Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts? (Read 23330 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:25pm

By Spengler

Al-Jazeera television on March 9 apologized to viewers after a talk-show guest, Syrian-American psychologist Dr Wafa Sultan, described as "barbaric" the response of Muslims to a Danish newspaper's cartoons about the Prophet Mohammed. "The Muslims' barbaric reaction added to the value of these cartoons. It simply proved their rightness," said Dr Sultan on the Qatari network. "The Muslim is an irrational creature, and the things he learned overpower his mind and inflame his feelings. That is why these remarks have turned him into an inferior creature, who cannot control himself and respond to events in a rational way."

Despite the network’s hasty apology, Dr Sultan’s presence on the show is a sign of the times. The issue of Muslim "barbarism", including honor killings and other forms of violence against women, has risen in prominence in Europe's political agenda. The question appears to be: Do Muslims commit barbaric acts because they are bad Muslims or because they are good Muslims? Does Islam as such promote barbarism or suppress it? Within the vast collection of hadith, or apocryphal sayings of Mohammed, are to be found explicit support for female genital mutilation and wife-beating. Are such barbaric acts a residue of traditional society that persist despite Islam, or because of it?

I shall argue that this is the wrong question, for Islam by its nature cannot be separated from primitive life.

Many Muslims protest that Islamic law does not sanction honor killings, and that other ethnic groups (eg, Hindus in Britain) are guilty of the practice. Honor killings are a repulsive aspect of traditional society. We first hear of such an act in Genesis 34, when after Jacob’s daughter Dinah was seduced by a man of Shechem, after which his sons Simeon and Levi instigated the slaughter of the town’s men. But Jacob denounced the act and still reproached his sons for it from his deathbed.

The Hebrew Bible reports the practice of honor killing, but abhors it. Muslims remain divided on the subject. Strictly speaking, it is true that Islamic law forbids a Muslim family from killing an adulteress or a woman who has had relations with a non-Muslim man. But that is only because Islamic law specifies that Islamic courts, rather than families, should supervise the killing. It is not that women (and sometimes men) should not be killed for the crime of illicit sexual relations, but rather that the Islamic courts should arrange the killing.

For this reason, Islamic law views quite leniently honor killings that accomplish what the courts would have done given the opportunity, and many Islamic commentators do not see why families should wait for the courts at all. Until recently, Jordan gave "honor" killers sentences of as little as six months under Article 340 of the Jordan Penal Code, which stated: "Anyone catching his wife or one of his immediate family in a flagrant act of fornication with another person, and kills, injures or harms both or either of them, will benefit from the exculpating excuse ..."

Jordan's King Abdullah succeeded in revising this language, but as the Associated Press reported last year, "attempts to introduce harsher sentences for honor killings have been blocked in Jordan's parliament, where the predominantly conservative Bedouin lawmakers argue that lesser penalties [than honor killings] would lead to tolerating of promiscuity."

Islamic clerics, to be sure, tend to favor the idea that they rather than families should do the killing. According to a traditional ruling cited by Dr Mohammed Fadel and frequently posted on Islamic sites,
The prohibition against applying a legal penalty without legal authority (bi ghayri sultan) and without witnesses; cutting off the means to shedding the blood of a Muslim based merely upon the claim of his accuser, the one seeking the shedding of the accused's blood. [In this case] the truth of the claim would be known only by [the accuser's] own statement and Allah, may He be glorified and sanctified, has made the life of a Muslim a precious thing, and has made the sin in taking it great as well. Therefore, it [legal punishment] is permissible only under the conditions in which Allah has permitted it. [Application of legal punishments] is exclusively for the government so that it may apply that which Allah has commanded in His book or on the tongue of His Prophet.
There is no question that flogging and execution of adulterers is mandated by the Koran (eg, Sudra 4:15). As I observed in another context, this point is so clear in Islamic law that Professor Tariq Ramadan refused to condemn the practice in a televised debate with then French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy.

All Islamic commentary on the subject, though, applies to the behavior of Muslims in a country under Islamic rule in which the only only law is Islamic law. If no Islamic courts are available, what should an individual Muslim do? Is it then permissible to take the law into one's own hands? We have no clear record of Islamic jurisprudence on the subject, for only in recent years have large numbers of Muslims come to live in non-Muslim countries. But the reticence of Islamic clergy in the West to denounce honor killings is noteworthy.

The rest is here:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JC11Ak04.html

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:02am

Soren wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:25pm:
By Spengler

Honor killings are a repulsive aspect of traditional society.

The Hebrew Bible reports the practice of honor killing, but abhors it. Muslims remain divided on the subject. Strictly speaking, it is true that Islamic law forbids a Muslim family from killing an adulteress or a woman who has had relations with a non-Muslim man. But that is only because Islamic law specifies that Islamic courts, rather than families, should supervise the killing. It is not that women (and sometimes men) should not be killed for the crime of illicit sexual relations, but rather that the Islamic courts should arrange the killing.

I suspected this was the case when Abu insisted that Islam does not support vigilantism, but did not expand to say that these killing did not occur. I wondered what was being left out.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:55am

soren,

Quote:
We first hear of such an act in Genesis 34, when after Jacob’s daughter Dinah was seduced by a man of Shechem, after which his sons Simeon and Levi instigated the slaughter of the town’s men. But Jacob denounced the act and still reproached his sons for it from his deathbed.

So what's the Bible's Halachic punishment for adultery?

You try to claim the Bible doesn't permit honour killings, in fact it abhors it, yet Islam permits it apparently, because the Islamic law considers adultery a capital offense. News: The Bible also considers adultery a capital offense.

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Leviticus 21:9 "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (
This isn't honour killing???
)

locutius,

Quote:
I suspected this was the case when Abu insisted that Islam does not support vigilantism, but did not expand to say that these killing did not occur. I wondered what was being left out.

These killings do occur in Muslim countries sadly, but not with the blessings of Islam, they do so out of their own tribalist ignorance and in direct opposition to Islam.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:01am

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

So yeah, these honour killings aren't gonna happen.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:09am

Quote:
The Hebrew Bible reports the practice of honor killing, but abhors it.

What you quoted easel is not from the Hebrew Bible, it's from the Greek New Testament.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:14am

Ok, I was just speaking on behalf of my Christian upbringing, and recalling the part where Jesus stopped an honour killing.

You are free to attack other religions at whim, abu.

That does not excuse the barbaric acts within Islam.

It's like if I kill someone and say, "Well that guy there did it too 10 years ago, so what's wrong with me doing it?"

You could never use that as a defence in a court of law. Stop passing the buck and defend your religion, rather than attacking others and trying to divert the attention.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:18am

Abu - those quotes are form the OT, that's for jews.
The New T is for christians.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:31am

Quote:
Abu - those quotes are form the OT, that's for jews.
The New T is for christians.

That's right sprint, and soren clearly stated:

Quote:

And then proceeded to give an example from the Hebrew Bible (ie. the  Old Testament).

Easel is the only person who rolled in the issue of the New Testament, so perhaps you should clarify that distinction for him.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Thank you abu, my limited intellect and powers of perception have been rectified by your great insight.

Maybe you can use the same to show yourself that this is a discussion about Islam and it's alleged barbarism and taking the thread off course and on to a discussion about Judaism/Christianity is not the intended direction I assume this article was leading to.

Quote:

Anyway, back to Islam.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:30pm

Easel,

Quote:
That does not excuse the barbaric acts within Islam

But the acts are not 'within' Islam, they are outside of Islam.

By this same twisted logic, Christianity is responsible for homosexuality, because Christian societies condone homosexuality. And in fact Muslim societies don't even condone this barbaric activity. It is committed by some criminals within the society, but in all countries that I know of, it's illegal. Yes it might have light punishments, but the same goes for some Christian countries also, and the point is?

Quote:
taking the thread off course and on to a discussion about Judaism/Christianity is not the intended direction

If it weren't the intended direction of the thread, then it wouldn't have been mentioned in the original post. It *was* mentioned, and therefore it's quite relevant to discuss it in the thread.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:40pm

The acts of violence are sanctioned by Islamic spiritual leaders.

Christianity is not responsible for homosexuality, God is. If a Catholic condones homosexuality, is he/she speaking on behalf of the Church? Or is it only the clergy and the pope who can do that?

I'm pretty sure sodomy between two consenting adults is not illegal in Australia anymore, but I could easily be wrong. The Australian Defence Force accepts gays and lesbians and they were even officially represented at the Mardi Gras, so I think it has government backing in this country.

The article very, very briefly touched on aspects which were not Islamic, and admitted the acts did take place, which were then condemned within the same book, if you read the article.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:27pm

I guess the term 'barbaric' is subjective. As is the term 'justice'. Do I consider the killing of another individual because they have committed adultery barbaric? Yes I do. Therefore by default, I consider it unjust. It is an extreme punishment. More reflective of misoginistic insecurities and/or an arrogant assumption that women are more corruptable than men. Something to do with the fall from grace.

In this specific example, adultery, and this specific Islamic Law that deals with the adulterer than yes, Islam is accountable, but it seems comfortable to be accountable. After all it is their system practiced on their believers. I can't say accepted by their believers with complete confidence however as a penalty of death can be applied to those wishing to leave the belief system. That is my understanding anyway.

HOWEVER

Is the intension to extend this into Islam being responsible for terrorism. By and large I would have to say no. I don't believe you can envelope the entire system in this way. Even though the faith allows for militant and brutal behaviour. The ones responsible are the individuals and the organisations that lay claim to these actions.

The lack of a clear and vocal statement from the various Islamic world leaders that these terrorists are political rather than religious soldiers implies the Faith's concent. To other muslims and the rest of the world. Make it clear that they are NOT going to paradise for murder. The lack of will to bring these groups to justice is also damming to the muslim nations that give them sanctuary. IF I were a person of faith I would want someone bringing my faith down to be bought to heel, hunted down and punished. The same as if a group carried out murder and mayham and claimed it was in the name of the Australian people be hunted down and eliminated.

In exactly the same way that the criminal allied soldiers do not represent their country. The difference is that they are being publically tried and punished and any reasonable person secular or religious would support and welcome that.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:36pm by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:43pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:30pm:
And in fact Muslim societies don't even condone this barbaric activity. It is committed by some criminals within the society,

Interesting that the act of sex between two consenting adults of the same sex is a barbaric activity but killing someone for a misjudgement is acceptable. In fact righteous if decided by council.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Quote:
the act of sex between two consenting adults of the same sex is a barbaric activity

I think you're a little mixed up there mate. What I referred to as a barbaric activity is the so called 'honour killings'.

Quote:
but killing someone for a misjudgement is acceptable. In fact righteous if decided by council.

If you're talking about capital punishment for adultery, it must be determined by a court, not by a council. And it must have at least 4 eyewitnesses, or a confession. Perhaps we can link this back to the circumstantial evidence issue in the other thread... Islam has very stringent rules regarding evidence, when compared to the Western justice system.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Easel,

Quote:
The acts of violence are sanctioned by Islamic spiritual leaders.

They are? Can you bring me a reputable Islamic 'spiritual leader' who's condoned honour killings?

Quote:
so I think it has government backing in this country.

That's precisely the point. Just because a government in a largely Christian country condones it, doesn't mean Christianity condones it. Likewise just because a government in a largely Muslim country has light punishments for murderers who commit these [dis]honour killings, doesn't mean it's condoned by Islam.

Quote:
The article very, very briefly touched on aspects which were not Islamic, and admitted the acts did take place, which were then condemned within the same book, if you read the article.

Actually it mentions the Hebrew Bible alone, indicating it's just talking about Jewish books, not Christian books. You must remember the Old Testament is a complete and seperate book by itself, used by Jews for thousands of years, without ever attaching the New Testament to it. The story mentioned is that of Jacob (pbuh), and Jacob (pbuh) lived in the time of the OT, he knew nothing about Christians, nor about their New Testament.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:50pm

Soren wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:25pm:
for only in recent years have large numbers of Muslims come to live in non-Muslim countries.

And look at the trouble that's started.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:53pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:36pm:
Actually it mentions the Hebrew Bible alone, indicating it's just talking about Jewish books, not Christian books. You must remember the Old Testament is a complete and seperate book by itself, used by Jews for thousands of years, without ever attaching the New Testament to it. The story mentioned is that of Jacob (pbuh), and Jacob (pbuh) lived in the time of the OT, he knew nothing about Christians, nor about their New Testament.

My copy of the Holy Bible has both the New and Old Testaments in it.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 3:17pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:30pm:
Quote:
the act of sex between two consenting adults of the same sex is a barbaric activity

I think you're a little mixed up there mate. What I referred to as a barbaric activity is the so called 'honour killings'.

Yes mate, but in your proceeding sentence you were talking about homosexuality. You skipped subject without signaling. I apologise for misquoting you. At least take some credit for the confusion though.

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:30pm:
Quote:
but killing someone for a misjudgement is acceptable. In fact righteous if decided by council.

If you're talking about capital punishment for adultery, it must be determined by a court, not by a council. And it must have at least 4 eyewitnesses, or a confession. Perhaps we can link this back to the circumstantial evidence issue in the other thread... Islam has very stringent rules regarding evidence, when compared to the Western justice system.

I have heard it refered to as a council, but I'm happy to call it a court. It makes NO DIFFERENCE to the argument. It must be of tremendous comfort for the deceased. At least their dead bodies no longer have the opportunity to offend with qualities of human frailty or misjudgement.  

I also realize that we both have different levels of confidence in our legal system. But please explain further; what is not stringent about the Western Justice stystem's proceedure for dealing with evidence. Yes we can link back to that thread that you are speaking of. That's the one you are second guessing the jury and judge, with only the most microscopic percentage of the evidence heard.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #18 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 3:58pm

Easel,

Quote:
My copy of the Holy Bible has both the New and Old Testaments in it.

Ok, see the part labeled "Old Testament" that's the "Hebrew Bible" which soren's post referred to. Anything after that, is NOT the Hebrew Bible... are you catching on?

Locutius,

Quote:
Yes mate, but in your proceeding sentence you were talking about homosexuality. You skipped subject without signaling.

Well I apologise for any confusion you felt. I just considered it quite obvious that the analogy to Christian society and homosexuality would'nt have been mixed with the origin of the analogy, Muslim societies and honour killings. Also I stated this, which could only logically refer to honour killings, since it's not the case for homosexuality:
but in all countries that I know of, it's illegal. Yes it might have light punishments, but the same goes for some Christian countries also, and the point is?

Quote:
I have heard it refered to as a council,

Yeh perhaps in the tribal mountains of Pakistan, they have councils of elders or something, which organise "punishment rapes" for the sisters of those accused of rape. And I suspect that this is the kind of barbarity you're superimposing on your view of Islam. This kind of uncivilised barbaric tribalism has absolutely nothing to do with Islam. Islam strictly forbids it, and condemned it in the strongest of terms. Muhammad (pbuh) likened the one who carries tribalism, to one who is carrying a coal from the fires of hell.

Quite simply put, there's no such thing as 'honour killings' in Islam, and anyone who practises them, practises them outside of Islam. Likewise I'm sure you don't consider Christians who commit honour killings to be representative of you or anyone in Australian society, right? or even of Christianity.

Quote:
I also realize that we both have different levels of confidence in our legal system. But please explain further; what is not stringent about the Western Justice stystem's proceedure for dealing with evidence.

As mentioned in the thread about those found guilty of terrorism in Australia, circumstantial evidence alone is enough to convict a person. In the Islamic legal system, this is not the case. It must be direct evidence.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #19 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:02am

'Honour Killing' I understand that under Islamic Law it is not sanctioned. It is an illegal act.

But

Is it counted as murder? What would be the penalties for those accused. Would the sentencing reflect the severity of a murder charge. Some here have suggested that the penalties are quite leniant, ergo, condones honour killings by giving it a lighter criminal weight. For instance if one man kills another and recieves 20 yrs prision and one man kills his daughter for converting or having sex outside of wedlock and recieves a fraction of the prision term, Islam can't be seen as seriously against it. I have heard of honour killers recieving 3-6 month sentences.

I have no problem whatsoever with circumstancial evidence. If the Muslim world wishes to only operate on an eyewitness basis that is their perogative. But most modern societies accept circumstancial evidence because the science of investigation and technique has evolved over time. Including things like forensic science and DNA evidence. None of this knowledge and evidence is flawless but that is taken into account by the courts. But there are plenty of studies to show that eyewitness evidence can vary between individuals and is thus also not flawless.

There is an obvious danger as well, that without modern techniques of investigation tying an event or case together, aided by circumstancial evidence, eyewitnesses can get together and make up and agree upon a story to serves their own purposes. I am sure that cumulative circumstancial evidence has in many cases been more reliable than eyewitness evidence.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #20 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:35am

locutius,

Quote:
For instance if one man kills another and recieves 20 yrs prision and one man kills his daughter for converting or having sex outside of wedlock and recieves a fraction of the prision term, Islam can't be seen as seriously against it. I have heard of honour killers recieving 3-6 month sentences.

Firstly we need to be clear that the Islamic legal system ceased being implemented officially in 1924, with the abolition of the Ottoman Caliphate, the last state that actually adopted in totality the Islamic state system. All the successor states, most of them drawn up in the Sykes-Picot agreement, implement a mixture of some European law systems, some Islamic laws and some bedouin laws. It would be noe more appropriate to blame the legislation on Islam than it would on Italy or France (the countries from which most Arab countries take their legal systems).

Yes some predominantly Muslim countries have light sentencing laws for so called 'honour killings', but so do some predominantly Christian countries.

According to the report of the Special Rapporteur submitted to the 58th session of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights (2002), the following countries have legislative provisions allowing for partial or complete defense in the case of 'honour killings': Argentina, Ecuador, Egypt, Guatemala, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Peru, Syria, Venezuela and the Palestinian National Authority.

6 predominantly Judaeo-Christian states, and 5 predominantly Muslim states.

Haiti, Morocco, Brazil & Columbia also have legislation or had legislation in the recent past which diminishes responsibility of those killing their wife caught in the act of adultery.

3 predominantly Christian states, and 1 predominantly Muslim state.

According to human rights lawyer Julie Mertus "in Brazil, until 1991 wife killings were considered to be noncriminal 'honor killings'; in just one year, nearly eight hundred husbands killed their wives."

Quote:
None of this knowledge and evidence is flawless but that is taken into account by the courts.

I have no problem it being taken into account, I just have a problem with it being the SOLE form of evidence that can be 'pieced into a mosaic'. A legal concept that you find to be quite acceptable.

Quote:
But there are plenty of studies to show that eyewitness evidence can vary between individuals and is thus also not flawless.

Agreed, and that's why in the case of capital offenses, Islam requires 4 witnesses, not just 1.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 1:50pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:35am:
Yes some predominantly Muslim countries have light sentencing laws for so called 'honour killings', but so do some predominantly Christian countries.

According to the report of the Special Rapporteur submitted to the 58th session of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights (2002), the following countries have legislative provisions allowing for partial or complete defense in the case of 'honour killings': Argentina, Ecuador, Egypt, Guatemala, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Peru, Syria, Venezuela and the Palestinian National Authority.

6 predominantly Judaeo-Christian states, and 5 predominantly Muslim states.

Haiti, Morocco, Brazil & Columbia also have legislation or had legislation in the recent past which diminishes responsibility of those killing their wife caught in the act of adultery.

3 predominantly Christian states, and 1 predominantly Muslim state.

According to human rights lawyer Julie Mertus "in Brazil, until 1991 wife killings were considered to be noncriminal 'honor killings'; in just one year, nearly eight hundred husbands killed their wives."

You are quite right to point that out. I believe also that even up until late last century, a Spanish man could kill his wife almost with impunity, in what is overwhelmingly a Catholic nation.

Whether Christian or Muslim or tribal it is a barbaric act. And any country that has a judicial system to try such acts and makes exception based on a honour killing defence IS by necessity sanctioning it, at least by varying degrees.

Further a legal system (court)  that kills someone for adultery or the desire to convert is guilty by association to a barbaric act. That is my feeling on it. What are your feeling on this? I am sure this subject has appeared in your discussions with others of your faith. I assume there would be some who support it but are there those that rail against it whether it be vigilante or official court justice.

I say it is barbaric because there are other alternatives to murder. I see it as murder so personally I will use that term. There is exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc.

Quote:
None of this knowledge and evidence is flawless but that is taken into account by the courts.

I have no problem it being taken into account, I just have a problem with it being the SOLE form of evidence that can be 'pieced into a mosaic'. A legal concept that you find to be quite acceptable.

Yes I do. The reservations I might feel about it are catered for by the adversarial system, objective judge and jury of peers and the greater standard required to tie such evidence together. Finally all evidence must meet the criteria of Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. There are certainly in prision who do nor deserve to be there and that is a very bad thing. I believe that most that are there, deserve to be there by a massive majority.

Quote:
But there are plenty of studies to show that eyewitness evidence can vary between individuals and is thus also not flawless.

Agreed, and that's why in the case of capital offenses, Islam requires 4 witnesses, not just 1.

That statistically can also work against the truth. for example 4 different versions but I understand the intent and reasoning for having a minimum number of witnesses.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 9:08pm

[quote]
And in fact Muslim societies don't even condone this barbaric activity. It is committed by some criminals within the society, but in all countries that I know of, it's illegal. Yes it might have light punishments, but the same goes for some Christian countries also, and the point is?

Dear Mr Amadinnerjacket, Islamic Persia was the home of a pederast culture second to none:

"In contrast to the Judeo-Christian West, where marriage has been a metaphor for God’s love since the Biblical Song of Songs, homosexual pederasty was normative for the Sufi philosopher-poets of Islam’s golden age in Central Asia. For Christians, the earthly adumbration of God’s love was nuptial, but pederastic in Muslim Persia. The classic Persian poets, including Hafez and Rumi, pined for beardless boys while their European contemporaries wrote sonnets to women. Some apologists claim that the Sufi practice of “contemplation of the beardless” was a chaste spiritual exercise, but an Egyptian proverb warns: “In his father's home a boy's chastity is safe, but let him become a dervish [Sufi adept] and the buggers will queue up behind him.”

See the sufism, sodomy and satan thread next door. Dear leader Arafat, for crying out loud, was a drooling, slobbering shirt lifter of the first order. So much for revolutionary gun-toting.

And the youth are not far behind him, as it were. When masses and masses of muslims youths are unemployed and so have no hope to marry, and all the girls are off limit and there is only internet porn and the attendant RSI  - who you gonna call? No wonder there is never any shortage of young men going apeshit on the streets of muslim countries. They are frustrated out of their brains. And so its either the beardless youth at hand or paradise.

And look at the picture of islamic paradise. Get your war booty in this life but if you die trying, you will get the same earthly rewards in the afterlife - girls, wine, boys, teasure. It is sensual, bodily,  to the highest degree.

I am amazed you can belive it to be anything but a spur for the illiterate footsoldiers bursing out of Araby in search of slaves, booty and adventure. Spread islam and get rich and get pleasured - in this life or the next. And  I tell ya - you are spiritually superior as well. Can't make it fairer than that. SOLD!

So homosexuality is a small concern and relatively insignificant in the whole scheme of islamic, oriental, exotic pleasure-seeking.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:01pm

Quote:
Whether Christian or Muslim or tribal it is a barbaric act.

Agreed 101% and I hope now you can admit that it has nothing to do with Islam, but is a tribalistic behaviour that happens in many, usually economically depressed and poorly educated, countries, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

Quote:
Further a legal system (court)  that kills someone for adultery or the desire to convert is guilty by association to a barbaric act. That is my feeling on it

If your opposition is to the death penalty, then I can accept your reasoning. If your opposition is just to the death penalty for adultery, then I cannot. Do you believe the death penalty for the Bali bombers is wrong? Or the death penalty for the Rosenbergs? Or any of the other executions that routinely happen in the USA for instance?

Quote:
What are your feeling on this? I am sure this subject has appeared in your discussions with others of your faith. I assume there would be some who support it but are there those that rail against it whether it be vigilante or official court justice.

Prior to becoming a Muslim, I was very strongly opposed to capital punishment. But when you embrace a wholistic belief system such as Islam, you must take it part and parcel. However, from what I have learned about Ottoman law, the death penalty was in some cases commuted to prison sentence in later times, and fornication was one of those cases. And this is something, the  Islamic jurisprudents would need to re-pursue when the Islamic Caliphate is re-established and the Islamic judiciaries are re-instated.

Quote:
I say it is barbaric because there are other alternatives to murder. I see it as murder so personally I will use that term.

If you admit all state executions are murder, then you are quite right in using that term. Otherwise you need to recognise there's a difference between an execution by rule of law and vigilantist lynchings. Is incarceration the same as abduction? I don't think you'd suggest it is.

Quote:
That statistically can also work against the truth. for example 4 different versions but I understand the intent and reasoning for having a minimum number of witnesses.

Yes, and I'm sure when the Islamic Caliphate is re-established, then ijtihad (independant scholarly analysis and deduction) will be performed to see what role the new methods of evidence (eg. DNA, lie detectors etc) would play in the Islamic legal system.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:12pm

soren,

Instead of continuing to project your sick fantasies onto the Muslim 'orient' as many orientalists before you have done, why don't you actually provide a concrete argument to back up your original claims, which quite frankly have been demolished. Perhaps that's why you've abandoned defending them?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #25 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:54pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:01pm:
Quote:
Whether Christian or Muslim or tribal it is a barbaric act.

Agreed 101% and I hope now you can admit that it has nothing to do with Islam, but is a tribalistic behaviour that happens in many, usually economically depressed and poorly educated, countries, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

I have admitted this already in reference to vigilante honour killings but must qualify that if a legal system then applies leniant sentencing for said vigilante action it is sanctioning the act rather than treating it as a henious crime.

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:01pm:
If your opposition is to the death penalty, then I can accept your reasoning. If your opposition is just to the death penalty for adultery, then I cannot. Do you believe the death penalty for the Bali bombers is wrong? Or the death penalty for the Rosenbergs? Or any of the other executions that routinely happen in the USA for instance?

No, I have no objection to the death penalty. But I believe that the punishment should match the crime. A life for a life. I would include the death penalty for treason in time of war and possibly those in public office that betray the common good.

Those that ruin an entire life, such as child molesters should spend the rest of their lives in jail. And so on. Personally, I think court delivered death for adultery or conversion an unacceptable extreme.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:09am

Quote:
I have admitted this already in reference to vigilante honour killings but must qualify that if a legal system then applies leniant sentencing for said vigilante action it is sanctioning the act rather than treating it as a henious crime.

Again, agreed 101%, any state sanction of vigilantism is despicable. But I have a feeling you especially think so in the case of adultery and apostasy and that you still consider vigilante 'honour killings' (and lenient sentences for 'honour killers') to be an extension of the illegalisation of adultery and apostasy. You need to recognise it has nothing to do with it. Likewise vigilante slayings of other kinds of criminals and a state which gives them lenient sentences, have nothing to do with a state that has the death penalty for the crimes those vigilantes believe themselves to be acting against.

Quote:
No, I have no objection to the death penalty.

In that case I find your views to be inconsistent. This means that you consider yourself the ultimate arbiter in which crimes warrant death and which crimes don't. In other words you're just arguing from your own subjective viewpoint and moral code, rather than from an objective viewpoint that finds the concept of the death penalty unacceptable.

Statements like this one you made earlier on:
Quote:
There is exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc.

Have been rendered completely irrelevant and have made you appear hypocritical in your approach to the issue. any crime Locutius deems death-worthy, should be dealt with by the death penalty, and crime Locutius doesn't deem death-worthy should be dealt with by "exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc."

Quote:
I would include the death penalty for treason in time of war and possibly those in public office that betray the common good... Personally, I think court delivered death for adultery or conversion an unacceptable extreme.

What you must understand is that the Islamic texts that prescribe the death penalty for apostasy/conversion clearly state the one who abandoned his religion/ideology and his allegiance to it in favour of the enemy. In other words it is treason. And you must recognise that when dealing with this issue. As you quite clearly stated you believe the death penalty is warranted in cases of treason.

As regards adultery and fornication, since the secular world believe adultery to be a quite acceptable behaviour, and it's not a crime at all, that's why you oppose the death penalty for it. Some nations also prescribe the death penalty for things like drug offenses, when others consider drugs to be fine. There are differing views, and one simply needs to be weary of them when residing in any country that has the death penalty. In Singapore you can be lashed for littering (If I remember correctly) many other countries would consider that barbaric.

Since you're name is Locutius, I'm assuming you're a Star Trek fan (or interested in Roman history), I remember an episode of TNG when Wesley Crusher kicked a ball onto a lawn, in a society where such an act was a capital offense. It created quite the dilemma for Picard, as he had to weigh up the Prime Directive and the boy's life. I think in order to justify your own legal system and it's independance from outside interference, you need to respect the rights of others to do the same, even if you may not agree on their laws. Anyway as I pointed out earlier, adultery and fornication were mostly commuted to prison or fines under the Ottoman Caliphate. There is a book about this, which looks quite an interesting read called In the House of the Law: Gender and Islamic Law in Ottoman Syria and Palestine by Judith E. Tucker.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 8:04am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:12pm:
soren,

Instead of continuing to project your sick fantasies onto the Muslim 'orient' as many orientalists before you have done, why don't you actually provide a concrete argument to back up your original claims, which quite frankly have been demolished. Perhaps that's why you've abandoned defending them?

This is very lame, and slippery as usual when it comes  to the heart of the matter - see topic title. You have been debating the illusrations, (honour killing, death sentence) rather than the point they illustrate.

The point of the article is to argue that "Islam by its nature cannot be separated from primitive life."  Just before you rush to be offended (the usual tactic of those who can't think of a justification for their ccultural practices), the same goes for a lot of other ways of life and beliefs. In the case of islam, howeveer, it is very explicitly tied, unbreakably, to 7th century Arab pagan culture and it has remained pagan to its core despitee its claims otherwise. It is a revealed religion in word only, not in deed.

If you are still looking for the concrete argument, here's the last 3 paragraphs of the article you may have missed:

On the surface Islam mimics Jewish more than Christian practice; Muslims pray five times a day while the Jews pray three times, males are circumcised, a similar dietary code prevails, and so forth. But the inability of Islam to rid itself of the most barbaric practices of the primitive world at the beginning of the 21st century is a hallmark of a parody. The resemblances are strictly on the surface. The primitive world persists in Islam under the Abrahamic veneer, because the religion never offered a challenge to it. A small people (ie the jews) can repudiate the practices of the pagan world, but a religion that absorbs countless peoples by conquest must accept them with their customs more or less intact.

In another respect, Islam parodies Christianity. Unlike Judaism, which seeks to separate Israel from the traditional practices of the surrounding peoples, Christianity proposes to incorporate all of humanity into the new People of God, by effecting an inner transformation of every individual. By this transformation, Christians believe, all of humanity can become holy. Islam offers a universal religion not of inner transformation but of obedience. Precisely this form of surface universalism ensures that Muslims carry the baggage of traditional life into the new religion, for it offers no point of departure from traditional society.
For this reason it is meaningless to ask whether Islam opposes or promotes the practices of traditional society, for its method of expansion is to absorb whole the societies within its power. As a universal religion, it can only universalize the aspirations of the tribes it assimilates, rather than transform them. At its worst, Christianity makes compromises with the pagan heritage of its converts, which is why Sicilian Catholics killed for honor until recently; at its best, Islam embodies this pagan heritage, which is why it cannot rid itself of barbarism today.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:47am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:12pm:
soren,

Instead of continuing to project your sick fantasies onto the Muslim 'orient' as many orientalists before you have done, why don't you actually provide a concrete argument to back up your original claims.

Vey well...

As a rule, the beloved [in medieval Persian poetry] is not a woman, but a young man. In the early centuries of Islam, the raids into Central Asia produced many young slaves. Slaves were also bought or received as gifts. They were made to serve as pages at court or in the households of the affluent, or as soldiers and body-guards. Young men, slaves or not, also, served wine at banquets and receptions, and the more gifted among them could play music and maintain a cultivated conversation. It was love toward young pages, soldiers, or novices in trades and professions which was the subject of lyrical introductions to panegyrics from the beginning of Persian poetry, and of the ghazal.

Yar-Shater, Ehsan. 1986. Persian Poetry in the Timurid and Safavid Periods, in Cambridge History of Iran. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1986, pp 973-974.

My sweetheart is a beauty and a child, and I fear that in play one day
He will kill me miserably and he will not be accountable according to the holy law.
I have a fourteen year old idol, sweet and nimble
For whom the full moon is a willing slave.
His sweet lips have (still) the scent of milk
Even though the demeanor of his dark eyes drips blood.

(Hafez, 14th century)

Some 1,200 years before the summer of 1968 Abu Nawas -- court laureate of the celebrated Caliph Harun Al-Rashid -- penned hundreds of homoerotic poems. As scholars have noted, Abu Nawas's homoerotic ( mudhakkarat ) poetry was long accessible across the Arab world and it was not before 1932 that the first expurgated edition of his verse was printed in Cairo.

(Al_Ahram Weekly 4 - 10 May 2006 Issue No. 793)

In this context, sexual behaviors were conceived simply as pleasure taken at the expense of a subordinate, not as an experience shared between equals. This conceptualization is evident even in texts used for the interpretation of dreams. "If a man dreams of being the insertive partner, great goodness and profit will come his way; but if he dreams of being penetrated, he will soon be overpowered and subjected to great humiliation" (Wright & Rowson, p. 61). It is implicit in these texts that the gender of the receptive partner, although important, was less important than the role one played. For some, women and boys, being of lower status, were nearly interchangeable.

But see also:
Encyclopedia of Women & Islamic Cultures By Suad Joseph, Afsaneh Najmabadi
L Crompton - Islamic Homosexualities: Culture, History, and Literature, 1997
Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 By Khaled El-Rouayheb
L OUZGANE - Islamic Masculinities, 2006

And so on and so forth. (Imagine how long a list I would give you if I were gay with a bee in my bonnet about Muslims!)

In time-tested fashion, the good muslim will contort himself and resort to invective to deny something as plain and obvious as the nose on his face.  This is why the Koran and Mohammed, and by extension islam, cannot be questioned (that would be disrespectful and insulting and we know what awaits people who do that, don't we.) - who knows what might come to light. Dogma (fantasy) must prevail over life, facts and reality.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:59am

... And then there's the Platonic Dialogues, such as The Symposium...

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #30 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:22pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:59am:

And nobody lives in denial about that, thanks be to the gods.

Oh, and mustn't forget Sappho. We in the west are stricktly equal-opportunity, especially when it comes to the ladies.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Soren wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:22pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:59am:

And nobody lives in denial about that, thanks be to the gods.

Maybe not outright denial, but it is the cause of a great deal of discomfort given the centrality of the Platonic Dialogues to Western thought such that many historians and philosophers go to some lengths to persuade the reader that Plato has Socrates et al seeking pleasures only with "unbearded youth" in order to shift the implication of outright paedophilia to something more "acceptable", like having sex with boys from 13 to perhaps 18.

Then there's the promotion of homosexuality in public schools (particularly English public schools) even as recently as the 1960s.

It would seem that Western culture has a few nasty skeletons in the closet (or boys in the bed) when it comes to "unnatural" sexual practice.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:51pm

Undeniably (although 'promotion' of homosexuality in english public schools is an unnecessary overstatement.)

At any rate, we know about all of them ignoble taints from western sources because it is within its tradition to be unafraid to examine, criticise, denounce if necessary and ultimately correct aspects of both its religious (Judeo-Christian) and cultural (classical, medieval, modern) sources and heritage.  Islam is unable to do any of this.

That is the point.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:13pm

Well, the ordinary muslim, like the ordinary christian or jew, has to accept their share of responsibility for what is done in their religions' name.

Here is a british comedian who touches on this point, toward the end of his seven minute rant against religion, all very funny, but also sadly falling on too many deaf ears.

As he says, the rank and file, are the power base for the religions, without which, the extremists would just be seen as isolated nutters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-ZrwFwLQg&feature=related

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:28pm

Good if a bit light and fluffy.  I think this british comedian is much sharper and more incisive. And very funny.

Appeasing Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9dXGJ2rYdA&feature=related

The trouble with Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhN6CG1zCRc

More demands from Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHh0NdR5Jh0&feature=related

The religion of fear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_qelW5qp4&feature=related

And funny as well. Very funny.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:31pm

Can someone please tell me, from a religious perspective, what is wrong with 'fornication'?

If two consenting adults, who have intense physical or emotional feelings for each other, which to make each other enjoy themselves, and are not hurting anyone in any way, shape or form, commit such an act, which GOD has made for them to enjoy, what are they doing wrong?

I refuse to believe for one minute that an all loving God would make something fun and then condemn you for doing it. Do you think in Heaven, where you are supposed to live a life of eternal bliss, you are punished for feeling good about yourself?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:46pm

And this one.

What about the Jews?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vaw658Bow8&feature=related

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Soren wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:51pm:
At any rate, we know about all of them ignoble taints from western sources because it is within its tradition to be unafraid to examine, criticise, denounce if necessary and ultimately correct aspects of both its religious (Judeo-Christian) and cultural (classical, medieval, modern) sources and heritage.  Islam is unable to do any of this.

That is the point.

I don't know one way or the other if "Islam" is unable to do any of that, but as you are able to quote from Arabic or Muslim sources above, clearly "Islam" didn't destroy them. And its thanks to Muslims for preserving Plato's Dialogues what's left of Aristotle's writings after Christian Europe lost or destroyed them that they could be reintroduced to the West... without Muslim preservation of these "secular holy books" we would be unable to examine, criticise, denounce them if necessary.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:51pm

Soren wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:28pm:
Good if a bit light and fluffy.  I think this british comedian is much sharper and more incisive. And very funny.

Appeasing Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9dXGJ2rYdA&feature=related

The trouble with Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhN6CG1zCRc

More demands from Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHh0NdR5Jh0&feature=related

The religion of fear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_qelW5qp4&feature=related

And funny as well. Very funny.

Yep we've done Pat Condell here before, (or was it on Cracker?) Very sharp witted.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #39 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 4:55pm

helian,

Quote:
but as you are able to quote from Arabic or Muslim sources above,

Don't be stooged by this fraudster. He didn't quote from any Arabic or Muslim sources at all.

If you look closely, although he might have tried to insert a Persian or Arabic name in here or there, most of his quotations don't even have references. And the ones that do, come pretty much solely from Western orientalist sources, the same ones that tried to conjure up images of wild orgies in harems and so forth.

Quote:
Cambridge History of Iran. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press

Quite obviously a British book.

Quote:
Hafez, 14th century

Who was Hafez? And which book is it from?

Quote:

A Cairo based English newspaper. But it doesn't even contain any quotes, just claims.

Quote:
(Wright & Rowson, p. 61)

Muhammad Wright and Ahmad Rowson? Smiley

If you actually put this guy under scrutiny helian, you'll see he's full of it. He gleaned it all off wikipedia and most of it is just orientalist propaganda that has little basis in the real world. It was mostly (if not all) written by Europeans, not by Muslims, as propaganda against Islam back in a time when homosexuality was still forbidden in Europe.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2008 at 5:07pm by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 6:29pm

mozzaok - that was a good clip with the comedian.
many an honest word said in humour

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 8:37pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 4:55pm:
[quote] come pretty much solely from Western orientalist sources,

There is now a new thread on the intellectual terrorism of 'orientalism'

Quote:
Quite obviously a British book.

British book - what a horrible thing. They speak your languagee, the bastards.

Quote:
Who was Hafez? And which book is it from?

It's fotnoted in the Spengler article at the beginning of thee thread. Don't be lazy, look it up. Put it into Google Scholar and be amazed.

Quote:
A Cairo based English newspaper. But it doesn't even contain any quotes, just claims.

A Cairo newspaper's English language version. Al Ahram is an Egyptian paper, not an English one. Not the same my dear slippery dissemler.

Quote:
It was mostly (if not all) written by Europeans, not by Muslims,

There's a new, hitherto unknown standard of scholarly integrity. Must be Muslim to speak about Muslims. Mr Rashid, note to self - must be western secular democrat before speaking on matters pertaining to it; jew to speak on jews, American to speak on - you get the prnciple since you invented it.

The thing is, there is no open scholarly debate around Muslim issues because any critic will stub his toes on 'disrespect' of islam and Mohammed sooner rather than later. The invective, the snarling, spitting rage wwill be unleashed in the palce of aa reasonable self-composed explanation - if one exists. Doubt is widespread.

The 7th century into the 21st will not go. Fight it and be seen for what you are - or accept it - and not be what you are.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #42 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Quote:
There's a new, hitherto unknown standard of scholarly integrity. Must be Muslim to speak about Muslims.

There's a difference between speaking about and claiming to speak on behalf of. You claim, out of some sick fantasy of your own, that Islam supposedly permits homosexuality, and your only evidence is Western orientalist writings, and their translation of a poem by a drunkard Persian which 'alludes' to something of a homoerotic nature...

When your Western orientalist sources are questioned, you proclaim that Muslims don't allow anyone to speak about them. You've claimed something about Muslims, and your only evidence is the words of the mortal enemies, at that time, of the Muslim world... Not very convincing, sorry.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 7:40am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:19pm:
[quote]
There's a difference between speaking about and claiming to speak on behalf of.

That is a stock answer from the ready repertoire of muslim rhetoric and so it does not fit. I have never claimed to speak on behalf of anyone, let alone muslims.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:19am

And in fact Muslim societies don't even condone this barbaric activity. It is committed by some criminals within the society,

Albanians are 70% approx Muslim and also uphold the Blood Laws of their peoples to the letter, including the intermediatary that acts to find an alturnative resolution or ensure the blood law is followed correctly.

Would you like a link, or can you navigate your way to the laws and customs I speak of?

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:05am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:11pm:
Maybe not outright denial, but it is the cause of a great deal of discomfort given the centrality of the Platonic Dialogues to Western thought such that many historians and philosophers go to some lengths to persuade the reader that Plato has Socrates et al seeking pleasures only with "unbearded youth" in order to shift the implication of outright paedophilia to something more "acceptable", like having sex with boys from 13 to perhaps 18.

All of which occured under the guidance of the Olypians. Olypians are not Christians... so the point on homosexuality is lost. And whilst it is that Christian theology finds its rationality in greek philosophical reasonings... those reasoning were not of homosexuality, but rather the stratification of society which sees the educated classes as the ruling classes.

In Ancient Athens, and not necessarily greece in general, sex with boys was tollerated. The relationship had for the adult certain responsibilities including education of that male child. Indeed, many a parent, when there boy was of the age, would pay a tutor to take their boy, knowing full well that a sexual relationship would occur. For these parents though, it was the only way they had of improving their families position in society... and family was important... pater familus was a greek concept and actuality before it became a roman way of life.

Quote:
Then there's the promotion of homosexuality in public schools (particularly English public schools) even as recently as the 1960s.

Then enter the Seculartarians some 2 millenia or more latter. Seculartarians are not Christians, but rather Humanitarians, in the main. They have no issues with Homosexuality.... unlike the Abrahamic Faiths.

Public Schools are not Religous schools and indeed in law can never become religous schools, so again the reference to Christians is lost.

Quote:
It would seem that Western culture has a few nasty skeletons in the closet (or boys in the bed) when it comes to "unnatural" sexual practice.

Linking the sexual acts of the ancient athenians with modern pedaphilia is disengenuous Helian... and you are better than this.

Homosexuality is not by definition pedaphilia as well you know. Pediaphilia can result in men persuing little girls or little boys, or women persuing little boys or little girls. Pediaphilia then is not a gender preference as is Homosexuality, Hetrosexuality and Bisexuality.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #46 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:05pm

Sappho, it's quite ironic that you've just posted something about Albanians subscribing to PRE-Islamic beliefs on blood laws, attempting to implicate Islam in the process. Then immediately after you've cleared Christianity of any connection to homosexuality because it's a concept linked to their pre-Christian society/beliefs.

As has been stated, enough times, Islam forbids tribalistic customs that call for vigilantism, as I'm sure Christianity probably does. Whether people in Brazil or Albania, Zanzibar or Columbia practise it has nothing to do with either Islam or Christianity.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:45pm

Quote:
Sappho, it's quite ironic that you've just posted something about Albanians subscribing to PRE-Islamic beliefs on blood laws, attempting to implicate Islam in the process. Then immediately after you've cleared Christianity of any connection to homosexuality because it's a concept linked to their pre-Christian society/beliefs.

I am not disputing the idea that pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim Rural Traditions. I appreciate that they are not of the Koran. None the less, pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim rural traditions.

Quote:
As has been stated, enough times, Islam forbids tribalistic customs that call for vigilantism...

If something is forbidden, then a punishment is also afforded and enacted where the forbidden is done, to deter that which is forbidden.

For example, in most societies Murder is forbidden and a range of punishments can and are applied where it is that a person has murdered.

What then, is Islam doing about these pagen Muslims who disobey to do that which is forbidden? Do other Muslim Nations have an embargo of some kind upon Albania? Have Albanians been cast out of the Islamic fold? Has anything been done to discourage this most terrible of pagen laws?

If not why not? How can something be forbidden and not punished when it occurs?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:53pm

Sappho wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:05am:
All of which occured under the guidance of the Olypians. Olypians are not Christians... so the point on homosexuality is lost. ...

Public Schools are not Religous schools and indeed in law can never become religous schools, so again the reference to Christians is lost.

Was I arguing that Christianity condones homosexuality or paedophilia? I think we're all aware that both Christianity and Islam condemn the practises. However, their practises are to be found in Christian and Muslim societies (and in probably every other society as well) with varying degrees of societal acceptance throughout history. Poets and philosophers may sing about it and extol it as a virtue, but I would bet that every religion's holy texts forbid the practice.

If you look at some of the paintings in the Vatican museum, you will see that its clear that paedophilic homo-eroticism was at least tolerated within the Catholic Church even by the Popes. This tacit tolerance has continued up to and including the great Pope John Paul II whose protection of Father Marcial Maciel, despite mountains of evidence against him, was an outrage against those boys who suffered, literally, at his hands.  

The Platonic Dialogues, as great as they are, have caused a great deal of discomfort in the modern era, as our understanding of the damage done by paedophilia has become more clear.

Of course, none of this is meant to imply that Christianity or Islam per se condones homosexuality or paedophilia, but the practices have occurred (sometimes with impunity and/or tacit approval) in both Christian and Islamic societies regardless of their respective holy texts’ prohibition.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #49 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 12:55pm

Quote:
I am not disputing the idea that pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim Rural Traditions. I appreciate that they are not of the Koran. None the less, pagen blood laws permiate the Albanian Muslim rural traditions.

I think your claim that they are pagan is a bit of a stretch. The laws themselves probably come from a period when there wasn't a rule of law, and the people had to form tribal councils and so forth in order to bring about any kind of 'justice'. You can say they are primitive, but I don't think it's relevant to say they're pagan. I'm sure some pagan societies had rule of law, and deplored vigilantism.

Quote:
What then, is Islam doing about these pagen Muslims who disobey to do that which is forbidden? Do other Muslim Nations have an embargo of some kind upon Albania? Have Albanians been cast out of the Islamic fold? Has anything been done to discourage this most terrible of pagen laws?
If not why not? How can something be forbidden and not punished when it occurs?

Since the Islamic system ceased being implemented in 1924 (check your history books), who's going to punish them? If the Islamic Caliphate were in existence, I doubt they'd be subscribing to these primitive laws.

A state system which isn't implemented anywhere on earth at the moment, can't punish anything.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #50 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 1:01pm

helian,

Quote:
Of course, none of this is meant to imply that Christianity or Islam per se condones homosexuality or paedophilia, but the practices have occurred (sometimes with impunity and/or tacit approval) in both Christian and Islamic societies regardless of their respective holy texts’ prohibition.

Whilst I appreciate you're just trying to appear 'even handed', I don't think you could back up such claims about Islamic societies. Perhaps Christian societies, I don't know, but certainly not Islamic societies. This kind of filth has never been given any kind of approval under Islam, tacit or otherwise.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #51 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 7:00pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:09am:

Quote:
No, I have no objection to the death penalty.

In that case I find your views to be inconsistent. This means that you consider yourself the ultimate arbiter in which crimes warrant death and which crimes don't. In other words you're just arguing from your own subjective viewpoint and moral code, rather than from an objective viewpoint that finds the concept of the death penalty unacceptable.

Certainly I am arguing from my own subjective point of view, but I certainly do not see it as inconsistant to say I support the death penalty for certain crimes but not for others. I have said that the penalty should match the crime. I have no problem whatsoever with the state killing a murderer but that it should be painless. I see no mileage in torture for no reason. Similarly I would not accept the death penalty for someone who steals a car for a joyride or sleeps with the next door neihbours husband. That is my opinion, yes.

Statements like this one you made earlier on:
Quote:
There is exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc.

Have been rendered completely irrelevant and have made you appear hypocritical in your approach to the issue.
any crime Locutius deems death-worthy, should be dealt with by the death penalty, and crime Locutius doesn't deem death-worthy should be dealt with by "exile, banishment, persona non grata, redemption, pious duty, conversion etc."

I really don't see how this position could make me a hypocrite, I would appreciate your disection of my points to show me.

To suggest banishment as an alternative to death for adultery was simply to illustrate some things that I still might not agree with, but are more acceptable to my sensibilities and concept of justice. Mine. But I consider myself more a humanist and hope for a continued evolution of human interactions between themselves and the world.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #52 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 8:08pm

Quote:
Similarly I would not accept the death penalty for someone who steals a car for a joyride or sleeps with the next door neihbours husband. That is my opinion, yes.

And in the opinion of others, in fact what would've been my opinion not too many years back, the death penalty altogether is wrong, for any crime whatsoever. You can incarcerate them for life, you can banish them, do as you please, but don't kill them.

Do you accept their case against your views is just as valid as your case against the Islamic view?

Quote:
I really don't see how this position could make me a hypocrite, I would appreciate your disection of my points to show me.

Because you accept punishment for those crimes, but you consider the death penalty for them unthinkable, and therefore suggest other punishments that should be used instead. If you are consistent, and you don't accept adultery is a crime, then you shouldn't be suggesting any alternative punishment for it at all.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:40pm

Quote:

As I said before, I don't think any religion including atheism should be blamed for anything or should be given credit for anything. What is the rational of a blame?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:27pm

tallowood wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:40pm:
Quote:

As I said before, I don't think any religion including atheism should be blamed for anything or should be given credit for anything. What is the rational of a blame?

The contention, as outlined in the initial article of the thread, is that generally beliefs motivate action, and specifically that "Islam by its nature cannot be separated from primitive life" and by implication, 'barbaric' acts are rooted in primitive life.
The author says that Islam is as Islam does - and Islam does as it does because it is not a  break from primitive, pagan, tribal life.
And so with any beliefs  - you know them by their actions, and if their actions are primitive and barbaric, then they are also primitive and barbaric. By seeing how people act, you can see what is in their hearts.
Islam continues to motivate primitive action because it is in no way a break from pagan, primitive life. It only reqires ritual, outward signs of adherence - see the 5 pillars of islam, they are all performative - and not any inner conversion or change. Islam leaves the primitive heart unchanged and so that heart can motivate and spur barbaric acts yet remain acceptably Muslim as long as it has carried out the outward signs of submission to a god.
That is what Spengler, the author, is expanding on in this article and some others.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 12:49am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 1:01pm:
helian,

Quote:

Whilst I appreciate you're just trying to appear 'even handed', I don't think you could back up such claims about Islamic societies. Perhaps Christian societies, I don't know, but certainly not Islamic societies. This kind of filth has never been given any kind of approval under Islam, tacit or otherwise.

Homosexuality and paedophilia transcend religious affiliation. They occur in all societies notwithstanding that they are specifically prohibited within religious texts. While neither Islam nor Christianity can be accused of promoting or approving of them, they are practised even sometimes by those who claim to be devout Christians or Muslims.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #56 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:53am

helian,
You can assume and theorise it "must've" existed, but that doesn't make it so. et suppositio nil ponit in esse. Without any actual evidence of any kind, it doesn't mean much. Also you said that it occured with impunity and tacit approval.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #57 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:19am

The 4000 or so men that the Iranians have executed so far, for being gay may have disagreed with you Abu.

It is bizarre that anyone in our modern world would even try and pretend that homosexuality is primarily learned, rather than innate.

What is truly obscene is that primitive boy botherers would be filled with such self loathing as to create a religious system which encourages the murder of people whose sexuality they find difficult to accept.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:13am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:53am:
helian,
You can assume and theorise it "must've" existed, but that doesn't make it so. et suppositio nil ponit in esse. Without any actual evidence of any kind, it doesn't mean much. Also you said that it occured with impunity and tacit approval.

Abu

My point is not to accuse Islam of promoting homosexuality or paedophilia... It is clear that it does not. But to argue that it does not occur within Muslim societies seems to me to be unnecessary denial of the irrefutable. Sexual orientation (either hetero or homosexual) is part of being human and comes before one learns to be Christian or Muslim.

All Muslim societies (as do all other societies) recognise and deal with sexual deviance one way or another from harsh penalties (i.e. death in Saudi Arabia) to lightly or not at all (i.e. Indonesia).

As for sexual assaults on children, unfortunately Muslim societies are not free of this atrocity by virtue of the fact that they are Muslim.

Quote:
A Pakistani minister has revealed hundreds of cases of alleged child sex abuse at Islamic schools, or madrassas.

There were 500 complaints this year of abuse allegedly committed by clerics, Aamer Liaquat Hussain, a minister in the religious affairs department, said.

That compares with 2,000 last year, but as yet there have been no successful prosecutions, Mr Hussain told the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4084951.stm

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #59 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:58am

Abu, I don't believe adultery is a crime at all. It may be a character flaw, it may be someone who is not in a loving relationship, it may be ground for determining who gets custody of children etc.

The alternatives I offered were simply that. That's why I made the point that they are punishments that I might not agree to but find them more acceptable than execution or imprisionment.

Ultimately it is up to your Faith. I would be curious how many would continue to participate in the Faith, if they were shown many of the good things that progressive Western scoiety has to offer and if they could be assured safe passage from their current situation. I dare say, less than what someone in the West may imagine but more than what the Muslim community would claim.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #60 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:24pm

Quote:
My point is not to accuse Islam of promoting homosexuality or paedophilia...

You did say it occurred with impunity and tacit approval, just wanted to point out it's not the case.

Quote:
But to argue that it does not occur within Muslim societies seems to me to be unnecessary denial of the irrefutable.

I've not suggested sexual deviancies like this have never occurred, they have, and it's been documented that a few cases of homosexuality were found throughout Islamic history in the court records.

Quote:
As for sexual assaults on children, unfortunately Muslim societies are not free of this atrocity by virtue of the fact that they are Muslim.

I cannot really speak for post-Islamic societies like Pakistan which no longer implement the Islamic state system. My concern is only with the Islamic Caliphate, Islam cannot be held responsible for what occurs in states that were created when the Islamic state system was abolished.

But anyway, for a country of about 170 million, 500-2,000 cases is a pretty small proportion, doesn't make it acceptable, if it's happening then it's an abomination that must be harshly dealt with.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:33pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:24pm:
Quote:
My point is not to accuse Islam of promoting homosexuality or paedophilia...

You did say it occurred with impunity and tacit approval, just wanted to point out it's not the case.

Quote:
But to argue that it does not occur within Muslim societies seems to me to be unnecessary denial of the irrefutable.

I've not suggested sexual deviancies like this have never occurred, they have, and it's been documented that a few cases of homosexuality were found throughout Islamic history in the court records.

Quote:

I cannot really speak for post-Islamic societies like Pakistan which no longer implement the Islamic state system. My concern is only with the Islamic Caliphate, Islam cannot be held responsible for what occurs in states that were created when the Islamic state system was abolished.

But anyway, for a country of about 170 million, 500-2,000 cases is a pretty small proportion, doesn't make it acceptable, if it's happening then it's an abomination that must be harshly dealt with.

Islam cannot be held accountable for the variances in innate human predisposition at all. I know very little about the Islamic Caliphate but I would bet that the occurrence of homosexuality or any other form of sexual orientation or sexual perversion occurred at much the same rate in both societies that implemented the Islamic state system and those that didn't. Religion per se has little or no control over the circumstances of one's genetic composition or congenital predisposition (where it doesn't experiment in eugenics), it can only influence what the adherent does about it.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #62 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:45pm

Quote:
Islam cannot be held responsible
Abu

Do you never tire of repeating that phrase Abu?

If Islam is so perennially unaccountable, then WTF do you bother with it?

Of course non muslims do not buy into the fantasy of, come the revolution, all will be milk and honey, but it is a great excuse for abrogating responsibility for your actions, of which Islam is the grand master.

Seriously, you need to accept that acts by muslims, for the promotion of Islam, or it's teachings, done in allah's name, just may have something to do with Islam. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #63 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:11am

helian,
Quote:
I know very little about the Islamic Caliphate but I would bet that the occurrence of homosexuality or any other form of sexual....

The Caliphate is the Islamic state system. It is a state that is 100% ideologically based on Islam, that implements the Islamic Shari'ah and that is a single, non-ethnically-aligned state for all Muslims. It is detailed and prescribed in the Islamic texts, and existed since it's establishment by Muhammad (pbuh) in the 7th. century, from the date of Hijrah (ie. Muslims begin their calenders from the establishment of the Caliphate) until 1924, when it was officially abolished by Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk).

Since Islam is a complete state ideology, a state that doesn't implement it, can't really be presented as an example of the Islamic ideology. But we have 1350 years of continual implementation of the state system, if you need to examine what occurred during it's implementation.

People like mozza (as he expressed in his post above) consider this to be an attempt to avoid scrutiny, but the simple fact is it would be illogical to hold an ideology accountable by the actions of states in which it is not the ruling ideology. And since we have 1350 years of implementation, we have plenty of example to examine anyway, so it's not like it can't be examined and held accountable for what it does and doesn't do.

Quote:
Religion per se has little or no control over the circumstances of one's genetic composition or congenital predisposition (where it doesn't experiment in eugenics)

Islam is much more than what you probably consider a simple religion to be. And Islam has had a lot of success with remoulding people and deterring them from succumbing to base desires. A good example of this is alcoholism, which some would consider to be caused by genetic predisposition also. Islam pretty much wiped it out of society. Although isolated instances of alcoholism did exist, the society largely became 'dry' so to speak. I'd say likewise with homosexuality, although I'm sure you're going to insist it must've existed at roughly the same levels as it does in Western society today, as I mentioned above, just because you suppose that, doesn't make it reality. You can examine the Islamic records, and find it just wasn't the case. You claim it was just merely hidden, but that's just conjecture, and such conjecture simply cannot be quantified.

Quote:
it can only influence what the adherent does about it

Not really. Islamically, we would consider such 'desires' to be a test from God, like we have tests about many other things. And we choose to ignore and repel them, doesn't mean they still exist, as they were merely whispers. It's only when people form this whole culture based around said desires and claim them to be a 'lifestyle' etc. that you consider them to be repressed yet innate tendancies.

We consider it to something akin to alcoholism, or a bad temper, some people might be more disposed to it, but they have the choice on whether to control and expunge the disposition, or to allow it to dominate their lives.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:57am

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:11am:
helian,
Quote:
Religion per se has little or no control over the circumstances of one's genetic composition or congenital predisposition (where it doesn't experiment in eugenics)

Islam is much more than what you probably consider a simple religion to be. And Islam has had a lot of success with remoulding people and deterring them from succumbing to base desires. A good example of this is alcoholism, which some would consider to be caused by genetic predisposition also. Islam pretty much wiped it out of society. Although isolated instances of alcoholism did exist, the society largely became 'dry' so to speak. I'd say likewise with homosexuality, although I'm sure you're going to insist it must've existed at roughly the same levels as it does in Western society today, as I mentioned above, just because you suppose that, doesn't make it reality. You can examine the Islamic records, and find it just wasn't the case. You claim it was just merely hidden, but that's just conjecture, and such conjecture simply cannot be quantified.

Quote:
it can only influence what the adherent does about it

Not really. Islamically, we would consider such 'desires' to be a test from God, like we have tests about many other things. And we choose to ignore and repel them, doesn't mean they still exist, as they were merely whispers. It's only when people form this whole culture based around said desires and claim them to be a 'lifestyle' etc. that you consider them to be repressed yet innate tendancies.

We consider it to something akin to alcoholism, or a bad temper, some people might be more disposed to it, but they have the choice on whether to control and expunge the disposition, or to allow it to dominate their lives.

I agree that a religion can shape the person after the brute facts and influence or cause the conscious suppression of behavioural predispositions. Religion is usually very effective at this and the suppression would no doubt be even more effective where harsh penalties were meted out for behavioural deviance. This is true not only of sexual deviance but also for criminal tendencies. If the penalty for breaking a window in anger is 6 months jail, the number of windows broken in anger will quickly drop. Every despot understands this correlation.

Superficially it would appear that deviance had been eliminated or reduced to insignificant levels and so long as the repressive regime remains intact, adherents can claim (spuriously) to have eliminated the unwanted behavioural traits. However as soon as draconian penalties for deviant acts are abolished, the occurrence of the acts will rise accordingly.

To blind oneself to the strong probability that the regime has only suppressed the outward manifestation of the behaviour and has not eliminated it, is to risk making a fool of oneself, as President Ahmadinejad of Iran did when speaking at Columbia University. The fact that Iran continues to impose penalties for homosexuality (and carry them out) indicates that lawmakers are aware that the predisposition has not been eliminated and never can be… only suppressed. After all, there are no laws against flying your elephant within city limits.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #65 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:54am

Well done helian, I think you have summed it up perfectly. I wish I had put the case forward with such common sense.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #66 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:30am

Yes Helian, sadly some do try and suppress natural sexuality through violence.
The 4,000 or so homosexuals who Iran have executed certainly won't be doing it again.

Islam is not alone in this one, there was a poignantly sad you tube clip of a fundy christian teaching how to "beat" the gayness out of children, it was similiar to how Ned Flanders had the badness beaten out of him as a child in The Simpsons.

Aahh The Simpsons, more relevant than any religious text ever written, "save me jeebus" Grin

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #67 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:40pm

Quote:
If the penalty for breaking a window in anger is 6 months jail, the number of windows broken in anger will quickly drop.

Right, so you believe in a world where window breakers should be free to break windows? To run around marching down the streets proclaiming window breaking to be a normal and acceptable part of human society?

Quote:
However as soon as draconian penalties for deviant acts are abolished, the occurrence of the acts will rise accordingly.

Same goes for any crime. That's why we have rule of law, not a utopian paradise in which laws have been abolished and everyone just follows the rules out of mutual love and respect.

Quote:
To blind oneself to the strong probability that the regime has only suppressed the outward manifestation of the behaviour and has not eliminated it, is to risk making a fool of oneself

I don't think these things can be completely eradicated from people's nature, so that they won't occur, but generally people become conditioned to and cultured for them to be suppressed enough. This is what religion and good law hopes to achieve in the long run. It's never a complete solution, and if the state is incapacitated and unable to maintain law and order, then yes some people can revert back to old ways, but generally overall the society should have become accustomed to living by the standards they've adopted.

Quote:
as President Ahmadinejad of Iran did when speaking at Columbia University.

As with the Pakistan example, i'm not particuarly interested in what Mr. Ahmadinejad does in his country. It's not a Caliphate and is therefore not representative of the Islamic ideology.

mozzaok,

Quote:
The 4,000 or so homosexuals who Iran have executed certainly won't be doing it again.

Throughout the whole 1350 year history of the Caliphate, I don't think they ever executed that many. Yet Iran took only 30 years to do that?

I guess that indicates that the Islamic system is far more effective than the Iranian system.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:45pm by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #68 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:46pm

abu, a woman revealing a bit of flesh is not a crime. You can't compare it to willful destruction of property.

What is a crime is a man who can't control himself and assaults that woman.

Here you are abu, whinging about how the governments of the world are destroying freedom, and you think it is perfectly acceptable to stop someone wearing a bikini.

Bravo senor hypocrite.

Edit: I am in the wrong thread, but I think this post makes a semblance of sense.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #69 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:48pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:40pm:
Throughout the whole 1350 year history of the Caliphate, I don't think they ever executed that many. Yet Iran took only 30 years to do that?

I guess that indicates that the Islamic system is far more effective than the Iranian system.

Where's the evidence!!!

If people are doing it out of sight, in their own homes, how have you stopped it?

You get exclusively homosexual rams in flocks of sheep.

Quite clearly God designed it this way.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #70 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 12:57pm

Quote:
abu, a woman revealing a bit of flesh is not a crime. You can't compare it to willful destruction of property.

If you check who made the comparison, you'd find this comment should be directed to helian, not myself.

Quote:
and you think it is perfectly acceptable to stop someone wearing a bikini.

Likewise your country thinks it's perfectly acceptable to stop someone wearing nothing.

Quote:
If people are doing it out of sight, in their own homes, how have you stopped it?

Since you can't quantify what people are doing at homes in secrecy, you can't really use it as an evidence in a debate.

Quote:
You get exclusively homosexual rams in flocks of sheep.

Since we're not rams, that's not really relevant.

Quote:
Quite clearly God designed it this way

Yes God did permit us to be tempted by such things, as he permitted us to be tempted to eat chocolate until we become diabetics, doesn't mean it's a good idea to act upon that impulse.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #71 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:05pm

Personally I've not been aroused by men or lusted after any. But if you have good for you.

My country does lots of things I don't agree with. I don't have blind faith for any doctrine.

Rams are animals, we are animals, rams do exactly what comes to them naturally, responding to instinct, therefore, God condones homosexuality, men are just scared of it so they say God is against it.

Also, there is scientific proof for homosexuality not being a choice, in humans.

Muslims are big believers in science right?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #72 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:21pm

Quote:
Personally I've not been aroused by men or lusted after any. But if you have good for you

Since I'm a proponent of it being outlawed, and you're a proponent of permitting it, your lame attempt to 'question' my position is just ridiculous.

Quote:
My country does lots of things I don't agree with. I don't have blind faith for any doctrine.

Not just Australia, but most countries on earth prohibit nudity to some extent, some more than others, get over it.

Quote:
Rams are animals, we are animals

Hop off your computer and go graze in the paddocks then. I'm not really interested in debates with livestock.

Quote:
God condones homosexuality

We do not understand what God condones, by what urges and instincts humans might have. Some humans have overwhelming urges to kill, but that doesn't mean God condones it. This is a very flawed attempt at using something you're obviously not qualified to use, logic.

Quote:
Also, there is scientific proof for homosexuality not being a choice, in humans.

People choose to act upon it, as they choose to act upon anything else they might be tempted to engage in. As I already mentioned, people choose to eat chocoloate and junk food until they become diabetics, and there's scientific proof they're genetically pre-disposed to do it, doesn't mean they should be doing it, and doesn't mean society should encourage it.

Quote:
Muslims are big believers in science right?

Yes in science, not in the attempt of a human who thinks he's livestock to use logic.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #73 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:36pm

You said God permitted you to be tempted by such things, it was not a great leap of logic for me to assume that maybe you perhaps have been tempted in the past. Maybe you want it outlawed because you are scared of it and your natural urges?

There are places in Australia where some degree of public nudity is acceptable.

We aren't animals abu? What are we, plants? All creatures great and small...

Well if God makes it natural for you to feel a certain way, then it is natural. An urge to kill is not natural, it doesn't have scientific basis, that comes from the heart not the body.

What if you had a profoundly retarded homosexual person who was placed in a situation where they were permitted and encouraged to engage in a same sex encounter? Would they be making a conscious choice or would they be acting on more primal base instincts?

Because we are so scientifically advanced these days, next time you want to get your wife pregnant, use science, not your body. It will completely eliminate the act and you would not have to lust after your wife. But then again, I'm sure you, just like every other animal on the planet, enjoys acting on their base instincts to engage in sexual acts.

I don't think I'm livestock. I was just showing you where God has created homosexuality.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #74 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:59pm

Quote:
You said God permitted you to be tempted by such things

Actually i said God permitted us, speaking about humanity as a whole. Since you consider yourself one of the livestock, I'll let it go.

Yes God did permit us to be tempted by such things, as he permitted us to be tempted to eat chocolate until we become diabetics,

Quote:
There are places in Australia where some degree of public nudity is acceptable.

That's a rather recent advent, and it's quite irrelevant, because in most places it's not.

Quote:
We aren't animals abu? What are we, plants? All creatures great and small..

We are sentient beings. Different from animals in every single respect. Even though we are built from similar substances, we are not the same. Since you obviously don't seem to believe in God, and you believe that submitting to base desires is fine, that probably doesn't mean much to you.

Quote:
An urge to kill is not natural, it doesn't have scientific basis, that comes from the heart not the body.

Aren't we just animals? With primitive instincts to survive and hunt? Many animals kill members of their own species, so therefore it's natural, and you shouldn't discourage it.

Quote:
What if you had a profoundly retarded homosexual person who was placed in a situation where they were permitted and encouraged to engage in a same sex encounter? Would they be making a conscious choice or would they be acting on more primal base instincts?

What if you had a profoundly retarded person predisposed to diabetes who was placed in a situation where they were permitted and encouraged to engage in excessive consumption of junk food, to the detriment of their health? Would they be making a conscious choice or would they be acting on more primal base instincts?

And further, would we not be wrong in leaving them to do it?

Quote:
It will completely eliminate the act and you would not have to lust after your wife.

Unlike Christianity, lusting after your wife in Islam is not just permitted, it's encouraged, and considered a very normal and healthy activity.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #75 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:08pm

I'm not part of that humanity as a whole then. You can be if you so desire.

How do you know animals aren't sentient? I was just watching 60 Minutes on Sunday and apparantly elephants can be considered human like, with their grieving, death rituals, long memories, holding grudges etc etc.

I believe in God abu, I just don't subscribe to your faith. I have a sneaking suspicion that God, in his infinite love and wisdom, would want us to enjoy ourselves and be happy, not live in fear and oppression.

Show me an animal that kills its' own species for a reason other than during a fight for dominance, furthering their own genes or something similar. If you can find me an instance, where, unprovoked, an animal has killed its' own species for no reason other than bloodlust, I would be very surprised. I've never heard of a serial killer in the animal world.

So now Islam condones lust?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #76 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:16pm

Quote:
Show me an animal that kills its' own species for a reason other than during a fight for dominance, furthering their own genes or something similar

Why the 'other than' clause?

Humans kill for the same reasons, do you think it's ok? Cos it's natural and animals do it too?

Your logic is flawed.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:17pm

I was trying to say animals don't kill their own species for fun or malice.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:29pm

abu, do me a favour and address my entire post. Don't answer a question with a question. Answer the question then ask another question if you so desire.

Surely a man with such 'logic' and 'intellect' as yours should have no problem doing so.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #79 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:39pm

Quote:
I was trying to say animals don't kill their own species for fun or malice.

Since they're just the same as us, why not?

Either way, not all humans kill for those reasons either. So when they do kill for those reasons, do you find it to be acceptable, because it's 'natural'? Do you also think it's condoned by God? Since you say you believe in God, and you adopt the [twisted] logic that any natural urge a human has and responds to, must be an act condoned by God.

Quote:
Don't answer a question with a question

This is quite ironic, since your question was actually your 'answer' to my question.

Quote:
Aren't we just animals? With primitive instincts to survive and hunt?
Quote:
Show me an animal that kills its' own species for a reason other than during a fight for dominance
Quote:
Humans kill for the same reasons, do you think it's ok? Cos it's natural and animals do it too?

Also you'll notice "Humans kill for the same reasons" is an answer.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #80 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:43pm

I'm pretty sure primates don't 'naturally' kill each other on purpose in order for their genes to survive and other such scallywag behaviour.

They do 'naturally' engage in lesbian and gay sex though.

Inside my questions, which are generally quite long, you will notice with your superior intellect and logic, that I have attempted to address your questions and answer them to my reasoning. I haven't just grabbed your question, changed the words and flipped it around to ask you the same question you asked me with different variables.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #81 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:56pm

Quote:
I'm pretty sure primates don't 'naturally' kill each other on purpose in order for their genes to survive

So we're not the same then? Which one is it? You can't have this both ways.

Either we are just animals, in which case our killing would be just natural, like that of other animals, or we're not animals, we're sentient beings, who know right from wrong and have a clear choice in which temptations/instincts we respond to.

Quote:
They do 'naturally' engage in lesbian...

That's probably what it's more related to for you isn't it. Guess this relates to your thread in the Women's Business section Wink

Quote:
I haven't just grabbed your question, changed the words and flipped it around to ask you the same question you asked me with different variables.

Probably because my questions are not so easily turned around and applicable to the opposing view, as yours was. Toughen up your questions, and they won't be lobbed back at ya  Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #82 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:06pm

All animals are similar, but they are not the same.

You can't compare a feline to a ovine, or a canine to a bovine. Well you can.... but not in the sense of all behaviours. A ovine does not stalk and hunt prey, a feline does. However, one thing they have in common is sexual reproduction and sexual urges.

Just like a primate is different from a cetacean. We are primates.

Typical Muslim, everything is related to lustful desires. That is not the case. The point I am making is your religion goes against nature (God) by prohibiting the very things that are normal and in wide occurance in nature.

With your superior intellect and logic, abu, you should not feel the need to flip my questions around, rather you should just answer them and not take advantage of my feeble mind. Maybe you can't answer my questions? Is that the problem?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #83 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:10pm

Quote:
Maybe you can't answer my questions? Is that the problem?

Yep, you got me. I concede.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #84 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:12pm

You concede that post?

So you concede that Islam goes against God?

I guess it must be true, never before have I seen you not defend your faith.

Finally seen the light abu?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #85 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:35pm

I concede what I quoted. I can't answer your questions. That's why I just switched the variables and sent it back at ya.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #86 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:52pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:21pm:
Hop off your computer and go graze in the paddocks then. I'm not really interested in debates with livestock.

Hahaha. I can see you have a sense of humour, Abu... Nothing like a bit of comic relief! Grin

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #87 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 9:48am

Quote:
If the penalty for breaking a window in anger is 6 months jail, the number of windows broken in anger will quickly drop.

Right, so you believe in a world where window breakers should be free to break windows? To run around marching down the streets proclaiming window breaking to be a normal and acceptable part of human society?

No. “Broken windows” was an analogy to illustrate that unreasonably severe punishment will most likely result in the complete suppression of the “crime”. Whether society would consider it just that in order to guarantee windows aren’t broken in anger, its jails would necessarily be filled with window breakers, is another story.

Same goes for any crime. That's why we have rule of law, not a utopian paradise in which laws have been abolished and everyone just follows the rules out of mutual love and respect.
All laws determining a person’s behaviour should be proposed out of love and respect for the individual and society. As a rule, acts that cause no harm to another (and improve the lives of individuals) should not be prohibited.

I don't think these things can be completely eradicated from people's nature, so that they won't occur, but generally people become conditioned to and cultured for them to be suppressed enough. This is what religion and good law hopes to achieve in the long run. It's never a complete solution, and if the state is incapacitated and unable to maintain law and order, then yes some people can revert back to old ways, but generally overall the society should have become accustomed to living by the standards they've adopted.

No doubt with enough prohibition and severe penalties, the undesired behaviour will be all but completely suppressed. How this suppressed desire manifests itself after that is another issue. Perhaps it will appear in a more undesired expression.

If the Caliphate didn't execute 4000 individuals for homosexual acts in its 1350 years, perhaps it tacitly tolerated the practise.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #88 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:06am

helian,

Quote:
Hahaha. I can see you have a sense of humour, Abu... Nothing like a bit of comic relief!

Well he was asking for it, so I couldn't resist spicing up the discussion a little.

Quote:
No. “Broken windows” was an analogy

Right, so transpose my response to your analogy back onto the original issue, and you'll see what i mean. A society, that strives to be chaste and morally upright, would not tolerate such transgressors marching down the streets proclaiming their disgusting activities to be normal.

Quote:
its jails would necessarily be filled with window breakers, is another story.

Not necessarily. If the punishments are stern and serious, then people pretty soon realise it's just not worth it.

Quote:
All laws determining a person’s behaviour should be proposed out of love and respect for the individual and society. As a rule, acts that cause no harm to another (and improve the lives of individuals) should not be prohibited.

That's because you believe homosexuality to be an acceptable behaviour. For many, perhaps most in the world, it is not acceptable, and we consider it to be a crime. Likewise there are things we consider acceptable, which you consider a crime. Not all people are the same, not all people hold the same moral views about things, you must come to accept this. Your moral code is not universal, not by a long shot.

Tell me, do you think incest between consenting adults should also get the same treatment as homosexuality? If not, why not? And do you not realise that the next generation of Australians will most likely (if current trends continue) consider you conservative for opposing incest, as you perhaps consider your parents (not necessarily applicable to your specific case, but on an inter-generational level this is the gap in views and morals that's largely occured) to be too conservative in theirs regarding homosexuality.

Quote:
How this suppressed desire manifests itself after that is another issue. Perhaps it will appear in a more undesired expression.

Or perhaps the inclinations were just a temporary fixation, that the individual will overcome, and they'll go on to have a family and enjoy a normal and happy life. I'm quite aware that you believe a homosexual life to be normal and happy, I however don't, as neither do i believe an adulterous life to be normal and happy.

Quote:
If the Caliphate didn't execute 4000 individuals for homosexual acts in its 1350 years, perhaps it tacitly tolerated the practise

A more likely conclusion to draw would be that it successfully helped people to overcome those desires and inclincations which were just a test for them.

It quite clearly didn't tolerate it in any way, shape or form.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #89 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:53am

Quote:
That's because you believe homosexuality to be an acceptable behaviour. For many, perhaps most in the world, it is not acceptable, and we consider it to be a crime. Likewise there are things we consider acceptable, which you consider a crime. Not all people are the same, not all people hold the same moral views about things, you must come to accept this. Your moral code is not universal, not by a long shot.

Tell me, do you think incest between consenting adults should also get the same treatment as homosexuality? If not, why not? And do you not realise that the next generation of Australians will most likely (if current trends continue) consider you conservative for opposing incest, as you perhaps consider your parents (not necessarily applicable to your specific case, but on an inter-generational level this is the gap in views and morals that's largely occured) to be too conservative in theirs regarding homosexuality.

No abu, homosexuality is natural and condoned by nature. Incest is unnatural and essentially a strictly human condition, excluding those animals with low availability of potential mates. Go have a read about MHC. Incest is completely unnatural, as nature will show.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #90 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:28pm

easel wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:53am:
Quote:

No abu, homosexuality is natural and condoned by nature. Incest is unnatural and essentially a strictly human condition, excluding those animals with low availability of potential mates. Go have a read about MHC. Incest is completely unnatural, as nature will show.

what you are saying is rediculous.

the fact that the human body both female and male is such that only male to female sex works biologically in a reproductive sense indicates that homosexuality is not natural.

In fact unlike homosexuality incest can produce offspring with a chance of inferiority but offspring nonetheless. indicating that perhaps incest is less unnatural than homosexuality.

further more a 1982 study mentioned in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that the anal cancer rate for homosexuals is way above normal, maybe as high as 50 times normal. And a 1997 New England Journal of Medicine study again drew attention to the "strong association between anal cancer and male homosexual contact.".

how is that natural?

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #91 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:37pm

Not natural in the sense that it helps advance the species or has a clear biological outcome after the act, but natural in the sense that it is innate and hardwired, with scientific evidence to back it up, and not a choice.

Incest has no scientific justification, in fact science shows us that animals are most likely to choose mates most dissimilar to themselves. It also shows us that some animals are exclusively homosexual!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #92 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Quote:
No abu, homosexuality is natural and condoned by nature.

Nature is not really an entity that can 'condone' something. So this statement is just nonsense.

Quote:
Incest is unnatural and essentially a strictly human condition, excluding those animals with low availability of potential mates.

Wrong, there's some species that do it as the norm such as the african cichlid pelvicachromis taeniatus.

Either way, if they're consenting adults who want to engage in such a relationship, why should society be able to dictate to them they can't? Don't give me this crap about genetics, because they can quite easily agree to be genetically tested for the possibility of any defects that might occur, and alternatively agree to be 'fixed'.

Quote:
Go have a read about MHC. Incest is completely unnatural, as nature will show.

It occurs, even amongst primates.

Your definition of what is and isn't natural, seems to be dictated by which sexual perversions you find arousing.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #93 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Incest = ok in Islam
Why? It helps out-populate non-muslims

Homosexuality = not ok in Islam
Why? It does not help out-populate non-muslims.

Same for Christianity.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:17pm

jordan484 wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:11pm:
Incest = ok in Islam
Why? It helps out-populate non-muslims

Homosexuality = not ok in Islam
Why? It does not help out-populate non-muslims.

Same for Christianity.

Wrong again. Amazing how one can be so wrong so often.

Incest is not ok in Islam, actually quite clearly it is prohibitted.

Like really Jordan...why do you even bother??

IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #95 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Lot's of things are "prohibited" in Islam, yet occur in the name of, or within Islam all the time. Incest, homosexuality, killing and paedophilia are a few. Although I rather like the stuff that is actually permissible...beating your wife, stoning adulterers....those sorts of things.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #96 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:30pm

Abu, a cichlid is a fish. Some fish undergo sex changes completely naturally and are able to reproduce as either male or female.

Quote:
Incest is unnatural and essentially a strictly human condition, excluding those animals with low availability of potential mates.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:31pm

jordan484 wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:25pm:
Lot's of things are "prohibited" in Islam, yet occur in the name of, or within Islam all the time. Incest, homosexuality, killing and paedophilia are a few. Although I rather like the stuff that is actually permissible...beating your wife, stoning adulterers....those sorts of things.

Could you provide an example where incest has occurred in the 'name of Islam'.

Just confirmed what is common knowledge...you are full of it.

As for beating your wife....I think your confused. It is Western culture and has a long tradition of bashing and raping wives and daughters.

Domestic violence rates in Australia is one of the highest in the world. So once again.....I have statistics to back up my claims....you on the other hand, have nothing but bigotry.

Is it any wonder no one takes you seriously.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:33pm

easel wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:30pm:
Abu, a cichlid is a fish. Some fish undergo sex changes completely naturally and are able to reproduce as either male or female.

Quote:

Weasel...you cannot possibly argue that Homosexuality is natural. If we were all homosexual, then the human race would die out.

In addition, our sexual organs were naturally developed for hetrosexual releationships, not homosexual. Thirdly, animals have sex to procreate...this is its primary and natural purpose. Pro-creation cannot occur during homosexual relations. Yes some animals may practise homosexuality...however, I think you will find these instances are not the norm.

And finally...if your arguing in regards to 'natural' urges...then murder too is a natural urge....do you also condone murder? It can be argued that all 'urges' can be natural, therefore using your logic just about anything can be justified as being 'natural'.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #99 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:35pm

Quote:
Weasel...you cannot possibly argue that Homosexuality is natural. If we were all homosexual, then the human race would die out.

And secondly...if your arguing in regards to 'natural' urges...then murder too is a natural urge....do you also condone murder?

It is natural to have red hair Lestat, do we all have red hair?

Go read back in this very thread. We have already had a look at murder.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:39pm

easel wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:35pm:
Quote:

And secondly...if your arguing in regards to 'natural' urges...then murder too is a natural urge....do you also condone murder?

If we all had red hair, our species would not become extinct though would it. Cause red hair is natural, homosexuality is not...it is an abnormality. A mutation.....

I didread the thread, and in no way did you logically respond the murder piont. There are people who actually are considered ill, in that they have strong urges to murder and are susceptible to violent thought. It is a chemical imbalance in the brains which results in what is to them a very natural urge...just as chemical inbalance and illness results in homosexual tendancies.

The two scenario's are very similar, yet for some reason you can justify one without the other.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #101 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Lestat wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:39pm:
easel wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:35pm:
Quote:

If we all had red hair, our species would not become extinct though would it. Cause red hair is natural, homosexuality is not...it is an abnormality. A mutation.....

I didread the thread, and in no way did you logically respond the murder piont. There are people who actually are considered ill, in that they have strong urges to murder and are susceptible to violent thought. It is a chemical imbalance in the brains which results in what is to them a very natural urge...just as chemical inbalance and illness results in homosexual tendancies.

The two scenario's are very similar, yet for some reason you can justify one without the other.

For a guy who wrote he knows a lot, you are pretty dumb.

Red hair is a mutation.

Homosexuality is not. If you wanted to you could call it a defect, because it is in the strict sense of the word, because it does not help the species in a way we are aware of, although if a gay people's bodies work exactly the same as straight people and they are capable of the exact same things (such as sexual reproduction) it is not much of a defect, but it is not a mutation.

Homosexuals are completely capable of everything heterosexuals are. Would you call a woman a mutation? Would you call a man a mutation? Because, apparantly, gay men have female brains and lesbians have male brains, or brains most similar to that and not their own gender. There is no chemical imbalance in regards to homosexuality. If it was, it would be very easily treated and 'cured'. It would also be classified as a mental illness.

Lestat, there are also people who want to kill and have no 'chemical imbalance'. They are just maladjusted. Just like some people who have no feelings or emotion and have no value on human life. They often don't have a chemical imbalance, just parts of their brain are not very active.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:00pm by easel »  

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #102 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:04pm

There is some speculation and evidence for a hormonal imbalance with homosexuals though.

Some gay men were exposed to too much testosterone which made them super sexual, some were exposed to too much estrogen which made them a bit feminine.

Or so the theory goes. The sciency part of it is a bit beyond me.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #103 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:07pm

Quote:

If you read that article, you'll see they found that species of fish has a 'natural tendancy' to reproduce between brother and sister. And they even suggested possible reasons that might make it more beneficial to do so. So there we have it, some 'natural' evidence of incest.

Either way, it doesn't make it right, as you neglect to realise, we're not animals, we are sentient beings who have a choice between right and wrong.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #104 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:11pm

Quote:
Go read back in this very thread. We have already had a look at murder

Yes and you failed to address the analogy last time also. If you wish to keep arguing, perhaps you should address it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #105 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:12pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:07pm:
[quote] we're not animals,

We're not plants.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #106 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:14pm

pender,

Quote:
the American Medical Association found that the anal cancer rate for homosexuals is way above normal

easel isn't interested in that. He's more interested in homosexuality of the female type. Check his thread in the women's section.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #107 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:19pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:11pm:
Quote:
Go read back in this very thread. We have already had a look at murder

Yes and you failed to address the analogy last time also. If you wish to keep arguing, perhaps you should address it.

I addressed it to the best of my ability from my point of view.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #108 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:12pm

What you must understand is that the Islamic texts that prescribe the death penalty for apostasy/conversion clearly state the one who abandoned his religion/ideology and his allegiance to it in favour of the enemy. In other words it is treason. And you must recognise that when dealing with this issue. As you quite clearly stated you believe the death penalty is warranted in cases of treason.

But all apostates are given the death penalty right, regardless of whether there was any treason involved?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #109 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:58pm

And all adulterers get stoned ?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #110 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 3:19pm

freediver wrote on Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:12pm:

But all apostates are given the death penalty right, regardless of whether there was any treason involved?

"......regardless of whether there was any treason involved?"

In ISLAM 'unbelief'  is  treason, and it is an insult to ISLAM / Allah.

In ISLAM abandoning your faith, is  treason, and it is an insult to ISLAM / Allah.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print