Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Questions...
Nov 13th, 2008 at 9:39am

Does Islam mean "submission"?
Is a Muslim "one who submits"?
Must you pray 5 times a day?
In prayers do you always address God as "Lord of the worlds"?
Must you prostrate yourself?
Is that a sign of "slavery" to God?
Is prayer more ritual, than a form of discourse?
In Christianity man is separated from God by "sin"... what is Islam's view?
Christians believe man has freedom of choice/free will, do Muslims?
Do Muslims believe that God created evil and wills it?
Why is cremation not allowed?
Are all Muslims urged to defend and propagate Islam?
Is an Islamic world the goal of all Muslims?
Are Muslims urged to obey Muslim leaders, but see it as unecessary to obey those non-Muslims in authority or to obey secular laws?
Are Muslims encouraged to live in a Muslim state?
Are they encouraged to change non-Muslims states into Muslim states?
How is this change to be achieved?
Christians are taught that the "Kingdom of God" is not of this world, but aren't Muslims seeking to establish a world-wide utopian theocracy ruled by a Caliph?
Is the purpose of da‘wa to extend Dar al Islam and enlarge the Umma?
Does that involve bringing people into submission to God, and is the goal to eventually include everyone?
Christians believe genuine conversion is the work of the Holy Spirit, and that it cannot be forced or enticed by worldly means.  Do Muslims believe that conversion is a result of re-education?
Can it can be fostered by threat, pressure or reward?
Do Muslims hold fellow Muslims above all other men?
Are non-Muslims discriminated agains in Islam?

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:09am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Questions...
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:39am

Too many questions, I'll answer a few though.

Quote:
Does Islam mean "submission"?

Islam the word means submission/surrender. Specifically submitting and surrendering instead of to your own whims and desires, to the commands of your Creator. The sun and the moon for instance, are considered "Muslim" (Muslim is the active participle of Islam, this also answers another question) because they submit/surrender to the commands/laws of God (laws of motion/gravity etc.) Now for entities like the Sun and the Moon, they have no choice in their submission/surrender to God's will, as it's just their function, but human beings have free will (this answers another question further down the list, I guess), and therefore must choose to either submit/surrender or to rebel/disobey. This is in fact the essence of all religions, that God has stated what the correct/moral way of conduct is, and then people either choose  to follow it (submit/surrender to it) or they choose to disobey and rebel against it.

Quote:
Must you pray 5 times a day?

The five 'contact' prayers are required of a Muslim every day, yes. But that is not all prayer/worship entails. A Muslim also prays extra prayers when he feels like it, or when certain circumstances dictate, for instance, during times of drought, it's recomended to pray and beseech God for rain. Muslims have regularly done this  during Australia's recent drought, although I doubt most Australians know about this, as it can barely be noticed through the barrage of negative reports about Muslims.

So the 5 daily prescribed prayers are a way of keeping in constant contact/remembrance of God. It helps to keep the soul regulated and constantly spiritual, as it is always on your mind, and makes you take regular time out of your day to devote to the worship of your Lord.

This is something present in the Judaeo-Christian tradition, although Christians have probably neglected it quite a lot, Jews do indeed perform daily contact prayers (3 times a day though).

Quote:
In prayers do you always address God as "Lord of the worlds"?

This statement is used in every prayer, as it is one verse of the standard surah of the Qur'an that is read in each prostration of prayer. However it is not the only statement used to address God. Each prostration of prayer involves reading the opening chapter (surah) of the Qur'an, along with some other verses/chapters of the Qur'an of your own choosing.

Quote:
Must you prostrate yourself?

Yes, of course. Islamic prayer has a very standard form, which involves prostrations and bowing. Likewise Jews and Christians once prostrated in prayer, but don't seem to much anymore, if at all. Do you prostrate in prayer? If you pray that is.

Prostration appears quite a few times in the Bible, both in the OT & NT:

Gen 17:3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
Num 20:6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them
Jos 5:14 And he said, Nay; but [as] captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
Mat 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou [wilt].

Anyone who's seen Muslims pray will know this is a description of how a Muslim prays, not a Jew or a Christian.

Tbey also used to make ablutions/purification before prayer same as the Muslims do:

Exd 40:31 And Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet thereat:
Act 21:26        Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them

Which as far as I know, Christians do not do before prayer, not sure about Jews.

Quote:
Is that a sign of "slavery" to God?

It's a sign of willful submission and surrender to God. It's a sign we recognise his position as our Creator, and therefore we obey his commands/laws and reject being rebellious to him. If you want to call it slavery, great, but note that slavery has very different connotations in your language/culture than it does for Muslims and even in the Bible, where "servant of God" is a name used in your own Bible. In the Semitic languages, both the word for slave and worshipper derive from the same root, so there's sometimes some confusion for non-Semitic speakers to mix them up and claim ridiculous things like "Islam is about bondage". In the Bible itself, the relationship between maan and God is described with the same exact word as in the Qur'an, that of being a surrendered servant of God.

Quote:
Is prayer more ritual, than a form of discourse?

As explained above, although there is ritually prescribed prayers, even they may contain 'free form' supplications. Also I think  maybe you're confusing between prayer and supplication. Christians mostly just supplicate from what I know, they don't actually even have prayer per se. They perhaps just count their supplications as prayers. Whereas for Muslims we have both prayer and supplication.

Maybe I'll answer some more later, we'll see how we go..

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:41am

Thanks...  take your time I'll wait...  eventually, I need answers to all of them.

Oh and bTW the praying for rain was reported in the media...  
I don't think prayer and supplication are seen as different in Christianity.  The Lord's Prayer as taught by Jesus is obviously a prayer and a form of "supplication" if you wish to make that distinction.

Oh and I do pray, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:54am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:03am

Grendel wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:41am:

Grendel,

The Aussie drought is your fault, you infidel you!

Dry blamed on 'faithless Aussies'
Liam Houlihan
March 11, 2007
A LEADING Muslim cleric has blamed the drought, climate change and pollution on Australians' lack of faith in Allah.
Radical sheik Mohammed Omran told followers at his Brunswick mosque that out-of-control secular scientific values had caused environmental disaster.
"The fear of Allah is not there. So we have now a polluted earth, a polluted water, a wasteland," he told a meeting this year.
"What are the people now crying for? The prophet told you hundreds of years ago, 'Look after the water'."
.....British-based Sheik Abdul Raheem Green forbade Muslims from having fewer than four children so Australia would become an Islamic state.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21359123-661,00.html

Er,

I could ask, why in Allah's name, are all of the lands of the middle east, Allah's heartland, all parched arid land, or desert????

And using the same reasoning, doesn't this circumstance prove how faithless the muslims, of the middle east are???

++++++++

Psalms 68:6
God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:11am

Quote:
I could ask, why in Allah's name, are all of the lands of the middle east, Allah's heartland, all parched arid land, or desert????

The Middle East has been desert for a lot longer than it's been Muslim...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:14am

Quote:

Didn't say it wasn't mentioned, I know it was mentioned, as I read articles about it. What I said is, most Australians probably aren't aware of it, due to the fact it was drowned out by a barrage of other negative articles.

Btw, you added this to your post after? Did you go and google it to check if it is reported? ie. indicating I was right, and you are one of those Aussies who only notices the negative press about Islam?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:16am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:11am:
Quote:

The Middle East has been desert for a lot longer than it's been Muslim...

Yes, coz the residents of those lands are faithless,
.....they can't hide the unbelief in their hearts, from God.

And they chop down all the trees, for gain.

In fact almost everything muslims do, is for worldly gain [it appears so to me].

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:19am

sigh

well my point was that I knew about it and if I'm an average Ausssie then I pressume most other people would have been aware of it too.

As my computer has a habit of freezing here I tend to type and save and type and save until the whole thing is done.

I take exception to you claim.  
I doubt your opinion of me is anywhere near right.

Oh I also add stuff as it comes to mind or if I feel it needs to be added.
Sometimes I add it to the post or create a new one.  I think you will find I added the prayer comment at the end... in answer to your previous slight.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:25am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:23am

Quote:
well my point was that I knew about it

So you honestly knew about it prior to me stating it here?

Quote:
I doubt your opinion of me is anywhere near right.

Probably a lot less skewed than yours of me, and Islam.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

skippy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:23am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:14am:
Quote:

Didn't say it wasn't mentioned, I know it was mentioned, as I read articles about it. What I said is, most Australians probably aren't aware of it, due to the fact it was drowned out by a barrage of other negative articles.

Btw, you added this to your post after? Did you go and google it to check if it is reported? ie. indicating I was right, and you are one of those Aussies who only notices the negative press about Islam?

Can you post some "positive press"on Islam,Abu?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:28am

Oh look..  I added another comment at the end whilst you were replying.

1/ Yes I knew about it.
2/ I doubt very much that I have the most "skewed" opinion.

IP Logged

Gaybriel
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 1:13pm

what's the difference between prayer and supplication?

excuse my ignorance

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 1:26pm

According to the English words, prayer is all forms of communication with a deity, whereas supplication is just one form of prayer (the most common one)

The Islamic terms, Salat (Prayer) and Dua' (Supplication) have pretty much the same meanings, although Salat generally refers just to the ritualistic form of prayer that Muslims perform 5 times a day, the word Salat comes from the word for communication, and Dua' refers particularly to beseeching God, and is often part of prayer.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 5:23pm

Correct me if I'm wrong Abu:

Quote:
Are all Muslims urged to defend and propagate Islam?

Yes.

Quote:
Is an Islamic world the goal of all Muslims?

Yes.

Quote:
Are Muslims urged to obey Muslim leaders, but see it as unecessary to obey those non-Muslims in authority or to obey secular laws?

No. If they are in a 'foreign' country, they must obey local laws, probably 'within reason'.

Quote:
Are Muslims encouraged to live in a Muslim state?

Yes. Once there is another caliphate, all Muslims will be required to return.

Quote:
Are they encouraged to change non-Muslims states into Muslim states?

Yes.

Quote:
How is this change to be achieved?

I've had trouble getting that one answered. I think it is by force, as soon as they are powerful enough. Basically, the old fashioned way. They are not supposed to vote in 'secular' elections.

Quote:
Christians are taught that the "Kingdom of God" is not of this world, but aren't Muslims seeking to establish a world-wide utopian theocracy ruled by a Caliph?

Yes, not that it excludes a concept of heaven.

Quote:
Does that involve bringing people into submission to God, and is the goal to eventually include everyone?

Yes.

Quote:
Can it can be fostered by threat, pressure or reward?

See below.

Quote:
Do Muslims hold fellow Muslims above all other men?

Yes.

Quote:
Are non-Muslims discriminated agains in Islam?

Yes. There are special rules for Christians and Jews, designed to force them into constant humiliation.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Islam_and_Australian_values#Confli...

Other people (Pagans, Hindus, Atheists etc) seem to be given a choice of convert or die, though no Muslim here is prepared to explain how these people are to be treated.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1226292000

Quote:
Gen 17:3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
Num 20:6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them
Jos 5:14 And he said, Nay; but [as] captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
Mat 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou [wilt].

that sounds like they passed out.

Quote:

How much notice do you expect Australians to pay to it? I also recall seeing it in the paper. I thought, that's nice, shame about Bali and the Muslim terrorists in Melbourne, I guess they had to find something good to say about Muslims. It would be nice if they would take to the streets and show their opposition to fellow Muslim terrorists a bit more powerfully, but this will have to do.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 7:25pm

Oh and there's a little Sydney group on trial now too... Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print