Polygamy (Read 54153 times)
Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Polygamy
Reply #165 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:35pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:22pm:
Give me some evidence to support these claims.  Even Muslim references would be entertaining.

Malik, Australian was discovered and settled by Europeans, and unless you want to disturb some centuries of history, I suggest better put up or shut up.

How can you discover a land that already has inhabitants? Oh that's right, White Australia didn't recognise Indigenous Australians as people until 1975, my mistake.

I've given you evidence. Here's some more

Quote:
http://learnline.cdu.edu.au/commonunits/cuc107/people/expansion.html
Macassan contact

The contact by the Macassan people of the Indonesian Archipelago (often said to have come from Macassar in the Celebes (now Sulawesi) represents an important phase in the cultural expansion and change of the Northern Territory because of its profound influence on the Yolngu people and others whose traditional lands are along the Arnhemland coast.

Even though the Macassans continued to visit the coastline and local people that lived in this area of north Australia until 1906, many Australians are not even aware of this important part of our history.

The trading route

The Macassans, for three centuries and possibly as long as six centuries, sailed seasonally from Ujung Pandang (Macassar) at the southwestern tip of Sulawesi (Celebes) (see map) to trade with Aboriginal people from the Kimberleys in the west, to as far as Mornington Island in the east of the Gulf of Carpentaria.

The Macassans sailed to the Arnhemland coast in prahus (also spelt prows, praus and perahus) on the winds of the northwest monsoons each summer namely around December and returned with the southeast winds about three months later. They came to collect the sea cucumber, or sea slug (also known as trepang and beche-de-mer), turtle shell and pearl shell, which are prolific in these northern waters. The Chinese, the principle market for trepang, believed the trepang held great medicinal and aphrodisiac value. Yolngu do not use trepang as it is poisonous (it contains a saponin, holothurian glucoside), but when prepared correctly, it can be made free of the poison.

According to Cawte:

For centuries Chinese merchants engaged caravels to go to the unknown South Land to garner it by the ton from those shores and take it to Timor, whence their own junks sailed it home to the local markets to sell for food and medicine.

(Cawte 1996, p 44)

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #166 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:38pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:25pm:
Oh really?

Hmmm that's interesting because it was Christians who massacred 6million jews in WW2 and not Muslims.. Christians who attacked Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

Christianity has obviously taken the cake there, not Islam

It was Nazis. Under a guise of Christianity, Nazis were actually were extremely interested in the occult and dark arts. That's not Christian.

Looking at Vietnam, it was Communist terrorists who attacked French Indochina, divided it up and proceeded to start insurgency, which prompted the Americans (not "Christians", yes some may have been, just as surely some were Muslim).

It was the UN who defended South Korea from communist aggressors also.

Lets talk about Afghanistan. Were you aware that Afghanistan had years prior declared WAR on the USA? So they got what they were asking for, war. Not to mention that Muslim terrorist training camps were located there.

Christians didn't attack Iraq either. It was the multinational task force or whatever you call it.

None of the instances you raised were religious wars, just because Christians were involved, does not make it a Christian war.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #167 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:41pm

easel wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:38pm:
Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:25pm:
Oh really?

Hmmm that's interesting because it was Christians who massacred 6million jews in WW2 and not Muslims.. Christians who attacked Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

Christianity has obviously taken the cake there, not Islam

It was Nazis. Under a guise of Christianity, Nazis were actually were extremely interested in the occult and dark arts. That's not Christian.

Looking at Vietnam, it was Communist terrorists who attacked French Indochina, divided it up and proceeded to start insurgency, which prompted the Americans (not "Christians", yes some may have been, just as surely some were Muslim).

It was the UN who defended South Korea from communist aggressors also.

Lets talk about Afghanistan. Were you aware that Afghanistan had years prior declared WAR on the USA? So they got what they were asking for, war. Not to mention that Muslim terrorist training camps were located there.

Christians didn't attack Iraq either. It was the multinational task force or whatever you call it.

None of the instances you raised were religious wars, just because Christians were involved, does not make it a Christian war.

Hitler claimed to be doing it for the sake of God as a catholic.

Furthermore, Bush said that God told him to attack Iraq, that sounds a bit religious to me.

They also were going to call the operation in Afghanistan Operation Divine Justice.

That sounds very religious to me

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #168 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:48pm

Hitler was also an occultist. Not a Christian. The two are mutually exclusive. I can lie and say I'm a Shinto if I want, does that make it true?

Bush is a politician living in an extremely religious society. Politicians are well known to lie and say things that they know the public would love to hear. Since when do we believe politicians anyway?

So they were going to call it Divine Justice? Who cares what they were going to call it? It's an operation name. They are generally not meant to mean anything. In the Afghan war, the US had one called "Operation Counterstrike". Can we assume from this that they were inspired by the computer game?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #169 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:57pm

easel wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:48pm:
Hitler was also an occultist. Not a Christian. The two are mutually exclusive. I can lie and say I'm a Shinto if I want, does that make it true?

Bush is a politician living in an extremely religious society. Politicians are well known to lie and say things that they know the public would love to hear. Since when do we believe politicians anyway?

So they were going to call it Divine Justice? Who cares what they were going to call it? It's an operation name. They are generally not meant to mean anything. In the Afghan war, the US had one called "Operation Counterstrike". Can we assume from this that they were inspired by the computer game?

Because the name of the operation has everything to do with the operation.

The Crusades were the Crusades because they believed they were doing God's will.

Operation Divine Justice is similar to that.

Bush claimed he did it because God told him too. Thus it's for religious reasons.

Nazi Germany was majority Christian, Christians who took part in the Genocide of 6 Million Jews.

It's not looking good for Christianity.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #170 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:57pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:35pm:
Aussie wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:22pm:
Give me some evidence to support these claims.  Even Muslim references would be entertaining.

Malik, Australian was discovered and settled by Europeans, and unless you want to disturb some centuries of history, I suggest better put up or shut up.

How can you discover a land that already has inhabitants? Oh that's right, White Australia didn't recognise Indigenous Australians as people until 1975, my mistake.

I've given you evidence. Here's some more

Quote:
http://learnline.cdu.edu.au/commonunits/cuc107/people/expansion.html
Macassan contact

The contact by the Macassan people of the Indonesian Archipelago (often said to have come from Macassar in the Celebes (now Sulawesi) represents an important phase in the cultural expansion and change of the Northern Territory because of its profound influence on the Yolngu people and others whose traditional lands are along the Arnhemland coast.

Even though the Macassans continued to visit the coastline and local people that lived in this area of north Australia until 1906, many Australians are not even aware of this important part of our history.

The trading route

The Macassans, for three centuries and possibly as long as six centuries, sailed seasonally from Ujung Pandang (Macassar) at the southwestern tip of Sulawesi (Celebes) (see map) to trade with Aboriginal people from the Kimberleys in the west, to as far as Mornington Island in the east of the Gulf of Carpentaria.

The Macassans sailed to the Arnhemland coast in prahus (also spelt prows, praus and perahus) on the winds of the northwest monsoons each summer namely around December and returned with the southeast winds about three months later. They came to collect the sea cucumber, or sea slug (also known as trepang and beche-de-mer), turtle shell and pearl shell, which are prolific in these northern waters. The Chinese, the principle market for trepang, believed the trepang held great medicinal and aphrodisiac value. Yolngu do not use trepang as it is poisonous (it contains a saponin, holothurian glucoside), but when prepared correctly, it can be made free of the poison.

According to Cawte:

For centuries Chinese merchants engaged caravels to go to the unknown South Land to garner it by the ton from those shores and take it to Timor, whence their own junks sailed it home to the local markets to sell for food and medicine.

(Cawte 1996, p 44)

Assuming this all to be true......and it is not.....even the author concedes it is speculative.............they were Muslim, were they?

That is where my exchange with you began, and you have failed to support what are really wild assertions about Australian history.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #171 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:00pm

easel,

Quote:
I don't care about gays and lesbians, or the Mardi Gras

Obviously you do, because you're the one who raised it. See following quote.

Quote:
Let's give poofs and lesbians the right to marry too

Quote:
This is why I like Jesus. He says nothing about gays, it's all old testament.

That would indicate that the Old Testament stance on homosexuality still stood then, as it was not abrogated by the teachings of the New Testament. The New Testament is not a complete teaching (even according to Christians) but merely reiterates what came before it and in some cases abrogates what is no longer relevant.

Couple this with the fact homosexuality was considered a sin and crime punishable by execution right up until only a century or less ago. And it's quite clear Christianity never condoned it. 2000 years of Christian scholarshiop and jurisprudence says one thing, and you say something else, who are we to believe... I dunno, it's a tough one.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #172 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:11pm

Didn't Jesus change everything with the NT, eg, we can eat shellfish and pork now?

I don't care about gays or lesbians because of their sexuality, they are just people to me, no different to anyone else, they deserve no special attention.

Quote:
Because the name of the operation has everything to do with the operation.

The Crusades were the Crusades because they believed they were doing God's will.

Operation Divine Justice is similar to that.

Bush claimed he did it because God told him too. Thus it's for religious reasons.

Nazi Germany was majority Christian, Christians who took part in the Genocide of 6 Million Jews.

It's not looking good for Christianity.

Do some cursory research, and you will find that operational code names, generally don't mean anything. Let's look at the Manhattan project. Can we deduce anything from that?

Nazi Germany was majority Christian, so were the allied powers. According to your logic, we can say that Christians are amazing people who saved the Jews.

The high ranking Nazis were occultists. They were NOT Christian.

And as to it not looking good for Christianity, it doesn't look good for any major religion.

At least majority Christian countries have moved out of the dark ages.

Anyway, what's your point? Why should we legalise polygamy?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #173 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:13pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:57pm:
Assuming this all to be true......and it is not.....even the author concedes it is speculative.............they were Muslim, were they?

That is where my exchange with you began, and you have failed to support what are really wild assertions about Australian history.

Oh it's true mate, it's a well known fact that Macassan traders had established relationships with Indigenous Australians as early as 1400AD, perhaps even earlier.

Quote:
Australian History

When the first Europeans settled in Australia in 1788 there were, perhaps, a million Aborigines in Australia and over 200 different spoken languages. This population was significantly and quickly depleted through a combination of warfare, disease and dispossession of lands. One reason for the cultural acceptability of colonial violence was the mistaken belief that Aborigines had no religion. The continuous Christian missionary presence in Aboriginal communities since 1821 has seen many Aborigines convert to Christianity. Indigenous communities across Australia’s Top End had contact with the Muslim Macassan traders for many centuries before white settlement. In the 1996 Australian census, more than 7000 respondents indicated that they followed a traditional Aboriginal religion.

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/stories/s790117.htm

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #174 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:13pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:00pm:
[That would indicate that the Old Testament stance on homosexuality still stood then, as it was not abrogated by the teachings of the New Testament. The New Testament is not a complete teaching (even according to Christians) but merely reiterates what came before it and in some cases abrogates what is no longer relevant.

Jehovah's Witnesses, decidedly Christian, do not follow the Old Testament. They have only two commandments, love thy neighbour and love God, according to what they told me about 3 weeks ago.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #175 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:20pm

easel wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:11pm:

I've explained the reasons why.

Unless of course you can find a solution of what to do when there are not enough men around for the women who want to have a husband, to be looked after by a husband, protected, loved, given intimacy, accommodation, clothing, food etc.

What should those women do?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #176 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:24pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:13pm:
[quote author=Aussie link=1214390480/165#170 date=1214740662]

Oh it's true mate, it's a well known fact that Macassan traders had established relationships with Indigenous Australians as early as 1400AD, perhaps even earlier.

Quote:
Australian History

When the first Europeans settled in Australia in 1788 there were, perhaps, a million Aborigines in Australia and over 200 different spoken languages. This population was significantly and quickly depleted through a combination of warfare, disease and dispossession of lands. One reason for the cultural acceptability of colonial violence was the mistaken belief that Aborigines had no religion. The continuous Christian missionary presence in Aboriginal communities since 1821 has seen many Aborigines convert to Christianity. Indigenous communities across Australia’s Top End had contact with the Muslim Macassan traders for many centuries before white settlement. In the 1996 Australian census, more than 7000 respondents indicated that they followed a traditional Aboriginal religion.

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/stories/s790117.htm

Laughable, Malik.

I had a mistaken belief that you might bring some objectivity to our neighbourhood.

I was wrong.

You are an idiot on history, and thus, it remains to be seen whether you celebrate the same status on what you espouse about your chosen religion.

Is there a Muslim in the house?

Bye for now.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #177 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Looks like we have a few new members. Welcome to OzPolitic MW and abu_rashid.

These quotes are going back to page 6:

[i]I am not confusing anything FD, all the things I mentioned, are Islamic cultural areas which conflict with western standards.

Yes you are Mozz. Islam is a religion, not a culture. There is no reason why someone can't have Islam as their religion and be Australian by culture. Not all Christians have the same culture and it would be ignorant to assume the same about Muslims.

You also state that Islam is systematically racist against Jews, if that was the case we wouldn't have protected them from the Christian and European hordes that tried to rid them from the face of the earth. In fact the Jewish communities that have been safest in the world have lived amongst the Muslims, in Iran, Yemen, Morocco, Egypt, Islamic Spain, Ottoman Empire etc. When the Islamic State ruled these areas, Jews were given autonomy, allowed to live by their own laws, elect their own clergy and live under the protection of the Islamic State. Compare that with non Muslim Europe who forcibly converted more than a hundred thousand Jews in their many inquisitions and murdered many too. In addition to that Europe allowed anti Semitism to gain such support that Hitler was able to murder SIX BILLION OF THEM before the rest of the world stopped him. So regarding that, you have no right to blame Muslims for anti semitism. We ARE Semites.[/i]

That's an interesting argument Malik. You really should start a new thread about that in the global board. It really would open some people's eyes about Islam. And no doubt generate some more interesting debate.

BTW, it was six million, not billion.

Islam prescribes the Islamic State be run according to the Qur'an and Sunnah. But that doesn't mean we are against people living in a secular democracy.

Wouldn't Islam require you to vote in favour of an Islamic state if given the chance?

The prophet pbuh said that believing woman should cover everything except their face and hands..

Do you think women should be allowed to swim at the beach? Should they have to wear clothes that meet this standard?

If those behaviours were matters of concern for the human rights abuses inflicted on people in Islamic states alone, I would still feel the same, but when I see those same behaviours, demanding acceptance and respect, on religious/cultural grounds, in our own, non-muslim country, then I have the right to state that I consider them to be a negative influence in our society.

But that's not what you see Mozz. That is what you project.

The prohibition for alcohol was handed down in several stages because the arabs loved drinking and gambling.

2:219
They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit. And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does Allah make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder

Malik to me that sounds like it is approving alcohol and gambling, but you should only gamble what you can afford to lose.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #178 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:30pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:20pm:

Unless of course you can find a solution of what to do when there are not enough men around for the women who want to have a husband, to be looked after by a husband, protected, loved, given intimacy, accommodation, clothing, food etc.

We don't have that problem in this country. We don't need polygamy. Keep your religion, but don't try to introduce it to our culture.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #179 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:35pm

easel wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:30pm:
Malik Shakur wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:20pm:

We don't have that problem in this country. We don't need polygamy. Keep your religion, but don't try to introduce it to our culture.

We DO have that problem in Australia in the Muslim community.

You can't stop us from 'introducing' Islam to Australia, it was here long before Christianity was mate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17
Send Topic Print