Nelson the softie (Read 13237 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Nelson the softie
Dec 2nd, 2007 at 12:38pm

Nelson plays down report of Turnbull row

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Nelson-plays-down-report-of-Turnbull-row/2007/12/02/1196530460355.html

Brendan Nelson has refused to deny reports his unsuccessful Liberal leadership rival Malcolm Turnbull stormed into his office on his first day in the job demanding he toughen up.

Dr Nelson defeated the high-profile Mr Turnbull 45 votes to 42 in a partyroom ballot to seize the Liberal leadership on Thursday.

It was reported on Saturday that a furious Mr Turnbull walked into Dr Nelson's office within an hour of the vote and tore into his colleague for delivering a "funereal" leadership acceptance speech.

Dr Nelson would not be drawn on the issue on Sunday, but did not deny the conversation occurred.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Nelson the softie
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:23pm

freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 12:38pm:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Nelson-plays-down-report-of-Turnbull-row/2007/12/02/1196530460355.html

Brendan Nelson has refused to deny reports his unsuccessful Liberal leadership rival Malcolm Turnbull stormed into his office on his first day in the job demanding he toughen up.

Dr Nelson defeated the high-profile Mr Turnbull 45 votes to 42 in a partyroom ballot to seize the Liberal leadership on Thursday.

It was reported on Saturday that a furious Mr Turnbull walked into Dr Nelson's office within an hour of the vote and tore into his colleague for delivering a "funereal" leadership acceptance speech.

Dr Nelson would not be drawn on the issue on Sunday, but did not deny the conversation occurred.

Brendan Nelson is not the man for the job but it doesn't really matter at the moment, it's three years until the economy gets back on track now.  And it will require massive intervention by then so someone worthy should be in place then.  Turnbull would do the trick.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:29pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:23pm:

Brendan Nelson is not the man for the job but it doesn't really matter at the moment, it's three years until the economy gets back on track now.  And it will require massive intervention by then so someone worthy should be in place then.  Turnbull would do the trick.

Tell me DT, even though it is only eight days after the election, why is it that suddenly the economy is off track?  Are you saying that just because Labor won only eight days ago, that, in that time, the wheels have ipso facto fallen off and that basic economic indicators predict that it will take three years to get it back on track?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:47pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:29pm:

Brendan Nelson is not the man for the job but it doesn't really matter at the moment, it's three years until the economy gets back on track now.  And it will require massive intervention by then so someone worthy should be in place then.  Turnbull would do the trick.

Tell me DT, even though it is only eight days after the election, why is it that suddenly the economy is off track?  Are you saying that just because Labor won only eight days ago, that, in that time, the wheels have ipso facto fallen off and that basic economic indicators predict that it will take three years to get it back on track?

Kevvy's stated policies will cause a fair amount of destruction to the economy and the current fiscal position.  I'll give you an example.

One of his stated aims is a fibre optic broadband network which will reach something like 99% of Australian households.   If this was a profitable goal a telecom would do it - but they have resisted due to the uneconomic and unreasonable insistence to get a cable to the Old Jigabboo Station in Whoopwhoop.

All the profit, obviously, is in the city.

So if Kevvy builds the cable network the resposibility to service the outback is now the taxpayers and not the telcos.  What's more Kevvy will have plundered the future fund for the money to build it.

Now if I was Telstra I would build a second fibre optic network.  One which only serviced the cities.  This will make them vast amounts of money and they will not use Kevvy's cable at all.  Why rent his when you can own your own?

So the money Kevvy ploughs into the cable will be lost and will return nothing at all of substance.

Furthermore the future fund - set up to fund the unfunded superannuation of public servants - is now depleted.  Who will pay the super?  You and me, the taxpayers.

Kevvy will be roundly screwed by corporations if he tries to compete with them - they are far smarter than a dim-witted public servant like him.  Trouble is when he gets screwed we pick up the tab.   We will need to fund the super all over again, and it is highly likely that by the time he lays the useless thing the technology will have surpassed a fibre optic cable running all the way to that town sprint said is the farthest away from an ocean way out west.

Anyone noticed the uptake of wireless?  Apparently not Kevvy.  The coalition very wisely got out of the technological race and sold off Telstra - Kevvy wants to wind the clock back and pour billions into competing with cutting edge technology at our expense.

The coalition will have one hell of a job putting Kevvy's disasters behind us.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2007 at 7:12am by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:44am

deepthought wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:47pm:
Aussie wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:29pm:

Tell me DT, even though it is only eight days after the election, why is it that suddenly the economy is off track?  Are you saying that just because Labor won only eight days ago, that, in that time, the wheels have ipso facto fallen off and that basic economic indicators predict that it will take three years to get it back on track?

Kevvy's stated policies will cause a fair amount of destruction to the economy and the current fiscal position.  I'll give you an example.

One of his stated aims is a fibre optic broadband network which will reach something like 99% of Australian households.   If this was a profitable goal a telecom would do it - but they have resisted due to the uneconomic and unreasonable insistence to get a cable to the Old Jigabboo Station in Whoopwhoop.

All the profit, obviously, is in the city.

So if Kevvy builds the cable network the resposibility to service the outback is now the taxpayers and not the telcos.  What's more Kevvy will have plundered the future fund for the money to build it.

Now if I was Telstra I would build a second fibre optic network.  One which only serviced the cities.  This will make them vast amounts of money and they will not use Kevvy's cable at all.  Why rent his when you can own your own?

So the money Kevvy ploughs into the cable will be lost and will return nothing at all of substance.

Furthermore the future fund - set up to fund the unfunded superannuation of public servants - is now depleted.  Who will pay the super?  You and me, the taxpayers.

Kevvy will be roundly screwed by corporations if he tries to compete with them - they are far smarter than a dim-witted public servant like him.  Trouble is when he gets screwed we pick up the tab.   We will need to fund the super all over again, and it is highly likely that by the time he lays the useless thing the technology will have surpassed a fibre optic cable running all the way to that town sprint said is the farthest away from an ocean way out west.

Anyone noticed the uptake of wireless?  Apparently not Kevvy.  The coalition very wisely got out of the technological race and sold off Telstra - Kevvy wants to wind the clock back and pour billions into competing with cutting edge technology at our expense.

The coalition will have one hell of a job putting Kevvy's disasters behind us.

So, it is all just speculation on your part.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 12:47pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:44am:
So, it is all just speculation on your part.

No, I actually have a time machine.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:14am

Well it didn't need to be much of a time machine in the end - fast forward just one day . . . .

Quote:
Stand-off in Rudd telco plan

KEVIN Rudd's plan for an $8 billion broadband joint venture with Telstra could be stillborn, after the telco giant ruled out any financial co-operation with the federal Government yesterday.

But the Government confirmed last night that its intention to invest in the network, and seek a commercial return, remained unchanged.

A key plank in Mr Rudd's policy plan for Australia's future is by way of either a public/private partnership, or equity investment with either Telstra or another telecommunications company or consortium.

Mr Rudd has committed a taxpayer contribution of up to $4.7 billion to a national fibre-to-the-node network that Telstra was the frontrunner to build.

But at an industry conference in Sydney yesterday, Telstra's public policy chief Phil Burgess ruled out Telstra's participation in any financial joint venture.

"It won't be with us, it will be with somebody else," Dr Burgess said. "We're not going to do consortiums, or equity or things like that. It's not the way we do things."

"The Government's policy remains as announced," freshly sworn-in Minister for Broadband, Communications and Digital Economy Stephen Conroy told The Australian.

Dr Burgess claimed that Telstra's position on the issue "is clear and we have not changed that position since July 2005 and it remains the same".

"And that's to build an advanced communications network in this country as rapidly as possible, as cheaply as possible.

"And it should be an open- access high-speed broadband network. That is what we want to do.

"But what we have also made clear is we're not going to do it in a consortium, because consortiums don't work. We're not going to do it in partnership with some other provider. We're not going to do it if the Government is going to be an equity holder and decision-maker."

Under Mr Rudd's plan, Labor has said it will create a new panel to scope the broadband project, disbanding an existing panel created by the previous Government for a tender for a metropolitan-only broadband network.

Senator Conroy said he was working on the panel and was in the midst of departmental briefings on a range of matters.

Optus, which is leading the G9 consortium's rival bid to build a structurally-separated FTTN, said Telstra's should reveal its wholesale access pricing to industry before the Labor government considers its bid.

Pointing to pricing for wireless broadband services on Telstra's Next-G network, which is the only one of its kind in Australia, Optus regulatory director Paul Fletcher said pricing should be critical to Labor's assessment process.

"The lesson that it sends to us is clear - that where Telstra has the only network you're going to see exceptionally high prices," Mr Fletcher said.

Dr Burgess refused to reveal how much the carrier would charge for access to its network, but said that the "new Telstra" would pursue premium service business model.

"The new Telstra will be a premium provider charging premium prices and we make no apology for that," he said.

"If someone starts undercutting us and people start wanting to do, then we'll start working out how to deal with that competitive situation. But the fact is we don't want to be the low-cost producer."

Mr Fletcher argued Telstra's pricing position justified public spending on alternative infrastructure. "If you've got an incumbent saying we're going to be charging these kinds of prices, then it's a very good thing to be allocating public money to subsidise the rollout into areas to give new choice, new alternatives and new pricing. That's competition working," he said.

Dr Burgess said if the Government wanted to continue with its investment policy "they can go in that direction. They have Optus ... and all kinds of other companies around here they can do consortiums and joint ventures and PPPs and ... whatever else they want to do."

He added that if another provider begins deploying a new broadband network, Telstra would follow with its own.

Dr Burgess referred to what will likely take place under Labor for the telco industry was a "pretty massive renovation" rather than "cosmetic repaint" or a "tear down" or "demolition".

"We need to see whether the post-election rhetoric matches the election rhetoric," he said.

Prepare to be enthusiastically screwed by business all ye taxpayers

It is the beginning of the economic disaster that Liebor will bring to we previously prosperous and happy Australians.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:25am by deepthought »  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Turnbull more popular than Nelson: poll
Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:22am

There is sound economic justification for government ownership of resources where the nature of the marketplace makes monopoly either inevitable or more efficient.

Turnbull more popular than Nelson: poll

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Turnbull-more-popular-than-Nelson-poll/2007/12/04/1196530606596.html

Voters have rejected Brendan Nelson as the Liberal's choice for federal leader, with a new opinion poll showing rising star Malcolm Turnbull nearly twice as popular.

The Newspoll, conducted for The Australian newspaper, has Mr Turnbull on 34 per cent support as best leader for the Liberal party, compared with 18 per cent for Dr Nelson, 14 per cent for deputy leader Julie Bishop, and 9 per cent for former health minister Tony Abbott, who pulled out of the race.

In Thursday's Liberal leadership ballot, Dr Nelson pipped Mr Turnbull, the former environment minister, by three votes - 45 to 42.

Meanwhile, Kevin Rudd has received 61 per cent support as preferred prime minister in their Newspoll, up from 46 per cent just before the election, while Dr Nelson polled 14 per cent.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007 at 12:09pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Turnbull more popular than Nelson: poll
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 6:59pm

freediver wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:22am:
There is sound economic justification for government ownership of resources where the nature of the marketplace makes monopoly either inevitable or more efficient.

There might be but a cable isn't a resource as it has no residual value.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 9:07pm

OK I'll rephrase for you.

There is sound economic justification for government ownership of engineered capital where the nature of the marketplace makes monopoly either inevitable or more efficient.

I hope I won't have to define engineered capital for you. Suffice to say that it includes a cable, regardless of the residual value.

http://www.don-iannone.com/edfutures/2003/08/five-forms-of-capital.html

Engineered Capital is the collection of human engineered products not already covered as human, social or financial capital. Hard-engineered capital includes physical infrastructure such as fiber optic cable, and soft-engineered capital includes the organizational and institutional infrastructure, as well as the governance of these two.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 9:16pm

freediver wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 9:07pm:
OK I'll rephrase for you.

There is sound economic justification for government ownership of engineered capital where the nature of the marketplace makes monopoly either inevitable or more efficient.

I hope I won't have to define engineered capital for you. Suffice to say that it includes a cable, regardless of the residual value.

http://www.don-iannone.com/edfutures/2003/08/five-forms-of-capital.html

Engineered Capital is the collection of human engineered products not already covered as human, social or financial capital. Hard-engineered capital includes physical infrastructure such as fiber optic cable, and soft-engineered capital includes the organizational and institutional infrastructure, as well as the governance of these two.

It doesn't matter what you call it.  If the taxpayer forks out $8b for engineered capital that has no return you may as well call it a white elephant.

After all it will have no residual value when Telstra build their own and use that and then rent it at a far better price to the competition.  Will the government compete with private enterprise and price cut?   They do so at their peril because they will lose even more taxpayer dollars if they try.

And when the technology replaces it altogether Telstra will have depreciated their asset and the taxpayer will have paid for both - but we still own one which never had any income and now has no residual value.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:33am

What makes you think it would be profitable for Telstra to put in cables alongside the government ones?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 6:15pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:33am:
What makes you think it would be profitable for Telstra to put in cables alongside the government ones?

Because they will use their own.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 9:28am

Do they have special cables that the government doesn't have access to?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:51pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 9:28am:
Do they have special cables that the government doesn't have access to?

They will be identical.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print