Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
'West failed in Iran nuclear crisis' (Read 3972 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

'West failed in Iran nuclear crisis'
Jun 20th, 2008 at 3:58pm

Another militant extremist islamic leader of a muslim country that has nothing at all to do with muslims per sec.

"PRESIDENT Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said today the West has failed to break Iran's will in the nuclear standoff, days after world powers presented Tehran with a new offer aimed at ending the crisis.

"In the nuclear issue, the bullying powers have used up all their capabilities but could not break the will of the Iranian nation," President Ahmadinejad said.

World powers - Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States - have offered Tehran a new package of technological and economic incentives in exchange for suspending uranium enrichment activities.

The West fears the process might be used to make an atomic bomb although Iran insists it only wants to generate nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

President Ahmadinejad's comments were his first statement on the nuclear crisis since the offer was presented but it was not clear if they represented a reaction to the proposal.

The Iranian Government spokesman has already said Tehran would reject any offer demanding it suspends uranium enrichment.

The UN nuclear watchdog has been investigating Iran's nuclear drive for over five years but has never been able to conclude whether the program is peaceful.

Iran has said it is examining the package but has so far showed no indication that it will change its defiant course in its nuclear drive.

Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency Ali Asghar Soltanieh ruled out  that the country could freeze enrichment, saying: "Iran will never submit to such an illegal act."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23891491-5003402,00.html

how many of these vitriolic freedom hating islamic leaders are there ???
Oh, that have no indication of islam at all of course.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: 'West failed in Iran nuclear crisis'
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 2:00pm

Haha we are so hypocritical.. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply in these circumstances.

Iran has EVERY right to develop and enrich uranium. They are a party to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty, giving them the right to develop and enrich uranium for non-Military purposes. They have not been proven to be developing nuclear weapons and should be left alone. They need nuclear power because it's cleaner and they have many power shortages in Iran due to the sanctions. The West simply doesn't want the Iranians to be self sufficient.

Iran has NEVER used Weapons of Mass Destruction, even during the Iran-Iraq war, when Saddam was launching shells and rockets filled with US supplied chemical weapons at Iranian cities the Iranians STILL didn't use WMD's in retaliation.

Israel however has a nuclear weapons program and more than 200 nuclear warheads but hasn't been questioned once over them.. The hypocrisy here is unbelievable.

And you wonder why people in the Middle East don't trust Western Governments?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 2:01pm

Haha we are so hypocritical.. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply in these circumstances.

Iran has EVERY right to develop and enrich uranium. They are a party to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty, giving them the right to develop and enrich uranium for non-Military purposes. They have not been proven to be developing nuclear weapons and should be left alone.

Iran has NEVER used Weapons of Mass Destruction, even during the Iran-Iraq war, when Saddam was launching shells and rockets filled with US supplied chemical weapons at Iranian cities the Iranians STILL didn't use WMD's in retaliation.

Israel however has a nuclear weapons program and more than 200 nuclear warheads but hasn't been questioned once over them.. The hypocrisy here is unbelievable.

And you wonder why people in the Middle East don't trust Western Governments?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 4:00pm

They have not been proven to be developing nuclear weapons and should be left alone.

I think that, according to the treaty, it's pretty much guilty until proven innocent. At least in the sense that you have to allow inspectors into your facilities.

when Saddam was launching shells and rockets filled with US supplied chemical weapons

What sort of chemical weapons?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 4:54pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 4:00pm:
They have not been proven to be developing nuclear weapons and should be left alone.

I think that, according to the treaty, it's pretty much guilty until proven innocent. At least in the sense that you have to allow inspectors into your facilities.

when Saddam was launching shells and rockets filled with US supplied chemical weapons

What sort of chemical weapons?

Sarin, Mustard Gas and Tabun..

Iran has complied with the IAEA in every way, and the IAEA has acknowledged that, yet still the West wishes to place sanctions on Iran.

It's hypocrisy because everyone knows Israel has a nuclear weapons program but the IAEA nor the UN Security Council has asked for weapons inspections.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 6:41pm

Yes, Israel is a tough one. We would have to offer them military support (even more than we already do) to get them to give up their nukes. I guess it should be done though, as it only encourages the Saddams of the middle east to get their own.

I think India and Pakistan may have their own as well. That's another arms race we will have trouble diffusing.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 6:47pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 6:41pm:
Yes, Israel is a tough one. We would have to offer them military support (even more than we already do) to get them to give up their nukes. I guess it should be done though, as it only encourages the Saddams of the middle east to get their own.

I think India and Pakistan may have their own as well. That's another arms race we will have trouble diffusing.

It's just hypocritical and takes away any credibility of the UN.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 7:09pm

Everyone is attacking the UN's credibility, either for not doing enough or doing too much. If we want an international body with real teeth, we first need to lay a democratic foundation for it.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 7:49pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 7:09pm:
Everyone is attacking the UN's credibility, either for not doing enough or doing too much. If we want an international body with real teeth, we first need to lay a democratic foundation for it.

I think it needs serious reform, it harms the sovereignty of nations and is completely unfair when it comes to the UN Security Council.

It should be a place for nations to discuss their problems, not an organization which is run by the few to keep their status quo

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 8:38pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 6:41pm:

You've got rocks in your head if you think Israel will surrender its nuclear arsenal. Only 3 Arab states are formally at peace with Israel, the rest are still technically at war.

A nuclear armed Iran is not only a problem for the West but also for the Arab states. They too would not tolerate an Iran with nuclear weapons. The shift in the balance of power in the middle east in  favour of Iran would have unknown (and very likely negative) consequences. I believe there is more complicity with the US against Iran from the Arab states than is reported or widely known.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 10:56pm

The pres of iran is an extremist militant hothead.
He has often said he wanrts to wipe israel from the face of the earth .

I would not give him or his kind a litre of fuel given his vitriolic speeches

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:42pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 10:56pm:
The pres of iran is an extremist militant hothead.
He has often said he wanrts to wipe israel from the face of the earth .

I would not give him or his kind a litre of fuel given his vitriolic speeches

No, he said that Israel will disappear off of the pages of time, that Israel will collapse in on itself because of it's policies in a similar fashion to the Soviet Union. It was not a threat at all. The only time that Iran has threatened Israel is if Israel launches any attacks on Iran, if that happens then Iran already has more than 500 warheads pointed at Israel.

Ahmadinejad has called many times for the Palestinians to have a referendum to decide what happens next, if it so happens that the Palestinians are happy with a two state solution then that is fine with Iran, if not then Iran supports them resisting the occupation. The Palestinians are the ones who should make that decision, and while I personally believe that a two state solution is the most beneficial for Islam and the region it's certainly not my choice.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:59pm

"Ahmadinejad sparked widespread international condemnation in October when he called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Last week, he also expressed doubt about the killing by the Nazis of six million Jews during World War II, but Wednesday was the first occasion when he said in public that the Holocaust was a myth."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/14/iran.israel/

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:02am

I don't know what is worse.

Someone like him honestly saying stuff like that, or someone like you covering up for him.

Why do "moderates" not take a concerted worldwide public stand against extremists?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:15am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:59pm:
"Ahmadinejad sparked widespread international condemnation in October when he called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Last week, he also expressed doubt about the killing by the Nazis of six million Jews during World War II, but Wednesday was the first occasion when he said in public that the Holocaust was a myth."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/14/iran.israel/

Are you calling me a liar?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print