Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
pbuh (Read 12390 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: pbuh
Reply #30 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:35am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:33am:
Grendel the discussion is not about saying "pbuh" though, it's about writing it.

Yes I am having difficulties keeping myself patient with such childish and mindless banter.

ting bog mit mog.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:38am

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 6:00am

Grendel wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:13am:
ok Aboo

lets assume you pray 5 times a day.

Would it be acceptable to juast say
prayer 1.
prayer 2
prayer 3
prayer 4
prayer 5

I mean you've got the intention, concept and the representation.  How can it be any less...?

Because nobody said it's simply about intention, there has to be works as well otherwise nothing would ever be achieved. The point is, acceptance of works are not based on their outcomes but rather the intention behind them. Sure you can just say "one two three four five" and intend that as a prayer, and you'll get the reward for what you intended, which isn't really very much at all.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:08am

I'm sorry...  but I just argued with what was told to me... 

AS for praying for some reward...  is that why you pray?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:20am

Soren wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 6:42pm:
pbuh - it is so false, ostentetiously insincere.

Who can imagine that any really pious person would abbreviate a blessing, make it into an anagram! The very idea of a blessing is to pronounce, to breathe, to embody the blessing in one's life, the breath, to en-soul. To pause and honour.

People who pepper their writing with pbuh are  merely jostling and shouting to the gallery, yet in their hearts there is room and time for an anagram only. If they can't be faggged to utter a brief blessing in full, they should leave out the phoney, impious burping.

Is it not the same as writing "St" representing "Saint" for those Christians who are deemed to be in Heaven?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:38am

See your point but think you are arguing oranges and lemons there H.

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:41am

Grendel wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:08am:
I'm sorry...  but I just argued with what was told to me...  

No problem, glad to have been of assistance.

Grendel wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:08am:
AS for praying for some reward...  is that why you pray?

We pray out of love for Allah, to seek His pleasure and to perform what we consider an obligation.

Given that it is classified as an obligation, we believe there is a reward for doing it (and a sin for not doing it), however that is not the motivation.

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:41am

Grendel wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:38am:
See your point but think you are arguing oranges and lemons there H.

Doesn't a person become a saint through some type of official process in the church? I don't think we have the equivalent.

EDIT: Oops I get it, you're talking about the abbreviation, not actual Sainthood... sorry Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:49am by Sam »  

IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:46am

Soren wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 6:42pm:
pbuh - it is so false, ostentetiously insincere.

I think it's what's in the person's heart that counts, so it's hard to say one way or the other... note that I don't read it as "pbuh" rather I pronounce the full blessings when I reach it - "salallahu alayhi wasallam" - as such it simply acts as a reminder, and it would be pretty tedius to write it in full every time his name was mentioned, pbuh. (I also sometimes use the abbreviated (s) for the above, and the MV forums has a "smiley" with the full arabic text).

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #39 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:47am

Good poiint helian, although I'm sure most of our resident Christians will tell us they don't believe in Saints anymore so it's irrelevant.

Not to mention Dr, Mr, Mrs, UN, NATO, USA, UNESCO, UNRWA, CSIRO and all the other millions of abbreviations in common written usage and some even in verbal usage.

As has been pointed out, writing is a form of abbreviation, an alphabet is just a series of characters that enable us to encode higher/broader concepts into a symbolic form. In reality those symbols/characters have no meaning at all, other than the fact other human beings recognise them and their ascribed meanings. So since you've all been told what "pbuh" represents, you can now decode it in your mind everytime you read it, to represent "Peace be upon him", which you unconciously already decode everytime you read it anyway to represent the sounds we associate with those 17 characters.

Whether you represented the number Nine like this: 9

or like this: 1001

In the end it's the same concept represented, but by different symbols. One way takes up 1/4 the space and probably intellect to decipher, so that's why we humans use it everyday instead of the other.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:56am

Grasping at straws Aboo?

I think Soren has a point.

If you are happy to pbuh instead of "peace be upon him" then fine...  you can live with it.

Personally I see no need for it at all.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:58am

Quote:
Personally I see no need for it at all.

That's probably because Christianity and Judaism have very little respect for God's prophets. Even in the Bible, they are slandered and maligned.

So not surprising that you'd not see a need to invoke peace and blessings upon hearing their belessed names.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 11:02am

No...  it's probably because... I see no need for it...

Just like the hiccups or a nervous tic....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:12pm

If the english word 'poobah' came to mean 'peace be upon him' then you could say that instead, right?

Quote:
it would be pretty tedius to write it in full every time his name was mentioned, pbuh

Isn't it also tedious to say it?

Quote:
As has been pointed out, writing is a form of abbreviation

Not exactly, it is a conversion to a different form. If someone says CSIRO, then that is an abbreviation. Going from saying it to writing it adds complexity.

Quote:
an alphabet is just a series of characters that enable us to encode higher/broader concepts into a symbolic form

An alphabet encodes sounds, not concepts. By themselves those sounds have no meaning (except for maybe 'I'). It is when you string them together to represent a word that has meaning that they can start to represent concepts. So I don't really see the difference between using the abbreviation in writing and using it in sound. We don't have any funny rules that you can write CSIRO but you have to pronounce it fully.

Quote:
In reality those symbols/characters have no meaning at all, other than the fact other human beings recognise them and their ascribed meanings.

The symbols represent sounds, not meanings.

Quote:
So since you've all been told what "pbuh" represents

Not all of us have. It took me a while to figure it out. I had to ask I think. There are plenty of guests and 'drive by' members who would have no idea what you are on about. It reminds me of people who use text style writing on forums (eg l8 for late). When you get kids on forums doing that sort of thing, they usually get criticised for it.

Quote:
which you unconciously already decode everytime you read it anyway to represent the sounds we associate with those 17 characters

When I read CSIRO, I decode it into five letters, not five words. I don't even know what the five words are any more. I don't see that as disrespectful to the scientists who work there.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sam

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:36pm

freediver wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:12pm:
If the english word 'poobah' came to mean 'peace be upon him' then you could say that instead, right?

The way languages evolve, you just never know  Grin Perhaps one day a person will read AFAIK as "afayk" or IMHO as it sounds, or even read SMS shorthand in some weird form using letters and numbers, but generally we read them and understand them in their full form.

freediver wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:12pm:
Isn't it also tedious to say it?

No, not really, you get pretty quick at it after a while.  I don't find it tedious to say "As far as I know" every time I read AFAIK.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print