Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'Beheading' poet wins conviction appeal (Read 10357 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

'Beheading' poet wins conviction appeal
Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:00am

How soft of the Brits. They should change their laws.
It's obviously a war.

"'Beheading' poet wins conviction appeal : Print From correspondents in London
June 18, 2008 02:05am

A BRITISH woman who called herself the "lyrical terrorist" and wrote a poem about beheading a hostage, has won an appeal against a criminal conviction in London.

Samina Malik, 23, had been convicted last year of possessing documents useful to terrorists and was given a nine-month suspended sentence.

A former employee at a newspaper kiosk at Heathrow airport, she had written poetry which prosecutors said advocated violent extremism, and also downloaded Islamist literature from the Internet.

One of her poems, How to behead, was read out in court during her trial.

It contained a description in detail of how to slice off a hostage's head.

Her conviction spurred controversy, with human rights groups arguing she had been convicted of a "thought crime'' without having actually done anything dangerous.

The Court of Appeal today threw out her conviction under a ruling from February that concluded documents need to actually be helpful to a terrorist, rather than merely encouraging terrorism, for possession to count as a crime.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it would not seek a retrial after Malik's successful appeal.

"Since Ms Malik's conviction, the law has been clarified by the Court of Appeal. The result is that some of the 21 documents we relied on in Ms Malik's trial would no longer be held capable of giving practical assistance to terrorists,'' CPS head Sue Hemming said in a statement.

"However other documents in her possession, including The al-Qaeda Manual, The Terrorist's Handbook, The Mujahideen Poisons Handbook and several military manuals, clearly retain that potential. We therefore have no doubt that it was right to bring this prosecution,'' she said.

"Ms Malik was not prosecuted for her poetry. She was prosecuted for possessing documents that could provide practical assistance to terrorists,'' she said.

Ms Hemming also said Malik had provided information on airport security at Heathrow to a man who later pleaded guilty to a terrorism offence.

The Islamic Human Rights Commission said it welcomed Malik's court victory.

"This confirms our concerns over the anti-terror laws and (their) interpretation and implementation,'' said the commission's chairman Massoud Shadjareh. "

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23882674-954,00.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: 'Beheading' poet wins conviction appeal
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:17am

If wishing people harm worked, we would have no problems with over population.

I have to agree with the courts, that ruling on what people think is beyond the purview of any western court.

So her appeal win on those grounds makes sense, however, the passing of info on to terrorists is another matter entirely, and the article does not say what happened to that conviction.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2008 at 12:12pm by mozzaok »  

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:10am

It sounds like it was all part of one conviction, and the whole lot was thrown out. They are not going to seek a retrial either.

You have to be very careful with this kind of law. A chemistry book, or a car maintenance manual, or a map would also be helpful to terrorists.

Some earlier posts about this case, from the ISLAM thread:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1179362615

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2008 at 1:31pm by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Muslim poet jailed
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:01am

'Lyrical Terrorist' found guilty
November 9, 2007 - 6:05AM

Lyrical terrorist ... Samina Malik.
A 23-year-old woman who called herself the Lyrical Terrorist and penned poems with titles including How To Behead was convicted under terrorism legislation at a London court today.

Samina Malik, who worked in a newsagent at London's Heathrow airport, was a "committed Islamic extremist who supports terrorism and terrorists", prosecutor Jonathan Sharp told the Central Criminal Court.

Malik, from Southall, west London, denied being a terrorist and said she used the nickname because she thought it was "cool".

She was convicted of possessing records likely to be useful in terrorism and bailed ahead of sentencing on December 6.

Judge Peter Beaumont warned her she could face jail, adding: "You have been in many respects a complete enigma to me."

When police searched Malik's bedroom after arresting her last October, they found a document in which she said she wanted "the opportunity to take part in the blessed, sacred duty of jihad", prosecutors said.

"I always sit alone to think and ponder how it would be to unite with the Muslim ummah (community) and to go shoot rocket-launchers, help them load their ammunition, nurse the wounded, and what the atmosphere would be like," she added.

Her poem How To Behead contained the line: "It's not as messy or as hard as some may think/It's all about the flow of the wrist."

Officers found documents on her computer entitled How To Win In Hand To Hand Combat, How To Make Bombs and Sniper Manual, the court heard.

On an internet social networking site called Hi-5, she described her favourite television shows as "watching videos by my Muslim brothers in Iraq, yep the beheading ones, watching videos by Osama bin Laden ... and other videos which show massacres of the kaffirs (infidels)".

AFP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/lyrical-terrorist-found-guilty/2007/11/09/1194329447647.html

the muslim community should be made ot pay for the expenses we incur  due to their violence

IP Logged

boxingkangaroo

Re: Muslim poet jailed
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 2:33pm

fruitcake weirdo

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 2:37pm

thanks kangaroo   Smiley

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 3:41am

ha ha, serves the slutt right!

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 4:57pm

yes, it is very just.
Inciting murder is a crime.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 1:44pm

While I find her poems utterly distasteful and completely irresponsible I don't think she was inciting murder at alls. She wasn't calling for people to go and kill innocent people, but instead explained how to do the act.

I've seen lots of rap music which has included similar things about shooting cops and other gangsters, and that wasn't inciting murder either.

Inciting murder according to the law is where one encourages others to murder. Her poems, while completely irresponsible and definitely disgusting did not amount to incitement of murder.

That is why she wasn't convicted of incitement. Now in regards to owning military manuals and other manuals of poisons and bomb making, I certainly don't see how that could amount to a terrorist act. Amazon.com sells many books of this nature 'for educational purposes only' and have done so for many years. If however they could prove that she had the INTENT of using such materials for terrorism then that's another story. They couldn't and that is why the appeal was successful.

Many people who buy such manuals from amazon.com buy it because they are interested in the topic, I don't see a problem with that.. Because owning a book on something doesn't amount to actually having the intent to use that knowledge to kill innocent people.

In addition to that she looked at beheading videos online. While that is disgusting, it certainly isn't illegal. That is why they are freely available at places like www.liveleak.com etc.

Again, I don't support her poems, nor her behavior but I certainly don't think it amounts to the charges laid and am not surprised the appeal was successful.

On another funny note, I have seen a few instances recently where some bikies were caught with explosives, they were charged with weapons offenses only, that makes me wonder if a Muslim was caught with such explosives whether they would be charged with terrorism offenses?

I guess we need to define, what is terrorism?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:24pm

That's a good question, malik.

What is terrorism ?

How does it differentiate from other violent illegal acts?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:21am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:24pm:
That's a good question, malik.

What is terrorism ?

How does it differentiate from other violent illegal acts?

That is too a very good question Sprint. One would think that any unjust murder would bring terror into the hearts of the innocent.

How do you think we should define it?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:35am

The goals of some violent illegal acts are wildly different for the goals of other violent illegal acts.

They are motivated by differing sources, have different end goals and aim to effect society differently.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 1:36am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:35am:
The goals of some violent illegal acts are wildly different for the goals of other violent illegal acts.

They are motivated by differing sources, have different end goals and aim to effect society differently.

Please elaborate?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 1:45am

No.

You asked the question initially.
You continue.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 3:36am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 22nd, 2008 at 1:45am:
No.

You asked the question initially.
You continue.

Well you are the one saying that different sources motivate terrorism and that they have different goals.

What sources and goals are they?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print