Send Topic Print
Polygamy (Read 54162 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Polygamy
Reply #135 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 2:06pm

D wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:45am:
Females in this country do not need to rely on a male for money. 

Good point, although many prefer to (especially older women) At the same time, I would feel uncomfortable living in a relationship where my wife works and I stay at home. It's probably a cultural thing, but if you ask most men in Australia, they'd say the same.

I'll probably accused of being a total sexist now, but women are more talented at raising kids than men.  They are also more talented at tasks involving language, although there is a lot of variation there.  We might be equal in terms of human rights etc, but we're not the same Smiley
(Good job too)

However everybody has the right to choose how they live, within reason and the limits of the law.

I don't think traditional role models should be part of law. People are all different, and they should be allowed to express themselves.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #136 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 2:28pm

It seems rather odd to me that the same people who constantly champion freedom of the individual and the right to conduct your own private relationships in the fashion you choose are sometimes the same people who seek to prevent things like polygamy from being legal.

They'll campaign for gay marriages, they'll probably even be campaigning for the right to marry animals in the not too distant future and they probably have no qualm with people living in 3 or 4 way relationships, but if a Muslim (or Christian or Jew, some of them DO practise polygamy too) wants to make that relationship legally binding and formal, all of a sudden personal freedom isn't worth zip.

And for any Christians who oppose polygamy, go and read your Bible, you'll be hard pressed to find a prophet who wasn't polygamous. And nowhere was it ever prevented in the New Testament, which would indicate it still stands as a valid and legal practise.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #137 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 3:17pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 2:28pm:
It seems rather odd to me that the same people who constantly champion freedom of the individual and the right to conduct your own private relationships in the fashion you choose are sometimes the same people who seek to prevent things like polygamy from being legal.

They'll campaign for gay marriages, they'll probably even be campaigning for the right to marry animals in the not too distant future and they probably have no qualm with people living in 3 or 4 way relationships, but if a Muslim (or Christian or Jew, some of them DO practise polygamy too) wants to make that relationship legally binding and formal, all of a sudden personal freedom isn't worth zip.

That's an interesting point. Why is polygamy in itself so abhorrent when everything else is a matter of personal choice which must be protected?

Not too sure about animal marriage though!! Although Spain's parliament has decided to extend some human rights to include great apes!

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #138 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 4:00pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 3:17pm:
That's an interesting point. Why is polygamy in itself so abhorrent when everything else is a matter of personal choice which must be protected?

- because formal marriage is a vestige from Australia's largely Christian past. It's a legislative fossil from a religious past in a secular society. It's also one of the last sacred cows. The point is that those people choosing to live in defacto relationships are now in the majority. Marriage is dying out, but the establishment of marriage is defended, mainly by Christians against corrupting influences. If it wasn't for the religion aspect, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Personally I don't see the problem with allowing polygamy. We'd solve the Child Care crisis pretty quickly if there were more polygamous relationships (although it would probably put babysitters out of business).

It already exists in one form in Iceland where a form of 'serial polygamy' is almost the norm.  Iceland is also apparently the 'happiest place on Earth' according to a recent survey. After a divorce, everybody stays friends and multi-parent families are common. It sounds typically laid back and Scandinavian - a bit like the Sweden of the 1980's that I remember.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/18/iceland
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2008 at 4:07pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #139 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 4:18pm

muso wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 2:06pm:
D wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:45am:
Females in this country do not need to rely on a male for money.  

Good point, although many prefer to (especially older women) At the same time, I would feel uncomfortable living in a relationship where my wife works and I stay at home. It's probably a cultural thing, but if you ask most men in Australia, they'd say the same.

I'll probably accused of being a total sexist now, but women are more talented at raising kids than men.  They are also more talented at tasks involving language, although there is a lot of variation there.  We might be equal in terms of human rights etc, but we're not the same Smiley
(Good job too)

However everybody has the right to choose how they live, within reason and the limits of the law.

I don't think traditional role models should be part of law. People are all different, and they should be allowed to express themselves.

That's not sexist at all friend, it's true. Women build a closer bond to the children then the men do for one particular reason amongst many others. They carry the baby in their womb for 9 months and then give birth to it.

The baby can essentially control what the mother eats, drinks and does.. That is how close they are.

Men and women are different, we are equal in rights but have different attributes.

This is the beauty of God's creation.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #140 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 4:20pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 2:28pm:

And for any Christians who oppose polygamy, go and read your Bible, you'll be hard pressed to find a prophet who wasn't polygamous. And nowhere was it ever prevented in the New Testament, which would indicate it still stands as a valid and legal practise.

Assalaamu Alaikum Abu Rashid, Ahlan wa Sahlan to the ozpolitic forums.

Great post.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #141 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 6:37pm

muso,

Quote:
because formal marriage is a vestige from Australia's largely Christian past. It's a legislative fossil from a religious past in a secular society. It's also one of the last sacred cows

I'm not so sure that explanation can fully account for the opposition to polygamy that seems quite strong amongst Australian society. People appear to be objecting to it more on the grounds that they do not want to alter their laws to suit people who are perceived as outsiders or alien (nevermind that Muslims have been in this country since before European settlement and were heavily involved in that settlement).

Malik Shakur,

wa alaykum assalaam akhi ahlan beek.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #142 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 6:55pm

[abu_rashid wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
(nevermind that Muslims have been in this country since before European settlement and were heavily involved in that settlement).

Can you prove it?

Even if Muslims did get here before white settlement (no I am not white either), what the hell does that matter?

Did they colonise Australia? No.

Was Australia set up under Muslim law and doctrine? No, it was set up to mimic the way of life in England, with Australia in fact coming directly under English law.

What point are you trying to make? Muslims had no input in to early Australian settlement by Europeans. How were they heavily involved? Do we ever hear about early settlers going to the Mosque to pray?

I don't think so.

I've seen the argument here (or maybe elsewhere, I'm not going searching, though I feel it was here) about Muslim men needing another wife to satisfy their urges, or getting married temporarily to satisfy their urges.

If that is the case, and they still love their wives, why not opt for an open marriage if mutually acceptable by both parties? Open relationships are not at all uncommon these days.

Australia does not need polygamy. Australia does not need to make any laws to suit any religion.

The argument about rights for gays does not come in to play here at all. Being gay is a biological drive, and something people have no choice in what so ever, according to recent scientific study. Giving them equal rights in regards to relationship status and tax benefits is not being swayed by a particular minority group to have their own way, it is recognising that they are people who deserve to be treated fairly and not discriminated against.

Introducing polygamy to appease the Muslim community is not something I support, nor would it be the case for introducing polygamy for the Mormon community.

It goes against our traditional ethos and way of life as being Australian.

Multiculturalism is destroying Australia. It has been proven not to work. We need just the Australian culture. Some cultures just do not mix, and encouraging multiculturalism is detrimental to a nations identity. Be happy you live in a country where you are free to worship whatever God you like, in public, without government sanctioned oppression.

I for one cannot understand why any sane man would want TWO women nagging him day and night, unless Muslim women are every mans dream.

Or maybe it is just that they are conditioned by their culture to be subservient and passive.

Oh and don't give me that bullshit about not understanding Muslim culture.

As a Catholic, I was once engaged to a Muslim girl. I'm not getting in to that though.

Adopt the Australian culture, accept we have a good thing going here, or piss off. Nobody wants our country to start mimicking the standards you see in Middle Eastern countries.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #143 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:01pm

Mohammed and his contemporaries may have had great difficulty in controlling their urges, to force themselves sexually upon any woman who they saw with anything more than than their face and hands exposed, but they must have been highly sexually dysfunctional, to think that way, we in the modern world do not think like that, try and catch up. Islamic attitudes towards women has definitely not kept pace with the advances in rights and respect, that western women enjoy.

Muslim calls for polygamy are just a further example of how womens' rights always seem to be subordinate to men's, in the Islamic culture.

To even pretend that it is some act of charity, rather than some ego driven anachronistic throwback to the good old days of raping and pillaging, and gathering your 'Prizes' along the way, is stretching credibility to breaking point.

So for me at least, I have to admit to having grave concerns for a female, brought up under strict Islamic surroundings, having the real ability to make a free and informed consent, to be the second, third, fourth, or whatever wheel, on a cart strictly under the control of men, and only men.

Raised to be subservient, and compliant, since birth, accepting of abuses that western women would never tolerate, I have real concerns about the purportedly pure motives of the polygamous males, and whether or not the women ever truly believe they have an 'EQUAL' choice in the matter.

I would also be very interested to see statistics on the average ages of subsequent wives, we know egocentric males have a propensity for desiring fresh young flesh, I doubt that the muslim fairy tale of taking in the poor lonely old women, is represented statistically.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #144 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:40pm

Quote:
nevermind that Muslims have been in this country since before European settlement and were heavily involved in that settlement.

abu.....you have a very serious credibility problem. You say that Muslims have been in Australia before European settlement, and that they were heavily involved in that settlement.

Utter crap, and that will forever reflect on what you say here, and unless the currently credible Malik also trashes your stupid claims, it will also reflect on his position.

Was Captain Cook a Muslim?  Flinders?  Magellin?  Vasco de Gama.  That French dude who raced Flinders?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:51pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #145 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:05pm

easel,

Quote:
Can you prove it?

Yes there is plenty of evidence in far north queensland and NT of early Muslim arrivals. Don't forget, the largest Muslim nation in the world is only a hop, skip and a jump from northern tips of Australia. Indonesian fishing boats used to travel quite frequently to Australia.

Quote:
Even if Muslims did get here before white settlement (no I am not white either), what the hell does that matter?

My point was that the general view that Muslims are alien and have no history in this country is wrong.

Quote:
Did they colonise Australia? No.

Muslims do not believe in colonialism, that's why we didn't colonise it. Doesn't mean we don't believe in expansion of the state, we just don't agree with the colonialist method of doing it.

Quote:
What point are you trying to make? Muslims had no input in to early Australian settlement by Europeans.

Obviously you don't know much about early colonial history in Australia. Why is the trans-Australian train called the 'Ghan? Who travelled with Burke and Wills on their epic journey from the south to the north of Australia? And on many of the other early explorer's journeys? The first Mosques in Australia were established around the same time as the first churches. Muslims worked hard and sacrificed their lives to build this country, we have as much of a right to be involved in formulating the emerging Australian cultural identity as anyone else, if not more.

A plaque outside one of Australia's earliest colonial period mosques.

Quote:
I've seen the argument here (or maybe elsewhere, I'm not going searching, though I feel it was here) about Muslim men needing another wife to satisfy their urges, or getting married temporarily to satisfy their urges

The reasons 'why' are completely irrelevant. The fact is. some Muslim men choose to have more than one wife. And since Australia is a 'free and democratic' country, that safeguards and values the freedom of individuals there's no reason why it shouldn't be allowed by law. Unless freedom is only relevant when it suits certain groups of Australians?

Quote:
Adopt the Australian culture, accept we have a good thing going here, or piss off.

My family has been here for well over 150 years in most lines of ascent, if anyone will be 'pissing off' it won't be me mate, it'll be you.

So you think when newcomers arrive they should not contribute anything whatsoever to the Australian identity, instead they should shed their own ideas, beliefs and cultures and just adopt those of the existing Australian community?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:18pm by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #146 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:07pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:40pm:
Quote:
nevermind that Muslims have been in this country since before European settlement and were heavily involved in that settlement.

abu.....you have a very serious credibility problem. You say that Muslims have been in Australia before European settlement, and that they were heavily involved in that settlement.

Utter crap, and that will forever reflect on what you say here, and unless the currently credible Malik also trashes your stupid claims, it will also reflect on his position.

Was Captain Cook a Muslim?  Flinders?  Magellin?  Vasco de Gama.  That French dude who raced Flinders?

Why would you doubt that Muslims had visited Australia prior to the Europeans? You have the largest population of Muslims in one nation just to the north of Australia who were engaged in heavy trade. In fact they came across Islam from traders that came from Yemen and India. From there, Macassan trepengers from south west Sulewesi did come and trade here and had a good relationship with Indigenous Australians from as far back as the 1400's.

Regarding Muslims helping settlers, it may surprise you to know that Muslims had also come to Australia in the mid 1800's from Afghanistan and Pakistan and helped build much of the telegraphing system that we had in Australia. Perhaps if you also check your facts you will find that Burke and Wills were accompanied by Afghan Cameleers and such cameleers saved the lives of many European explorers.

Many of the Afghans stayed in Australia, marrying into indigenous families. You will find that in central and northern Australia that there are Afghan-Aboriginal's with Muslim names, in fact those who didn't have Christianity forced on them by the colonialists you so love still retain their Islamic identity today.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #147 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:10pm

Ahhh Abu Rashid.. You beat me to it akhi lol.. May ALLAH swt reward you insha'ALLAH.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #148 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:20pm

Why should we not accept polygamy among 3 or more consenting adults? Why should we not accept polyandry for the same reasons? Why should consenting adults be denied legal recognition of these arrangements where there is consent among all concerned?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #149 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:22pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:01pm:
Mohammed and his contemporaries may have had great difficulty in controlling their urges, to force themselves sexually upon any woman who they saw with anything more than than their face and hands exposed, but they must have been highly sexually dysfunctional, to think that way, we in the modern world do not think like that, try and catch up. Islamic attitudes towards women has definitely not kept pace with the advances in rights and respect, that western women enjoy.

Muslim calls for polygamy are just a further example of how womens' rights always seem to be subordinate to men's, in the Islamic culture.

To even pretend that it is some act of charity, rather than some ego driven anachronistic throwback to the good old days of raping and pillaging, and gathering your 'Prizes' along the way, is stretching credibility to breaking point.

So for me at least, I have to admit to having grave concerns for a female, brought up under strict Islamic surroundings, having the real ability to make a free and informed consent, to be the second, third, fourth, or whatever wheel, on a cart strictly under the control of men, and only men.

Raised to be subservient, and compliant, since birth, accepting of abuses that western women would never tolerate, I have real concerns about the purportedly pure motives of the polygamous males, and whether or not the women ever truly believe they have an 'EQUAL' choice in the matter.

I would also be very interested to see statistics on the average ages of subsequent wives, we know egocentric males have a propensity for desiring fresh young flesh, I doubt that the muslim fairy tale of taking in the poor lonely old women, is represented statistically.

Actually it's you who wish to take away womens rights.

The fact remains that women wouldn't be forced to accept their husband having a second wife nor would they be forced to be a part of a polygenous marriage. It's totally up to the woman so your arguments of forcible marriage are illogical and fanciful at best.

So it's obvious that it's you who want to limit women from marriage by not allowing polygenous marriages. Again, what shall those women who want to get married do when there are not enough men for them? Should they live the rest of their lives alone, without someone to love them, care for them, protect them, provide them food, accommodation, clothing, intimacy, etc?

Polygeny doesn't harm you in any way, yet you still cry blue murder when others want it.

I also ask, did the European settlers respect the cultural practices and norms of Indigenous Australians when they arrived or did they force their own European Christian culture on the Indigenous Australians? I think you'll find it's the latter and that your a hypocrite because if you check your own history you'll see that it's Anglo Australia that is for that, Muslims aren't here trying to make you have a polygenous marriage or even make you Muslim. You don't see us knocking on your doors on Saturday mornings and preaching. Yet you still accuse us of not conforming. How about you examine your own European history and see who didn't conform.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Send Topic Print