jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Re: Welcome moderators.
Reply #45 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 6:51pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 2nd, 2008 at 5:58pm:
Quote:
Debate is one thing but if your just going to toe the Islamic party line,

Since we are Muslims, wouldn't it go without saying that we're going to debate from a Muslim perspective? Are you expecting us to debate from a non-Muslim perspective or something?

Of course you are, but remember that your perspective is just one among many, your view is biased and thus you may not be well respected in your opinions because of this.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 9:32pm

Quote:
Of course you are, but remember that your perspective is just one among many, your view is biased and thus you may not be well respected in your opinions because of this.

You see, this really is the problem isn't it.

I've got no problem whatsoever with what you said. Yes all people are biased in their opinions and their opinions are only one amongst many... But why is it you seem to think Muslims have any less right to be respect when they stick to their beliefs and opinions? Are we somehow less than others? If a communist or democrat or christian or anarchist or libertarian sticks to their views, that's fine, they can be biased and be one among many, and that's ok. But for a Muslim.. no you won't be well respected for that.

So no problem with what you said Jordan, it's fine by me, just make sure you apply it to all, evenly. Not just Muslims. Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #47 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 12:10pm

Anyone who sees the world through only one philosophy, mindset, political or religious ideal should be criticised just as much as a muslim who will only see the world through the eyes of Islam. And if any of those groups you mentioned were preventing people from free speech the way malik is trying to, the way Islam is trying to, then we have a problem.

People who, like yourself, can't see the forest for the trees deserve to have their opinions taken with a grain of salt.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #48 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 12:54pm

Quote:
Anyone who sees the world through only one philosophy, mindset, political or religious ideal should be criticised

This is what you still fail to realise, ALL people see the world through their own philosophy, mindset and political/religious ideals. This is just a simple fact of our limited nature and the fact we understand the world through our own individual perceptive lens.

The fact that you deny this, and consider yourself and those like you to be the only objective observers is testament to this fact.

I'm not going to reiterate this concept again, as it really doesn't seem to be penetrating through the thick outer crust.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #49 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:08pm

Likewise.

Hypocrite.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 10:39pm

jordan484 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:08pm:
Likewise.

Hypocrite.

Oh the irony....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 3:21pm

Since we are Muslims, wouldn't it go without saying that we're going to debate from a Muslim perspective? Are you expecting us to debate from a non-Muslim perspective or something?

I often find it very useful to construct your argument from your opponents perspective. It's the greatest test of whether you understand your opponents argument. It also makes your response far more powerful, because your opponent does not have to first accept an alternative perspective in oder to accept your argument.

But why is it you seem to think Muslims have any less right to be respect

I don't think he considers anyone to have that right.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print