Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
King Turnbull (Read 3319 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

King Turnbull
Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:10pm

"Malcolm grew up in Vaucluse and Double Bay in the 1950s and 1960s. His father, Bruce, was a single parent for much of Malcolm's childhood. They lived in a series of flats, mostly rented.

Malcolm was educated at Vaucluse Public School and Sydney Grammar School. Malcolm's high school education at Sydney Grammar was assisted by a scholarship.

Seventeen years ago Malcolm arranged for an additional means tested scholarship to be established at Sydney Grammar in memory of his late father.

Malcolm graduated from Sydney University with a BA LLB. He won a Rhodes Scholarship and completed a further law degree at Oxford.

During and after his studies at Sydney University, Malcolm worked as a journalist with the Bulletin, 2SM, TCN 9 and the London Sunday Times.

After a successful career in journalism Malcolm began practicing law in 1980. He quickly established a reputation as an effective advocate, most notably when he successfully defended former MI5 agent Peter Wright against the British Government, in the "Spycatcher" trial.

Malcolm left law for business in 1987 where he has since been responsible for the establishment and success of many Australian businesses. In particular he has been a determined supporter of Australian technology. He co-founded OzEmail in 1994. His software companies have won many awards for exporting Australian technology.

In 1997 Malcolm was elected to attend the Australian Constitutional Convention. He led the republican case in that Convention and in the subsequent referendum.

Malcolm has initiated numerous policy and research projects in areas such as education, indigenous affairs, home ownership affordability, balancing work and family responsibilities and national population and fertility policy. He has been Chair of the Menzies Research Centre since 2001.

Malcolm married Lucy Hughes in 1980. Their two children, Alex and Daisy attended local schools and have now completed University.

Lucy and Malcolm have been partners not only in marriage but also in their many businesses. Lucy was the first female Lord Mayor of Sydney, a position she held until early 2004.

Malcolm was elected as the Federal Member for Wentworth at the general election on 9 October, 2004. Malcolm has had a long interest in water policy and water conservation in particular. Malcolm was appointed Minister for the Environment and Water Resources on 30 January 2007 having held the position of Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister since 27 January 2006. Prior to that Malcolm was a member of the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade and the House of Representatives Standing Committees on Economics, Health and Ageing and Legal and Constitutional Affairs. "

http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/

What's the bet on King Turnbull being the next PM ??

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: King Turnbull
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 11:51pm

Gee Sprint,

He's really pulled out the trumph card hasn't he?
Wow...there's a new God for the liberal apologists to follow.
Wheel Johnny back out...he'll do it for ya in th end.

It's all BS

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:39am

Hey sprint, you left out the bit about Turnbull begging Paul Keating for a job in the senate as a Labor member to replace Graham Richardson, what is it with the Liberal party rebirthing Labor disscards as their leaders?.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:54am

That makes them sound very confused atheist..I dont think Labor has this problem do they..?

I hope Paul took pity on the poor confused man..but he would not have made a good Labor pollie..that smug dial of his is a bad look.

That only looked good on  Paul...but he had humour to back it up.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:33am

Turnbull told a different story.  He said Keating approached him and asked him if he wanted a job - apparently they were pursuing some common cause at the time.

Turnbull refused politely and said - he wouldn't be good for Labor and Labor wouldn't be good for him - or similar words.

But Turnbull is already contradicting himself.  He's been running off at the mouth saying Labor is talking down the economy and yesterday - finally when Swan was talking about how strong our economy was - he said that we are about to be hit with a major recession and the Government should know this and start being realistic.

He is also a boring orator and peppers his sentences with ahhh, errr and ummm.

But on the other side of the coin - the Greens appear to want to work with him on climate change and claim he is way ahead of Labor on this issue.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 12:47pm

And keating hasn't refuted that and you can bet he would if it was incorrect...

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:56pm

I agree with that grendel, and really if true, it shows us only that he is not a man irretrievably wedded to extreme ideologies along old left/right divides.

I don't mind any one who is up for challenging Rudd's free ride, he has been getting it way too easy from the disjointed Libs, a strong opposition is good for us all.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:13pm

mozzaok wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:56pm:
I agree with that grendel, and really if true, it shows us only that he is not a man irretrievably wedded to extreme ideologies along old left/right divides.
I don't mind any one who is up for challenging Rudd's free ride, he has been getting it way too easy from the disjointed Libs, a strong opposition is good for us all.

Words. Grin  You want Australia run on Words? Huh

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:29pm

Quote:
Words.   You want Australia run on Words?

That's all we've come to expect because that's all we get.  I heard Turnbull again today and even though I didn't disagree with some of what he had to say - he is so boring and long winded.  He really needs to get to the point more quickly because he's just going to send everyone to sleep.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:48pm

Yes the libs have the perfect opportunity to throw in a wild card ...well maybe they're saving it for later....maybe Costello will yet be their saviour?  Shocked

There's plenty of time to go before the next election, but I think the libs need a "shock and awe" to turn things around. I can't see Rudd ever again doing anything more controversial than ogling some strippers and eating his earwax ..ergh.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 8:03pm

To all the whiners who kept complaining that Labor was 'talking down' the economy - would you prefer they had talked it up and people had gotten further into debt and taken more risks?

There are very sound reasons for the reserve bank to try to use interest rates to slow the economy or speed it up at various times. But you can only do so much with interest rates. If our leaders are realistic about the economy and give it to us straight, as Labor has been doing, then it makes the reserve bank's job much easier. On the other hand if they try to keep blowing air into the bubble for some short term political mileage, we'd all be worse off when it finally bursts. Despite the 'economic rationalist' posturing of the Liberals, Labor has been handling the economy far better lately.

At least Turnbull finally admitted that it was a case of realism, not false pessimism.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Turnbull in the weekend Australian
Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:25pm

I'm starting to like Turnbull more and more.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24545459-5012694,00.html

TURNBULL DISMISSES ANY SENSE OF inevitability in politics but there was no doubting his absolute certainty that he should and would be leader. Now that he is, the reign of John Howard truly does seem an age and generation away. It’s not only a matter of a lost election; Turnbull is no conservative cultural warrior, no fierce Liberal tribalist. Even while Howard’s environment minister he fought to modernise the party on the more obvious social issues such as the apology for the Stolen Generations, signing the Kyoto protocol and rights for same-sex couples. As leader, he has retreated on opposing changes to Work Choices in the Senate. But he’s deliberately vague on specifics.

“I think the really big difference between our side of politics and Labor is that we have a much more optimistic view of human nature,” he says. “We celebrate the ability of people to make the best choices for themselves and see the role of the state above all as enabling people to do their best.”

It’s all part of the Turnbull mantra. Flexibility in all things. He hates labels, he says. He has always read widely on political philosophy – his favourite is Edmund Burke – but insists that the key to understanding the Liberal party is to see it as a very practical party. “I certainly live in the here and now,” he says. And that means, more than ever, the main game is the economy. He is not about to be diverted by the lure of his once so passionately pushed republican ideals. Instead, he is content to play mainstream gesture politics every bit as hard as Labor did in Opposition.

in other threads:

Swan taunts Turnbull over 'image' research

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1213767044

Is Malcolm Turnbull anti-Nuclear?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196074773

Malcom Turnbull wins leadership vote...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1221481187/2#2

Turnbull attacks but ducks queries

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1204263279/83#83

Turnbull more popular than Nelson: poll

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196563116/8#8

Turnbull, Garrett to face off in debate

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169517549/561#561

Nuke power is no certainty: Turnbull

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1164173429/91#91

Carbon trading delay is good: Turnbull

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168051896/40#40

Japan spat the dummy, says Turnbull

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168478179/46#46

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print