Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
replacing morals with rules (Read 18584 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: replacing morals with rules
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 11:33pm

Islam is about performative action. It is about demonstrating that you are following the rules. Do not think, above all, do not argue, do everything as it is prescribed. Perform your submission. No-one is interested in what is in your heart, your morals.

Judaism is about hearing the small, still voice and heeding it. Christianity is about the transformed heart, of being called out of your pagan ethnicity into election (judaism) for all. Morality is at the heart of both.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2008 at 11:55pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:24am

Soren wrote on Nov 7th, 2008 at 11:33pm:
Islam is about performative action. It is about demonstrating that you are following the rules. Do not think, above all, do not argue, do everything as it is prescribed. Perform your submission. No-one is interested in what is in your heart, your morals.

Judaism is about hearing the small, still voice and heeding it. Christianity is about the transformed heart, of being called out of your pagan ethnicity into election (judaism) for all. Morality is at the heart of both.

Are there not 615 laws in the Torah?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:34am

Quote:

Yes the mitzvot. Not only that, but if soren (and all his bible bashing buddies) actually bothered to read their NT, they'd find the Jews were criticised and considered on the wrong path exactly for this same reason they're trying to criticise Islam for, "Following the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of it". But now all of a sudden in the 20th. century and beyond, Judaism is not the target anymore, Islam is, so Judaism has now become all moral and fuzzy wuzzy, and only Islam is legalistic...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:11am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:24am:

Don't knoww about 615 (or 2 or 789). Yes and only minority of jews follow them - yet they remain jews.
Every religion has rituals. The point is, you are a jew or a Christian in your heart. Allah, on the other hand, will judge you only by your performance.
The five pillars of Islam and the commandments of love (of god and neighbour) are pointing to different essentials.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:27am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:34am:
Quote:

Yes the mitzvot. Not only that, but if soren (and all his bible bashing buddies) actually bothered to read their NT, they'd find the Jews were criticised and considered on the wrong path exactly for this same reason they're trying to criticise Islam for, "Following the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of it". But now all of a sudden in the 20th. century and beyond, Judaism is not the target anymore, Islam is, so Judaism has now become all moral and fuzzy wuzzy, and only Islam is legalistic...

Reform judaism is not  hung up on the letter of the law as orthodox judaism - it has heeded the warning. And still - the jews do not blow each other up over dogma, like the Mohammedans. Not even secular jews are blown up, as they go about their daily lives, by the orthodox. A jew is a jew in his heart and mind (and his trousers). the rest is between him and god to arover. yes, a jew will argue with god.
The world is a cooperative effort between man and god. The Christians have learned tha from the jews , but the Mohammedans, having misunderstood judaism, haven't and now it is too late for them to learn it.
So the nature of the relationship for jew and christian is personal, of the heart. For the mohammedan, the relationship is of the slave and the potentate in the law courts of the poteentate.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:23pm

Abu this has nothing to do with Judaism. Just because you can see similar flaws in Judaism does not mean those flaws don't exist in Islam. In fact you should be more able to acknowledge them, not less. If the Jews start blowing each other up, citing the Torah as motivation, or stoning people to death, or chopping off people's hands, or marrying prepubescent girls, people will start criticising it. I am happy to let Muslims define what Islam is, but I'm not going to let them define other religions.

By deflecting the criticism, does that mean you acknowledge the flaws in Islam? If not, you have a very strange way of defending it.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #21 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:48pm

"Christianity is about the transformed heart, of being called out of your pagan ethnicity into election (judaism) for all."

Soren,

I believe you are correct.

I see the purpose of Christianity in the same way.

The experiences and the stories in the OT [& NT] were all given to mankind as spiritual parables [i believe].

All those who come to walk in God's way, are, and become, the children of Israel.

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:55pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #22 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:29pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 6th, 2008 at 8:34pm:
Quote:
Islam appears to replace morals with rules.

Rules generally emanate from morals.

abu,

Surely there is a vast gulf between laws and morals.

Differing societies determine, through debate and consensus, what laws they will adopt, and enforce.

Morals come from the inner man.

And, a man can break a bad law, and still be acting morally.

e.g.
Rape victim, 13, stoned to death in stadium
......Amnesty said: "Inside the stadium, militia members opened fire when some of the witnesses to the killing attempted to save her life, and shot dead a boy who was a bystander."
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225800482

A person who abandons his morals, becomes an immoral person.

And it is possible to obey societal laws, and possible to be acting within societal norms, and yet, still be acting immorally.
....and this is what often outrages our moral sensitivity, when we see this occurring.
....e.g. the story above.

I think that this highlights a difference between the 'moral compass' of muslims, and many non-muslims.

Many non-muslims will challenge, and will not accept, what they see as an immoral [or unjust] SOCIETAL LAW.

Muslims cannot challenge, what they see as an immoral ISLAMIC LAW.

You may disagree.

So should we encourage a society of laws [such as ISLAM],
OR,
should we [and society] instead seek to enhance our own, individual, internal 'moral compass', and that internal 'moral compass' of other individuals?

Should we be 'in bondage', to the law, to that which is external to us [such as with ISLAM]???

Or should we seek to learn a proper morality, and encourage, and seek to internalise a moral behaviour within our children???

A person who has an internal moral compass, is a moral person.

The person who looks to laws, for guidance, is the slave of those who enforce those laws [whether those laws are moral, or not].

+++++++++

"And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good - need we ask anyone to tell us these things?"

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance
Robert M Pirsig

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:51pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:42pm

soren,

Quote:
Don't knoww about 615 (or 2 or 789).

It's actually 613, the word "Mitzvah" means command. So they ARE commanded to follow 613 rules, and this is what Judaism is about.

Quote:
Yes and only minority of jews follow them - yet they remain jews.

Actually the majority of believing Jews identify as either Orthodox or Conservative both groups follow the Mitzvot. Reform and Reconstructionist Jews are the minority, unless you wanted to count them with atheistic/secular Jews who generally don't even believe in God or religion at all anyway.

Regardless, it's part of their religious teachings and doctrines, and that's what we're discussing here, not peoples adherence or lack thereof. I really don't understand why you're so intent on proving the Jews are like Christians (and unlike Muslims) for most of your history you persecuted and murdered them and considered them to be an absolute abomination as far as their religious teachings were concerned. Why change now?

Quote:
The point is, you are a jew or a Christian in your heart

A Muslim is not a Muslim in his heart? What kind of nonsense is this...

Quote:
Allah, on the other hand, will judge you only by your performance.

Your idea of Islam is extremely skewed. Judaism is, according to Christian doctrine, a works-based religion, and Christianity reacted and claimed to be faith-only based. Islam is the perfect union of the two, as we believe the original teachings of both religions once were, and that is best understand from one of the most oft-repeated verses of the Qur'an, "Those who believe AND work righteous deeds".

Quote:
The five pillars of Islam and the commandments of love (of god and neighbour) are pointing to different essentials.

What are the five pillars of Islam? what is the first and most important one?

Also note that Jews have 6 special Mitzvot, which are considered the fundamental commands, and one of them is to fear God. Do you fear God soren? Or do you believe we should fear God? Another of them is to affirm the ABSOLUTE oneness of God, do you believe we should do that soren? Is that more compatible with Christianity? Or with Islam?

Quote:
Reform judaism is not  hung up on the letter of the law as orthodox judaism - it has heeded the warning

Heeded the warning and ordained gay Rabbis?  Grin

Reform Judaism is a joke, it's Judaism without the Judaism. The "Clayton's Judaism".

Quote:
And still - the jews do not blow each other up over dogma, like the Mohammedans.

Tell that to Yitzak Rabin, or to the Jewish historian who recently had his house bombed by Jewish extremists, because he wrote that Zionism had dispossessed the Palestinians of their land, rather than spewing out the propaganda line that it was terra nullius (land without a people for a people without a land).

Your one-eyed view of Islam and more worryingly of Christianity and Judaism is based on nothing but whimsical fantasy soren. But if you close your eyes and wish hard enough, maybe you'll wake up and it'll be true...

Quote:
For the mohammedan, the relationship is of the slave and the potentate in the law courts of the poteentate.

The word that's sometimes translated as slave is wrong. It actually means worshipper, and comes from the Semitic root ع ب د ('abada) which means "he worshipped, sanctified". A Jewish temple for instance is called a M'abad in Arabic meaning "place that worship takes place". It can mean 'to serve' as one serves the God he worships. Do you not 'serve' God soren? Or are you constantly in disobedience to God?

This same word is used in the Bible (1 Chronicles 5:15) in the name Abdiel, meaning "servent/worshipper of God (El)", and is cognate with the Islamic name Abdullah, having the exact same meaning.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:55pm

freediver,

Quote:
Abu this has nothing to do with Judaism

Perhaps you'd be best directing that statement to soren: "Judaism is about hearing the small, still voice and heeding it.". If somebody brings Judaism into the discussion, especially in the context he did, then I'm quite right in using it to refute his points. If I had introduced Judaism into the discussion, then I'd see your point, which would be valid.

Quote:
Just because you can see similar flaws in Judaism does not mean those flaws don't exist in Islam.

Nowhere did I say it's a flaw though, strawman...

I merely pointed out that soren's claim that Islam is based around rules and Judaism isn't, was incorrect. Nowhere did I say either is flawed for having rules, as I simply don't believe it's a flaw to have rules. A religion without rules isn't really a religion, it's just a feel good philosophy that can be moulded to suit anyone's desires or wishes.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:00pm

Quote:
for most of your history you persecuted and murdered

I didn't persecute or murder anyone. I don't think Yadda did either. We don't hold you personally responsible for every immoral act ever committed by Muslims. Why do you attempt the same?

Quote:
Judaism is, according to Christian doctrine

Abu, we are kind enough to defer to you and other Muslims on questions of Islamic doctrine. Why can you not do the same? Who cares how Christian doctrine defines Judaism? It's how Jews define it that matters.

Quote:
as I simply don't believe it's a flaw to have rules

My criticism was not based on the presence of rules, but on the absence of morals. I can appreciate both rules and morals, but not the replacement of morals with rules.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:35pm

freediver,

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to argue here Abu? That they are in fact the same thing?

They are basically the same thing. As I already stated, rules emanate from morals. Humans hold the moral that stealing is wrong, so a society comes together and formulates the rule "Whoever steals, get's punched in the nose". You cannot replace the moral by the rule, because the rule emanates from the moral, no moral, no rule. Or are you just trying to peddle more of your nonsense that Islam is some far out wacko idea that's completely alien to all other religions that doesn't believe stealing is wrong, it just makes the rule because they're sadists and love chopping people's hands off?

How about you do the honours and explain clearly what you meant by moral and what you meant by rule in your original post, since you made the original statement. Let us be crystal clear about what we're discussing here. You made the statement, so obviously you had a clear understanding of the terminology used when you made it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:40pm

freediver,

Quote:
I didn't persecute or murder anyone. I don't think Yadda did either.

That post was directed at someone, and  I'll give you a hint, it wasn't you, nor Yadda. how about you read the first word of the post?

Either way, no matter who I was addressing, I was quite clearly spekaing about Christianity as a whole, which both Yadda and soren have indicated they represent. You have not (to my knowledge), so you can consider it not aimed at you.

Quote:
Abu, we are kind enough to defer to you and other Muslims on questions of Islamic doctrine.

Again, soren initially began trying to define Jewish doctrine as it relates to this subject, so take it up with him, it's nothing to do with me. I simply responded to his claims.

If it bugs you, then address it, with him. If it doesn't, and you're just trying to score points from every point I've made, try addressing the ones that relate to you first, then worry about assisting soren in the damage control for his fanciful posts.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:55pm

Quote:
How about you do the honours and explain clearly what you meant by moral and what you meant by rule in your original post, since you made the original statement. Let us be crystal clear about what we're discussing here. You made the statement, so obviously you had a clear understanding of the terminology used when you made it.

The example you gave makes it pretty clear:

Quote:
Humans hold the moral that stealing is wrong, so a society comes together and formulates the rule "Whoever steals, get's punched in the nose".

Now if you change that and say his hand must be chopped off, you are clearly outside the bounds of morality.

Or, to make the distinction even clearer, "stealing is wrong" is a moral claim, whereas "the earth rotates around the sun" or "drop your pants when the band plays the eagle rock" are rules.

Quote:
You cannot replace the moral by the rule, because the rule emanates from the moral

This is a non-sequitor.

Quote:
Either way, no matter who I was addressing, I was quite clearly spekaing about Christianity as a whole

Yet if we 'spoke about Islam as a whole' when voicing our objection to 9/11, you'd object, right?

Quote:
which both Yadda and soren have indicated they represent

I don't think they indicated that they represent all the foul deeds committed by self declared Christians though the ages, just as you don't represent Islamic terrorists.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:12pm

Quote:
Now if you change that and say his hand must be chopped off, you are clearly outside the bounds of morality.

So this is all about you holding that physical punishments are immoral? Is Indonesia immoral for executing the Bali bombers?

Also, I don't live in a Caliphate, if I steal, my hand won't be chopped off, yet I am still not permitted by Islam to steal. The rule is no longer active, so what's preventing me from stealing? Also in times of famine, the punishment for stealing is suspended, yet stealing is still not permitted... on what basis??

Wouldn't be an underlying moral that stealing is wrong, would it? Nah... Islam couldn't be moral could it??

Quote:
Or, to make the distinction even clearer, "stealing is wrong" is a moral claim, whereas "the earth rotates around the sun" or "drop your pants when the band plays the eagle rock" are rules.

Ok, so Islam has both the moral and the rule.

Quote:
You cannot replace the moral by the rule, because the rule emanates from the moral Quote:
This is a non-sequitor.

Non-sequitur perhaps? Since I consider that all the rules of Islam emanate from morals, then yes it is a logical conclusion that you can't replace the morals with the rules, because the rules only exist as an extension of the moral, and therefore can't exist without it.

Quote:
Yet if we 'spoke about Islam as a whole' when voicing our objection to 9/11, you'd object, right?

If you took away people's 'right' to attack Islam as a whole everytime a Muslim did something wrong, this forum wouldn't even exist. It'd just be you and a coupla white supremacists bickering with one another and a looney Christian ranting along to the chorus. Don't bite the hand that fills your forum.

Quote:
I don't think they indicated that they represent all the foul deeds committed by self declared Christians though the ages, just as you don't represent Islamic terrorists.

They represent Christianity as Christians. They regularly attack Islam based on the actions of Muslims, yet if I do the same back, you're going to jump down my throat?? Where's the even hand here?

You're really proving yourself to be quite a joke freediver.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print