Send Topic Print
Nelson the softie (Read 13245 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Nelson the softie
Reply #30 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 1:50pm

They only want to do it if the govt funds it.

Wrong. The government is not going to fund it (for the most part - this obviously exludes proposals for cable in rural areas). They are going to allow the telcos to build it, and limit how much they can charge in return.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 2:05pm

Hmmm...so they don't really need that $4.7 Billion of taxpayers dollars then

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #32 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 5:12pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2007 at 1:50pm:

Wrong. The government is not going to fund it (for the most part - this obviously exludes proposals for cable in rural areas). They are going to allow the telcos to build it, and limit how much they can charge in return.

They're not going to fund it?  What are they going to do with the taxpayer dollars and how will they own it?  Do you believe any telco will front up with the bucks and then hand it over to Kevvy?

Did an economist say that too?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #33 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 9:26pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2007 at 1:50pm:

Little Kevvy disagrees with you.  He said -

Quote:
. . . . the overall question about how we bring this initiative into being is based on a $2 billion contribution from the communications fund and $2.7 billion which we then transfer from the taxpayers’ equity in Telstra into the taxpayers’ equity into a brand new joint venture behind this brand new technology for the future. I’m pretty confident, given the level of support from the industry right across Australia, that we are on the money when it comes to this initiative.

Someone lied

And Telstra disagrees with Kevvy.  Kevvy reckons he's on the money and Sol Trujillo mockingly reckons he's dithering about with "some sort of "kumbaya, holding hands" theory".

And that's Australia's Prime Minister?  Boy are we in trouble.   Cry

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #34 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 7:52am

But Telstra agrees with me that Kevvy's claim of $4.7b of taxpayers money for a white elephant is billions too little.

Quote:
Telstra's value-added plan is politically expensive

Trujillo also argues that both the difficulty and cost of building a national fibre network had been generally underestimated, even while insisting that Telstra could build it faster and more cheaply than anyone else could.

Labor based its $4.7 billion commitment on Telstra's original costing of a national fibre network reaching 98 per cent of the population back in 2005. But Trujillo is now suggesting this is out of date and that it would cost $4billion to $4.5 billion to build a network only in the five major cities.

He told The Australian last week its 2005 costing was under an assumption of a lesser amount of broadband and that Telstra had not even done the costing of a national rollout in today's context.

"Distance equates to money," he says simply. But that leads to another obvious political problem in what has become Telstra's fundamental business case. Telstra under Trujillo is interested in being the best much more than in being the cheapest, or even particularly competitively priced.

In the briefing with The Australian, Trujillo declared that when he arrived, Telstra had been trying to play the game of providing the same cheap monthly packages as everyone else -- and losing market share and momentum doing so.

He has fundamentally changed the company's direction in order to focus on product differentiation. He calls it "adding value". The regulator, and the politicians, call it charging too much whenever Telstra thinks it can get away with it.

It certainly won't encourage the Government to let Telstra roam free. But Canberra is not going to get any support from the Telstra board in anycomplaints about management's aggressive approach.

McGauchie makes a bad joke about Australia eventually getting it right on telecommunications but only after it tried every other option first.

Expressing frustration, he compares the wait for broadband to the ships waiting in line to load coal thanks to the mishmash of government regulations, inefficient infrastructure and political ineptitude.

Even though he makes it clear that Telstra would prefer to build a fibre broadband network, he says that Telstra's alternatives are to grow even more strongly in mobile and to invest more in its cable network, which currently runs past 1.8 million homes. But these alternatives will not deliver the bandwidth necessary for the plethora of new and constantly improving services that will be available. They are simply not as efficient or as flexible given the ever increasing demand.

"Plan B is not as good for us and it is not as good for the country," he says. "So we would love to have the right investment taking place in a neutral investment environment."

Telstra argues that this lesson is being learned the hard way in other countries, with McGauchie saying that investment in broadband infrastructure in Britain has now stalled.

Trujillo says it is up to the new Government to make a choice.

"The question is do you focus on process or do you focus on outcomes?" he says.

Kevvy has broken the back of the economy

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:35pm

Now I can once again say "I told you so".  I said that the Liebor Party's nutty scheme to have broadband to 98% of homes was craptacularly stupid because technology races and there is no place for government in that kind of race.  So today . . . . . .

Quote:
Super-fast broadband links researchers

A powerful new broadband tool, 250 times faster than a standard broadband connection in Melbourne, has been used to link researchers across the Pacific.

The internet connection, which sends one gigabyte per second, is being hailed as a cutting-edge mode for allowing world experts to collaborate from different countries in real time.

The OptIPortal linked researchers at the University of Melbourne with others at the University of California in San Diego (UCSD) on Wednesday, via giant screens, after an initial technical glitch that stalled the launch for more than 30 minutes.

Using the technology, a scan of the brain can be shown to the cellular level and maintain full clarity.

It combines high-definition video and audio with the sharing of ultra-resolution visualisations from a broad range of disciplines.

The resolution of the OptIPortal is 50 times higher than the highest resolution HD television commercially available.

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard, Communications Minister Stephen Conroy and Victorian Premier John Brumby watched the demonstration at the University of Melbourne.

During the link-up Senator Conroy said he hoped the technology would eventually reach Australian households.

"We are, as you know, pushing ahead to try and develop genuine high speed broadband here in Australia, which we would ultimately hope to deliver this sort of technology into everybody's home and that's why it's so exciting to see this project up and running," Senator Conroy said.

Ms Gillard was later challenged on whether the government's broadband policy would allow for that level of technology to be available to homes.

She said the government would concentrate on delivering its election promise of providing fast broadband to 98 per cent of homes under a $5 billion scheme.

To the homes Jules?  Stop lying, Australians are not as stupid as you dude

See she has obviously forgotten what that "election promise of providing fast broadband to 98 per cent of homes under a $5 billion scheme" actually was.  But the mushrooms haven't Jules.   We recollect exactly what you promised.  And what you promised is not going to bring this new technology to the homes at all.   Is it liar?

Craptaculate me dead, they have screwed the mushrooms good and proper.  Who fell for this nutsack scrotal?

I voted Liberal.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:52pm

deepy - yes, I also thought to invest a lot of money on a fixed system in a fst moving industry was foolishness to the extreme.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #37 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 6:37am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:52pm:
deepy - yes, I also thought to invest a lot of money on a fixed system in a fst moving industry was foolishness to the extreme.

This back to the future approach to government competing with private industry on something as intangible as technology is madness.   Billions of dollars which could be spent on services that matter to people (health, education anyone?) would be buried in the ground as a fibre optic cable to nowhere from nowhere as private enterprise develops super broadband wireless technology to the home.

It's like building tram tracks while the rest of the world is using hover cars.

I voted Liberal.  They're not tangled up in the past with stupid ideas, steam age industrial dictatorships, bullying banks, threatening sovereign nations on the high seas . . . .  and they know how dishwashers work.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - May 3rd, 2011 at 4:50pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:14am:
Well it didn't need to be much of a time machine in the end - fast forward just one day . . . .

Quote:
Stand-off in Rudd telco plan

KEVIN Rudd's plan for an $8 billion broadband joint venture with Telstra could be stillborn, after the telco giant ruled out any financial co-operation with the federal Government yesterday.
But the Government confirmed last night that its intention to invest in the network, and seek a commercial return, remained unchanged.

A key plank in Mr Rudd's policy plan for Australia's future is by way of either a public/private partnership, or equity investment with either Telstra or another telecommunications company or consortium.

Mr Rudd has committed a taxpayer contribution of up to $4.7 billion to a national fibre-to-the-node network that Telstra was the frontrunner to build.

But at an industry conference in Sydney yesterday, Telstra's public policy chief Phil Burgess ruled out Telstra's participation in any financial joint venture.

"It won't be with us, it will be with somebody else," Dr Burgess said. "We're not going to do consortiums, or equity or things like that. It's not the way we do things."

"The Government's policy remains as announced," freshly sworn-in Minister for Broadband, Communications and Digital Economy Stephen Conroy told The Australian.

Dr Burgess claimed that Telstra's position on the issue "is clear and we have not changed that position since July 2005 and it remains the same".

"And that's to build an advanced communications network in this country as rapidly as possible, as cheaply as possible.

"And it should be an open- access high-speed broadband network. That is what we want to do.

"But what we have also made clear is we're not going to do it in a consortium, because consortiums don't work. We're not going to do it in partnership with some other provider. We're not going to do it if the Government is going to be an equity holder and decision-maker."

Under Mr Rudd's plan, Labor has said it will create a new panel to scope the broadband project, disbanding an existing panel created by the previous Government for a tender for a metropolitan-only broadband network.

Senator Conroy said he was working on the panel and was in the midst of departmental briefings on a range of matters.

Optus, which is leading the G9 consortium's rival bid to build a structurally-separated FTTN, said Telstra's should reveal its wholesale access pricing to industry before the Labor government considers its bid.

Pointing to pricing for wireless broadband services on Telstra's Next-G network, which is the only one of its kind in Australia, Optus regulatory director Paul Fletcher said pricing should be critical to Labor's assessment process.

"The lesson that it sends to us is clear - that where Telstra has the only network you're going to see exceptionally high prices," Mr Fletcher said.

Dr Burgess refused to reveal how much the carrier would charge for access to its network, but said that the "new Telstra" would pursue premium service business model.

"The new Telstra will be a premium provider charging premium prices and we make no apology for that," he said.

"If someone starts undercutting us and people start wanting to do, then we'll start working out how to deal with that competitive situation. But the fact is we don't want to be the low-cost producer."

Mr Fletcher argued Telstra's pricing position justified public spending on alternative infrastructure. "If you've got an incumbent saying we're going to be charging these kinds of prices, then it's a very good thing to be allocating public money to subsidise the rollout into areas to give new choice, new alternatives and new pricing. That's competition working," he said.

Dr Burgess said if the Government wanted to continue with its investment policy "they can go in that direction. They have Optus ... and all kinds of other companies around here they can do consortiums and joint ventures and PPPs and ... whatever else they want to do."

He added that if another provider begins deploying a new broadband network, Telstra would follow with its own.

Dr Burgess referred to what will likely take place under Labor for the telco industry was a "pretty massive renovation" rather than "cosmetic repaint" or a "tear down" or "demolition".

"We need to see whether the post-election rhetoric matches the election rhetoric," he said.

Prepare to be enthusiastically screwed by business all ye taxpayers

It is the beginning of the economic disaster that Liebor will bring to we previously prosperous and happy Australians.

What the hell, it was only 8 billion back then?

So thanks to the ALP's procastination its now $42billion.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #39 - May 3rd, 2011 at 5:00pm

WE'RE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE NBN DEBATE!!!!  Wink Wink

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - May 3rd, 2011 at 5:04pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 3rd, 2011 at 5:00pm:
WE'RE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE NBN DEBATE!!!!  Wink Wink

So why has the price gone up over 5 fold in four years?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #41 - May 3rd, 2011 at 5:12pm

UH OH, Tony Abbott has lost momentum!!!

Bye-Bye Tony 'waste of the-clever-countrys-time' Abbott!

Embarrassed Embarrassed Cry

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - May 3rd, 2011 at 5:14pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 3rd, 2011 at 5:12pm:
UH OH, Tony Abbott has lost momentum!!!

Bye-Bye Tony 'waste of the-clever-countrys-time' Abbott!

Embarrassed Embarrassed Cry

Why cant you tell me why its worth over 5 fold more in 4 years?

You claim to be such an expert on the topic?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - May 3rd, 2011 at 5:18pm

more likely they got it wrong in the first place... they havent got anything else right.. so why would that be any different?..

and as the Minister conroy doesnt know where the first conections are going.. I doubt he could answer that question either verge

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #44 - May 3rd, 2011 at 5:25pm

cods wrote on May 3rd, 2011 at 5:18pm:
more likely they got it wrong in the first place... they havent got anything else right.. so why would that be any different?..

and as the Minister conroy doesnt know where the first conections are going.. I doubt he could answer that question either verge

double-uh oh.... TONY ABBOTT must really be scared about falling too fast to bring out the big guns of cods!??!  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print