Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
biodiversity and cultural diversity (Read 5430 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
biodiversity and cultural diversity
Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:37pm

Businesses and societies benefit from cultural diversity for the same reason that biological systems benefit from genetic diversity. The more different positions you start from, the more likely it is that you will be in a position to overcome an unexpected adversity. This is widely recognised in business. It doesn't necessarily mean that you need racial diversity, but you do need employees with different world views. A business that stifles this diversity by 'shutting down' people who view things differently will eventually stagnate as a result of too many missed opportunities and lack of creativity. It is possible to have racial diversity in a company but no cultural diversity, and many nominally 'diverse' businesses let this happen. Likewise it is possible (though obviously more difficult) to foster cultural diversity in a company without racial diversity, providing of course that the cause of the lack of racial diversity does not prevent you from fostering cultural diversity. Different world views tend to come from different ethnic backgrounds. This is why 'melting pot' countries tend to be more able to maintain leading roles in developing new technologies, new arts etc. It is not until they start to enforce a uniform culture upon their own citizens that they lose this lead.

Tassie devils doomed, say researchers

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Tassie-devils-doomed-say-researchers/2007/10/11/1191696072896.html

Australia's iconic Tasmanian devils are a threatened species because the fierce dog-like creatures have lost the genetic diversity that would ensure their health and underpin their survival, researchers said.

They are predicting that facial tumours will continue to ravage a population that has halved in number since the 1990s. There are about 100,000 examples of the world's largest surviving carnivorous marsupial left on the island of Tasmania, the last part of Australia where they are found.

A group of 47 cancer-free devils has been dispatched to four wildlife parks on the mainland as an insurance against extinction.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2007 at 7:52pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: biodiversity and cultural diversity
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 12:49am

So if you liken biological systems to cultural systems then wouldn't attrition of species or culture be a natural part of the eco/culturalsystem?

Is artificial sustenance a postponement of the inevitable when looking at the grander cycle of systems in the 'hope' of variation?

From an ecological view could it also be detrimental?

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 10:11am

So if you liken biological systems to cultural systems then wouldn't attrition of species or culture be a natural part of the eco/culturalsystem?

In part. Things change. Species die out. You could even argue that genocide is natural, as is the attempt of one culture to take over the world. However when this happens in practice it is not anything inherently better in the culture that achieves this. It's like the difference between people adopting a religion because they like it or believe it and having it forced upon them. In nature no species except humans ever cooperated for the complete annihilation of another. It just ended up that way. It's the same with economic systems. Competition is a good thing and as part of this many businesses go bankrupt. But using certain methods to get ahead by stifling competition are bad for the economy as a whole.

Clear as mud?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 9:23am

freediver wrote on Oct 15th, 2007 at 10:11am:

In part. Things change. Species die out. You could even argue that genocide is natural, as is the attempt of one culture to take over the world. However when this happens in practice it is not anything inherently better in the culture that achieves this. It's like the difference between people adopting a religion because they like it or believe it and having it forced upon them. In nature no species except humans ever cooperated for the complete annihilation of another. It just ended up that way. It's the same with economic systems. Competition is a good thing and as part of this many businesses go bankrupt. But using certain methods to get ahead by stifling competition are bad for the economy as a whole.

Clear as mud?

Introduced species - multiculturalism - is detrimental to local ecosystem - national culture.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:18pm

You’re all dancing an elaborate, deluded dance on the deck of the Titanic given the high probability only microbes, bacteria, slaters and cockroaches will soon be left.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:29pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:18pm:
You’re all dancing an elaborate, deluded dance on the deck of the Titanic given the high probability only microbes, bacteria, slaters and cockroaches will soon be left.

Camus said in The Myth of Sisyphus: “There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide”

You seem confident about species suicide and humanity's elaborate delusions about the value of life and self-deceiving optimism about the future. What are you hanging on for, then?   

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 7:10pm

freediver wrote on Oct 15th, 2007 at 10:11am:

Clear as mud?

War, annihilation of the the other party needs a great deal of cooperation, the kind of co-operation only a governed society can do. You need expendable resources, numbers, set jobs and devotion to them. Not many species can accomplish this but ants and wasps and us do go to war with the aim to annihilate the foe. Chimps are still tribal, fighting over local resources, the best they can do is tribal raids.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 12:15pm

I believe that cultural diversity is beneficial to society as a whole.

However there is a caveat, the introduced cultural diversity must be symbiotic and beneficial to society. It must adopt and enrich said society and must also be itself culturally enriched with integration into said society.

This had worked well for years, Australia has been well enriched with the influx of immigrants who have adopted Australia as it's own and who have been beneficial to our society and culture.

However, when Islamic and African immigrants came, they were lacking in fundamental and important aspects required to enrich our society and culture.
They refuse to integrate, preferring to treat our culture with disdain, refusing to adopt any of our ways and isolating themselves inside their own CULT.

They are predominantly parasites, living off our society without any conscience about taking and not contributing.
They are vastly overrepresented in criminal activities, fraud, violent attacks and antisocial activities in general.

If society were to be identified as a biological entity.
Islam and African immigrants and refugees would have to be identified as a disease that is harmful to society.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 1:11pm

I wonder how many Muslim or African people you know, Valkie?  Any at all?  Your attitudes are those of a stay in the basement troll. You fear people who you have never encountered.  You display all the attitudes of a troll in the hope of gaining a response.  You talk big but act all great and fearful but in reality you are like a frightened little boy.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:00pm

Oh crap......it's back.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:10pm

Valkie wrote on Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:00pm:
Oh crap......it's back.

Bbwian nodded. A sombre nod. The nod Napoleon might have given if somebody had met him in 1812 and said, "So, you're back from Moscow, eh?”

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:18pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 24th, 2021 at 1:11pm:
I wonder how many Muslim or African people you know, Valkie?  Any at all?  Your attitudes are those of a stay in the basement troll. You fear people who you have never encountered.  You display all the attitudes of a troll in the hope of gaining a response.  You talk big but act all great and fearful but in reality you are like a frightened little boy.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Let's take a step back and approach this discussion with sensible debate rather than name calling, tut gutting and islamophile rhetoric.

What in my post do you disagree With?

Is there any statement there that is fundamentally false?

I have been to several Islamic countries, met several Islamic families and seen the barbarism and fear in those countries.
How many Islam is countries have you been to Brian?

I, at various stages of my working life, have worked with, managed and even been almost friends with muzzos. Not the radical type, but almost normal people who did not wear the ridiculious garb the radicals identify with.
I can never actually say we were friends as we had vastly different ideas and thoughts on several subjects.
It was impossible to discuss Islam, it's practices or it's faults.
They simply shut down and that's it.

As for fear, no Brian, I don't fear muzzos.
I actually only fear one thing in this life, and that is losing my wife as we age.
I do not fear Islam, I hold out hope that the world will one day see the danger that this CULT represents.

I don't fear Africans, I have been to south Africa and the hell hole Somalia several times and have seen how violent they are, but they are also cowards and show that you are willing to stand up for yourself and they flee, unless they are in numbers.
Fortunately for me, I had security, and they were not backward in showing just how far they were prepared to go.

What I would like to know Brian, is why you so strenuously defend Islam.
You have seen the news over the last few months.
You have seen the horrors, murder and pain and suffering inflicted on women since the Taliban (as pure an Islamic following) have done.
Surely you can see that in its uncontrolled state, Islam is a brutal, violent, barbaric and backward CULT.

What is your motivation Brian?
Are you a Muslim?

I have kept this discussion sensible and without derogatory remarks or name calling.
I expect the same courtesy.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 8:24pm

I doubt you've stepped out of your momma's basement, Valkie.  You like most Xenophobes talk in generalities.  You refuse to think that some Muslims or Africans can be as smart, as useful as you.  You've never encountered a Muslim or African.  Those that immigrate here are more useful than you are, smarter and harder working.  You endlessly carp about people without regard to their individual worth.  Your a WOFTAM.  You wouldn't last five minutes in the real world.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 8:56pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 24th, 2021 at 8:24pm:
I doubt you've stepped out of your momma's basement, Valkie.  You like most Xenophobes talk in generalities.  You refuse to think that some Muslims or Africans can be as smart, as useful as you.  You've never encountered a Muslim or African.  Those that immigrate here are more useful than you are, smarter and harder working.  You endlessly carp about people without regard to their individual worth.  Your a WOFTAM.  You wouldn't last five minutes in the real world.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So what are the chances of your second stroke in the next 1-3 years?
Being stupid - is that a risk factor? Was it the cause of your first one? Was it your first one?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2021 at 7:54am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 24th, 2021 at 8:24pm:

Come on brian.
I have put the question to you without vitriol and as a debate of substance.

If you have facts, lets hear them.
If you have a strong counter argument, I'm willing to listen.
So far you have done nothing but insult me and question my facts.
That is not debate.

In the above post
I doubt you've stepped out of your momma's basement, Valkie.
and yet you expect me to believe your generalities.

I have been to several Islamic and African run countries, and Ill tell you they are not good places, not good at all.
I have seen the real country, through a mining and machinery supply perspective, not tourist meccas where everything is hidden.
I lived in Sydney for years and observed just how muzzos treated people living in areas near and around Granville where some of my friends once lived. They had to move out due to ongoing and continual harassment from the muzzos.

I worked in Newcastle and had a daughter attending Newcastle uni where the Somalis were being the monkeys they are.

Brian, I doubt you have had anywhere near the exposure to muzzos or Africans that I have had.
I have been all over the world in my mining engineering field.
I have seen the damage Islam is doing to great countries and cultures like Sweden, Germany, England, France and others.
I have friends in these countries who are in dismay at the way their countries are changing because of Islam.

Are you a muslim brian?
Are you a convert, we all know converts are even more dangerous than normal muzzos.

This is my previous post, please, have another go and respond without insults and personal attacks.
If you cannot, it puts a lie to any counter argument you may have.

Quote:
Let's take a step back and approach this discussion with sensible debate rather than name calling, tut gutting and islamophile rhetoric.

What in my post do you disagree With?

Is there any statement there that is fundamentally false?

I have been to several Islamic countries, met several Islamic families and seen the barbarism and fear in those countries.
How many Islam is countries have you been to Brian?

I, at various stages of my working life, have worked with, managed and even been almost friends with muzzos. Not the radical type, but almost normal people who did not wear the ridiculious garb the radicals identify with.
I can never actually say we were friends as we had vastly different ideas and thoughts on several subjects.
It was impossible to discuss Islam, it's practices or it's faults.
They simply shut down and that's it.

As for fear, no Brian, I don't fear muzzos.
I actually only fear one thing in this life, and that is losing my wife as we age.
I do not fear Islam, I hold out hope that the world will one day see the danger that this CULT represents.

I don't fear Africans, I have been to south Africa and the hell hole Somalia several times and have seen how violent they are, but they are also cowards and show that you are willing to stand up for yourself and they flee, unless they are in numbers.
Fortunately for me, I had security, and they were not backward in showing just how far they were prepared to go.

What I would like to know Brian, is why you so strenuously defend Islam.
You have seen the news over the last few months.
You have seen the horrors, murder and pain and suffering inflicted on women since the Taliban (as pure an Islamic following) have done.
Surely you can see that in its uncontrolled state, Islam is a brutal, violent, barbaric and backward CULT.

What is your motivation Brian?
Are you a Muslim?

I have kept this discussion sensible and without derogatory remarks or name calling.
I expect the same courtesy.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print