Send Topic Print
Polygamy (Read 54154 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Polygamy
Reply #90 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:51am

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 12:19am:
I agree with you, but the Niqaab or Burkha aren't an Islamic obligation on women. The prophet pbuh said that believing woman should cover everything except their face and hands.. Not everything except a slit for their eyes. That is a tribal type of tradition that has been promoted to suppress women. The prime users of this are people like the Salafi's and Wahabi's.. Their quite ignorant to what Islam actually promotes.

It's interesting how some of these traditions can become part of a religion. I remember having a conversation with a very enlightened Muslim at an airport in Africa. He was having a beer with me. He told me (and I haven't been able to verify this) that alcohol is not actually prohibited in the Qur'an, although many Muslims I have met say that it is not Halal (حلال) He said something to the effect that you should not be so intoxicated as not to recognize your own mother.

I never checked that reference.

مسو

(excuse me for playing with Arabic characters)

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #91 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:07am

muso wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:51am:
It's interesting how some of these traditions can become part of a religion. I remember having a conversation with a very enlightened Muslim at an airport in Africa. He was having a beer with me. He told me (and I haven't been able to verify this) that alcohol is not actually prohibited in the Qur'an, although many Muslims I have met say that it is not Halal (حلال) He said something to the effect that you should not be so intoxicated as not to recognize your own mother.

I never checked that reference.

مسو

(excuse me for playing with Arabic characters)

The prohibition for alcohol was handed down in several stages because the arabs loved drinking and gambling.

2:219
They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit. And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does Allah make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:37pm

Some of the 'basis' for legalising polygamy in Australia seems to stem from protection against 'corrupt western values'. ie. engaging in pre-marital sex, or affairs. Some of the argument for polygamy in Australia unfairly assumes that all men are adulterous. Is this presumption just convenient for men who are themselves trying to legalise the practice in accordance to their religion? If I was a western man I would be annoyed at the presumption I am going to cheat on my wife – not all men do; this is just a Muslim man’s (the Sheik’s) way of trying to justify his stupid behaviour.  

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:39pm

How does any one take the call for polygamy seriously when the section in the sacred text (Qu’ran) polygamy is taken from states
‘If you fear you will not deal fairly with orphan girls, (In pre-Islamic Arabia guardians often married orphan girls to acquire their property) you may marry whichever other women seem good to you, two three, or four. If you fear that you cannot be equitable to them then marry only one, or your slave(s): that is more likely to make you avoid bias.’
If it wasn’t so ridiculous I would laugh.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:46pm by MW »  

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:39pm

Also, this is a sexist practice, whereby Islamic polygamy promotes Polygyny (the practice of a man marrying more than one woman), but Polyandry (the practice of a woman marrying more than one man) is Haraam (forbidden). If one form of polygamy is forbidden, perhaps it is time to abolish the entire practice.

Must we allow Nikah mut‘ah (temporary marriage, often for sexual gratification) too?
Lastly, how do you call such a marriage a consensual marriage between two adults when it stems from a society that endorses arranged marriage?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #95 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:51pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:39pm:
How does any one take the call for polygamy seriously when the section in the sacred text (Qu’ran) polygamy is taken from states
‘If you fear you will not deal fairly with orphan girls, (In pre-Islamic Arabia guardians often married orphan girls to acquire their property) you may marry whichever other women seem good to you, two three, or four. If you fear that you cannot be equitable to them then marry only one, or your slave(s): that is more likely to make you avoid bias.’
If it wasn’t so ridiculous I would laugh.

Which translation of the Qur'an is that?

Do you understand what the verse states?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #96 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:58pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:39pm:
Also, this is a sexist practice, whereby Islamic polygamy promotes Polygyny (the practice of a man marrying more than one woman), but Polyandry (the practice of a woman marrying more than one man) is Haraam (forbidden). If one form of polygamy is forbidden, perhaps it is time to abolish the entire practice.

Must we allow Nikah mut‘ah (temporary marriage, often for sexual gratification) too?
Lastly, how do you call such a marriage a consensual marriage between two adults when it stems from a society that endorses arranged marriage?

Islam doesn't permit polyandry, firstly it is not for the woman to go and provide for men, so if she married several men they would just be bringing money in for her.

Islam also doesn't allow forcible arranged marriages.

Furthermore, what is your problem with Nikah Mutah?

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:59pm

That is the Oxford translation (as translated by a Muslim scholar); and is that a trick question, because apparently the Qu'ran can't be interpreted so I would hestitate to interpret; however if you would like to explain what you think it means go ahead. Smiley

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #98 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:13pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:59pm:
That is the Oxford translation (as translated by a Muslim scholar); and is that a trick question, because apparently the Qu'ran can't be interpreted so I would hestitate to interpret; however if you would like to explain what you think it means go ahead. Smiley

I'll use the Yusuf Ali translation, I'll also post the previous two verses.
[b]
So you wont actually try and interpret it, but you will call it ridiculous?

Classy...

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #99 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:21pm

According to the key tenets of the Qu'ran it is to be taken literally and not interpreted (which is one of the reasons i claimed it is ridiculous)...

but if you would like another angle to argue from, explain to me why it is ok for the 'prophet' mohammed to marry a nine year old girl? Under Muslim religion, what is the age of consent? In Australia kids under the age of 16 are considered that - unable to consent.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #100 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:34pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:21pm:
According to the key tenants of the Qu'ran it is to be taken literally and not interpreted (which is one of the reasons i claimed it is ridiculous)...

but if you would like another angle to argue from, explain to me why it is ok for the 'prophet' mohammed to marry a nine year old girl? Under Muslim religion, what is the age of consent? In Australia kids under the age of 16 are considered that - unable to consent.

Which tenet of the Qur'an is that?

Interpretation comes into reading comprehension in addition to understanding the context behind the verses.

You're a bit late for this topic, the evidence in this case leads to Aisha actually being between about 15-20 at the time of the consummation of her marriage to the prophet Muhammad pbuh.

Read this one here regarding it. http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1213756394/81#81

Furthermore, what we do know for a fact is that Aisha had already started menstruating at the time of her consummation to Muhammad pbuh.

Marriageable age starts from when menstruation begins. This was also acceptable to both Christian and Jewish law.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #101 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:55pm

I am afraid that you have a credibility issue here Malik.

You so often resort to replying how people need guidance on how to interpret the Koran.
Then you also report how we must be careful about whose interpretation we believe.

Aisha's wedding and bedding by Mohammed, was always reported as occurring when she was between 6 and 9 years old.
Muslim revisionists, due to obvious reasons, saw it as more appropriate to have the age changed to 12.

Now you are saying 15 to 20.

What is it, an auction? Do I hear 21, 21, 21, 22, 25, 30, oops, sorry too old, bring in the next child.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:56pm

Milak...

WAS accepted in Christian and Jewish religion… was not meaning is…
I am not asking about other religions, I am asking about Islam.
Note the word CONSUMATION...
he married her when she was just 9 years old, and the article you claim is the be all and end all of this argument is just one of the possible scenario's in a debate that has no conclusion. 
However, documentation saying he married her at age 9 has been more consistent. Needless to say, if she had of said no to his advances (even at that age) he could divorce her. Saying he didn't consummate the marriage only suggests an attempt at excusing a man marrying a little girl. p.s. Having said that my question was about marrying her in the first place, not whether they copulated.  I asked about marriage, not consummation.
Quoting from one forum doesn't render your argument valid; there cannot be irrefutable conclusions as to someone’s age at the time they lost their virginity when it happened around 2000 years ago; even within the field of anthropology.

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:58pm

As for the time of menstruation being the time a child becomes a 'woman' that is ludicrous. Some children start menstruation at the age of ten or under and it has nothing to do with becoming an adult. Rather, it is as a result of individual genetics and, increasingly, environmental factors.
According to your argument, if a female never menstruates, then is she not a woman?

Neurologically, the brain has to go through stages (which include reasoning and problem solving skills) of development to reach maturity (adulthood, womanhood etc). I would argue that this is more likely a much more relevant indicator of adulthood, whereby they can make decisions for themselves. Before this stage children do not have the physical nor mental capability to understand the implications of their decision. Here is an article from TIME Magazine if you are interested:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040510-631970,00.html    
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:56pm by MW »  

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #104 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:21pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:56pm:
Milak...

WAS accepted in Christian and Jewish religion… was not meaning is…
I am not asking about other religions, I am asking about Islam.
Note the word CONSUMATION...
he married her when she was just 9 years old, and the article you claim is the be all and end all of this argument is just one of the possible scenario's in a debate that has no conclusion.  
However, documentation saying he married her at age 9 has been more consistent. Needless to say, if she had of said no to his advances (even at that age) he could divorce her. Saying he didn't consummate the marriage only suggests an attempt at excusing a man marrying a little girl. p.s. Having said that my question was about marrying her in the first place, not whether they copulated.  I asked about marriage, not consummation.
Quoting from one forum doesn't render your argument valid; there cannot be irrefutable conclusions as to someone’s age at the time they lost their virginity when it happened around 2000 years ago; even within the field of anthropology.

Well even the age of marriage is not to be proven. There are hadith that claim she was married to him at 6 and consummated the marriage at 9, others state she was older. I don't trust those hadith because in my personal opinion and many others they were tampered with by the Umayyad's.

Judging by the evidence that's available from corresponding dates of the events that took place around them and the ages of other people, it leads me to believe the consummation didn't take place until the ages of 15-20, I would not be surprised if she had been engaged to him earlier, but she didn't move into his house until then. Thus their marriage hadn't really taken place until that age. What tends to happen at the 'engagement' is they sign the wedding papers. That is not uncommon at all, but the wedding doesn't take place for some time, depending on their preferences. Certainly not before the girl has started menstruating. That ceremony is called Katib Kitab.

It's not uncommon today for people in Yemen to get married as early as 10-12 years old. But that doesn't mean they have sex with their wives or husbands, it just means that is the time when they really get to know each other, it's sort of an apprenticeship that they go through to know how to act in marriage. This has been documented by many anthropologists, see Yemen Chronicle: Anthropology of War and Mediation by Steven C. Caton, it mentions it in there.

So it all goes by what you consider the beginning of marriage to be? I'd suggest not to go by what the Western standards are because they weren't from the West.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Send Topic Print