Polygamy (Read 54098 times)
Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Polygamy
Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:40am

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:18am:
By how much Malik, and why? Is there enough for two women each?

Well I don't know the exact figures. But there are a lot of Muslim women in their 30's unmarried and who want to get married, but not enough men to marry them. I think part of the problem is the certain ethnic communities own cultural biases stopping their daughters from marrying outside their ethnic group, also sadly many Muslim guys haven't grown up because their parents don't bring them up properly, in addition to that, some guys want to get married, but the parents of the girl expect him to have bought a house, be able to afford a $20,000 wedding, $10,000 worth of jewelry, $10,000 engagement, then a huge dowry too.. and the list goes on..

it's almost impossible for a Muslim youth to get married with such materialism.. So instead the youths start having sex outside of marriage.. that leads to other problems..

I think the Muslim community needs a big kick in the butt personally.. I really resent such behaviour, but until they change their priorities, these problems will continue to occur.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:42am

The main problem with polygamy is that it inevitably leads to the objectification of women. There are societies where women run the households and have multiple husbands, but in a serial manner I think. That seems to work. It would be nice if we could be free to choose what sort of relationships we have. In practice we are, because you cannot prevent three people from living together. All you can do is not give the relationship a legal status.

This article from Psychology Today makes a sound argument that it is polygamy that causes most of the violence in the middle east:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170642873/128#128

Most suicide bombers are Muslim
Suicide missions are not always religiously motivated, but according to Oxford University sociologist Diego Gambetta, editor of Making Sense of Suicide Missions, when religion is involved, the attackers are always Muslim. Why? The surprising answer is that Muslim suicide bombing has nothing to do with Islam or the Quran (except for two lines). It has a lot to do with sex, or, in this case, the absence of sex.

What distinguishes Islam from other major religions is that it tolerates polygyny. By allowing some men to monopolize all women and altogether excluding many men from reproductive opportunities, polygyny creates shortages of available women. If 50 percent of men have two wives each, then the other 50 percent don't get any wives at all.

So polygyny increases competitive pressure on men, especially young men of low status. It therefore increases the likelihood that young men resort to violent means to gain access to mates. By doing so, they have little to lose and much to gain compared with men who already have wives. Across all societies, polygyny makes men violent, increasing crimes such as murder and rape, even after controlling for such obvious factors as economic development, economic inequality, population density, the level of democracy, and political factors in the region.

However, polygyny itself is not a sufficient cause of suicide bombing. Societies in sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean are much more polygynous than the Muslim nations in the Middle East and North Africa. And they do have very high levels of violence. Sub-Saharan Africa suffers from a long history of continuous civil wars—but not suicide bombings.

The other key ingredient is the promise of 72 virgins waiting in heaven for any martyr in Islam. The prospect of exclusive access to virgins may not be so appealing to anyone who has even one mate on earth, which strict monogamy virtually guarantees. However, the prospect is quite appealing to anyone who faces the bleak reality on earth of being a complete reproductive loser.

It is the combination of polygyny and the promise of a large harem of virgins in heaven that motivates many young Muslim men to commit suicide bombings. Consistent with this explanation, all studies of suicide bombers indicate that they are significantly younger than not only the Muslim population in general but other (nonsuicidal) members of their own extreme political organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah. And nearly all suicide bombers are single.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:42am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:38am:
While we are on it, what about my right of Freedom FROM Religion?

How is a man wanting to marry more than one woman harming you in any way or interfering in your life?

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:44am

Yeah, we see the Mormon religion's heaven is a bit like airplane travel, with First class, business class, and economy.
Mormons teach that you MUST be a polygamist to get into First Class Heaven.

That may be why they need special mormon underwear, you couldn't get that silly just playing with one dick! Grin

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:46am

There is no such thing as freedom from religion.

Malik, in reference to the problems you described in the Muslim community, wouldn't polygamy make them even worse? At the moment it is bad because parents 'expect' dowries etc for their daughter. With polygamy it would go far beyond that, to the point where you need the house, car, dowry etc to even find a woman interested in marrying you.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:48am

Sprint that was a very big over simplification actually.

If you look at it first of all. In southern Lebanon and Palestine, there are not so many polygenist marriages actually.. And that is where your article claims most suicide bombings take place.

If you want to see polygenist marriages, check places like Africa and the Gulf, where no suicide bombing takes place. That's where it really occurs.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:53am

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:42am:

How is a man wanting to marry more than one woman harming you in any way or interfering in your life?

Hi Malik.
It is the belief that they have the right to come into our western culture, which has a long tradition of Monogamy, and demand that we change our Laws, and Traditions, to accommodate them.

I like our Western culture.
I don't like Islamic culture.
I believe our culture is better, we have evolved to be a modern society, where Law is above the primitive religious beliefs, and I believe that our culture is worth preserving.

If you wish to follow Islamic culture, there are Islamic countries where you are free to do so.
So instead of trying to have us change to accept your culture, which we do not want, you have the freedom to abide by our customs and laws, or move to a country which offers the Laws and Customs you want.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:02am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:53am:

Hi Malik.
It is the belief that they have the right to come into our western culture, which has a long tradition of Monogamy, and demand that we change our Laws, and Traditions, to accommodate them.

I believe our culture is better, we have evolved to be a modern society, where Law is above the primitive religious beliefs, and I believe that our culture is worth preserving.

If you wish to follow Islamic culture, there are Islamic countries where you are free to do so.
So instead of trying to have us change to accept your culture, which we do not want, you have the freedom to abide by our customs and laws, or move to a country which offers the Laws and Customs you want.

So Mozzaok,

You still haven't shown how someone having an extra wife will interfere with your life?

Also I wonder in that case, why you have no problem with someone cheating on their wife and have children outside of marriage with their mistress in the West, but you do have a problem with people taking on another wife legitimately.

It's hypocritical. Obviously if you're cheating  on your wife its far more abhorrent because she doesn't know about it (hence cheating) and it could end your marriage. But instead of attacking that behaviour you attack a situation where a woman allows her husband to take another wife. Surely if you truly believed in monogamy you'd have more of a problem with people cheating on their wives than you do at the moment.

Definitely hypocritical.

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:06am

Hi Malik.

I must agree with mozzaok,
I am not religious , I think too many people waste their lives worrying about whats going to happen when they die instead of living the only life the're ever going to get.
Having said that I do agree with most Buddist principals and try to live my life accordingly.
The thing I find offensive is that any religion trys to push their brand forward ahead of all others and try to manipulate laws to suit themselves.
As mozz said ,Australia is not a fanatical religious country like many muslim countrys are, nor is it a fanatical christian country like the states , or jewish like Israel, and WE like it that way.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:08am

The philosophical debate about sexual freedom is a different issue Malik.

My Primary concern is an alien culture seeking to change my traditional culture.

I do not wish to see any religious group, have laws changed to accommodate their beliefs.

I oppose the erosion of MY culture.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:14am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:08am:
The philosophical debate about sexual freedom is a different issue Malik.

My Primary concern is an alien culture seeking to change my traditional culture.

I do not wish to see any religious group, have laws changed to accommodate their beliefs.

I oppose the erosion of MY culture.

It's not a different issue at all. Cheating has everything to do with marriage. Thus you can't be hypocritical in this situation.

I wonder also, did the British come here and respect and live by Aboriginal culture after they arrived? Or did they even just keep to themselves and live by their own culture? No.. they went further, they forced British culture onto the Aborigines, forced the Aborigines to change to their own ways.

Muslims aren't even doing that. They just want to live according to their own religious beliefs here in a society where you wouldn't have to do the same if you didn't want to..

At least you'd have a choice, unlike the Aborigines who were forced en masse to adopt the British way, and those who didn't were kidnapped out of their homes and sent to white institutions to become British.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:16am

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:46am:

Oh fiddlesticks.  Freedom from religion means for example that you can go shopping on sundays if you like, or even get drunk if you like.

We should all have the basic freedom not to be forced to participate in religion if we don't want to. You might say that it's part of freedom of religion, but so what? Freedom from Religion still exists - or it should do.   

http://assembly.coe.int/Main.asp?link=/Documents/AdoptedText/ta05/EREC1720.htm

"The Parliamentary Assembly forcefully reaffirms that each person’s religion, including the option of having no religion, is a strictly personal matter. However, this is not inconsistent with the view that a good general knowledge of religions and the resulting sense of tolerance are essential to the exercise of democratic citizenship."

That's freedom from religion. Sometimes I think we are so backwards compared to the Europeans.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:22am

muso wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:16am:
freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:46am:

Oh fiddlesticks.  Freedom from religion means for example that you can go shopping on sundays if you like, or even get drunk if you like.

We should all have the basic freedom not to be forced to participate in religion if we don't want to. You might say that it's part of freedom of religion, but so what? Freedom from Religion still exists - or it should do.  

http://assembly.coe.int/Main.asp?link=/Documents/AdoptedText/ta05/EREC1720.htm

"The Parliamentary Assembly forcefully reaffirms that each person’s religion, including the option of having no religion, is a strictly personal matter. However, this is not inconsistent with the view that a good general knowledge of religions and the resulting sense of tolerance are essential to the exercise of democratic citizenship."

That's freedom from religion. Sometimes I think we are so backwards compared to the Europeans.

I agree there Muso, it's peoples right to have a religion or not, but also great to have a knowledge so as to be tolerant.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #28 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:35am

I agree with you to a point. I like typical Australian culture. I enjoy an espresso and a bit of carrot cake, I like to have a falafel kebab when I'm hungry. I also like yum cha and the occasional sushi with wasabe as much as I will enjoy watching Queensland win next week at the State of Origin.

Take a look at some of the players in that clash of titans. They represent a reasonable cross-section of Australian culture. I'm not sure if there are specifically any Muslims among them, but there are certainly people with different family and cultural traditions.

Most of those traditions will tend to blur as time goes on. As Malik stated, the Muslim community is already having problems with their kids. (Who doesn't?)

Lines of distinction will continue to blur, and we'll have more in common with just being Australians rather than being Muslims or Catholics or Godless Heathens for that matter.

I'd prefer to live in a land of freedom, and freedom of choice. If you compare Australia to the US, both have variety, but we're totally different and distinctive. If countries were ice cream flavours, Australia would be tutti-frutti and America would be stale vanilla.

That's my two cents anyway.  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:41am

Oh fiddlesticks.  Freedom from religion means for example that you can go shopping on sundays if you like, or even get drunk if you like.

No it doesn't. It doesn't really mean anything at all that isn't implicit in freedom of religion. Mozz just wants it to mean that people cannot preselytise. He want sto use 'freedom from religion' to deny people free speech, freedom to practice their relgion etc.

We should all have the basic freedom not to be forced to participate in religion if we don't want to.

That's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

You might say that it's part of freedom of religion, but so what? Freedom from Religion still exists - or it should do.   

It is an important distinction. If there is any difference between the terms, then they are contradictory. If you place any meaning on freedom from religion, it means denying people freedom of religion. Otherwise it is just muddled, ambiguous english.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Send Topic Print