Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts? (Read 23329 times)
easel
Gold Member

Re: Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Reply #75 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:08pm

I'm not part of that humanity as a whole then. You can be if you so desire.

How do you know animals aren't sentient? I was just watching 60 Minutes on Sunday and apparantly elephants can be considered human like, with their grieving, death rituals, long memories, holding grudges etc etc.

I believe in God abu, I just don't subscribe to your faith. I have a sneaking suspicion that God, in his infinite love and wisdom, would want us to enjoy ourselves and be happy, not live in fear and oppression.

Show me an animal that kills its' own species for a reason other than during a fight for dominance, furthering their own genes or something similar. If you can find me an instance, where, unprovoked, an animal has killed its' own species for no reason other than bloodlust, I would be very surprised. I've never heard of a serial killer in the animal world.

So now Islam condones lust?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #76 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:16pm

Quote:
Show me an animal that kills its' own species for a reason other than during a fight for dominance, furthering their own genes or something similar

Why the 'other than' clause?

Humans kill for the same reasons, do you think it's ok? Cos it's natural and animals do it too?

Your logic is flawed.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:17pm

I was trying to say animals don't kill their own species for fun or malice.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:29pm

abu, do me a favour and address my entire post. Don't answer a question with a question. Answer the question then ask another question if you so desire.

Surely a man with such 'logic' and 'intellect' as yours should have no problem doing so.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #79 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:39pm

Quote:
I was trying to say animals don't kill their own species for fun or malice.

Since they're just the same as us, why not?

Either way, not all humans kill for those reasons either. So when they do kill for those reasons, do you find it to be acceptable, because it's 'natural'? Do you also think it's condoned by God? Since you say you believe in God, and you adopt the [twisted] logic that any natural urge a human has and responds to, must be an act condoned by God.

Quote:
Don't answer a question with a question

This is quite ironic, since your question was actually your 'answer' to my question.

Quote:
Aren't we just animals? With primitive instincts to survive and hunt?
Quote:
Show me an animal that kills its' own species for a reason other than during a fight for dominance
Quote:
Humans kill for the same reasons, do you think it's ok? Cos it's natural and animals do it too?

Also you'll notice "Humans kill for the same reasons" is an answer.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #80 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:43pm

I'm pretty sure primates don't 'naturally' kill each other on purpose in order for their genes to survive and other such scallywag behaviour.

They do 'naturally' engage in lesbian and gay sex though.

Inside my questions, which are generally quite long, you will notice with your superior intellect and logic, that I have attempted to address your questions and answer them to my reasoning. I haven't just grabbed your question, changed the words and flipped it around to ask you the same question you asked me with different variables.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #81 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:56pm

Quote:
I'm pretty sure primates don't 'naturally' kill each other on purpose in order for their genes to survive

So we're not the same then? Which one is it? You can't have this both ways.

Either we are just animals, in which case our killing would be just natural, like that of other animals, or we're not animals, we're sentient beings, who know right from wrong and have a clear choice in which temptations/instincts we respond to.

Quote:
They do 'naturally' engage in lesbian...

That's probably what it's more related to for you isn't it. Guess this relates to your thread in the Women's Business section Wink

Quote:
I haven't just grabbed your question, changed the words and flipped it around to ask you the same question you asked me with different variables.

Probably because my questions are not so easily turned around and applicable to the opposing view, as yours was. Toughen up your questions, and they won't be lobbed back at ya  Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #82 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:06pm

All animals are similar, but they are not the same.

You can't compare a feline to a ovine, or a canine to a bovine. Well you can.... but not in the sense of all behaviours. A ovine does not stalk and hunt prey, a feline does. However, one thing they have in common is sexual reproduction and sexual urges.

Just like a primate is different from a cetacean. We are primates.

Typical Muslim, everything is related to lustful desires. That is not the case. The point I am making is your religion goes against nature (God) by prohibiting the very things that are normal and in wide occurance in nature.

With your superior intellect and logic, abu, you should not feel the need to flip my questions around, rather you should just answer them and not take advantage of my feeble mind. Maybe you can't answer my questions? Is that the problem?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #83 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:10pm

Quote:
Maybe you can't answer my questions? Is that the problem?

Yep, you got me. I concede.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #84 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:12pm

You concede that post?

So you concede that Islam goes against God?

I guess it must be true, never before have I seen you not defend your faith.

Finally seen the light abu?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #85 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:35pm

I concede what I quoted. I can't answer your questions. That's why I just switched the variables and sent it back at ya.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #86 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:52pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:21pm:
Hop off your computer and go graze in the paddocks then. I'm not really interested in debates with livestock.

Hahaha. I can see you have a sense of humour, Abu... Nothing like a bit of comic relief! Grin

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #87 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 9:48am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:40pm:
Quote:
If the penalty for breaking a window in anger is 6 months jail, the number of windows broken in anger will quickly drop.

Right, so you believe in a world where window breakers should be free to break windows? To run around marching down the streets proclaiming window breaking to be a normal and acceptable part of human society?

No. “Broken windows” was an analogy to illustrate that unreasonably severe punishment will most likely result in the complete suppression of the “crime”. Whether society would consider it just that in order to guarantee windows aren’t broken in anger, its jails would necessarily be filled with window breakers, is another story.

Same goes for any crime. That's why we have rule of law, not a utopian paradise in which laws have been abolished and everyone just follows the rules out of mutual love and respect.
All laws determining a person’s behaviour should be proposed out of love and respect for the individual and society. As a rule, acts that cause no harm to another (and improve the lives of individuals) should not be prohibited.

I don't think these things can be completely eradicated from people's nature, so that they won't occur, but generally people become conditioned to and cultured for them to be suppressed enough. This is what religion and good law hopes to achieve in the long run. It's never a complete solution, and if the state is incapacitated and unable to maintain law and order, then yes some people can revert back to old ways, but generally overall the society should have become accustomed to living by the standards they've adopted.

No doubt with enough prohibition and severe penalties, the undesired behaviour will be all but completely suppressed. How this suppressed desire manifests itself after that is another issue. Perhaps it will appear in a more undesired expression.

If the Caliphate didn't execute 4000 individuals for homosexual acts in its 1350 years, perhaps it tacitly tolerated the practise.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #88 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:06am

helian,

Quote:
Hahaha. I can see you have a sense of humour, Abu... Nothing like a bit of comic relief!

Well he was asking for it, so I couldn't resist spicing up the discussion a little.

Quote:
No. “Broken windows” was an analogy

Right, so transpose my response to your analogy back onto the original issue, and you'll see what i mean. A society, that strives to be chaste and morally upright, would not tolerate such transgressors marching down the streets proclaiming their disgusting activities to be normal.

Quote:
its jails would necessarily be filled with window breakers, is another story.

Not necessarily. If the punishments are stern and serious, then people pretty soon realise it's just not worth it.

Quote:
All laws determining a person’s behaviour should be proposed out of love and respect for the individual and society. As a rule, acts that cause no harm to another (and improve the lives of individuals) should not be prohibited.

That's because you believe homosexuality to be an acceptable behaviour. For many, perhaps most in the world, it is not acceptable, and we consider it to be a crime. Likewise there are things we consider acceptable, which you consider a crime. Not all people are the same, not all people hold the same moral views about things, you must come to accept this. Your moral code is not universal, not by a long shot.

Tell me, do you think incest between consenting adults should also get the same treatment as homosexuality? If not, why not? And do you not realise that the next generation of Australians will most likely (if current trends continue) consider you conservative for opposing incest, as you perhaps consider your parents (not necessarily applicable to your specific case, but on an inter-generational level this is the gap in views and morals that's largely occured) to be too conservative in theirs regarding homosexuality.

Quote:
How this suppressed desire manifests itself after that is another issue. Perhaps it will appear in a more undesired expression.

Or perhaps the inclinations were just a temporary fixation, that the individual will overcome, and they'll go on to have a family and enjoy a normal and happy life. I'm quite aware that you believe a homosexual life to be normal and happy, I however don't, as neither do i believe an adulterous life to be normal and happy.

Quote:
If the Caliphate didn't execute 4000 individuals for homosexual acts in its 1350 years, perhaps it tacitly tolerated the practise

A more likely conclusion to draw would be that it successfully helped people to overcome those desires and inclincations which were just a test for them.

It quite clearly didn't tolerate it in any way, shape or form.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #89 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:53am

Quote:
That's because you believe homosexuality to be an acceptable behaviour. For many, perhaps most in the world, it is not acceptable, and we consider it to be a crime. Likewise there are things we consider acceptable, which you consider a crime. Not all people are the same, not all people hold the same moral views about things, you must come to accept this. Your moral code is not universal, not by a long shot.

Tell me, do you think incest between consenting adults should also get the same treatment as homosexuality? If not, why not? And do you not realise that the next generation of Australians will most likely (if current trends continue) consider you conservative for opposing incest, as you perhaps consider your parents (not necessarily applicable to your specific case, but on an inter-generational level this is the gap in views and morals that's largely occured) to be too conservative in theirs regarding homosexuality.

No abu, homosexuality is natural and condoned by nature. Incest is unnatural and essentially a strictly human condition, excluding those animals with low availability of potential mates. Go have a read about MHC. Incest is completely unnatural, as nature will show.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print