Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Islam; Who's in charge? (Read 31781 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Islam; Who's in charge?
May 31st, 2008 at 1:56pm

Apparently it is anyone who claims to have a direct link to the intentions of Allah, by having read his book.

That is why we have ludicrous, hateful scum, justifying the rape of women because of the fact that they choose not to wear a tent and mask for an outfit.
Anyone with the ability to read the book, is then entitled to spread whatever message of hate or violence that they extract from said writings.
Start a Jihad, beat your wife,marry a few extra wives and beat them too, chop off a few hands, stone adultresses, become a suicide bomber, etc.
This is just an example of some of the loving advice being given out to young muslims, by their respected teachers.

Who apart from me has a problem with anybody teaching that sort of garbage to kids??

Quite a few, if we are honest with ourselves, and stop pandering to the ridiculous opinion that all cultures and beliefs deserve to be respected.
Rape, wife beating, polygamy, terrorism, war and murder, anti-semitism are not high on my list of things I wish to respect.

I think that a big part of the problem with Islam, is the fact that they have no supreme theological ruler who can tell these individual, extremist, hate mongers to pull their heads in, and to stop promoting these messages of separation from their host cultures, and hatred and intolerance toward them. They need someone to tell them it is not cool to preach hate and violence.

Is it any wonder that ordinary citizens are fed up with a group migrating to our country, deriding and ignoring our values, demanding we change our customs to fit in with their beliefs, and expect exemption from the law, in regard to promoting their messages of violence and hatred, and then demand that we respect them, and their beliefs?

Well I say to them, "After You!"
You show respect for our culture and our customs.
You follow our laws.
You police your extremists, who literally want to kill us, and our kids, for not being the same as them.
Stop hiding, protecting and encouraging, even by tacit understanding, these nutty extremist bastards, and then we may start to develop a relationship where we can respect you equally, as good, honest, law abiding Aussies.
But before that can happen, you must earn it.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Islam; Who's in charge?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008 at 4:45pm

If they did as you suggest, I'ld be fine to have them in Aussie.
But if they did that, they would be breaking the koran.

At least some of them have the guts to stand up and say what their goal is.

Bring in the wiccans, pagans, athiests, agnostics, buddhists and satanists by the boat load.
They're fine and pose no threat to anyone.
I particularily like the wiccans and athiests. Just good people to chat and live with.
Pagans and agnostics are a bit wishywashy, but that's not at all a drama !!!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:11am

mozzaok wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 1:56pm:
Apparently it is anyone who claims to have a direct link to the intentions of Allah, by having read his book.

That is why we have ludicrous, hateful scum, justifying the rape of women because of the fact that they choose not to wear a tent and mask for an outfit.
Anyone with the ability to read the book, is then entitled to spread whatever message of hate or violence that they extract from said writings.
Start a Jihad, beat your wife,marry a few extra wives and beat them too, chop off a few hands, stone adultresses, become a suicide bomber, etc.
This is just an example of some of the loving advice being given out to young muslims, by their respected teachers.

Who apart from me has a problem with anybody teaching that sort of garbage to kids??

Quite a few, if we are honest with ourselves, and stop pandering to the ridiculous opinion that all cultures and beliefs deserve to be respected.
Rape, wife beating, polygamy, terrorism, war and murder, anti-semitism are not high on my list of things I wish to respect.

I think that a big part of the problem with Islam, is the fact that they have no supreme theological ruler who can tell these individual, extremist, hate mongers to pull their heads in, and to stop promoting these messages of separation from their host cultures, and hatred and intolerance toward them. They need someone to tell them it is not cool to preach hate and violence.

Is it any wonder that ordinary citizens are fed up with a group migrating to our country, deriding and ignoring our values, demanding we change our customs to fit in with their beliefs, and expect exemption from the law, in regard to promoting their messages of violence and hatred, and then demand that we respect them, and their beliefs?

Well I say to them, "After You!"
You show respect for our culture and our customs.
You follow our laws.
You police your extremists, who literally want to kill us, and our kids, for not being the same as them.
Stop hiding, protecting and encouraging, even by tacit understanding, these nutty extremist bastards, and then we may start to develop a relationship where we can respect you equally, as good, honest, law abiding Aussies.
But before that can happen, you must earn it.

To your first statement: False, no one can be in charge simply by claiming a direct connection to God by simply reading the Qur'an.

To your second statement: Islam doesn't encourage beating one's wife/wives nor rape. In fact it condemns both and there have severe punishments. The punishment for rape can be as serious as having one's hands and feet cut off and being left in the desert, or being crucified.

Regarding stoning of adulteresses, the hadd punishment of stoning applies both to women AND men who cheat on their partners so please don't try and make it look like it's something exclusively for women. And when it comes to any such thing there needs to be four reliable people who witnessed this incident to testify in a court regarding the matter. You see the punishment for adultery or anything else that carries a penalty like you've mentioned is not necessarily there because of the crime, but think about it this way: If you cheat on your wife or husband in a private place where there can't be four witnesses then obviously the punishment of stoning can't apply.. The punishment is actually because someone did the crime, and were so arrogant about it that they wanted to flaunt it in front of everyone else. That is a danger to not only themselves but also to the sanctity of society and thus is punishable by stoning.

I do agree that there are minute elements within the Muslim community that are extreme and promote violence, and certainly I have seen this in every community and not only in the Muslim community. I don't think it's appropriate to paint all of the Muslims with the same brush regarding this as you seem to be doing. I do also think that it is necessary for the government to stop allowing the Saudi Arabian government and other Wahabi organisations from setting up schools and funding imams in Australia. It only breeds hate and leads to more conflict. But does the Australian government have the guts to refuse the Saudi wahabi a voice in Australia.

Perhaps if we really want to see change and really want to see the extremists dealt with we need to stop being hypocritical and stop supporting all of the dictatorships in the Middle East, instead of being picky and choosey on which tyrant we support.. Let the Middle East sort their own mess out and they will come to democracy and freedom willingly, if you impose it on them they will fight it. If we stop supporting the tyrants there then we wouldn't have the problem with extremism we have now.

Regarding migrants coming in and integrating into society I completely agree. I think that people who don't respect the laws and customs of the land should be sent home. But I guarantee you its not only a few Muslims that will be sent home, its also people from other countries and religions too.. And I'm cool with that. But we also need to address the issue of racism that we have here. We can't be one sided to say that it's only the immigrants fault. Racism is a contributing factor to this equation and even when Christian Greeks came into this country (like my grandparents) there was a huge amount of racism against them. That can cause reactions from the Migrants including counter racism and supremacy

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 4:26am

malik - please interperet these quotes for me.

"Tabari IX:113 "Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Men take authority over women... As for those who are disobedient, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. 4:34

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:34am

Thanks for the reply malik.

You missed my point, re: who's in charge, I was pointing out that nobody is.
Therefore every nutbag can claim to be on a divine mission, with no person or Islamic authority able to contradict him.

All religions have extremists, but the mainstream religions have a system to denounce them, if they get out of line, so that the rank and file do not get led off track.

As for men being stoned for adultery, can you provide an example where it has happened? We regularly have reports of women murdered by various forms of torture in Islamic countries, for sexual indiscretions, like forgetting to zip up their tent, or being raped, but I have never heard of a single case in my lifetime, of a male being subjected to similiar treatment.

I fully agree with your remarks about the Saudis, financing and promoting their own brand of totalitarianism, and it exemplifies the hypocrisy of the west where they vilify everything Iranian, but ignore the deeds of the Saudis.

I do not wish to vilify all muslims, but the reality is that because they do not regulate themselves, the abhorrent behaviour of the minority has imposed itself on our culture to the point where we must address it, because the muslim world is not doing so.

I believe in live and let live, but while some out there wish me, and all non-muslims like me, dead, for not believing in Allah, then we all have a problem.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:49pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:04pm:
As for men being stoned for adultery, can you provide an example where it has happened? We regularly have reports of women murdered by various forms of torture in Islamic countries, for sexual indiscretions, like forgetting to zip up their tent, or being raped, but I have never heard of a single case in my lifetime, of a male being subjected to similiar treatment.

Stoned to death for committing adultery

Dylan Welch
April 3, 2008 - 8:45AM

Advertisement
A man and a woman have reportedly been stoned to death by the Taliban after being found guilty of adultery by a tribal court in Pakistan's border region.

The stoning was carried out in a tribal area on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan where the Taliban has a strong presence, Pakistani newspaper Dawn reported.

The killings are the first recorded incident of death by stoning by the militants, who usually put accused before firing squads, the newspaper stated.

The pair had been captured by the Taliban after eloping about two weeks ago from a border area known as the Mohmand Agency.

A complaint was made that the woman, married to another man, had been kidnapped but it was later reported that she had actually eloped.

A spokesman for the local Taliban told the newspaper the militants had captured them as they returned from Karachi.

They tried the couple, found them guilty and sentenced them to death by stoning.

After the executions were carried out the man's body was handed over to his relatives. The body of the woman was buried in the area by local people, the newspaper stated.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/04/03/1206851052700.html

Iran confirms man stoned to death for adultery

The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
TEHRAN, Iran: A man convicted of adultery was stoned to death last week in a village in northern Iran, an Iranian judiciary spokesman said Tuesday, the first time in years that the country has confirmed such an execution.

Jafar Kiani was stoned to death Thursday in Aghchekand, 200 kilometers (124 miles) west of Tehran, said spokesman Ali Reza Jamshidi.

Death sentences are carried out in Iran after they are upheld by the Supreme Court. Under Iran's Islamic law, adultery is punishable by stoning.

Jamshidi did not elaborate on how the stoning was carried out. Under Islamic rulings, a man is usually buried up to his waist, while a woman is buried up to her neck with her hands also buried. Those carrying out the verdict then throw stones until the condemned dies.

International human rights groups have long criticized stoning in Iran as a "cruel and barbaric" punishment.

Before Iran's confirmation, U.N. human rights chief Louise Arbour condemned the execution, her spokesman said.

"The execution has apparently gone ahead despite Iran's moratorium on execution by stoning, a moratorium that had been in effect since 2002," said Jose Diaz of U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights.

"Stoning is in clear violation of international law," Diaz said in Geneva. He said Arbour considered stoning to be a form of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment that is prohibited under an international treaty that Iran has signed.

In Oslo, Norway, Iran's ambassador was summoned by Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere to protest the stoning, the Norwegian Foreign Ministry said.

Stoere was "deeply upset" that the death penalty had been carried out and called stoning an "inhumane and barbaric method of punishment," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Frode Andersen.

The reported execution came two weeks after international pressure, including protests from Norway, caused Iranian officials to delay carrying out the sentence against Kiani and his female companion, Mokarrameh Ebrahimi, who also was sentenced to death by stoning. It was not known if a date had been set for her execution.

Norway's embassy in Teheran will try to arrange for representatives of the international community to visit Ebrahimi in prison, the Norwegian foreign ministry said.

The couple had reportedly been imprisoned for 11 years.

Stoning was widely imposed in the early years after the 1979 Islamic revolution that toppled the pro-Western Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and brought hard-line clerics to power. But in recent years, it has seldom been applied, although the government rarely confirms when it carries out stoning sentences.

There is no official report of the last time Iran stoned someone to death, but there were unconfirmed media reports that a couple was stoned in 2006 in the northeastern town of Mashhad.

Women's rights activists headed by feminist lawyer Shadi Sadr have been campaigning to have the sentence removed from Iran's statutes.

Iran's reformist legislators have demanded an end to death by stoning as a punishment for adultery, but opposition from hard-line clerics sidelined their efforts.

Capital offenses in Iran include murder, rape, armed robbery, apostasy, blasphemy, serious drug trafficking, adultery or prostitution, treason and espionage.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/10/africa/ME-GEN-Iran-Stoning.php

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:07pm

Thanks for the reply malik.

Therefore every nutbag can claim to be on a divine mission, with no person or Islamic authority able to contradict him.

All religions have extremists, but the mainstream religions have a system to denounce them, if they get out of line, so that the rank and file do not get led off track.

I would disagree with the notion that this is limited to Islam, you are delusional if you believe that Islam is the only religion that has similar problems. Perhaps if you go to the Middle East you will see the Jewish Hill Top Youth and Kahanists in Israel who want to drive all of the Arabs out of most of the Middle East and destroy the Al Aqsa Mosque and Dome of the Rock so that they can establish their temple and "Greater Israel" and so that their Massiah will come and kill the non believers.

There are Christian groups in the Bible belt that believe similar things and have no problem in killing non believers.

We do have a system of hierarchy in Islam but the problem is that we have no Islamic State where such matters can be dealt with. Thus no juristiction.

And we do denounce extremism and terrorism, but such things simply do not get on the news. You just need to search further to see that we do.

I fully agree with your remarks about the Saudis, financing and promoting their own brand of totalitarianism, and it exemplifies the hypocrisy of the west where they vilify everything Iranian, but ignore the deeds of the Saudis.

I do not wish to vilify all muslims, but the reality is that because they do not regulate themselves, the abhorrent behaviour of the minority has imposed itself on our culture to the point where we must address it, because the muslim world is not doing so.

You see the problem is that they are both connected. How on earth can we sort these terrorists and extremists out when the west supports the very tyrants who allow them to spread such ideas of hate? If the west stopped interfering in the Middle East the people themselves would establish democracy and drive out the leaders who allow the terrorists to act from their land.

Right now governments like those in Egypt and Saudi Arabia are supported by the West with huge amounts of military funding and training. The West gives legitimacy to such tyrants because the West benefits from their friendship. That is the joke, everyone in the Middle east laughs when they hear that we want to bring them democracy lol, but at the same time when we want to bring them that 'democracy' we support the leaders who brutally torture and murder their citizens who want democracy. The Middle East would embrace democracy and to an extent Western freedoms if the West stopped being hypocritical and choosey on who should have those freedoms.

The question is, why wont the West let us stop these tyrants from allowing people to spread such hate? I know the answer, do you?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 4:26am:
malik - please interperet these quotes for me.

"Tabari IX:113 "Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Men take authority over women... As for those who are disobedient, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. 4:34

Sprint have you read Tabari and seen those for statements for yourself?

I do believe I have also clarified the issue of beating women in Islam in another thread. But I'll clarify it again for you.

And I really think you do not understand the proper meaning behind the verses you are referring to in the Qur'an when it comes to beating.

Let's take a look at the verse properly.

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).

It says in the verse that if your wife is disobedient to admonish her, if she continues to do so then to refuse to share your bed with her.. If that continues and you find use in it to 'beat' her lightly. But what does it mean by beat?

In this context and by the examples of the prophet we are told that the force one should use is as if u were to beat her with a feather and even then not on the head, face or front of the body.

It is to be used in only extreme cases where it is the last option before divorcing her. It is done not to cause physical harm but to shock her into seeing the gravity of the situation.

If one goes through their marriage being very patient with their wife no matter the headaches she gives him, but then in one situation finds his wife to be doing something so abhorrent and not reforming after admonishing her and refusing to share his bed with her. Then one is allowed to 'beat' her lightly to get the message across that if she continues it will result in divorce. If up until that point in time you have been completely patient with her no matter her attitude then even if you did 'beat' her as softly as mentioned it would shock her enough to know that you are very serious.

I will also mention that the prophet Muhammad pbuh never beat his wives, he showed us that such behaviour was even abhorrent to him. He was the most patient and merciful of all men.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 6:07pm

Malik - thanks for sticking around and saying your point of view.
It is rare for any muslim to come here, and rarer for any to stay.

Good on you.

(Course, this does not mean I agree with what you say, it means I support and encourage your right to say it.)

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:58pm

Thanks again Malik.
Your posts regarding the stoning of men was interesting, and I had not seen them reported.
The fact is that in both cases it was couples, whose crime was to fall in love, and to try and escape from a barbaric and primitive, medieval system which sought to torture them to death for this crime, which would be accepted as mundane, if unfortunate, in any other culture but that of Islam.
To see that they are killed in such a brutal way, for what is not really a crime in the mind of any, but the most extreme religious fanatics, only goes to highlight the cultural divide that lays between Islam, and the rest of the world.

The parenthisised qualifications you used to try and make the Islamic practice of wife beating seem less barbaric and backward than it is does not really bear any resemblance to the realities of what actually occurs.
I hardly think an enraged husband, who thinks of his wife as his inferior, and his possession, is going to ask her to pass the feather while he gives her a sound thrashing with it.
What you are offering up is in fact merely apologetic, and inaccurate justification of something which, either you know in your heart to be wrong, or you know to be so abhorrent to the general population that you seek to disguise your true beliefs.

Still, like sprint I gratefully acknowledge your willingness to put forward your point in an open forum where you obviously expect to draw criticisms, thank you.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 9:20pm

Quote:
In this context and by the examples of the prophet we are told that the force one should use is as if u were to beat her with a feather and even then not on the head, face or front of the body.

It is to be used in only extreme cases where it is the last option before divorcing her. It is done not to cause physical harm but to shock her into seeing the gravity of the situation.

How would fluffing a feather, not on the head, face or front of the body.....i.e. on the back regions of a woman bring said woman to submission?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:03pm

Mozz, are you suggestiong we should have some kind of law governing who can preach?

Who is in charge of Christianity?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:17pm

Christ.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:39pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:17pm:
Christ.

About as idiotic an answer as you can get. And you want Muslims to  take you seriously and debate?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:41pm

freediver wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:03pm:
Mozz, are you suggestiong we should have some kind of law governing who can preach?

Who is in charge of Christianity?

I refrained from asking that question as it seemed too obvious. There is no singular voice for all of Christendom and there hasn't been for over 1000 years.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:03am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #15 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:56pm

Misguided attempts at tolerance and political correctness do not overly impress me FD and Helian.
If you are saying we should try and respect individuals, and their beliefs, I would agree, up to the point where their desired freedoms encroach on mine.
I have never disguised my disgust and revulsion for all religious belief systems. I do not like them, simple.
I do not care if others like them, except where that impinges on my rights.
Like teaching Religion in state schools, that sucks, as the kids of atheists like myself, who would never allow their kids to be exposed to the propaganda of christian absurdity from the age of 4 years old.

The result, the kids who do not go to religious classes are made to feel ostracised,  with talk of going to hell, etc.
So many who are agnostic, or ambivalent are happier to just go with the flow, and let their kids be taught this rubbish.

Now to your silly, and erroneous point that christianity does not have a strict hierarchy.
Catholicism, the biggest and oldest? I don't need to expand, you know, but in your pathetic attempt to appear even handed you choose to ignore it.
C of E? Similiar hierarchy to the catholics, but with the Archbishop of Canterbury as the big poobah.

Now your wacky evangelical lot, well personally I rate them as loony as the muslims, except their aim is to strip the money from the pockets of their deluded followers.
So, mainstream christianity has a strong and visible hierarchy, what equivalent to that is their in Islam?
None,so quit you bulltish, I am not attacking muslims, but I will not be coerced into pretending Islam is anything but an outdated medieval system of control, which is creating huge negative impact in our modern world.
They need an upgrade.
You remember the Vatican councils? They dragged the church kicking and screaming into a semblance of modernity, who is going to do that for Islam?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:24am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:56pm:
Misguided attempts at tolerance and political correctness do not overly impress me FD and Helian.
If you are saying we should try and respect individuals, and their beliefs, I would agree, up to the point where their desired freedoms encroach on mine.
I have never disguised my disgust and revulsion for all religious belief systems. I do not like them, simple.
I do not care if others like them, except where that impinges on my rights.
Like teaching Religion in state schools, that sucks, as the kids of atheists like myself, who would never allow their kids to be exposed to the propaganda of christian absurdity from the age of 4 years old.

The result, the kids who do not go to religious classes are made to feel ostracised,  with talk of going to hell, etc.
So many who are agnostic, or ambivalent are happier to just go with the flow, and let their kids be taught this rubbish.

Now to your silly, and erroneous point that christianity does not have a strict hierarchy.
Catholicism, the biggest and oldest? I don't need to expand, you know, but in your pathetic attempt to appear even handed you choose to ignore it.
C of E? Similiar hierarchy to the catholics, but with the Archbishop of Canterbury as the big poobah.

Now your wacky evangelical lot, well personally I rate them as loony as the muslims, except their aim is to strip the money from the pockets of their deluded followers.
So, mainstream christianity has a strong and visible hierarchy, what equivalent to that is their in Islam?
None,so quit you bulltish, I am not attacking muslims, but I will not be coerced into pretending Islam is anything but an outdated medieval system of control, which is creating huge negative impact in our modern world.
They need an upgrade.
You remember the Vatican councils? They dragged the church kicking and screaming into a semblance of modernity, who is going to do that for Islam?

Your question was ‘who is in charge of Islam’ Islam in NOT monolithic. That is a naïve understanding of the religion. Each branch of Islam has its leaders (but I will let Muslims speak for Islam).

I do know that there is a move to restore the Caliphate but you wouldn’t like that because that is the aim of Islamist groups including al Qaeda.

Christianity does not speak with one voice, so no one is 'in charge' of Christianity.

Of the three main branches (Catholicism, Orthodoxy and Protestantism) only Catholicism has a singular voice. The modern varieties of Christian denominations (the Pentecostals etc) all have their own leaders. They all greatly differ on the practice of Christianity and historically this has led to ugly protracted wars. Today there is no agreement even on the legitimacy of some leaders. Many modern Christian movements see the Pope as the anti-Christ. The Catholic Church recognises only the Pope as the voice of Christendom.

The second Vatican Council dragged the Catholic Church into a semblance of modernity not Christianity. It was in part the result of Pope John XXIII’s horror at the Nazi atrocities against the Jews. He correctly realised that the Catholic Church had encouraged anti-semitism and so was in part responsible. The first Vatican council declared the Pope infallible on matters of faith (which in effect meant there was no need for another council).

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:36am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:58pm:
Thanks again Malik.
Your posts regarding the stoning of men was interesting, and I had not seen them reported.
The fact is that in both cases it was couples, whose crime was to fall in love, and to try and escape from a barbaric and primitive, medieval system which sought to torture them to death for this crime, which would be accepted as mundane, if unfortunate, in any other culture but that of Islam.
To see that they are killed in such a brutal way, for what is not really a crime in the mind of any, but the most extreme religious fanatics, only goes to highlight the cultural divide that lays between Islam, and the rest of the world.

Mozzaok,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that you may not have seen these before. But as mentioned, the law applies equally to both men and women.

The death penalty applied to adultery is NOT for two people falling in love as you say and it really is quite ignorant to portray it like that. It is for not only breaking the sanctity of marriage of which there could be no worse crime, but also for having the audacity of outwardly doing it in public where at least four witnesses could witness it. It is for arrogantly spreading fitnah (tribulation) to the extent of selfishly imposing their perversion onto society instead of keeping their sins to themselves.

I must stress here that in Islam it is not forbidden to get a divorce if you are not happy in your marriage at all, but such a huge betrayal like cheating on the person you are married to is perhaps the worst crime one can commit, breaking a person's heart like that and destroying ones family is considered so serious that not only does it carry the death penalty if proven with the testimony of 4 witnesses, but it carries a punishment of death by stoning because of the harm it does to their spouse, family and society in general. In Islam we consider the family unit as perhaps the most important thing worth protecting and hold family values as incredibly important.

mozzaok wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:58pm:
The parenthisised qualifications you used to try and make the Islamic practice of wife beating seem less barbaric and backward than it is does not really bear any resemblance to the realities of what actually occurs.
I hardly think an enraged husband, who thinks of his wife as his inferior, and his possession, is going to ask her to pass the feather while he gives her a sound thrashing with it.
What you are offering up is in fact merely apologetic, and inaccurate justification of something which, either you know in your heart to be wrong, or you know to be so abhorrent to the general population that you seek to disguise your true beliefs.

You see that is the problem, you actually fail to understand the intention and context behind such a 'beating' and instead look to the examples that you see from your experiences. Although it is hard to blame you for that I must stress that in Islam it is certainly forbidden to beat women in a way that you are trying to portray.

In Islam, we believe that one should not act on emotion and when they are enraged as you have mentioned, in fact the prophet Muhammad pbuh said that if you are angry and standing, sit down and contemplate, if you are sitting and still angry, lie down and sleep so you can clear your mind. This is profoundly important in Islam as we are taught that to act on our emotions is a sign of weakness and that patience and clear thinking is the key to success in this life and the next.

I must also remind you that in Islam we do not hold women as inferior to men, in fact many examples can be seen where we hold women to be far more important to men. One such example can be seen when a man approached the prophet Muhammad pbuh and asked the prophet who, after God and His messenger, who he should listen to and obey the most and the prophet pbuh replied "Your mother" then man then asked again, who after his mother and the prophet pbuh replied "Your mother again" and the man asked a third time, who should he then listen to and the prophet again replied "Your mother again". The man then asked, after that who he should listen to and obey and the prophet pbuh then replied, "after that then you can listen to and obey your father".

In addition to that the prophet Muhammad pbuh is also known to have said "Paradise lies at the foot of one's mother" and to bring the point home to you further he also stated that the best of men is those who are the best to their wives and treat them with love and kindness and he exclaimed that your spouse is the second half of your faith in God.

I am not apologizing for or watering down my religion to make it seem more acceptable to you, I have the utmost faith in Islam and chose it willingly at an age where I could reason. I do not fear being completely honest and believe that I have indeed been honest to you and have not provided you with any inaccurate pieces of information.

In addition to that I must also stress that out of all of who convert to Islam in the USA every year, about 80% of those are women. They are not forced to convert and do so out of their own free will, if Islam was as bad as you portray, women would be below 50% of the converts, not at 80%.

I must also remind you that statistically one out of every 5 women in Australia suffers domestic violence, so perhaps people in glass houses should not throw stones?

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:02am

To the original question, or rather the point of it, who is going to drag Islam into the reality of a modern world.
What we see is a barbaric, medieval religion, transposed into the 21st century, with no frame of refernce.

They use the internet as the new town square, to display their beheadings and spread their messages of hate, but there is no big poobah to say, settle down boys, we are working from a book written nearly 1400 years ago, things may have changed a little, maybe we should try and get with the times?
1400 years ago, it was a world where daily violence was pretty much a fact of life, as reflected by mohammed's attitudes.
As far as I know they did not have women's lib back then either, and just about everyone beat their wives.

The trouble is the rest of us have moved on, evolved if you like, but Islam is stuck back in the first millenium.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:35am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:02am:
To the original question, or rather the point of it, who is going to drag Islam into the reality of a modern world.
What we see is a barbaric, medieval religion, transposed into the 21st century, with no frame of refernce.

They use the internet as the new town square, to display their beheadings and spread their messages of hate, but there is no big poobah to say, settle down boys, we are working from a book written nearly 1400 years ago, things may have changed a little, maybe we should try and get with the times?
1400 years ago, it was a world where daily violence was pretty much a fact of life, as reflected by mohammed's attitudes.
As far as I know they did not have women's lib back then either, and just about everyone beat their wives.

The trouble is the rest of us have moved on, evolved if you like, but Islam is stuck back in the first millenium.

As far as you know? Obviously you don't know anything really then don't you mate?

As I have already mentioned, Islam was a movement which brought rights to women who had a status of basically being objects and slaves. Islam WAS and still is the perfect form of women's liberation.

In Pre Islamic Arabia Female infanticide was prominent and fathers would bury their daughters alive in fear that if they should grow up, they perhaps may be captured in an inter tribal war and "disgrace" the tribe.

Women could not inherit wealth, vote, divorce, choose their husbands, they had no right to education, no right to be free from molestation from men on the street, no right to have a political voice etc, to be treated like equals with dignity and respect. A dowry was paid to the brides father which in a sense was payment for the bride.

Islam changed all of that, female infanticide was forbidden, women gained the right to inherit wealth, the right to vote, to divorce, to choose their husbands, the prophet Muhammad pbuh encouraged women to be educated, even if it meant that men could not be educated as preference was given to women. Women were to be treated with dignity and respect with no molestation from men, they were given equal rights and also gained a political voice. They were granted the inalienable right to be protected, provided for and loved. The dowry was then also given to the women, and not their fathers for the women to keep as a gift, not a payment to her father.

In Islam we even go as far as to say, that even if a woman has a job which pays 10 times more than her husbands does, the husband still cannot ask for or touch her wealth but instead has to provide a living for her and sustain her and her wealth is her own and she is granted the right to spend her money as she pleases. Compare that with the Christian West where up until recently, all of a woman's wealth was transferred to her husband's ownership when they got married.

Islam was the women's rights movement to come to the Arabs and women were given rights of which some were not equalled by the Christian West until the 20th century.

Women in the Christian West did not start getting educated until the 19th century and certainly not given the preference for education like in the Muslim world even until now, now it is only an equal right to have an education. Women were not given the right to vote until the 20th century, women had to pay a dowry to their husbands. There certainly was NO law against beating one's wife in the Christian West until the 20th century either, it was not looked down upon and it was a man's own business if he severely battered his wife and not anyone else could tell him how to run his household.

Beating one's wife like that was forbidden more than 1400 years ago for Muslims yet still was not criminalized in the Christian West up until only within the last 100 years. I will also add that it still continues today with statistics in the Christian West showing that in the Christian West, an average of about 22% of women go through domestic violence.

So please don't come and tell me about the status of women in Islam as being bad when history can attest that in reality, the Christian West is the one that has been incredibly barbaric and primitive in it's reluctance to give women equal rights and treat them with fairness, dignity and respect. You have taken far longer (up to 1300 years in fact) to evolve to a level that is anywhere near your Muslim counterparts in regards to women's rights being granted.

This explains clearly why 4 out of 5 of every person who converts to Islam in the US is a woman.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:43am by Malik Shakur »  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:52am

malik - that is not what the quotes i gave from the koran say.

they say beat the woman if she is disobedient and a woman is worth 1/2 a man.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 11:14am

That does not infringe on your rights.

It doesn't have any heirachy at all. Just like Islam.

Catholicism, the biggest and oldest?

So what? Catholicism is not Christianity.

Every religious group has a leader if you break it down into small enough factions. The position of pope and of Archbishop of Canterbury have no biblical mandate. People are just as free under Christianity as they are under Islam to set up their own little group and preach whatever they want. There is no rigorous method to denouce such factions, just as there aren't in Islam. The pope has been denouncing the church of england for centuries. It achieved nothing, exactly because he has no biblical mandate to support such a denouncment. People could make the exact same argument about Christianity and point to the leaders of the factions of Islam, and pretend, through ignorance that the Catholic church, COE, Russian orthodox etc do not exist. That is what you are doing to Islam.

So, mainstream christianity has a strong and visible hierarchy

No it doesn't. It has a fractured leadership, as you just pointed out. Try counting the number of Christian groups that don't belong to the Catholic church or the COE, then get back to us.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 11:49am

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 11:14am:

Every religious group has a leader if you break it down into small enough factions. The position of pope and of Archbishop of Canterbury have no biblical mandate. People are just as free under Christianity as they are under Islam to set up their own little group and preach whatever they want. There is no rigorous method to denouce such factions, just as there aren't in Islam. The pope has been denouncing the church of england for centuries. It achieved nothing, exactly because he has no biblical mandate to support such a denouncment. People could make the exact same argument about Christianity and point to the leaders of the factions of Islam, and pretend, through ignorance that the Catholic church, COE, Russian orthodox etc do not exist. That is what you are doing to Islam.

Just one slight correction to the above. The Catholic Church does in fact claim that the Pope (as the Bishop of Rome) has primacy over all of Christendom as the successor to Peter and the church cites two passages from the new testament in support of that claim.

Matthew 16:17-19

Quote:
17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

and John 21:15-17

Quote:
15So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

16He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

17He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 11:56am

Feed my lambs, feed my sheep, feed my sheep? I don't see anything in there about the pope. I don't see anything about selecting a single person to rule the church. Maybe Peter could claim a special connection, but that's about it.

In fact, in terms of having a leader, Islam does a far better job than Christianity, in that Mohammed had a political eladership role. This is ahrdly a good thing. It is naive to expect a spiritual elader to achieve the change you want. They are just as likely to do the opposite.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:04pm

Hi helian - that quote is interesting. I have always seen it another way.

"Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

Matthew 16: 16 - 18

My thinking was the rock jesus was referring to was the knowledge the Jesus is Christ, the son of the living God.
His church was not built on Peter.
It has nothing to do with Peter, it has to do with that knowledge.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:04pm:
Hi helian - that quote is interesting. I have always seen it another way.

"Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

Matthew 16: 16 - 18

My thinking was the rock jesus was referring to was the knowledge the Jesus is Christ, the son of the living God.
His church was not built on Peter.
It has nothing to do with Peter, it has to do with that knowledge.

You are forgetting that Peter (as Simon was renamed) is Petrus (Latin for Rock) so it is most definitely Simon (henceforth known as the Rock) to whom Jesus is referring.

In verse 19 (And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.) Jesus goes further and gives 'The Rock' power to bind and loose on earth and declares that Peter's decrees will be honoured in Heaven.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:28pm

So what does this have to do with the Archbishop of Cantebury?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:48pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:28pm:
So what does this have to do with the Archbishop of Cantebury?

Nothing. The Archbishop of Canterbury was once the Catholic Primate of England. His Primacy in the UK is not recognised by the Catholic Church.

Also it is not universally accepted that Peter had primacy over the other apostles. The Orthodox Churches have always disputed the claim that the bishop of Rome has a primal role, even if they accept that he was first among equals. That is one of the great disputes that prevents the Schism of Orthodoxy from Catholicism from being resolved.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:02pm

It's a bit of a stretch to go from Peter to the Pope. It hardly gives greater legitimacy to a universal Christian leader than to an Islamic one.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:10pm

Hi Helian, yes I was aware peter meant rock.

Thanks for repeating the rest of that verse, I should have included it. It is significant. very interesting.
A few verses later on he also says
"Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

hey, what has this got to do with islam ?????
Who cares.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #30 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:17pm

Sprint, check the thread title.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:50pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:10pm:
Hi Helian, yes I was aware peter meant rock.

Thanks for repeating the rest of that verse, I should have included it. It is significant. very interesting.
A few verses later on he also says
"Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

hey, what has this got to do with islam ?????
Who cares.

So you would agree that Christian text appears to contradict itself?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:57pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 1:02pm:
It's a bit of a stretch to go from Peter to the Pope. It hardly gives greater legitimacy to a universal Christian leader than to an Islamic one.

Not really. Peter set up his mission in Rome and the Bishop of Rome is his direct spiritual descendant. The title or Pope or Father is assigned to the Bishop of Rome.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:00pm

Is there anything in the Bible about direct spiritual descendants? Is that like reincarnation? Why is the fact that Peter set up his mission in Rome relevant? Surely you don't have to move to the same town to be his reincarnation? It sounds more like empty symbolism to me.

How come Peter can have self proclaimed reincarnations, but Mohammed cannot?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:22pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:00pm:
Is there anything in the Bible about direct spiritual descendants? Is that like reincarnation? Why is the fact that Peter set up his mission in Rome relevant? Surely you don't have to move to the same town to be his reincarnation? It sounds more like empty symbolism to me.

How come Peter can have self proclaimed reincarnations, but Mohammed cannot?

It's not reincarnation. Each Bishop-to-be is ordained by the 'laying on of hands' of the Bishop in authority, thus the spiritual authority of Peter (or any one of the 12 apostles) is passed on.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:24pm

Can you point out the relevant biblical texts?

Also, I don't get why you think Islam can't have equivalent leaders, given the references to the caliphate etc.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:26pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:24pm:
Can you point out the relevant biblical texts?

Also, I don't get why you think Islam can't have equivalent leaders, given the references to the caliphate etc.

Did I say they can't?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:33pm

Sorry, that was mozz.

Anyway, can you point out the biblical references that legitimise the position of pope?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:34pm

helian - oh, there are many places where the bible appears to contradict itself !
normally on a closer check, it is sensible.

Some bits still confuse me as to what they mean, or why say/do that.
Some bits I have no iea about !! (eg, boook of revelation)

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:41pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:33pm:
Sorry, that was mozz.

Anyway, can you point out the biblical references that legitimise the position of pope?

I already have (see further back). The Pope is the direct spiritual descendant of Peter, that is the Catholic claim for the primacy of the Pope.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:46pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:34pm:
helian - oh, there are many places where the bible appears to contradict itself !
normally on a closer check, it is sensible.

Some bits still confuse me as to what they mean, or why say/do that.
Some bits I have no iea about !! (eg, boook of revelation)

Perhaps then it is possible the Koran appears to contradict itself?

How does anyone reconcile the descent of Jesus from Abraham without recognising Joseph as his natural father? (Matthew 1:16) and there are many other irreconcilable contradictions.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:01pm

You said the Pope was the direct spiritual descendant of Peter. You did not provide anything to indicate that this is a legitimate or meaningful claim to make. What if some bloke came along saying he was te direct spiritual descendant of Jesus? How would you distinguish the two claims?

In those Bible quotes, Jesus was referring to Peter, not Peter and all of his direct spiritual descendants as proclaimed by whoever puts themselves in charge of the laying on of the hands.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:17pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:01pm:
You said the Pope was the direct spiritual descendant of Peter. You did not provide anything to indicate that this is a legitimate or meaningful claim to make. What if some bloke came along saying he was te direct spiritual descendant of Jesus? How would you distinguish the two claims?

In those Bible quotes, Jesus was referring to Peter, not Peter and all of his direct spiritual descendants as proclaimed by whoever puts themselves in charge of the laying on of the hands.

In the next verse he declares that all things bound and loosed by Peter on earth are bound and loosed in Heaven. The Bishop declared by Peter to be his inheritor is bound in heaven and earth and therefore inherits his primacy upon Peter's death.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:25pm

Who was that bishop? Where in the Bible does it say that Peter bound a never ending line of direct spiritual descendants who would have his authority?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:28pm

the koran also has abrogation. ie , it is ok to change your mind, newer ideas write out older ones.
a mite unnecessary for one who was given the ideas from god or an angel or whoever.

the line from abraham is also given through marys lineage.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:42pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:25pm:
Who was that bishop? Where in the Bible does it say that Peter bound a never ending line of direct spiritual descendants who would have his authority?

Pope St. Linus (67AD-76AD)

When Peter declared his spiritual descendent he had the authority to pass on primacy. There were no exceptions to his authority - that which he bound or loosed on Earth was bound or loosed in Heaven.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:57pm

Is there anything about Linus in the Bible?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:49pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:28pm:
the koran also has abrogation. ie , it is ok to change your mind, newer ideas write out older ones.
a mite unnecessary for one who was given the ideas from god or an angel or whoever.

the line from abraham is also given through marys lineage.

The New Testament is considered by Christians to be the word of God, so if it contradicts itself, then God contradicts himself.

Descent from Abraham in Matthew is given through Joseph.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:50pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 3:57pm:
Is there anything about Linus in the Bible?

No. But if Peter passed his complete authority to Linus on earth, then according to scripture it would be recognised in Heaven.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:53pm

What other documents survive from that time? Is this something to do with the 'holy document of vatican law' and the giant spider?

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #50 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:54pm

Who gives a rat's about all that religious bull, it is all totally meaningless, and deceitful anyway.

As far as who put the pope in charge?, Who cares.
The point was they have a strict hierarchy, as do all other christian religions, apart from the most despicable US/Evangelical varieties.\

As for FD saying that not being able to send my child to public school, and not have to choose between religious indoctrination, or ostracisation, does not impinge on my rights, I reply; "F You", and "F" all religious pricks who push their  sick death cult fantasies on kids.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 6:02pm

As for FD saying that not being able to send my child to public school, and not have to choose between religious indoctrination, or ostracisation, does not impinge on my rights

That's not what I said.

The point was they have a strict hierarchy, as do all other christian religions

Ah, but they don't. There are plenty of small unaffiliated Christian groups.

Judaism is even worse. They only ten ten or twelve men to set up a new congregation, with no heirachy at all, just tradition.

I believe many 'eastern' religions have little heirachy.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:29pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:54pm:
Who gives a rat's about all that religious bull, it is all totally meaningless, and deceitful anyway.

The point was they have a strict hierarchy, as do all other christian religions, apart from the most despicable US/Evangelical varieties.\

There are many examples of churches that don't have a strict hierarchy which is why the CofE in Australia can ordain women clergy despite what other Anglican/Episcopalian Churches in other countries think about it. They can change allegiance as well.

And those despicable US/Evangelical varieties exist despite the fact the pope is in Rome just as Islamic extremist sects exist and always will despite the vast majority of Muslims being moderate. Remember its Muslims themselves who are the greatest victims of Islamic extremism.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:37pm by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #53 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 8:14pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:52am:
malik - that is not what the quotes i gave from the koran say.

they say beat the woman if she is disobedient and a woman is worth 1/2 a man.

Let's take a look again at what you posted.

The first one is actually not in the Qur'an, it is allegedly from the Series of History books written by Tabari. I have not read this book but would be surprised if that is actually what he said. From my understanding the quote is from the Farewell Sermon of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh. I have seen the farewell sermon many times and have not seen this quote in there. So I'm a bit skeptical about that quote, especially the part about comparing women to domestic animals. I think I'll wait for more evidence on that one mate.

The next one you posted was indeed a Qur'anic verse, although not complete. I did indeed provide you with a proper interpretation of the verse and in addition to that I explained it properly. I must remind you that the Qur'an was not revealed in the English and that what you are reading is simply a translation of it. A translation from Arabic to English is going to lose some of it's meaning, in addition to that it is important to search for context, something which  you have failed to do, even though I have tried to make it clear for you about the application of this verse but obviously you'd rather read it and believe what you WANT to believe of Islam and not what Islam really is. Perhaps this is why Muslims don't like talking to you about these issues.

Also you stated that women are considered to be worth half of a man, I actually didn't see the verse your referring to, can you please paste it again?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:36pm

4:11 Allah chargeth you concerning (the provision for) your children:
to the male the equivalent of the portion of two females
, and if there be women more than two, then theirs is two-thirds of the inheritance, and if there be one (only) then the half. And to each of his parents a sixth of the inheritance, if he have a son; and if he have no son and his parents are his heirs, then to his mother appertaineth the third; and if he have brethren, then to his mother appertaineth the sixth, after any legacy he may have bequeathed, or debt (hath been paid). Your parents and your children: Ye know not which of them is nearer unto you in usefulness. It is an injunction from Allah. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise.

2:228 Women who are divorced shall wait, keeping themselves apart, three (monthly) courses. And it is not lawful for them that they should conceal that which Allah hath created in their wombs if they are believers in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands would do better to take them back in that case if they desire a reconciliation. And they (women) have rights similar to those (of men) over them in kindness, and
men are a degree above them
. Allah is Mighty, Wise.

a translation tells the same story malik. beat the disobedient woman,
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:28pm by Sprintcyclist »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #55 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:51pm

Sprint that quote makes no sense at all. Did you try to translate it yourself?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:20pm

freediver - no I didn't.

Here is who is in charge of islam.
think they have misinterpereted it wrong ?
Go over and point out their errors to them.

"ISRAEL will soon disappear off the map and the "satanic power" of the United States faces destruction, Iran's President said today.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was speaking at a gathering of foreign guests marking this week's 19th anniversary of the death of Iran's late revolutionary leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, in 1989, the official IRNA news agency said.

"You should know that the criminal and terrorist Zionist regime which has 60 years of plundering, aggression and crimes in its file has reached the end of its work and will soon disappear off the geographical scene,'' he said.

Turning to the United States, he said the era of decline and destruction of its "satanic power'' had begun and added: "The bell on the countdown of the destruction of the empire of power and wealth has begun to ring.''

Opposition to Israel is a fundamental principle in Shi'ite Muslim Iran, which backs Palestinian militants opposed to peace with the Jewish state.

A 2005 statement by Ahmadinejad saying that Israel should be "wiped off the map'' outraged the international community.

In April, a senior Iranian army commander said Iran will respond to any military attack from Israel by "eliminating'' it, in comments condemned by Washington.

The United States, which severed ties with Iran shortly after its 1979 Islamic revolution, is leading efforts to isolate Tehran over its disputed nuclear program.

Some analysts have speculated that Israel might attack Iran to stop its nuclear activities, which the West fears are a front for weapons development. Iran, which does not recognise Israel, insists it wants nuclear technology only for electricity.

Iran, the world's fourth-largest oil producer, says it has developed ballistic missiles able to hit Israel and US bases in the region.

Washington says it wants a diplomatic resolution to the nuclear dispute but has not ruled out military action if that fails. Tehran insists it will not bow to Western pressure. "

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23800073-12377,00.html

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 11:24pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:20pm:
freediver - no I didn't.

Here is who is in charge of islam.
think they have misinterpereted it wrong ?
Go over and point out their errors to them.

"ISRAEL will soon disappear off the map and the "satanic power" of the United States faces destruction, Iran's President said today.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was speaking at a gathering of foreign guests marking this week's 19th anniversary of the death of Iran's late revolutionary leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, in 1989, the official IRNA news agency said.

"You should know that the criminal and terrorist Zionist regime which has 60 years of plundering, aggression and crimes in its file has reached the end of its work and will soon disappear off the geographical scene,'' he said.

Turning to the United States, he said the era of decline and destruction of its "satanic power'' had begun and added: "The bell on the countdown of the destruction of the empire of power and wealth has begun to ring.''

Opposition to Israel is a fundamental principle in Shi'ite Muslim Iran, which backs Palestinian militants opposed to peace with the Jewish state.

A 2005 statement by Ahmadinejad saying that Israel should be "wiped off the map'' outraged the international community.

In April, a senior Iranian army commander said Iran will respond to any military attack from Israel by "eliminating'' it, in comments condemned by Washington.

The United States, which severed ties with Iran shortly after its 1979 Islamic revolution, is leading efforts to isolate Tehran over its disputed nuclear program.

Some analysts have speculated that Israel might attack Iran to stop its nuclear activities, which the West fears are a front for weapons development. Iran, which does not recognise Israel, insists it wants nuclear technology only for electricity.

Iran, the world's fourth-largest oil producer, says it has developed ballistic missiles able to hit Israel and US bases in the region.

Washington says it wants a diplomatic resolution to the nuclear dispute but has not ruled out military action if that fails. Tehran insists it will not bow to Western pressure. "

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23800073-12377,00.html

Ahmadinejad is not a cleric and is not 'in charge' of Islam, but I suspect you already know that. Got any quotes from the 'Christian' Pat Robertson?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #58 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 12:15am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:36pm:
4:11 Allah chargeth you concerning (the provision for) your children:
to the male the equivalent of the portion of two females
, and if there be women more than two, then theirs is two-thirds of the inheritance, and if there be one (only) then the half. And to each of his parents a sixth of the inheritance, if he have a son; and if he have no son and his parents are his heirs, then to his mother appertaineth the third; and if he have brethren, then to his mother appertaineth the sixth, after any legacy he may have bequeathed, or debt (hath been paid). Your parents and your children: Ye know not which of them is nearer unto you in usefulness. It is an injunction from Allah. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise. 

Haha.. Yes you are absolutely right Sprint, daughters get half of the inheritance that the son's do. But do you know why that is?

It's because it is the role of the man to provide for his wife and family, the son's will need that money to pay for their weddings, buy a house for their family, provide for them etc. That portion of the inheritance is not his own, it's for him and his family. 

The daughter however, will marry a man who himself will look after her and will also inherit wealth to be able to provide for their family. She gains that inheritance from her family which even though is only half of what her brothers would receive is her property and no one else can touch it, not even her husband and he still has to provide for her.

So yes, when it comes to the inheritance, the girls get half the share that a boy would get. But that doesn't mean the girl is worth less as a human..

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:36pm:
2:228 Women who are divorced shall wait, keeping themselves apart, three (monthly) courses. And it is not lawful for them that they should conceal that which Allah hath created in their wombs if they are believers in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands would do better to take them back in that case if they desire a reconciliation. And they (women) have rights similar to those (of men) over them in kindness, and
men are a degree above them
. Allah is Mighty, Wise.

a translation tells the same story malik. beat the disobedient woman,

The verse here that you are relating to is regarding divorce and on how the man has the right to pronounce divorce, where as the if the wife isn't happy in the marriage and she wants divorce has to get the marriage annulled or divorce granted by a Judge, that is to prevent women from proclaiming divorce on every single issue due to their being more likely to give such emotional responses. We hold the issue of divorce as a very serious issue.

If you had read the next verse you'd see the reason why, because within Islam if a man pronounces divorce 2 times to his wife, in separate situations he can take her back after each of those, but after that if he pronounces divorce again a third time they cannot remarry each other. This is to prevent men from taking the matter of divorce so lightly and to stop them using it against their wives as emotional blackmail as it can cause a great deal of distress to a woman.

Women can still get divorces, it's just achieved in a different way..

Also sprint, tell me.. Are you aware of what makes up Shariah law?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 7:10am

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:53pm:
What other documents survive from that time? Is this something to do with the 'holy document of vatican law' and the giant spider?

What is the 'holy document of Vatican law' and the giant spider?

IP Logged

EscapeVelocity

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 7:59am

Hey helian, Ive noticed you and a few other familiar names on this board.

How would you characterize this board?

Best regards

chilly water

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #61 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:13am

That's not what you said, FD?

"The result, the kids who do not go to religious classes are made to feel ostracised,  with talk of going to hell, etc." (by me)

"That does not infringe on your rights."(by you)

I guess one of us is losing more than his patience.

Catholicism - 1.2 billion
Protestantism - 692 million
Eastern Orthodoxy - 260 million
Oriental Orthodoxy - 79 million
Anglicanism - 77 million
Nontrinitarianism - 31 million
Nestorianism - 1 million

I think anyone with basic maths skills can see from these numbers that the vast majority of christians do belong to groups who maintain a strict hierarchy.

Your contention of the vast numbers of the non-aligned christians just does not add up.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:45am

malik - thanks for agreeiing that there is sexism in the koran against women.

What a life a muslim woman has.
Then after they die, they get to be sex slaves for terrorists.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #63 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:53am

Back on topic!

Now with the Bali bombers, we had a local guy(Bashir)who preached killing non-muslims as their duty.
He was in charge, and we saw the results.
If their was some sort of hierarchy where someone could say, "hey we have this wacko out in the boondocks inciting youths to murder in the name of Allah, let's send someone in to replace him, before something bad happens"

That is my issue, susceptible people are open to manipulation by extremists, with no system to address their right to be preaching their hate under the broad umbrella of Islam.
It is out of control.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:19am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:13am:

"The result, the kids who do not go to religious classes are made to feel ostracised,  with talk of going to hell, etc." (by me)

"That does not infringe on your rights."(by you)

I guess one of us is losing more than his patience.

Catholicism - 1.2 billion
Protestantism - 692 million
Eastern Orthodoxy - 260 million
Oriental Orthodoxy - 79 million
Anglicanism - 77 million
Nontrinitarianism - 31 million
Nestorianism - 1 million

I think anyone with basic maths skills can see from these numbers that the vast majority of christians do belong to groups who maintain a strict hierarchy.

Your contention of the vast numbers of the non-aligned christians just does not add up.

This is not even close to an exhaustive list of Christian denominations. Also Protestantism does not speak with one voice, it is an umbrella term that defines distinct Christian groups that broke with the Catholic Church. Newly formed Christian denominations are not considered protestant as they are not protesting against Rome.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #65 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:37am

Really Helian.
To ignore the numbers is the issue.
The vast, vast, overwhelmingly vast, majority of christians, do belong to churches with strict hierarchies.

The groups I listed had numerous sub-groups, look here if you want to see who belongs where, and if any significant christian group was left out.
I doubt it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #66 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:08am

mozzaok - bashir says what many other muslims say.
What is in the koran.

I'ld wish other nonmurderouos muslims point out where murderous ones, if that is the case.
To date, they don't.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #67 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:27am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:37am:
Really Helian.
To ignore the numbers is the issue.
The vast, vast, overwhelmingly vast, majority of christians, do belong to churches with strict hierarchies.

The groups I listed had numerous sub-groups, look here if you want to see who belongs where, and if any significant christian group was left out.
I doubt it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

Every group has leadership, that's true, as it is with Islam. But they do not speak with one voice. They often disagree with one another (in some cases vehemently).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #68 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:54am

That was not my contention.

Correct. When you quoted me, that's what I said. When you misquoted me, that wasn't what I said.

with no system to address their right to be preaching their hate

There is also no such system under Christianity (at least not to any greater extent than Islam), only under secular laws. The fact that you can list major Christian groups but cannot do the same for Islam only demonstrates your ignorance of Islam and is not some kind of evidence that Christianity is inherently heirachical, or more to the point, that Islam isn't. You have also failed to justify your assumption that heirachy is beneficial. You are assuming that the heirachy will have traits you support, yet you don't support religion at all.

What is the 'holy document of Vatican law' and the giant spider?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Catholic_Love
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 12:01pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #69 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:14pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:08am:
mozzaok - bashir says what many other muslims say.
What is in the koran.

I'ld wish other nonmurderouos muslims point out where murderous ones, if that is the case.
To date, they don't.

How are those Pat Robertson quotes going?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #70 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:16pm

Mozz

What makes you think you'll feel safer with Islam under a restored Caliphate (a single voice of authority) ? Christianity and Islam were both at their most potent (and arrogant) when they were (largely) monolithic.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:37pm by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #71 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:32pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:53pm:

Every Christian denomination has created its own legalistic framework using scripture to justify its politics or structure. What would be the point of having faith in the truth of a metaphysical text if you cannot apply it to a socio-political constitution?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:42pm

That question was in the context of St Linus the Pope. It's odd that he isn't mentioned in the Bible, yet there must be some other document from the time saying he was the first pope.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #73 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:41pm

freediver wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:42pm:
That question was in the context of St Linus the Pope. It's odd that he isn't mentioned in the Bible, yet there must be some other document from the time saying he was the first pope.

I think there's enough that can be sourced on the history of Linus and his (possible) mention in Paul's second letter to Timothy.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #74 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 7:57pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:45am:
malik - thanks for agreeiing that there is sexism in the koran against women.

What a life a muslim woman has.
Then after they die, they get to be sex slaves for terrorists.

It is not sexist at all. There are particular reasons for it which are completely justifiable.

Compare that to the West where previously, under English Common Law all of a woman's inheritance that she gained was given to her husband as soon as she got married to him. Don't forget that in Arabia prior to Islam coming women had no right to inheritance at all.

In fact, let's look at Biblical Law and make a comparison between that and Qur'anic Law now shall we?

As we know, Moses pbuh was the prophet who brought the main laws down for the Believers. So Let's take a look at a particular situation during Moses' pbuh time, This is the story of Zelophehad’s daughters. Zelophehad had 5 daughters, their name's were Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah and Tirza.. Zelophehad didn't have any sons. Prior to Moses pbuh coming with God's laws, women were not allowed to own anything let alone have a share in any inheritance.

The daughters went to Moses pbuh and said "Our father died in the desert. He was not among Korah's followers, who banded together against the LORD, but he died for his own sin and left no sons.  Why should our father's name disappear from his clan because he had no son? Give us property among our father's relatives."(Numbers 27:4).

So Moses took this case before the Lord gbtH and the Lord gbtH said to Moses pbuh "What Zelophehad's daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father's relatives and turn their father's inheritance over to them."

He went further to say,
"Say to the Israelites, 'If a man dies and leaves NO son, turn his inheritance over to his daughter. If he has no daughter, give his inheritance to his brothers. If he has no brothers, give his inheritance to his father's brothers. If his father had no brothers, give his inheritance to the nearest relative in his clan, that he may possess it. This is to be a legal requirement for the Israelites, as the LORD commanded Moses.' " (Numbers 27:7-11)

It was only then that women were granted the right to inherit, but that is ONLY on the condition that the father had NO sons. If there are sons then the daughters share is a big fat ZERO.

Now we must remember that Jesus pbuh came onto the scene he stated "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Matthew 5:17-18)

So that means that the laws of Moses pbuh were not changed, and still stand.

Thus if we use your own logic, the bible states considers daughters/women to be worth absolutely nothing, unless of course there are no sons in their family.

That sounds rather primitive to me and DEFINITELY sexist.

BTW, women are not sex slaves in heaven, like men they receive anything that they want and are showered with blessings. What you are referring to are the Hourain, or Heavenly maidens, they actually are not women who have lived in this life. God created them as a reward in paradise.

And terrorists and suicide bombers do not go to Paradise, they go to hell.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #75 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:46pm

malik - fyi

The old test is for jews.
The new test is for christians.
There is no christian country.
There are capitalist democracys, apart from in any islamic country.

Jesus did not abolish the law, he fulfilled it.
Christian are no longer held by it, as it is repaid. It is fulfilled.
There was a debt, it is repaid.
Look at what Jesus did with women , his actions with them are the most touching in the Bible, imho.

I'm surprised you would say something Jesus said was "primitive and sexist", given your earlier comments of support and that weird word - "pbuh" after saying mohammad or jesus.

Again, thank you for coming here.  I hope you continue here.
I do appreciate your input and fully support your right of speech.
Which would not happen to a jew/christian in an islamic country.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #76 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:49pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:41pm:
I think there's enough that can be sourced on the history of Linus and his (possible) mention in Paul's second letter to Timothy.

Can you give an example?

Sprint, I think it means peace be upon him, not poobah or something like that.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #77 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:54pm

how insulting, fancy saying pbuh instead of peace be upon him !!!!!!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:58pm

Sprint, like it or not, you have made yourself a bit of an ambassador for Christianity on these boards. How do you think this reflects on Christianity?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #79 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:03pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:46pm:
I'm surprised you would say something Jesus said was "primitive and sexist", given your earlier comments of support and that weird word - "pbuh" after saying mohammad or jesus.

Again, thank you for coming here.  I hope you continue here.

Insult them, then thank them for coming here... You're acting like a screwball. Yes, FD pbuh does mean 'peace be upon him' and it is a sign of respect Sprint... Respect for different faiths is the way towards reconciliation not half-pissed rants against another faith's holy book.

Jews, Christians and Muslims have lived peacefully for centuries in many parts of the world including the Middle East.

Here's what we should be working towards

Quote:
Damascus (ENI). Atop the historic Omayyad Mosque in Damascus is the Jesus minaret which honours the founder of Christianity. Inside the great mosque is the Shrine of St John the Baptist. It is a small, beautiful jewel of a church which is said to contain the head of St John who is revered by both Islam and Christianity.

I recently visited the mosque with a Syrian Christian friend. As we knelt in prayer before the Shrine of St John, trying to get a sense of the religious history of that ancient holy place, I noticed several men wearing sunglasses who were also kneeling in prayer next to the shrine.

"These are blind sheikhs," my friend told me quietly. "They offer blessings to children and people with special needs." Indeed, as I watched, I noticed several children kneeling around one of the sheikhs and receiving his blessing.

How remarkable, I thought: here is a Christian shrine inside a mosque with a minaret honouring Jesus, and Muslim holy men have chosen this small church as a place of healing to offer their blessings to children and sick people. The next day I asked Sheikh Salah Kuftaro of the Abou Al Nour Mosque in Damascus about this remarkable co-incidence of Islam and Christianity. As the son of the late Grand Mufti of Syria, Sheikh Ahmad Kuftaro, he is one of the key spiritual leaders of Syria. He and his staff gave a warm welcome.

"St John the Baptist is one of the prophets of God whom we venerate," said Sheikh Kuftaro. "If a woman is not feeling well she will ask God, through the sanctity of St John, that she be cured. Women who are childless seek the help of God so that they can conceive and have children." Through the nearly hour-long discussion Sheikh Kuftaro emphasised the close relationship between Christianity and Islam in Syria both in theology and in practice. "Religiously, we are an ideal society in Syria," he said. "We Christians and Muslims live as one family."

That relationship was demonstrated by the friendship between Sheikh Kuftaro and Mahat Farah El-Khoury, my Syrian Christian friend who had arranged the interview with the Sheikh and accompanied me to the meeting. They were old friends who had worked together for many years. They comfortably exchanged jokes between my serious questions.

Close friendships between Christian Arabs and Muslims are common in the Middle East. How much better it would be, I thought, if Christians in the West knew at least one Muslim as a personal friend, rather than getting their impression of Islam from the distorted images they receive from television.

Sheikh Kuftaro said the Canadian ambassador had visited his late father, the Grand Mufti of Syria. The ambassador asked how many Christians there were in Syria. The Grand Mufti replied that there were 17 million. The diplomat thought that perhaps there had been a problem with the translation since 17 million is roughly the total number of people in Syria, and Christians are only a minority. The Grand Mufti repeated that there were 17 million Christians in Syria "and I am a Christian. I have to be a genuine Christian," he explained, "in order for me to be an accepted Muslim." There is an "urgency" to have interreligious dialogue, Sheikh Kuftaro believes, and he and his foundation are reaching out to have dialogue with the West. "This is our duty," he said, "we have to work, to act and to meet so that we can know each other. We are all passengers on the same boat, this planet, which God ordered us to take care of."

Mahat Farah El-Khoury said: "Christians and Muslims have more in common than we have differences." She worked for the Middle East Council of Churches for many years and she has a deep knowledge of the spiritual life of her Muslim neighbours. "Every morning I wake up to the chanting of muezzin calling people to prayer from the minarets, followed by the sound of church bells and hymns."

In a lifetime of work building understanding between Christians and Muslims, Khoury has won many honours, including a medal from Pope John Paul II and state honours in France and Poland. Her work advocating for peace and justice has taken her to Europe and America and everywhere she goes, she talks about the cooperation between religions in Syria. During a recent trip to North America as part of a Mennonite Central Committee Peace Storytelling Tour, she reminded Christians they need to do more than just talk about Jesus; they need to advocate for policies that support peace and justice for all peoples in the Middle East....

The full article http://www.eni.ch/articles/display.shtml?05-0596

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #80 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:07pm

freediver wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:58pm:
Sprint, like it or not, you have made yourself a bit of an ambassador for Christianity on these boards. How do you think this reflects on Christianity?

Ambassador? Diplomacy is the mark of an Ambassador... even a bit of an Ambassador.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:22pm

helian - where was my insult ?

is it an insult to question the koran?
it is ok to question the bible and laugh at me.

An ambassador of christianity !! thanks guys.
I hope I show that christians are flawed and err.
That'ld be perfect.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #82 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:28pm

helian - you want me to "accept" muslims.
sure, soon as every nonmuslim person can do whatever they want in every muslim country and the koran does not demand world domination and to make war on nonmuslims.

Till then, I'll quote the koran.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #83 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:33pm

malik - fyi

The old test is for jews.
The new test is for christians.
There is no christian country.
There are capitalist democracys, apart from in any islamic country.

The Vatican is a Christian country guided by Christian laws. There is no proper Islamic State at the moment.

Jesus did not abolish the law, he fulfilled it.
Christian are no longer held by it, as it is repaid. It is fulfilled.
There was a debt, it is repaid.
Look at what Jesus did with women , his actions with them are the most touching in the Bible, imho.

Jesus pbuh had never changed the laws of Moses. Thus the law that states that daughters get no share of the inheritance unless there are no sons. That IS Christian law, unless of course you can show me a Christian law stating otherwise?

Do not forget that you believe that Jesus pbuh is God gbtH, God TOLD Moses pbuh that daughters don't get an inheritance from her father unless there is no sons in the family, Thus you are saying that at one stage God was sexist. But then God changed His mind and somehow according to you and changed the laws  (which would be fine, because God gbtH can change whichever laws He wants with times. But you see that doesn't make sense in this particular case considering that the verse I pasted showed that Jesus pbuh said he WASN'T there to change the laws of Moses pbuh. I don't believe that he would have lied about that.)

I'm not stating that Jesus pbuh was primitive or sexist at all. I believe there are reasons for such laws, and in fact It proves that Islam is the finality and perfection of God's message for us. I gave you a complete explanation as to why a daughter receives half of the inheritance that a man does. Let's go over it again.

According to Islam, it is my responsibility as a man to provide the financial source to my wife, kids, parents (when they get old), and my sisters (if they become widows).  And if I refuse to support my widow sister for instance, then if she decides to take me to court and sue me, and prove that I make enough money to be able to support my wife, kids and my widow sister, then the court will force me to pay her money every month to support her.   This law in Islam is called the law of "Nafaqa".

The woman according to islam does not have to provide a single dollar, nor her husband has the right to ask her or force her to use her money to support her husband and kids.  In fact, just to show you how fair and respectful Islam is to women, a woman even has the right to ask her husband for money for breast feeding her their child.  

Furthermore, according to the Islamic laws, the husband does not have the right to force his wife to work if she doesn't want to.  It is the man's primary responsibility to support his family financially, and not the woman.  Also, in Islam, the wife has all the right to ask her husband to pay for her education if she wishes to go to school.  Women in Islam have the right to be educated, and it is their parents' responsibilities (if the women are single), or their husband's responsibility to pay for their education.

It is you who believes that such a law is sexist.. I simply used your own prejudiced logic and reasoning abilities to show you that if we apply the same standards of testing to the Bible it shows that the Bible is far more sexist than the Qur'an. Thus the fact is that it is YOU who is saying the Bible and Jesus pbuh are sexist.

Again, thank you for coming here.  I hope you continue here.

LOL there are no Islamic State's at the moment so you don't know what would happen. Historically it's been proven that Jews and Christians under a proper Islamic State get far better treatment than those Muslims and Jews in Christian

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #84 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:41pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:22pm:
helian - where was my insult ?

is it an insult to question the koran?
it is ok to question the bible and laugh at me.

An ambassador of christianity !! thanks guys.
I hope I show that christians are flawed and err.
That'ld be perfect.

"given your earlier comments of support and that weird word - "pbuh"'

how insulting, fancy saying pbuh instead of peace be upon him !!!!!!!

That is how Muslims show respect for their prophets (pbuh)... it's a bit like St for Saint.

Your remarks above says more about what you're really on about. You're not just questioning Islam. You want to denigrate Islam.

You pretend to be interested in understanding Koranic text but really you're just a hate filled ranter who hasn't got the balls to just come out with it.

How are you going with Pat Robertson quotes?
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:47pm by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #85 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:45pm

malik - i've alreay answered your queries.

answer me, who wrote the  koran?
Who put pencil to papyrus for it ?
it was not mohammad, he was illiterate.
did it just materalise out of the air ??

Who penned it ??

If you don't know that, ..............

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #86 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:48pm

God did not write the koran. Not as he wrote the ten commandments.
According to the koran, an angel (at times) gave the idea to mohammad.

Is that right malik?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #87 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:50pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:45pm:
malik - i've alreay answered your queries.

answer me, who wrote the  koran?
Who put pencil to papyrus for it ?
it was not mohammad, he was illiterate.
did it just materalise out of the air ??

Who penned it ??

If you don't know that, ..............

You're a hate filled ranter Sprint. Have the balls to call it.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #88 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:55pm

thanks helain,
you've always disliked me.
it does not bug me. I love you.

just answer the question. Is that the muslim line ?

sure ok to grill us xians, not pc to query muslims though

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #89 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:05am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:55pm:
thanks helain,
you've always disliked me.
it does not bug me. I love you.

just answer the question. Is that the muslim line ?

sure ok to grill us xians, not pc to query muslims though

Sprint, no doubt you could discuss Islam with thousands of Muslims if you were genuine about what you're trying to achieve. But you're not and, Muslim or not, we can see it for what it is. Hectoring a Muslim with Who wrote the Koran... c'mon, c'mon who wrote the Koran is an indication that you might be slightly unhinged. When you discuss matters of faith you must respect that you are discussing faith - there can be little or no criteria for falsification, you take it on faith or you walk away. No Muslim here yet has monstered you about proving the divinity of Jesus yet you demand of them proofs about matters of faith or badger them to explain Koranic verse which you then reject.

Let's see you prove your 'Christian love' by showing respect... and a bit of honesty about what you're really trying to do.

What did you think of the article I posted here above?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #90 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:15am

yes sure helian.
Which article was that one ?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:19am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:15am:
yes sure helian.
Which article was that one ?

http://www.eni.ch/articles/display.shtml?05-0596

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:27am

thanks helian. good on them

Hope you are sitting down.
When i was getting divorced I asked a muslim work associate to pray for me. he was surprised.
In honesty, I would not do that now.
because of the response i get when i query them and what i have learnt since then.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #93 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:47am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:27am:

When i was getting divorced I asked a muslim work associate to pray for me. he was surprised.
because of the response i get when i query them and what i have learnt since then.

Isn't being Christian also about holding out against the temptation to hate? Isn't true compassion about learning to love those you could more easily despise?

No one likes being bashed over the head with feverishly read and only partly understood verses from their holy books. I would not expect a Muslim to whizz through the bible underlining the crappy bits, then looking for Christian victims on which to pour their scorn and if he did I would expect him to be dismissed as a nutter. I bet if you went looking for moderate Muslims to honestly discuss their faith, they would be more than happy to show you that Islam is not about bombs and death but a code for living a decent life as is Christianity.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:54am

helian -
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "
Matthew 5:13

my meeting with a "moderate" at a library put your theory to rest.
I have asked for a long time for a muslim to come here and had no takers.
I have been to muslim rooms and been banned.

they are moderate, till you query them.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #95 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:18am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:27am:

No doubt hardship brings us closer to God, and having modesty and humility brings us very close to God.

If only we remembered those lessons when life got better instead of changing for the worst eh?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #96 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:27am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:54am:
helian -
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "

First of all. You don't query people Sprint.. You insult their beliefs and ask questions in an accusitive way. When a Muslim gives you the facts you ignore that and continue berating them with the same questions over and over until they react as any human would and leave or get angry with you. Then you go on and say they were extremists and not moderate.. It is a typical tactic I have come across many times, you are responsible for your own behavior and the way people react to you is a product of your treatment of them. No doubt it is obvious here why you even got divorced in the first place, I find it amazing anyone could put up with you when you have so much arrogance and pride and no humility or respect for anyone's opinion but your own. You constantly say you appreciate having a Muslim here but you actually don't.. The arrogance and hate you have are very evident and speak for themselves to show you to be fake. You exposed yourself.

The prophet Muhammad pbuh once said "even a mustard seed's worth of pride would prevent one from going to paradise"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #97 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:29am

malik - has God ever spoken to you?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #98 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:48am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:29am:

you could say that.. I have had some truly amazing experiences with the Creator Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #99 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:51am

Malik - that's great. Smiley

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #100 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:55am

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:48am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:29am:

you could say that.. I have had some truly amazing experiences with the Creator Smiley

Call your imaginary friend Donald Duck, and the men in white coats haul you away, call him God, and you expect respect.
Go figure.

Please tell me Malik, why we do not see huge protests from Muslims, against the violent jerks who give you all a bad name?

They have no trouble getting together to protest for self interest, but n ot for the general good it seems.

A cartoon can inspire them to mass protest and violence on a global scale, but to deliver a message of peace and tolerance they cannot muster a girl scout meeting.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #101 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:15am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:54am:
helian -

I've spoken to Christians (fundamentalists / Evangelists / Pentecostals) who seem quite ordinary until they discuss their Christian beliefs. It's then you realise the depth of their contempt for all those who aren't 'right with God' and the rigidity with which they interpret Christian text. Don't talk to them about the NT contradictions they all have their own justifications for them which are about as inane as the contradiction itself.  However, as I don't practice any religion, I've avoided religious debate with the 'fundys' where I can and found that works fine.  The 'Christians' go back to being ordinary and life goes on. I have never discussed Islam other than the basics with Muslims and don't intend to.

You can't debate people's faith away... It's faith. It's what you believe without the need for proof despite the contradictions et al.

Is anyone moderate about what they feel passionate about? The question is how to constrain that immoderation against a drift towards dogmatism and violence.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:16pm

helian - I have heard that comment too.  Prob find it as .... elitist/smug/arrogant as you do

Try this one for them.
"thought Jesus says to not judge others, or you will be judged by the same measure ?"
Or " what is that quote, (acting innocently), something about "you hyprocrites are removing a speck of dust from your brothers eye, when yours has a whole plank in it !!

Or "It says you will be judged by what you have been given. So if someone was born in saudi, they will prob be a muslim.
On that basis, unjust to "punish" them for being a muslim.
Likewise, what about an infant that dies of starvation at 4 weeks old.
Going to "punish" the infant for not being a xian ???"

Good luck !!!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #103 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:16pm:
helian - I have heard that comment too.  Prob find it as .... elitist/smug/arrogant as you do

Try this one for them.
"thought Jesus says to not judge others, or you will be judged by the same measure ?"
Or " what is that quote, (acting innocently), something about "you hyprocrites are removing a speck of dust from your brothers eye, when yours has a whole plank in it !!

Or "It says you will be judged by what you have been given. So if someone was born in saudi, they will prob be a muslim.
On that basis, unjust to "punish" them for being a muslim.
Likewise, what about an infant that dies of starvation at 4 weeks old.
Going to "punish" the infant for not being a xian ???"

Good luck !!!

I mostly avoid seriously debating matters of faith because faith is not up for serious debate. There is little or no criteria for falsification. I cannot prove to a Christian that Jesus is not divine to his/her satisfaction because he/she will not give me any criteria by which he/she will accept that Jesus is not divine. A Christian simply believes that it is so and that is that. The same is true of Islam. The Prophet received the Koran from God via the angel Gabriel (so I'm told) and that is that. You either believe it or you don't.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #104 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Falsification is not the only way to approach a debate. It's not all about truth. Beauty is just as important. Politics would be very boring if we only concerned ourselves only with the positive and ignored the normative.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #105 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:49pm

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:48pm:
Falsification is not the only way to approach a debate. It's not all about truth. Beauty is just as important.

Is there an argument for beauty in non divinity?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #106 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 5:52pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:55am:
Call your imaginary friend Donald Duck, and the men in white coats haul you away, call him God, and you expect respect.
Go figure.

Please tell me Malik, why we do not see huge protests from Muslims, against the violent jerks who give you all a bad name?

They have no trouble getting together to protest for self interest, but n ot for the general good it seems.

A cartoon can inspire them to mass protest and violence on a global scale, but to deliver a message of peace and tolerance they cannot muster a girl scout meeting.

Uhhh Mozzaok, you know that Sprint claims to have conversations with God in which he gets answers. I know that you know he says that but you still don't give him a hard time.

Furthermore we HAVE on MANY occaisions protested against terrorism. On top of that it is not only rhetoric that we speak, the fact is that it is only because of the Muslim community that any person who has been going to commit terrorism has been arrested because we deal directly with ASIO, the state police and the Federal Police. We simply don't want terrorists in our community, we don't want them in Australia and we understand the consequences on the Muslim community if an attack does happen here.

We just want to live our lives here in peace and be treated as any other citizen. We shouldn't have to constantly have our loyalties questioned and be treated like terrorists.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #107 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 5:57pm

Sure helian, you can make it up as you go along. Tell us all how atheism has made your life complete.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #108 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 5:59pm

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 5:57pm:
Sure helian, you can make it up as you go along. Tell us all how atheism has made your life complete.

Who says I'm an atheist?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #109 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:01pm

I just did. Feel free to correct me if you want. Or just take it as an example and ignore the personal aspect.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #110 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:02pm

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:01pm:
I just did. Feel free to correct me if you want. Or just take it as an example and ignore the personal aspect.

Can I call you French?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #111 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:18pm

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:01pm:

OK. You are corrected. What should I take as an example?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #112 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Self fulfillment through atheism as an example of beauty through non-divinity.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #113 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:54pm

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 6:24pm:
Self fulfillment through atheism as an example of beauty through non-divinity.

The old man lay down

Though he knew the dark
in the sun

at the zenith

of a day,

Yet he remembered well what Dylan taught

Do not go gentle into that good night,
       Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
       Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
       Because their words had forked no lightning they
       Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
       Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
       And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
       Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
       Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:03pm by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #114 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:50pm

helian - excellent poem.

Few are as good.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #115 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:07pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:50pm:
helian - excellent poem.

Few are as good.

Yeah, a poem that is eerie in its fierce urgency of Now... this moment.
One that warns against regret and living an unfulfilled life and the agony of realising too late how we should have lived. It reminds me of a Bukowski poem...

Oh Yes

there are worse things than
being alone
but it often takes decades
to realize this
and most often
when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than

too late.