Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
Polygamy (Read 54097 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Polygamy
Reply #240 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 3:18pm

Abu - you'll probably also be amazed when you are not banned for disagreeing.

back to the query which you have avoided

Quote:
Quote:
Jews and Christians really can't say much, because in the Bible it's clearly permitted and was never abrogated in the New Testament.

To which I replied :-

"But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.

1 corinthians 7: 2-4

In every time is is singular terms used. One husband, one wife.

Of course that says one man, one woman. ie, NO multiple wives .

Seems to be, multiple wives is off the fantasy for xian men.

Which is realistic, generally there is 50/50 boys and girls born.

feel free to start athread on the relationship between new and old testaments.
Much better to have specific threads.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #241 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 3:35pm

But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

- for each woman to have her won husband, you have to exclude polygamy, otherwise women have to share husbands. There is no ambiguity in this line. It means two people to a marriage.

Also, as members of Australian society, don't Muslims have a right to lobby for reognition under the law for such things? Isn't this what a free and democratic society is all about?

Sure.

There's only 1 country in the world that I know of where women are required by law to cover up

There are plenty of ways to force women to cover up. Making it a legal requirement is only one. A far easier way is to punish them for being raped or make them feel that it is inevitable when they reveal themselbves in any way, and make men see scantily clad women as the problem, rather than their own inability to control themselves. When that happens, they will be scared to set foot in the street.

Can you provide some evidence or documentation about this? I've never read anything about the pre-Victorian hedonism of the British.

Hedonism and nudity are not the same thing. Nudity and sex are not the same thing. Nudity and sexualisation are not the same thing.

Without women and the appeal of their nakedness or semi-nakedness, there'd be no advertising industry, and I think you know that, you just don't want to admit it.

Crap.

By your reasoning, the fashion industry should be booming in the Muslim countries, as there's less nudity and more clothes...

You are the one making ti all about the fashion industry. If it's a choice between a fashion industry and abuse of women, I choose the fashion industry. One thing that is booming in Muslim countries is the abuse and oppression of women.

This is a false argument, since Islam doesn't claim women should only cover when weather conditions dictate it.

No it is not a false argument. It is my point. Women should be allowed to wear whatever is comfortable according to the conditions. Yes our early settlers did not do this, and we laugh at them for causing themselves such discomfort. We are not going to go back to forcing women to wear tents.

Islam has a certain level of public decency for men and women all year 'round

LOL, totally covered except for hands and face is not a 'certain level'. It is draconian.

But the facts tend to indicate that societies where sexual imagery is flooded into people's minds tend to have the least respect for women.

Crap. Tell me what countries stone women as punishment for being raped? Forcing a woman to cover up is not respect. It is a form of protection against the disrespect in the society. Respecting women and protecting them against disrespect, at their own cost, are not the same thing.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #242 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 3:59pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 3:18pm:
Seems to be, multiple wives is off the fantasy for xian men.

I seem to have missed something. Who or what are xians? Huh

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #243 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 4:40pm

Slang for Christian. Like xmas. I annoys me too. Save it for the text messages, I reckon.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #244 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:07pm

abu - you still have not answered this .

Quote:
Jews and Christians really can't say much, because in the Bible it's clearly permitted and was never abrogated in the New Testament.

To which I replied :-

"But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.

1 corinthians 7: 2-4

In every time is is singular terms used. One husband, one wife.

Of course that says one man, one woman. ie, NO multiple wives ."

fd and acid - us xians tend to be progressive too  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #245 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:46pm

sprint,

Quote:
Abu - you'll probably also be amazed when you are not banned for disagreeing

Does this mean I  said something that warranted being banned? But out of your infinite graciousness, I am to be spared? Thank you oh so much Smiley

Quote:
The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. (1 corinthians 7: 2-4)

Ok, since you're so intent on quoting these verses, I'm going to assume you've read them quite thoroughly, and perhaps even checked their actual meanings in the original Greek? As we know only too well that the English translation is often very biased towards the time period in which it was done.

Now in this verse, the word translated as "his own" and "her own" is actually two different words in Greek, and neither of them carry the meaning of "exclusive ownership". They are simply possessive pronouns "his" her" theirs" etc. So the possessive pronoun in English should be quite sufficient to represent them. As when you couple the English possessive pronoun with the word "own" it's an attempt to strengthen that possession, which just isn't in the original Greek text.

Just to give you a few examples:

"For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always." (Matthew 26:11)

The world "you" here is the same as the word "his own" in the verse you quoted (Greek: ἑαυτοῦ). Do you think this really means "For ye have the poor always with you and only you"? I've cross referenced quite a lot of verses with the exact same Greek word in them, and I couldn't find a single case of it carrying a meaning of exclusive ownership.

"And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city." (Matthew 9:1)

Now in this case, the other word is used (Greek: ἴδιος). Do you think the city is possessed by just one man (in this case Jesus I think)?? Does this word indicate exclusive ownership? I don't think so.

So I don't think those verses are as clear cut as you might like to think. They do not specifically mention exclusive ownership of one spouse over the other. They simply mention that each man should possess a wife (without specifying quantity) in order to prevent lewd sexual behaviour, and this was in response to someone asking whether men should remain celibate.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #246 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:10pm

Abu - I meant, that if this was a muslim chatroom and you were a nonmuslim, you would be close to being banned by now.

As it is one of freedom of expression, you will never be banned.
And I will always appeal for you to have your say.
If you did not have your feedom of speech, I would leave.

The quotes I have given are from the NIV, they were decided upon over about a decade of debate by about 15 different christian churches with many multilingual experts referring to original texts.

Take any quibbles up with them, I'm quite happy as to their intention.
The preface includes the sort of inanities you allude to.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #247 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:12pm

abu - you STILL have not answered your false query I answered about polygamy and the NT.

feel free to have enough guts to complete it.

Or can NO muslims say they are wrong ??

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #248 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:23pm

I'm sorry, but I am not going to debate a translation. The original text says nothing about one man, one women, and it says nothing about exclusive ownership, and that's what you're arguing. You're reading something into the English text, which isn't even there, and most certainly doesn't exist in the original Greek text.

As for your claim it's decided on by a panel of however many scholars, were any of them polygamists? I doubt it, and that's probably why they twisted the words into English in the manner in which they did.

I've quite clearly provided with examples that show this word does not denote exclusive ownership. If you want I can bring forth at least another 99 more, just to make it 100 examples.

If you've got anything stronger to back your interpretation, please supply it, otherwise resign to the fact your intepretation is not in line with the original texts.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #249 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:38pm

unable to admit you are wrong ? No muslim can.

the concordance I have goes back to original root greek, aramaic and heberew words.

but, you would disagree with them all, unless they agreed with mohammad the paed.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #250 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:23am

They simply mention that each man should possess a wife (without specifying quantity) in order to prevent lewd sexual behaviour, and this was in response to someone asking whether men should remain celibate.

You left out the bit about a woman possessing a husband. She cannot possess a husband if other women also possess him.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #251 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:48pm

freediver,

Please read the examples I provided properly.

Especially the one where the same word is used to refer to someone speaking about "his own" city. Yes possession is expressed through this word, but not exclusive possession, all the other 100,000 other souls who live in the city also possess it. Just as other wives can possess the same husband. The grammar used in this passage is completely in line with the concept of polygamy, and does not rule it out at all.

Also the fact that the word used for wife can be understood as wife or wives. In fact in about 120 odd occurences of this word in the NT, it refers to wives (plural) whilst only about 95 cases of it refer to wie (singular).

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #252 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 8:25am

Poor Abu, you see everything through your shiny new muslim eyes, everything except reality of course.

You can follow your convictions without the need to be number one poster boy for Allah, in fact, you will certainly be a better muslim if you spent less time interpreting ancient verses, and more time helping modern man, for charity is the only true way to personal fulfillment.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #253 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 8:37am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:38pm:
unable to admit you are wrong ? No muslim can.

Do yourself a favour  Grin

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print