Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts? (Read 23347 times)
Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Reply #45 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:05am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:11pm:
Maybe not outright denial, but it is the cause of a great deal of discomfort given the centrality of the Platonic Dialogues to Western thought such that many historians and philosophers go to some lengths to persuade the reader that Plato has Socrates et al seeking pleasures only with "unbearded youth" in order to shift the implication of outright paedophilia to something more "acceptable", like having sex with boys from 13 to perhaps 18.

All of which occured under the guidance of the Olypians. Olypians are not Christians... so the point on homosexuality is lost. And whilst it is that Christian theology finds its rationality in greek philosophical reasonings... those reasoning were not of homosexuality, but rather the stratification of society which sees the educated classes as the ruling classes.

In Ancient Athens, and not necessarily greece in general, sex with boys was tollerated. The relationship had for the adult certain responsibilities including education of that male child. Indeed, many a parent, when there boy was of the age, would pay a tutor to take their boy, knowing full well that a sexual relationship would occur. For these parents though, it was the only way they had of improving their families position in society... and family was important... pater familus was a greek concept and actuality before it became a roman way of life.

Quote:
Then there's the promotion of homosexuality in public schools (particularly English public schools) even as recently as the 1960s.

Then enter the Seculartarians some 2 millenia or more latter. Seculartarians are not Christians, but rather Humanitarians, in the main. They have no issues with Homosexuality.... unlike the Abrahamic Faiths.

Public Schools are not Religous schools and indeed in law can never become religous schools, so again the reference to Christians is lost.

Quote:
It would seem that Western culture has a few nasty skeletons in the closet (or boys in the bed) when it comes to "unnatural" sexual practice.

Linking the sexual acts of the ancient athenians with modern pedaphilia is disengenuous Helian... and you are better than this.

Homosexuality is not by definition pedaphilia as well you know. Pediaphilia can result in men persuing little girls or little boys, or women persuing little boys or little girls. Pediaphilia then is not a gender preference as is Homosexuality, Hetrosexuality and Bisexuality.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #46 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:05pm

Sappho, it's quite ironic that you've just posted something about Albanians subscribing to PRE-Islamic beliefs on blood laws, attempting to implicate Islam in the process. Then immediately after you've cleared Christianity of any connection to homosexuality because it's a concept linked to their pre-Christian society/beliefs.

As has been stated, enough times, Islam forbids tribalistic customs that call for vigilantism, as I'm sure Christianity probably does. Whether people in Brazil or Albania, Zanzibar or Columbia practise it has nothing to do with either Islam or Christianity.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:45pm

Quote:
Sappho, it's quite ironic that you've just posted something about Albanians subscribing to PRE-Islamic beliefs on blood laws, attempting to implicate Islam in the process. Then immediately after you've cleared Christianity of any connection to homosexuality because it's a concept linked to their pre-Christian society/beliefs.

I am not disputing the idea that pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim Rural Traditions. I appreciate that they are not of the Koran. None the less, pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim rural traditions.

Quote:
As has been stated, enough times, Islam forbids tribalistic customs that call for vigilantism...

If something is forbidden, then a punishment is also afforded and enacted where the forbidden is done, to deter that which is forbidden.

For example, in most societies Murder is forbidden and a range of punishments can and are applied where it is that a person has murdered.

What then, is Islam doing about these pagen Muslims who disobey to do that which is forbidden? Do other Muslim Nations have an embargo of some kind upon Albania? Have Albanians been cast out of the Islamic fold? Has anything been done to discourage this most terrible of pagen laws?

If not why not? How can something be forbidden and not punished when it occurs?

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:53pm

Sappho wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:05am:
All of which occured under the guidance of the Olypians. Olypians are not Christians... so the point on homosexuality is lost. ...

Public Schools are not Religous schools and indeed in law can never become religous schools, so again the reference to Christians is lost.

Was I arguing that Christianity condones homosexuality or paedophilia? I think we're all aware that both Christianity and Islam condemn the practises. However, their practises are to be found in Christian and Muslim societies (and in probably every other society as well) with varying degrees of societal acceptance throughout history. Poets and philosophers may sing about it and extol it as a virtue, but I would bet that every religion's holy texts forbid the practice.

If you look at some of the paintings in the Vatican museum, you will see that its clear that paedophilic homo-eroticism was at least tolerated within the Catholic Church even by the Popes. This tacit tolerance has continued up to and including the great Pope John Paul II whose protection of Father Marcial Maciel, despite mountains of evidence against him, was an outrage against those boys who suffered, literally, at his hands.  

The Platonic Dialogues, as great as they are, have caused a great deal of discomfort in the modern era, as our understanding of the damage done by paedophilia has become more clear.

Of course, none of this is meant to imply that Christianity or Islam per se condones homosexuality or paedophilia, but the practices have occurred (sometimes with impunity and/or tacit approval) in both Christian and Islamic societies regardless of their respective holy texts’ prohibition.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #49 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:55pm

Quote:
I am not disputing the idea that pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim Rural Traditions. I appreciate that they are not of the Koran. None the less, pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim rural traditions.

I think your claim that they are pagan is a bit of a stretch. The laws themselves probably come from a period when there wasn't a rule of law, and the people had to form tribal councils and so forth in order to bring about any kind of 'justice'. You can say they are primitive, but I don't think it's relevant to say they're pagan. I'm sure some pagan societies had rule of law, and deplored vigilantism.

Quote:
What then, is Islam doing about these pagen Muslims who disobey to do that which is forbidden? Do other Muslim Nations have an embargo of some kind upon Albania? Have Albanians been cast out of the Islamic fold? Has anything been done to discourage this most terrible of pagen laws?
If not why not? How can something be forbidden and not punished when it occurs?

Since the Islamic system ceased being implemented in 1924 (check your history books), who's going to punish them? If the Islamic Caliphate were in existence, I doubt they'd be subscribing to these primitive laws.

A state system which isn't implemented anywhere on earth at the moment, can't punish anything.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #50 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 1:01pm

helian,

Quote:
Of course, none of this is meant to imply that Christianity or Islam per se condones homosexuality or paedophilia, but the practices have occurred (sometimes with impunity and/or tacit approval) in both Christian and Islamic societies regardless of their respective holy texts’ prohibition.

Whilst I appreciate you're just trying to appear 'even handed', I don't think you could back up such claims about Islamic societies. Perhaps Christian societies, I don't know, but certainly not Islamic societies. This kind of filth has never been given any kind of approval under Islam, tacit or otherwise.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #51 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 7:00pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:09am:

Quote:
No, I have no objection to the death penalty.

In that case I find your views to be inconsistent. This means that you consider yourself the ultimate arbiter in which crimes warrant death and which crimes don't. In other words you're just arguing from your own subjective viewpoint and moral code, rather than from an objective viewpoint that finds the concept of the death penalty unacceptable.

Certainly I am arguing from my own subjective point of view, but I certainly do not see it as inconsistant to say I support the death penalty for certain crimes but not for others. I have said that the penalty should match the crime. I have no problem whatsoever with the state killing a murderer but that it should be painless. I see no mileage in torture for no reason. Similarly I would not accept the death penalty for someone who steals a car for a joyride or sleeps with the next door neihbours husband. That is my opinion, yes.

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:09am:

Statements like this one you made earlier on:
Quote:
There is exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc.

Have been rendered completely irrelevant and have made you appear hypocritical in your approach to the issue.
any crime Locutius deems death-worthy, should be dealt with by the death penalty, and crime Locutius doesn't deem death-worthy should be dealt with by "exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc."

I really don't see how this position could make me a hypocrite, I would appreciate your disection of my points to show me.

To suggest banishment as an alternative to death for adultery was simply to illustrate some things that I still might not agree with, but are more acceptable to my sensibilities and concept of justice. Mine. But I consider myself more a humanist and hope for a continued evolution of human interactions between themselves and the world.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #52 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 8:08pm

Quote:
Similarly I would not accept the death penalty for someone who steals a car for a joyride or sleeps with the next door neihbours husband. That is my opinion, yes.

And in the opinion of others, in fact what would've been my opinion not too many years back, the death penalty altogether is wrong, for any crime whatsoever. You can incarcerate them for life, you can banish them, do as you please, but don't kill them.

Do you accept their case against your views is just as valid as your case against the Islamic view?

Quote:
I really don't see how this position could make me a hypocrite, I would appreciate your disection of my points to show me.

Because you accept punishment for those crimes, but you consider the death penalty for them unthinkable, and therefore suggest other punishments that should be used instead. If you are consistent, and you don't accept adultery is a crime, then you shouldn't be suggesting any alternative punishment for it at all.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:40pm

Quote:
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?

As I said before, I don't think any religion including atheism should be blamed for anything or should be given credit for anything. What is the rational of a blame?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:27pm

tallowood wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:40pm:
Quote:
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?

As I said before, I don't think any religion including atheism should be blamed for anything or should be given credit for anything. What is the rational of a blame?

The contention, as outlined in the initial article of the thread, is that generally beliefs motivate action, and specifically that "Islam by its nature cannot be separated from primitive life" and by implication, 'barbaric' acts are rooted in primitive life.
The author says that Islam is as Islam does - and Islam does as it does because it is not a  break from primitive, pagan, tribal life.
And so with any beliefs  - you know them by their actions, and if their actions are primitive and barbaric, then they are also primitive and barbaric. By seeing how people act, you can see what is in their hearts.
Islam continues to motivate primitive action because it is in no way a break from pagan, primitive life. It only reqires ritual, outward signs of adherence - see the 5 pillars of islam, they are all performative - and not any inner conversion or change. Islam leaves the primitive heart unchanged and so that heart can motivate and spur barbaric acts yet remain acceptably Muslim as long as it has carried out the outward signs of submission to a god.
That is what Spengler, the author, is expanding on in this article and some others.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 12:49am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 1:01pm:
helian,

Quote:

Whilst I appreciate you're just trying to appear 'even handed', I don't think you could back up such claims about Islamic societies. Perhaps Christian societies, I don't know, but certainly not Islamic societies. This kind of filth has never been given any kind of approval under Islam, tacit or otherwise.

Homosexuality and paedophilia transcend religious affiliation. They occur in all societies notwithstanding that they are specifically prohibited within religious texts. While neither Islam nor Christianity can be accused of promoting or approving of them, they are practised even sometimes by those who claim to be devout Christians or Muslims.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #56 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:53am

helian,
You can assume and theorise it "must've" existed, but that doesn't make it so. et suppositio nil ponit in esse. Without any actual evidence of any kind, it doesn't mean much. Also you said that it occured with impunity and tacit approval.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #57 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:19am

The 4000 or so men that the Iranians have executed so far, for being gay may have disagreed with you Abu.

It is bizarre that anyone in our modern world would even try and pretend that homosexuality is primarily learned, rather than innate.

What is truly obscene is that primitive boy botherers would be filled with such self loathing as to create a religious system which encourages the murder of people whose sexuality they find difficult to accept.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:13am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:53am:
helian,
You can assume and theorise it "must've" existed, but that doesn't make it so. et suppositio nil ponit in esse. Without any actual evidence of any kind, it doesn't mean much. Also you said that it occured with impunity and tacit approval.

Abu

My point is not to accuse Islam of promoting homosexuality or paedophilia... It is clear that it does not. But to argue that it does not occur within Muslim societies seems to me to be unnecessary denial of the irrefutable. Sexual orientation (either hetero or homosexual) is part of being human and comes before one learns to be Christian or Muslim.

All Muslim societies (as do all other societies) recognise and deal with sexual deviance one way or another from harsh penalties (i.e. death in Saudi Arabia) to lightly or not at all (i.e. Indonesia).

As for sexual assaults on children, unfortunately Muslim societies are not free of this atrocity by virtue of the fact that they are Muslim.

Quote:
A Pakistani minister has revealed hundreds of cases of alleged child sex abuse at Islamic schools, or madrassas.

There were 500 complaints this year of abuse allegedly committed by clerics, Aamer Liaquat Hussain, a minister in the religious affairs department, said.

That compares with 2,000 last year, but as yet there have been no successful prosecutions, Mr Hussain told the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4084951.stm

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #59 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:58am

Abu, I don't believe adultery is a crime at all. It may be a character flaw, it may be someone who is not in a loving relationship, it may be ground for determining who gets custody of children etc.

The alternatives I offered were simply that. That's why I made the point that they are punishments that I might not agree to but find them more acceptable than execution or imprisionment.

Ultimately it is up to your Faith. I would be curious how many would continue to participate in the Faith, if they were shown many of the good things that progressive Western scoiety has to offer and if they could be assured safe passage from their current situation. I dare say, less than what someone in the West may imagine but more than what the Muslim community would claim.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print