Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
replacing morals with rules (Read 18573 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: replacing morals with rules
Reply #45 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 11:58am

Doesn't the Koran order Muslims to not investigate those aspects of the Koran which they find personally disturbing?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #46 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:01pm

Yadda yadda yadda.

Can't you just number your stock responses or something? So instead of filling a thread with the exact same post over and over again, you just say <insert stock Yadda rant #23 here> ?? Would certainly take up much less screen space, and would convey about the same amount  of useful information.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #47 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:02pm

Quote:
Doesn't the Koran order Muslims to not investigate those aspects of the Koran which they find personally disturbing?

Does it? If it does, why didn't you just post it, instead of your own 'colourful' paraphrase?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #48 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:30pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:01pm:
Yadda yadda yadda.

Can't you just number your stock responses or something? So instead of filling a thread with the exact same post over and over again, you just say <insert stock Yadda rant #23 here> ?? Would certainly take up much less screen space, and would convey about the same amount  of useful information.

abu,

Instead of correcting and 'guiding' all the non-muslims who frequent these forum pages, i think that it would be much more productive for you to emigrate to Indonesia.

Once there, you could open your very own ISLAMIC school, and begin correcting and 'guiding' all of those not rightly guided muslims in Indonesia.

You know.

The not rightly guided muslims in Indonesia, who think Allah wants them to kill, and blow up, non-muslims.

You know.

All of those not rightly guided muslims.

++++++++

You should do this abu [emigrate to Indonesia, or Saudi Arabia, or....?],

Because you don't have to try to teach us here about ISLAM.

All we non-muslims have to do, to understand ISLAM is,
.....STUDY THE KORAN, AND THE HADITH.
.....AND LOOK AT THE BEHAVIOUR OF MEN, WHO CLAIM TO BE MUSLIMS.

abu,

We non-muslims, do not 'mis-understand' ISLAM.

It is all of those violent, not rightly guided muslims, who 'mis-understand' ISLAM.
/sarc off

ISLAM presents *itself* to the world.
...IN THE STATEMENTS AND ACTIONS OF ITS ADHERENTS.

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:48pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Quote:
Does it? If it does, why didn't you just post it, instead of your own 'colourful' paraphrase?

I did the first few times, but kept getting no response, so I gave up tracking down the link every time I wanted to bring it up. But seeing as it has caught your attention this time, I'll try again:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1222863216/6#6

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #50 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 3:35pm

This was the original quote from Yadda:

Quote:
"O ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble.....
Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith."
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/005.qmt.html#005.101

Now aren't you the least bit curious why Yadda omitted part of the verses?

Here is the missing part:

Quote:
But if ye ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you, Allah will forgive those: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Of course I'm interested, that's why I've asked about that verse a couple of times on this board.

The rest hardly clarifies what it is saying. In fact it reinforces the notion that it is a sin to ask about the troubling aspects of the Koran.

When is the Koran being revealed?

It also seems to directly contradict your other claim:

Quote:
Also the Islamic texts constantly implore the Muslims to seek knowledge

Or at least to qualify it, in that certain types of knowledge are out of bounds, or can only be sought 'when the Koran is being revealed'.

IP Logged

Gaybriel
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:23pm

to me- as a lay person's interpretation- the verse seems to be saying that you have to at some point accept the wisdom of god, and that you can't possibly understand his wisdom- just because there are things we may not understand within our human sphere, doesn't mean they don't have a reason etc etc

and so if you continually question these things you can't possibly understand it will make trouble for you (in your mind and spirit). yes you should try to understand the quran and the teachings of god, but you should not be so presumptuous as to question the wisdom of god.

that could be totally off track- but that's how it appeared to me

it also says not to question things 'if made plain to you'- which seems to me to say, that if something is already spelt out, then you shouldn't keep questioning it because you have already been provided with the answer.

then saying that if you question "as the quran is revealed to you" seems to me to mean when you learn something new from the quran, ie as you are learning about it or from it.

really to me it just seems to be a pre-emptive move to stop us from being one of those little kids who continually asks 'why'

for me if I ask all those 'why are we here, what is the purpose of life' questions I feel like my head is going to explode. maybe that's what it's all about.

meh- I dunno, religious texts are confusing!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:28pm

Quote:
it also says not to question things 'if made plain to you'- which seems to me to say, that if something is already spelt out, then you shouldn't keep questioning it because you have already been provided with the answer.

I got the opposite impression - that it applied to things that hadn't been made plain, but which would trouble you if they did.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:44pm

This koranic verse makes it hard for a muslims to sign up to the idea that faith has to be reasonable:

"Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith."

Little wonder some of them went apeshit when the pope suggested in Regensburg that religion has to be reasonable. A bit confrontational for some minds.

Would god take away your faith because you asked him a curly question? How ridiculous. I think it is silly to imagine a god would say something like this, especially a god who had never before said anything like this. Moses argued with god, David argued with god, Jesus asked a really tough one with his last breath.

To my mind this is Mohammed speaking, pre-emptively.

(The bit after about ask while it is being revealed does not contrdict or enlarge this line so there is no conspiracy by yadda by leaving it out.)
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:18pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

Gaybriel
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:46pm

freediver wrote on Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:28pm:
Quote:

I got the opposite impression - that it applied to things that hadn't been made plain, but which would trouble you if they did.

hmmm! that could also be true

didn't jesus also say that he would not reveal certain things to others, because they were so far beyond human comprehension that if he did it would drive us mad?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:06pm

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Gaybriel wrote on Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:46pm:
[quote author=freediver link=1225960213/45#53 date=1226298488] [quote]

didn't jesus also say that he would not reveal certain things to others, because they were so far beyond human comprehension that if he did it would drive us mad?

Does that sound the same to you as don't ask questions because those before you who did, lost their faith?

You are doing you Phd and you can't tell the difference?!?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:29pm

I think that all religions place the full nature of God beyond human comprehension. Islam is the only one I know of that places revelation beyond human enquiry because it is so unpalatable.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #59 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:57pm

Quote:
The bit after about ask while it is being revealed does not contrdict or enlarge this line so there is no conspiracy by yadda by leaving it out.

Obviously it didn't quite fit in with what Yadda was trying to imply about the verses, that's why it was left out.

As it says to ask.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print