Send Topic Print
Sorry I've been away! (Read 5718 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Sorry I've been away!
Reply #30 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:24pm

Gaybriel,

You'll get used to the two or three posters we have here who like to complain about how they've been unfairly moderated and censored all the time. You can usually pick their posts as being those devoid of any actual argument or sincere question.

Not much point in trying to persuade them to just get on with things, because if they didn't have something to complain about, they wouldn't be here.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #31 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:47pm

Neither would you.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #32 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 11:47pm

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 13th, 2008 at 6:49am:
Quote:
You couldn't by any chance stay and live in the Middle-East could you, Malik?

Nah I think he's just gone to learn Arabic language and culture, so he can then come back and propagate it here Smiley

As per the plan.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #33 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 12:11am

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 13th, 2008 at 6:49am:
Quote:
You couldn't by any chance stay and live in the Middle-East could you, Malik?

Nah I think he's just gone to learn Arabic language and culture, so he can then come back and propagate it here Smiley

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 10:18am

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 8:42am:
Quote:
Hmmm no tax, free education, dental and medical, fuel that's about US$.15/lt. Less crime than Japan (which is way less than Australia) No racist bogans telling me to go back to my own country because I'm a Muslim even though I was born there. Siesta time during the day. Really great people. Fridays off to pray. Sounds pretty sweet.

Are you sure Malik?? Doesn't sound right.. Some forummers here told me all Muslim countries are backwards 3rd. world hellholes, how can this be??

In the shadows of splendour
•      October 13, 2008
Behind the opulence and dizzying skyscrapers of Dubai, is an exploited army of migrant workers living in squalor.
Ghaith Abdul-Ahad reports.

How is life? I ask.
"What life? We have no life here. We are prisoners. We wake up at five, arrive to work at seven and are back at the camp at nine in the evening, day in and day out."

"They lied to us," a worker with a long beard says. "They told us lies to bring us here. Some of us sold their land; others took big loans to come and work here."
Once they arrive in the United Arab Emirates, migrant workers are treated little better than cattle, with no access to health care and many other basic rights. The company that sponsors them holds on to their passports - and often a month or two of their wages to make sure that they keep working. And for this some will earn just 400 dirhams a month.

One experienced worker with spectacles and a prayer cap tells me that things are much better than they used to be. Five years ago, when he first came, the company gave him nothing. There was no air-conditioning in the room and sometimes no electricity. "Now, they give AC to each room and a mattress for each worker."

A couple of miles away, the slave market becomes more ugly. Outside a glitzy hotel, with a marble and glass facade, dozens of prostitutes congregate according to their ethnic groups: Asians to the right, next to them Africans, and, on the left, blondes from the former Soviet Union. There are some Arab women. Iranians, I am told, are in great demand. They charge much higher prices and are found only in luxury hotels.
Like the rest of the Gulf region, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are being built by expat workers. They are strictly segregated, and a hierarchy worthy of previous centuries prevails.

Many times I am told that while the immigrant workers are living in appalling conditions, they would be even worse off back home.

"We need slaves," my friend Ali, an Iraqi engineer, says. "We need slaves to build monuments. Look who built the pyramids - they were slaves."

Sharla Musabih, a human rights campaigner who runs the City of Hope shelter for abused women, is familiar with such sentiments. "Once you get rich on the back of the poor," she says, "it's not easy to let go of that lifestyle.

"They are devaluing human beings. The workers might eat once a day back home, but they have their family around them, they have respect. They are not asking for a room in a hotel - all they are asking for is respect for their humanity."

Sharla Musabih says that economically, Dubai has progressed a lot, "but socially it has stayed behind".

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/in-the-shadows-of-splendour-20081012-4z1i.html?p...

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 11:18am

hehe...you do realise that Qatar is not Dubai...don't you.

Actually a completely different country. hehe, once again Soren making himself look foolish by cutting and pasting whatever he could find without actually reading it.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #36 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 11:33am

Doesn't matter Lestat!! They'll all the same.

Soren, that's a good point, and I agree it's a despicable situation. Most gulf countries have appalling conditions for non-citizens, and this has to change, it's got nothing to do with Islam though. Under Islam, all people are citizens within the state and all are entitled to health care.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print