Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Islam; Who's in charge? (Read 31814 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Islam; Who's in charge?
Reply #90 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:15am

yes sure helian.
Which article was that one ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:19am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:15am:
yes sure helian.
Which article was that one ?

http://www.eni.ch/articles/display.shtml?05-0596

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:27am

thanks helian. good on them

Hope you are sitting down.
When i was getting divorced I asked a muslim work associate to pray for me. he was surprised.
In honesty, I would not do that now.
because of the response i get when i query them and what i have learnt since then.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #93 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:47am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:27am:

When i was getting divorced I asked a muslim work associate to pray for me. he was surprised.
because of the response i get when i query them and what i have learnt since then.

Isn't being Christian also about holding out against the temptation to hate? Isn't true compassion about learning to love those you could more easily despise?

No one likes being bashed over the head with feverishly read and only partly understood verses from their holy books. I would not expect a Muslim to whizz through the bible underlining the crappy bits, then looking for Christian victims on which to pour their scorn and if he did I would expect him to be dismissed as a nutter. I bet if you went looking for moderate Muslims to honestly discuss their faith, they would be more than happy to show you that Islam is not about bombs and death but a code for living a decent life as is Christianity.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:54am

helian -
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "
Matthew 5:13

my meeting with a "moderate" at a library put your theory to rest.
I have asked for a long time for a muslim to come here and had no takers.
I have been to muslim rooms and been banned.

they are moderate, till you query them.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #95 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:18am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:27am:

No doubt hardship brings us closer to God, and having modesty and humility brings us very close to God.

If only we remembered those lessons when life got better instead of changing for the worst eh?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #96 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:27am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:54am:
helian -
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "

First of all. You don't query people Sprint.. You insult their beliefs and ask questions in an accusitive way. When a Muslim gives you the facts you ignore that and continue berating them with the same questions over and over until they react as any human would and leave or get angry with you. Then you go on and say they were extremists and not moderate.. It is a typical tactic I have come across many times, you are responsible for your own behavior and the way people react to you is a product of your treatment of them. No doubt it is obvious here why you even got divorced in the first place, I find it amazing anyone could put up with you when you have so much arrogance and pride and no humility or respect for anyone's opinion but your own. You constantly say you appreciate having a Muslim here but you actually don't.. The arrogance and hate you have are very evident and speak for themselves to show you to be fake. You exposed yourself.

The prophet Muhammad pbuh once said "even a mustard seed's worth of pride would prevent one from going to paradise"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #97 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:29am

malik - has God ever spoken to you?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #98 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:48am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:29am:

you could say that.. I have had some truly amazing experiences with the Creator Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #99 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:51am

Malik - that's great. Smiley

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #100 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:55am

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:48am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:29am:

you could say that.. I have had some truly amazing experiences with the Creator Smiley

Call your imaginary friend Donald Duck, and the men in white coats haul you away, call him God, and you expect respect.
Go figure.

Please tell me Malik, why we do not see huge protests from Muslims, against the violent jerks who give you all a bad name?

They have no trouble getting together to protest for self interest, but n ot for the general good it seems.

A cartoon can inspire them to mass protest and violence on a global scale, but to deliver a message of peace and tolerance they cannot muster a girl scout meeting.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #101 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:15am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:54am:
helian -

I've spoken to Christians (fundamentalists / Evangelists / Pentecostals) who seem quite ordinary until they discuss their Christian beliefs. It's then you realise the depth of their contempt for all those who aren't 'right with God' and the rigidity with which they interpret Christian text. Don't talk to them about the NT contradictions they all have their own justifications for them which are about as inane as the contradiction itself.  However, as I don't practice any religion, I've avoided religious debate with the 'fundys' where I can and found that works fine.  The 'Christians' go back to being ordinary and life goes on. I have never discussed Islam other than the basics with Muslims and don't intend to.

You can't debate people's faith away... It's faith. It's what you believe without the need for proof despite the contradictions et al.

Is anyone moderate about what they feel passionate about? The question is how to constrain that immoderation against a drift towards dogmatism and violence.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:16pm

helian - I have heard that comment too.  Prob find it as .... elitist/smug/arrogant as you do

Try this one for them.
"thought Jesus says to not judge others, or you will be judged by the same measure ?"
Or " what is that quote, (acting innocently), something about "you hyprocrites are removing a speck of dust from your brothers eye, when yours has a whole plank in it !!

Or "It says you will be judged by what you have been given. So if someone was born in saudi, they will prob be a muslim.
On that basis, unjust to "punish" them for being a muslim.
Likewise, what about an infant that dies of starvation at 4 weeks old.
Going to "punish" the infant for not being a xian ???"

Good luck !!!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #103 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:16pm:
helian - I have heard that comment too.  Prob find it as .... elitist/smug/arrogant as you do

Try this one for them.
"thought Jesus says to not judge others, or you will be judged by the same measure ?"
Or " what is that quote, (acting innocently), something about "you hyprocrites are removing a speck of dust from your brothers eye, when yours has a whole plank in it !!

Or "It says you will be judged by what you have been given. So if someone was born in saudi, they will prob be a muslim.
On that basis, unjust to "punish" them for being a muslim.
Likewise, what about an infant that dies of starvation at 4 weeks old.
Going to "punish" the infant for not being a xian ???"

Good luck !!!

I mostly avoid seriously debating matters of faith because faith is not up for serious debate. There is little or no criteria for falsification. I cannot prove to a Christian that Jesus is not divine to his/her satisfaction because he/she will not give me any criteria by which he/she will accept that Jesus is not divine. A Christian simply believes that it is so and that is that. The same is true of Islam. The Prophet received the Koran from God via the angel Gabriel (so I'm told) and that is that. You either believe it or you don't.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #104 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Falsification is not the only way to approach a debate. It's not all about truth. Beauty is just as important. Politics would be very boring if we only concerned ourselves only with the positive and ignored the normative.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print