Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brendan Nelson stands aside.... (Read 4841 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Brendan Nelson stands aside....
Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:19pm

to allow a vote for leader of opposition to take place.This was announced on the news tonight.

He will be standing for election along with the usual I guess..

He has guts ill give him that..or he is just fed up with the speculation and unrest.

good luck Nelson.   Sad

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Brendan Nelson stands aside....
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:40pm

Yes, he has guts and probably is the most honest of the lot as nobody wanted the job straight after last year defeat. It is most likely that the next federal elections still won't be a win for coalition so if there will be another Liberal Party leader he or she will be just another sacrificial pawn. On another hand Malcolm Turnbull may decide to go "Howard's Way" to get in and out early and then to get in again just before everybody get sick from Labor. However this strategy involves risk of mistiming.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Malcom Turnbull wins leadership vote...
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:54am

Tallowood...Yes he was a brave man picking up the batton in that first few months..It was a thankless task and has proved to be to date...much criticism has been aimed at him and for what...

Here is an article anyway on same..

Turnbull wins Liberals leadership vote
Email Print Normal font Large font September 16, 2008 - 9:43AM

Malcolm Turnbull has defeated Brendan Nelson by just four votes to take the leadership of the federal Liberal party.

A party room spokesman said Mr Turnbull had 45 votes to Dr Nelson's 41 votes.

Julie Bishop remains as deputy leader.

The Liberal Party will hold a press conference shortly to discuss the result.

Dr Nelson, who had polled poorly against Prime Minister Kevin Rudd for more than nine months, on Monday night called a shock spill of the leadership to try to stem continuing destabilisation of his position.

Mr Turnbull - who was the party's treasury spokesman - lost a leadership ballot by just three votes to Dr Nelson late last year.

http://news.theage.com.au/national/turnbull-wins-liberals-leadership-vote-200809...
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:00am by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:45am

He was a member of the big banking elite.

He wanted the dams sold and the Murray sold to the bank he used to work for.

We really don't need this cretin.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:16am

Who easel ?

That could be anyone in the Liberal party. Wink Or probably Labor party for that matter Cry

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:20am

Turnbull.

Wasn't he a big wig over at Macquarie Bank? And then the Murray (or the snowy, one of them) was going to be sold to Macquarie Bank until talk back radio went psycho and Johnnie had to cancel the plan?

He's a crook!

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:43am

Turnbull the Terrific is here !!!!!!!!!!!
He has improved as a pollie and will wipe the floor with ruddydudd.

Turnbull's a winner, not a wimper. He is staunch, not a sook.
The leftards can retire to their hand wringing, apologetic, kaftan wearing ways.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 1:21pm

easel wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:20am:
Turnbull.
Wasn't he a big wig over at Macquarie Bank? And then the Murray (or the snowy, one of them) was going to be sold to Macquarie Bank until talk back radio went psycho and Johnnie had to cancel the plan?

He's a crook!

Yes mate, he is a scary man.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 2:54pm

During that time he was 'Minister for Environment and Water Resources'.

How the public (let alone his own party!) have continued to support him remains a mystery to me.

Then again, they say the worlds biggest gangsters end up in politics and big business.

They're all bastards.

Was just reading his wikipedia article. Likely to be accurate considering his staffers would be maintaining it. The incestuous relationships between the media, banking and political world is plain for even an idiot to see after having a look through it.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 3:00pm by easel »  

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Oooh, tough crowd!

I do not mind a man of means seeking public office, accept at local council level, where there have been just too many crooked developers and estate agents rorting the system, but I would ban councils anyway, if I had my way, three tiers of government is at least one too many.

Back to Malcolm, I don't mind him, as far as the Libs go, they could do a lot worse, and they usually do, no party has a knack for picking deceitful bast@rds, like the Libs do.

I think The Cruel Sea will be getting plenty of air time in canberra now, because for Rudd, finally, "The Honeymoon Is Over"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-S_6-v6VU  Cool

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:31pm

mozzaok - yes, 3 levels of govt is one too many.
As happened in business many years ago, the middle management is the obvious one to go.

I could see rudd the petal wilting under a sustained Turnbull the Terriffic effortless powerful questioning.

rudd would far rather face up to nelson than Turnbull
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:43pm by Sprintcyclist »  

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 7:17am

Is it sign of devil or number of holes on the face?

The photo paparazzi can be real bastards sometimes.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:41am

I've always expected Turnbull to be Lib leader, so its no surprise, but what I find interesting is that we now have a Lib leader who I believe is more left wing than the Labor leader.
Will this push Labor more to the left?
I'm sure the Libs will be more socially aware under Turnbull than they ever were under Howard, and I have to be honest I kind of like him, he reminds me of Keating, I just think he is in the wrong party, maybe we can do an exchange, the Libs can have kevvy and Labor can take Turnbull.
The best thing about it is that under Turnbull the Libs should be a much more moderate party than they were under Howard.
I saw a poll this morning where 72% of people thought Turnbull could beat Rudd at the next election, I expect kevvys honymoon might be comming to an end and I expect Turnbull to at least double Nelsons figures as prefered PM in the first survey out, which I think is next week.
Labor and Liberal supporters be afraid be very afraid, I think we are in for a very interesting ride.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 10:04am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:31pm:
mozzaok - yes, 3 levels of govt is one too many.
As happened in business many years ago, the middle management is the obvious one to go.

Except that usually in these kinds of rationalisation exercises its the tea lady who gets the sack.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 11:40am

It wont be long before Turnbulls smug slimey grin gets on everyones nerves...

ugghh I cant stand him.

But Politics will get more interesting from this point on. My God we sure need it to ..the honeymoon stage has been quite nauseating .

Im going to love the sparring between him and Rudd.

Rudd doesnt do "dirty"  very well  .

Peter is waiting ..waiting...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print