Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Mohammedan (Read 7480 times)
Phillip

Australian Politics

Re: Mohammedan
Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:36pm

Soren wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 9:21pm:
Mohammedan points to the founder and the man followed. The term also paarallels 'Christian'.
It is a declension also used in other religious and non-religious group identifiers such as Methodist, Marxist, Anarchist and so forth.
It is no more insulting than any of these. Is there any insult in being  identified as a partisan, a follower of Mohammed?

It is certainly not as insulting as the terms used by Mohammedans to denote the 'out' groups (me among them) - infidel, kuffr and so on.

Language can reveal as well as conceal. I am concious of its unveiling power. Your squirming uncomfortably only confirms it.

No the proper comparison is "Christ worshiper" and we don't like it because we don't worship a prophet but rather God. Thats why in one linguistic sense Islam means submitting to the will of god.

also now that you brought up kaffir, i don't think that tag applies to you, since you need to be shown a pure uncorrupted form of Islam and reject to be a kaffir. And frankly your intense hate make me think you've never been expose to that.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:40pm

You know, I never pray to Jesus and only pray to God. Always have. I even got in trouble at Catholic primary school for telling the teacher that. They didn't like that, especially when I told them if Jesus is God what's the difference.

Yeah, I was never popular with teachers at school, except right at the end of primary school, when I did some standardised testing. Then schools I had been refused entry to had their principles come to my school and offer me acceptance.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:31pm

Soren wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 8:29pm:
Mohammedan is correct.

Mohammedan is incorrect on numerous counts:

i. Muslims worship Allah, not Muhammad (s). Muhammad (s) is the last in a line of Prophets, from Adam through Moses and Abraham, whom we believe all worshiped a single God. Since most people are familiar with the fact that Christians worship Christ, then it follows that they will mistakingly infer that Mohammedans worship Muhammad, a'uthubillah.

ii. Allah confirms in the Qur'an that the religion is called Islam:

This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. [5:3]

iii. The word Muslim and Islam are linked in grammar. If Islam is the religion, then according to grammatical rules of Arabic person who follows Islam is called a "Muslim".

iv. It should be sufficient that Muslims themselves have stated clearly that they do not want nor like the term, whether you find it fitting it or not. For example, I find the term "man-worshipers" accurately describes the practice of the majority of Christians, but would understand if they were offended by it.

If your intention is simply to annoy Muslims, then really, that type of name calling is something best left to primary school children.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:33pm

ah sick of hearing the moot point re worshipping allah not moh.

No one said a Mohammedan worshipped Moh.  In fact it is obvious who their God is and what they call him.

In fact I'm pretty sure it is the same God the Jews and Christians worship.

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:39pm

Grendel wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:33pm:
ah sick of hearing the moot point re worshipping allah not moh.

No one said a Mohammedan worshipped Moh.  In fact it is obvious who their God is and what they call him.

As I said, Muslims don't prefer the term since it is inferable that Muslims worship Muhammad in the same way Christians worship Christ.

If you're sick of hearing it, then the solution is simple - start using the word "Muslim" instead of "Muhammadan" - because everytime someone uses the term, a Muslim will be there to remind everyone that it's not the case.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:42pm

yawn...  really you need to read up on Christianity then and why would you assume non-Muslims don't understand the differences in various religions ?

Ah its that superiority complex isn't it.
Gotta watch that people will think you are arrogant or elitist.  Grin

Oh I've never used the term...  and I've already said I'm happy to use the contemporary term...  tsk tsk tsk...  never assume sam

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:44pm

Grendel wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:42pm:
yawn...  really you need to read up on Christianity then and why would you assume non-Muslims don't understand the differences in various religions ?

Well I used to be a Christian... never assume, grendel.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:55pm

never assumed anything....

don't care if you were a Calathumpian...

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:16pm

Sam wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
Mohammedan is correct.

i. Muslims worship Allah, not Muhammad (s). Muhammad (s) is the last in a line of Prophets, from Adam through Moses and Abraham, whom we believe all worshiped a single God. Since most people are familiar with the fact that Christians worship Christ, then it follows that they will mistakingly infer that Mohammedans worship Muhammad, a'uthubillah.

This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. [5:3]

iii. The word Muslim and Islam are linked in grammar. If Islam is the religion, then according to grammatical rules of Arabic person who follows Islam is called a "Muslim".

iv. It should be sufficient that Muslims themselves have stated clearly that they do not want nor like the term, whether you find it fitting it or not. For example, I find the term "man-worshipers" accurately describes the practice of the majority of Christians, but would understand if they were offended by it.

If your intention is simply to annoy Muslims, then really, that type of name calling is something best left to primary school children.

Mohammedan is the only correct term for those who do not accept islam.

i. Bollocks. Mohammedan is a follower of Mohammed. Lutherans don't worship Luther, they fololw him.

ii. Allah-Schmalla. By stealth you try to smuggle the authority of the koran and Allah deity into all our lives.

iii. I have no view on what the arabs say in arabic among themselves.

iv. Newspeak. I do not believe that Allah is a god nor, therefore, that Mohammed is his prophet. So the only point where we agree is that Mohammed is an example to you. So Mohammedan you are. No shamee in that, is there?

Talking about primary school when you can't have your way is a telling Freudian flash of self-revealing.

(Thank you Sigmund.)

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:24pm

Phillip wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:36pm:
also now that you brought up kaffir, i don't think that tag applies to you, since you need to be shown a pure uncorrupted form of Islam and reject to be a kaffir. And frankly your intense hate make me think you've never been expose to that.

Well, you are not rectifying that particular deficiency.
But then this is not the place, really,  for examplary self-projection.
mod: personal attack

I miss Lestat. At least he is true.

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:27pm by Gaybriel »  

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:50pm

Mo⋅ham⋅med⋅an   /mʊˈhæmɪdn, moʊ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation  [moo-ham-i-dn, moh-] Show IPA Pronunciation  

–adjective 1. of or pertaining to Muhammad or Islam; Islamic; Muslim.
–noun 2. an adherent of Islam; Muslim.

oh dear...  looks like it is proper English.

IP Logged

Daniel

La illaha illAllah!

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 9:10pm

Grendel wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:50pm:
Mo⋅ham⋅med⋅an   /mʊˈhæmɪdn, moʊ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation  [moo-ham-i-dn, moh-] Show IPA Pronunciation  

–adjective 1. of or pertaining to Muhammad or Islam; Islamic; Muslim.
–noun 2. an adherent of Islam; Muslim.

oh dear...  looks like it is proper English.

mod: personal attack

I'm also pretty sure the n-word, and other drerogatory words can be found in selected dictionaries, doesn't make them more favorable.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:28pm by Gaybriel »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Sam wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:44pm:

[/quote]

What went wrong?

And if you had a crisis, why did you not go back to the source and become a jew?

IP Logged

Gaybriel
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Soren wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:16pm:
Sam wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
Mohammedan is correct.

Mohammedan is the only correct term for those who do not accept islam.

i. Bollocks. Mohammedan is a follower of Mohammed. Lutherans don't worship Luther, they fololw him.

ii. Allah-Schmalla. By stealth you try to smuggle the authority of the koran and Allah deity into all our lives.

iii. I have no view on what the arabs say in arabic among themselves.

iv. Newspeak. I do not believe that Allah is a god nor, therefore, that Mohammed is his prophet. So the only point where we agree is that Mohammed is an example to you. So Mohammedan you are. No shamee in that, is there?

Talking about primary school when you can't have your way is a telling Freudian flash of self-revealing.

(Thank you Sigmund.)

soren- I think the thing that is causing issues here is that, personally, I do not see using a term that will not offend others as something that will a) take away my freedom of speech or b) start some brainwashing process

rather I see it as a kind of basic respect for others- why go out of my way to use a term that will offend other people?

obviously in using it you wish to make a point- that you don't believe in islam, that you believe muhammed isn't a prophet and therefore that islam is not the path to god. and that's fine- you can believe that and no worries at all- but I guess my point is, that your stance is quite well known here especially.

do you feel it necessary to continue to use the terminology when you know it may offend others?

because I get the feeling that your interest is more towards venting your spleen through whatever way possible, as opposed to getting along with others (note that this does not mean that you can't disagree).

I think (excuse me if I'm wrong) that you see acquiescing to someone elses request for respect etc- is like saying 'ok I bow to your will whatever it may be- go ahead and take over the world'- that's a pretty massive jump

if that's the case then there's not much more that can be said- because that is your attitude. but if this isn't the case, then maybe you should have a re-think

IP Logged

Gaybriel
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:29pm

Soren wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 9:19pm:
Sam wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:44pm:

What went wrong?

And if you had a crisis, why did you not go back to the source and become a jew?

[/quote]

Sam if you wish to answer the question about why you converted to Islam please do it in the appropriate thread- cheers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print