Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts? (Read 23353 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Reply #60 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:24pm

Quote:
My point is not to accuse Islam of promoting homosexuality or paedophilia...

You did say it occurred with impunity and tacit approval, just wanted to point out it's not the case.

Quote:
But to argue that it does not occur within Muslim societies seems to me to be unnecessary denial of the irrefutable.

I've not suggested sexual deviancies like this have never occurred, they have, and it's been documented that a few cases of homosexuality were found throughout Islamic history in the court records.

Quote:
As for sexual assaults on children, unfortunately Muslim societies are not free of this atrocity by virtue of the fact that they are Muslim.

I cannot really speak for post-Islamic societies like Pakistan which no longer implement the Islamic state system. My concern is only with the Islamic Caliphate, Islam cannot be held responsible for what occurs in states that were created when the Islamic state system was abolished.

But anyway, for a country of about 170 million, 500-2,000 cases is a pretty small proportion, doesn't make it acceptable, if it's happening then it's an abomination that must be harshly dealt with.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:33pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:24pm:
Quote:
My point is not to accuse Islam of promoting homosexuality or paedophilia...

You did say it occurred with impunity and tacit approval, just wanted to point out it's not the case.

Quote:
But to argue that it does not occur within Muslim societies seems to me to be unnecessary denial of the irrefutable.

I've not suggested sexual deviancies like this have never occurred, they have, and it's been documented that a few cases of homosexuality were found throughout Islamic history in the court records.

Quote:
As for sexual assaults on children, unfortunately Muslim societies are not free of this atrocity by virtue of the fact that they are Muslim.

I cannot really speak for post-Islamic societies like Pakistan which no longer implement the Islamic state system. My concern is only with the Islamic Caliphate, Islam cannot be held responsible for what occurs in states that were created when the Islamic state system was abolished.

But anyway, for a country of about 170 million, 500-2,000 cases is a pretty small proportion, doesn't make it acceptable, if it's happening then it's an abomination that must be harshly dealt with.

Islam cannot be held accountable for the variances in innate human predisposition at all. I know very little about the Islamic Caliphate but I would bet that the occurrence of homosexuality or any other form of sexual orientation or sexual perversion occurred at much the same rate in both societies that implemented the Islamic state system and those that didn't. Religion per se has little or no control over the circumstances of one's genetic composition or congenital predisposition (where it doesn't experiment in eugenics), it can only influence what the adherent does about it.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #62 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:45pm

Quote:
Islam cannot be held responsible
Abu

Do you never tire of repeating that phrase Abu?

If Islam is so perennially unaccountable, then WTF do you bother with it?

Of course non muslims do not buy into the fantasy of, come the revolution, all will be milk and honey, but it is a great excuse for abrogating responsibility for your actions, of which Islam is the grand master.

Seriously, you need to accept that acts by muslims, for the promotion of Islam, or it's teachings, done in allah's name, just may have something to do with Islam. Roll Eyes

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #63 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:11am

helian,
Quote:
I know very little about the Islamic Caliphate but I would bet that the occurrence of homosexuality or any other form of sexual....

The Caliphate is the Islamic state system. It is a state that is 100% ideologically based on Islam, that implements the Islamic Shari'ah and that is a single, non-ethnically-aligned state for all Muslims. It is detailed and prescribed in the Islamic texts, and existed since it's establishment by Muhammad (pbuh) in the 7th. century, from the date of Hijrah (ie. Muslims begin their calenders from the establishment of the Caliphate) until 1924, when it was officially abolished by Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk).

Since Islam is a complete state ideology, a state that doesn't implement it, can't really be presented as an example of the Islamic ideology. But we have 1350 years of continual implementation of the state system, if you need to examine what occurred during it's implementation.

People like mozza (as he expressed in his post above) consider this to be an attempt to avoid scrutiny, but the simple fact is it would be illogical to hold an ideology accountable by the actions of states in which it is not the ruling ideology. And since we have 1350 years of implementation, we have plenty of example to examine anyway, so it's not like it can't be examined and held accountable for what it does and doesn't do.

Quote:
Religion per se has little or no control over the circumstances of one's genetic composition or congenital predisposition (where it doesn't experiment in eugenics)

Islam is much more than what you probably consider a simple religion to be. And Islam has had a lot of success with remoulding people and deterring them from succumbing to base desires. A good example of this is alcoholism, which some would consider to be caused by genetic predisposition also. Islam pretty much wiped it out of society. Although isolated instances of alcoholism did exist, the society largely became 'dry' so to speak. I'd say likewise with homosexuality, although I'm sure you're going to insist it must've existed at roughly the same levels as it does in Western society today, as I mentioned above, just because you suppose that, doesn't make it reality. You can examine the Islamic records, and find it just wasn't the case. You claim it was just merely hidden, but that's just conjecture, and such conjecture simply cannot be quantified.

Quote:
it can only influence what the adherent does about it

Not really. Islamically, we would consider such 'desires' to be a test from God, like we have tests about many other things. And we choose to ignore and repel them, doesn't mean they still exist, as they were merely whispers. It's only when people form this whole culture based around said desires and claim them to be a 'lifestyle' etc. that you consider them to be repressed yet innate tendancies.

We consider it to something akin to alcoholism, or a bad temper, some people might be more disposed to it, but they have the choice on whether to control and expunge the disposition, or to allow it to dominate their lives.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:57am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:11am:
helian,
Quote:
Religion per se has little or no control over the circumstances of one's genetic composition or congenital predisposition (where it doesn't experiment in eugenics)

Islam is much more than what you probably consider a simple religion to be. And Islam has had a lot of success with remoulding people and deterring them from succumbing to base desires. A good example of this is alcoholism, which some would consider to be caused by genetic predisposition also. Islam pretty much wiped it out of society. Although isolated instances of alcoholism did exist, the society largely became 'dry' so to speak. I'd say likewise with homosexuality, although I'm sure you're going to insist it must've existed at roughly the same levels as it does in Western society today, as I mentioned above, just because you suppose that, doesn't make it reality. You can examine the Islamic records, and find it just wasn't the case. You claim it was just merely hidden, but that's just conjecture, and such conjecture simply cannot be quantified.

Quote:
it can only influence what the adherent does about it

Not really. Islamically, we would consider such 'desires' to be a test from God, like we have tests about many other things. And we choose to ignore and repel them, doesn't mean they still exist, as they were merely whispers. It's only when people form this whole culture based around said desires and claim them to be a 'lifestyle' etc. that you consider them to be repressed yet innate tendancies.

We consider it to something akin to alcoholism, or a bad temper, some people might be more disposed to it, but they have the choice on whether to control and expunge the disposition, or to allow it to dominate their lives.

I agree that a religion can shape the person after the brute facts and influence or cause the conscious suppression of behavioural predispositions. Religion is usually very effective at this and the suppression would no doubt be even more effective where harsh penalties were meted out for behavioural deviance. This is true not only of sexual deviance but also for criminal tendencies. If the penalty for breaking a window in anger is 6 months jail, the number of windows broken in anger will quickly drop. Every despot understands this correlation.

Superficially it would appear that deviance had been eliminated or reduced to insignificant levels and so long as the repressive regime remains intact, adherents can claim (spuriously) to have eliminated the unwanted behavioural traits. However as soon as draconian penalties for deviant acts are abolished, the occurrence of the acts will rise accordingly.

To blind oneself to the strong probability that the regime has only suppressed the outward manifestation of the behaviour and has not eliminated it, is to risk making a fool of oneself, as President Ahmadinejad of Iran did when speaking at Columbia University. The fact that Iran continues to impose penalties for homosexuality (and carry them out) indicates that lawmakers are aware that the predisposition has not been eliminated and never can be… only suppressed. After all, there are no laws against flying your elephant within city limits.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #65 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:54am

Well done helian, I think you have summed it up perfectly. I wish I had put the case forward with such common sense.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #66 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:30am

Yes Helian, sadly some do try and suppress natural sexuality through violence.
The 4,000 or so homosexuals who Iran have executed certainly won't be doing it again.

Islam is not alone in this one, there was a poignantly sad you tube clip of a fundy christian teaching how to "beat" the gayness out of children, it was similiar to how Ned Flanders had the badness beaten out of him as a child in The Simpsons.

Aahh The Simpsons, more relevant than any religious text ever written, "save me jeebus" Grin

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #67 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:40pm

Quote:
If the penalty for breaking a window in anger is 6 months jail, the number of windows broken in anger will quickly drop.

Right, so you believe in a world where window breakers should be free to break windows? To run around marching down the streets proclaiming window breaking to be a normal and acceptable part of human society?

Quote:
However as soon as draconian penalties for deviant acts are abolished, the occurrence of the acts will rise accordingly.

Same goes for any crime. That's why we have rule of law, not a utopian paradise in which laws have been abolished and everyone just follows the rules out of mutual love and respect.

Quote:
To blind oneself to the strong probability that the regime has only suppressed the outward manifestation of the behaviour and has not eliminated it, is to risk making a fool of oneself

I don't think these things can be completely eradicated from people's nature, so that they won't occur, but generally people become conditioned to and cultured for them to be suppressed enough. This is what religion and good law hopes to achieve in the long run. It's never a complete solution, and if the state is incapacitated and unable to maintain law and order, then yes some people can revert back to old ways, but generally overall the society should have become accustomed to living by the standards they've adopted.

Quote:
as President Ahmadinejad of Iran did when speaking at Columbia University.

As with the Pakistan example, i'm not particuarly interested in what Mr. Ahmadinejad does in his country. It's not a Caliphate and is therefore not representative of the Islamic ideology.

mozzaok,

Quote:
The 4,000 or so homosexuals who Iran have executed certainly won't be doing it again.

Throughout the whole 1350 year history of the Caliphate, I don't think they ever executed that many. Yet Iran took only 30 years to do that?

I guess that indicates that the Islamic system is far more effective than the Iranian system.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:45pm by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #68 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:46pm

abu, a woman revealing a bit of flesh is not a crime. You can't compare it to willful destruction of property.

What is a crime is a man who can't control himself and assaults that woman.

Here you are abu, whinging about how the governments of the world are destroying freedom, and you think it is perfectly acceptable to stop someone wearing a bikini.

Bravo senor hypocrite.

Edit: I am in the wrong thread, but I think this post makes a semblance of sense.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #69 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:48pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:40pm:
Throughout the whole 1350 year history of the Caliphate, I don't think they ever executed that many. Yet Iran took only 30 years to do that?

I guess that indicates that the Islamic system is far more effective than the Iranian system.

Where's the evidence!!!

If people are doing it out of sight, in their own homes, how have you stopped it?

You get exclusively homosexual rams in flocks of sheep.

Quite clearly God designed it this way.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #70 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:57pm

Quote:
abu, a woman revealing a bit of flesh is not a crime. You can't compare it to willful destruction of property.

If you check who made the comparison, you'd find this comment should be directed to helian, not myself.

Quote:
and you think it is perfectly acceptable to stop someone wearing a bikini.

Likewise your country thinks it's perfectly acceptable to stop someone wearing nothing.

Quote:
If people are doing it out of sight, in their own homes, how have you stopped it?

Since you can't quantify what people are doing at homes in secrecy, you can't really use it as an evidence in a debate.

Quote:
You get exclusively homosexual rams in flocks of sheep.

Since we're not rams, that's not really relevant.

Quote:
Quite clearly God designed it this way

Yes God did permit us to be tempted by such things, as he permitted us to be tempted to eat chocolate until we become diabetics, doesn't mean it's a good idea to act upon that impulse.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #71 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:05pm

Personally I've not been aroused by men or lusted after any. But if you have good for you.

My country does lots of things I don't agree with. I don't have blind faith for any doctrine.

Rams are animals, we are animals, rams do exactly what comes to them naturally, responding to instinct, therefore, God condones homosexuality, men are just scared of it so they say God is against it.

Also, there is scientific proof for homosexuality not being a choice, in humans.

Muslims are big believers in science right?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #72 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:21pm

Quote:
Personally I've not been aroused by men or lusted after any. But if you have good for you

Since I'm a proponent of it being outlawed, and you're a proponent of permitting it, your lame attempt to 'question' my position is just ridiculous.

Quote:
My country does lots of things I don't agree with. I don't have blind faith for any doctrine.

Not just Australia, but most countries on earth prohibit nudity to some extent, some more than others, get over it.

Quote:
Rams are animals, we are animals

Hop off your computer and go graze in the paddocks then. I'm not really interested in debates with livestock.

Quote:
God condones homosexuality

We do not understand what God condones, by what urges and instincts humans might have. Some humans have overwhelming urges to kill, but that doesn't mean God condones it. This is a very flawed attempt at using something you're obviously not qualified to use, logic.

Quote:
Also, there is scientific proof for homosexuality not being a choice, in humans.

People choose to act upon it, as they choose to act upon anything else they might be tempted to engage in. As I already mentioned, people choose to eat chocoloate and junk food until they become diabetics, and there's scientific proof they're genetically pre-disposed to do it, doesn't mean they should be doing it, and doesn't mean society should encourage it.

Quote:
Muslims are big believers in science right?

Yes in science, not in the attempt of a human who thinks he's livestock to use logic.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #73 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:36pm

You said God permitted you to be tempted by such things, it was not a great leap of logic for me to assume that maybe you perhaps have been tempted in the past. Maybe you want it outlawed because you are scared of it and your natural urges?

There are places in Australia where some degree of public nudity is acceptable.

We aren't animals abu? What are we, plants? All creatures great and small...

Well if God makes it natural for you to feel a certain way, then it is natural. An urge to kill is not natural, it doesn't have scientific basis, that comes from the heart not the body.

What if you had a profoundly retarded homosexual person who was placed in a situation where they were permitted and encouraged to engage in a same sex encounter? Would they be making a conscious choice or would they be acting on more primal base instincts?

Because we are so scientifically advanced these days, next time you want to get your wife pregnant, use science, not your body. It will completely eliminate the act and you would not have to lust after your wife. But then again, I'm sure you, just like every other animal on the planet, enjoys acting on their base instincts to engage in sexual acts.

I don't think I'm livestock. I was just showing you where God has created homosexuality.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #74 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:59pm

Quote:
You said God permitted you to be tempted by such things

Actually i said God permitted us, speaking about humanity as a whole. Since you consider yourself one of the livestock, I'll let it go.

Yes God did permit us to be tempted by such things, as he permitted us to be tempted to eat chocolate until we become diabetics,

Quote:
There are places in Australia where some degree of public nudity is acceptable.

That's a rather recent advent, and it's quite irrelevant, because in most places it's not.

Quote:
We aren't animals abu? What are we, plants? All creatures great and small..

We are sentient beings. Different from animals in every single respect. Even though we are built from similar substances, we are not the same. Since you obviously don't seem to believe in God, and you believe that submitting to base desires is fine, that probably doesn't mean much to you.

Quote:
An urge to kill is not natural, it doesn't have scientific basis, that comes from the heart not the body.

Aren't we just animals? With primitive instincts to survive and hunt? Many animals kill members of their own species, so therefore it's natural, and you shouldn't discourage it.

Quote:
What if you had a profoundly retarded homosexual person who was placed in a situation where they were permitted and encouraged to engage in a same sex encounter? Would they be making a conscious choice or would they be acting on more primal base instincts?

What if you had a profoundly retarded person predisposed to diabetes who was placed in a situation where they were permitted and encouraged to engage in excessive consumption of junk food, to the detriment of their health? Would they be making a conscious choice or would they be acting on more primal base instincts?

And further, would we not be wrong in leaving them to do it?

Quote:
It will completely eliminate the act and you would not have to lust after your wife.

Unlike Christianity, lusting after your wife in Islam is not just permitted, it's encouraged, and considered a very normal and healthy activity.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print