daniel Andrews on Sunday said there was no medical evidence to support routine circumcision of newborn males.

"In Australia and New Zealand, the circumcision rate has fallen considerably in recent years, and it is estimated that only 10 to 20 per cent of male infants are routinely circumcised," Mr Andrews said.

"Both nationally and overseas, doctors agree there is no medical benefit to routine circumcision, and studies show the complication rate is around five per cent."

Mr Andrews said parents who wish to have their son circumcised for religious reasons could have the procedure done in private hospitals.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist(Guest)

Re: Victoria to scrap funded circumcision
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:04pm

Good! an end to mutilations.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:34pm

Yes it's about time.  Are circumcisions legal in public hospitals in other states?  How could anyone let a knife be taken to their baby son and put him through that sort of torture for the sake of appearance or religion.

It's primitive and in my mind barbaric.  The male can always have it done as an adult if he feels strongly in favour of it, but there have been too many accidents leading to mutilation which is a good enough reason to avoid it.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 9:17pm

I never thought about it for my sons , why would I ?
Seems unethical to do it to an infant for no medical reason.

Any religious reason should be made by the person when they are capable of making a decision.
Would they get an infant tattooed ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print