Polygamy (Read 54165 times)
Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Polygamy
Reply #105 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:34pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:58pm:
As for the time of menstruation being the time a child becomes a 'woman' that is ludicrous. Some children start menstruation at the age of ten or under and it has nothing to do with becoming an adult. Rather, it is as a result of individual genetics and, increasingly, environmental factors.
According to your argument, if a female never menstruates, then is she not a woman?

Neurologically, the brain has to go through stages (which include reasoning and problem solving skills) of development to reach maturity (adulthood, womanhood etc). I would argue that this is more likely a much more relevant indicator of adulthood, whereby they can make decisions for themselves. Before this stage children do not have the physical nor mental capability to understand the implications of their decision. Here is an article from TIME Magazine if you are interested:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040510-631970,00.html    

No, the time when a girl is considered a woman is the age of menstruation. That is simply because she is now physically capable of bearing children. That is how it has been defined for thousands of years. It's only been within the last 2 hundred years or so that we have introduced the concept of adolescence etc.

I might also add that Mary pbuh was 12 years old when God made her pregnant. Are you saying that God made someone pregnant who wasn't ready for it? Surely such a thing would be unjust would it not?

I might also add that in some states of the US you can get married at the age of 14 with your parents permission.

The fact remains that while yes we do go through more neurological development at that time, it doesn't limit us from being an adult. We are just young adults who are still learning. Even according to the article you posted it says:

Quote:
Giedd says the best estimate for when the brain is truly mature is 25, the age at which you can rent a car.

Should we all be considered minors until our brain has fully developed at the age of 25? That would be highly illogical because the path to adulthood and maturity is through experience. If you have good guidance during that time period and can learn from mistakes, hopefully you will be getting help making the right decisions from those arounde you, but you will still make stupid decisions and mistakes. That's what growing up is.

Your ideas are unrealistic MW.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #106 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:44pm

malik - where is the quote saying marys age ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #107 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:59pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:44pm:
malik - where is the quote saying marys age ?

the catholic encyclopedia quotes the apocraphyc writings as saying she was between 12-14 years old and that joseph was 90, peace be upon them.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #108 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:52pm

malik - yes, there is some thoughts of that. How surprising !!

Mind you, she wasn't married off to by her relatives to some misognist warmongering old man and then shagged by him.
Just as Mohammedan girls are married off to, today.

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:17pm by Sprintcyclist »  

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #109 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:01pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:52pm:
malik - yes, there is some thoughts of that. How surprising !!

Mind you, she wasn't married off to by her relatives to some misognist warmongering old man and then shagged by him.
Just as Mohammedan girls are married off to, today.

"There was an old prophet called Mo
Whose libido had started to go
So he gave it a whirl with a nine year old girl
And she floated his boat, quick quick slow."

She was married off to him and he would sleep with her after the birth of Christ pbut. There's no doubt about that.

Sprint it's clear you're a bigot.. VERY CLEAR

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #110 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:10pm

Come on guys, give it a break, vilifying your imaginary friends is not helping you know.

To think I was just defending your decency sprint, and you post something like that, intentionally intending to offend malik, you are better than that, malik pretty much believes all the Islamic stuff, so you can't pretend he would not find that poem offensive, and he has the decency to stay here, as a lone voice to try and put a more human face on Islam, we should try to be respectful as much as possible.

Both of you guys are better than needing to resort to swapping insults.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #111 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:16pm

Bigot - hhmmm, not been called that one for a while !!
Often sexist or racist, but not a bigot !!
Thanks, another feather in my cap.

I don't follow Joseph or Mary. Only Jesus.
btw, Joseph seemed a pretty ok sort of guy to me.
He did not try to imopse a new idea onto anyone by violence, nor assassainate others.

90 years old you reckon ?? I doubt he could get it up.
Perhaps it was more a marriage to give mary some social dignity when she was pregnant ?
An unwed pregnant woman/girl would be unfavourably looked upon I would think.

Come on malik, you can pull out MUCH better invective against me than that !
That's limp

There you go Mozzaok, I deleted the ditty.
You're a tough but fair poster.

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:21pm

haha you don't even listen, do you?

Your way of arguing is to just go 'well someone else is doing it, so why are Muslims so bad.'

Once again, I am not asking about other religions, i'm asking about Islam. Your argument doesn't stand up when you bring in other religion's to justify behaviour.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest  she was more than a year older than stated. As far as I have read, she was married at 6, and raped at 9 (by Mohammed).

As far as not saying anything about 'Western Values' in this whole debate goes, the original topic was about polygamy in Australia...
A WESTERN COUNTRY..
I now see why so many people have told Muslims like you to
go find yourself a country which is ok with that (oh wait, that place doesn't exist, you're all fighting)...

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:29pm

Malik is distorting something I used as a guide to show that if the teenage brain is not mature, how can we expect a nine year old brain to be even close?
Yes, help/guidance from those around youis important when you are a child, not marriage to a paedophile.

Malik said: 'That is how it has been defined for thousands of years. It's only been within the last 2 hundred years or so that we have introduced the concept of adolescence etc.'

That is because science has advanced in the last 200 years and we are now able to look at things more critically.  
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:41pm by MW »  

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #114 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:42pm

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:21pm:
haha you don't even listen, do you?

Your way of arguing is to just go 'well someone else is doing it, so why are Muslims so bad.'

Once again, I am not asking about other religions, i'm asking about Islam. Your argument doesn't stand up when you bring in other religion's to justify behaviour.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest  she was more than a year older than stated. As far as I have read, she was married at 6, and raped at 9 (by Mohammed).

As far as not saying anything about 'Western Values' in this whole debate goes, the original topic was about polygamy in Australia...
A WESTERN COUNTRY..
I now see why so many people have told Muslims like you to
go find yourself a country which is ok with that (oh wait, that place doesn't exist, you're all fighting)...

I mentioned other religions because of the simple fact that Islam is not unique to this, there are many Jews who marry their children off as soon as they hit puberty, same with Christian examples (that of Mary pbuh) and hindus and other religions do the same.

You are also very arrogant to state that because you have not seen the evidence I've mentioned, that it must not exist. Perhaps you need to go and learn some more.

Furthermore, feel free to answer this question I posted earlier:

Quote:
I might ask you what happens when women outnumber men in society? Are those women who don't have a husband supposed to just go through their life being alone? No one to love, care for her, look after her, provide for her? Are you going to deny her the right to have those things?

In addition to that, I don't see how people having more than one wife should affect you, if the wives are okay with it why does it bother you? It's ok to cheat on your wife here and sleep with another woman. Giving the other woman no rights at all and committing the worst possible breach of trust on your wife, but as soon as someone wants to marry another wife with the permission of their first and give the new wife the rights that a wife has (the right to be looked after, clothing, accomodation and food provided for, children taken care of, you have a problem with it. To me that seems to be objectifying women and treating them like a possession or object that doesn't deserve rights.

The only problem I have with polygeny in a country like this, as with any situation is people taking advantage of the welfare system to not work yet still have two wives and expect the government to take care of them.

I personally think we need to overhaul the welfare system even without polygeny to prevent people from taking advantage of it.

IP Logged

D

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:48pm

Lets have a little perspective here:

In Australia and any other decent country sex with a minor is a felony crime called statutory rape. This is to protect our children, to allow them to develop mentally, morally, physically and emotionally; away from the pressures of politics and sleaze.

Does this mean Australia is perfect. No. It means there are laws and processes in place to promote a safe environment for all. This is regardless of race and religion.

Malik. The responses in this forum are not actually anti-islam; they are simply parts of Islam that are unacceptable in society; regardless of if it is Islam, Hindu, Christian, or Jedi.

The central idea of Australia is that we are all equal. Males and Females can choose the life they wish to live within the bounds of our laws and ideals that promote a safe environment for all.

IP Logged

MW

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:03am

read back over what i said... I in no way endorsed cheating, so that part of your argument is out the window  Smiley

Why do you assume all women need a husband? Is it possible that if women in the Islamic community took part in both public and private sectors they would not be 'alone'? Maybe the population differential has naturally happened that way for this reason even?

soo... should each man only have 1.25 wives each then?  UndecidedThat would make the wife ratio about equal for everyone, however if each man has four wives each that just swings the balance the other way.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #117 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:09am

MW wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:29pm:
Malik is distorting something I used as a guide to show that if the teenage brain is not mature, how can we expect a nine year old brain to be even close?
Yes, help/guidance from those around youis important when you are a child, not marriage to a paedophile.

Malik said: 'That is how it has been defined for thousands of years. It's only been within the last 2 hundred years or so that we have introduced the concept of adolescence etc.'

That is because science has advanced in the last 200 years and we are now able to look at things more critically.  

No my point was very valid. The article states that the mind is not mature until roughly the age of 25. That means that prior to that, the people aren't able to properly comprehend the consequences of their actions. Yet we let them drive, drink, join the army, get married etc before that time.

Why?

The fact remains that even though the mind has still not matured, it is a process that requires people to learn from life. That is why I said they need people around them that can provide good examples and guidance to show them the right path to go down to keep them safe from harming themselves, but the fact remains that the people still have the RIGHT to do that harm to themselves.

So clearly waiting until 25 is out of the question? When do we wait until? Well these days in the West I certainly agree that marrying at 14 years old is not right, because we don't raise kids like we used to. We don't teach boys to be men nor girls to be women, instead we let them try and find all of that out for themselves which takes a greater amount of time. In addition to that, we tend to treat them like they are children and expect them to supress any natural feelings they have until the age of 18 (or 16). Unless of course you are in certain states of the US where you can marry at 14.

You become a woman physically when you go through puberty and start menstruating. Barbara Richardson wrote an article in the American Journal of Epidemiology where she states that the earlier a woman's breasts become "fully developed" through pregnancy and lactation, the less susceptible her cells are to damage that can result in cancerous growths. Making them less likely to get breast cancer.

So there are many benefits to having children young, the problem is that these we don't raise our youth with the tools necessary to be ready for marriage at that age, nor do we actually help them with those tools when they are older. We just expect them to find out for themselves.

IP Logged

D

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:09am

Now Malik I am greatly offended by your comment. How can you call yourself an Australian when you clearly do not understand the Ideals of this country.

It is not acceptable to cheat on your partner in Australia. Hence the word used is cheat, outside of the laws, outside of the rules, wrong. As you are well aware in all countries and religions people choose to ignore the rules and guidelines meant to protect and promote a safe environment.

As to your comment and the topic of this forum. Polygamy.
It is not wanted nor required in this country.
Both partners have the rights under law regardless of if they are married; Custody, Child Support. remind me again of why females rights need protecting by a man having multiple wives?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #119 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:13am

MW wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:03am:
read back over what i said... I in no way endorsed cheating, so that part of your argument is out the window  Smiley

Why do you assume all women need a husband? Is it possible that if women in the Islamic community took part in both public and private sectors they would not be 'alone'? Maybe the population differential has naturally happened that way for this reason even?

soo... should each man only have 1.25 wives each then?  UndecidedThat would make the wife ratio about equal for everyone, however if each man has four wives each that just swings the balance the other way.

So would you make cheating illegal? I have no problem with polygeny being illegal in this country but find it hypocritical that we don't criminalize cheating in this country too.

Women aren't obligated to marry at all in Islam. But it's their choice. I was referring to the situation that DOES occur, where there are more women that WANT to get married and not enough men to marry them.

What happens in that situation? When they have no one to love her, care for her, look after her, provide for her? Are you going to deny her the right to have those things?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Send Topic Print