Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
pbuh (Read 12383 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: pbuh
Reply #45 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:39pm

Sam wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:46am:
it would be pretty tedius to write it in full every time his name was mentioned, pbuh. (I also sometimes use the abbreviated (s) for the above, and the MV forums has a "smiley" with the full arabic text).

Exactly - the tedium of ostentatious piety. It is bored and impatient to be really pious but it wants to appear pious. It is nothing but show-making.

ting bog mit mog.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:47pm

When people say Saint Paul, they are not necessarily indicating they respect the guy. Rather it is a way of indicating who they are talking to. Thus, if there was a chance of ambiguity, then pbuh, though tedious, would serve a useful function in language, in the same way as saying Muhammed the prophet to distinguish him from Muhammed Ali. However, beyond that it is a useless, repetitive phrase that is no different to adding 'I am a Muslim' to the end of every sentence. Islam does not require it. It is part of the cultural baggage that Tariq Ramadan would identify as separate from the religion and of no value.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:49pm

freediver wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:47pm:
When people say Saint Paul, they are not necessarily indicating they respect the guy. Rather it is a way of indicating who they are talking to. Thus, if there was a chance of ambiguity, then pbuh, though tedious, would serve a useful function in language, in the same way as saying Muhammed the prophet to distinguish him from Muhammed Ali. However, beyond that it is a useless, repetitive phrase that is no different to adding 'I am a Muslim' to the end of every sentence. Islam does not require it. It is part of the cultural baggage that Tariq Ramadan would identify as separate from the religion and of no value.

And they all said amen to that.

Sorry, some said ameen.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 3:21pm

freediver wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:47pm:

Don't you think its a bit on the arrogant side for a non Muslim to presume to instruct a Muslim on how he should address prophets when mentioning them in text or conversation?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 3:23pm

What instructions am I giving?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #50 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:07pm

freediver,

Quote:
If the english word 'poobah' came to mean 'peace be upon him' then you could say that instead, right?

Since we're not talking about saying anything, only writing, I'll just ignore this ridiculous comment.

Please stick with the program freediver, I know it's hard when your attention span is a little short, but please do try.

Quote:
Not exactly, it is a conversion to a different form.

Yes, but a symbolic form, which indicates some kind of abbreviation has occured. Otherwise we'd have about 2000 characters to represent each sound, if we were to encode them as they actually are.

Quote:
If someone says CSIRO, then that is an abbreviation. Going from saying it to writing it adds complexity.

Speech to text reduces complexity freediver. A sound is made up of thousands of bits of information, a single character is represented in just 1 (or in computers 8 bits, but for our purposes each character is just a single piece of information, that represents a complex sound).

Quote:
An alphabet encodes sounds, not concepts... ...The symbols represent sounds, not meanings.

Right, and if you read back I mentioned the concepts->sounds->text relationship earlier on.

Quote:
So I don't really see the difference between using the abbreviation in writing and using it in sound.

That's fine, and on a basic level I don't either.

Quote:
We don't have any funny rules that you can write CSIRO but you have to pronounce it fully.

Yeh well as you've come to know freediver, Islam is all about funny and bizarre rules which the rest of humanity just can't relate to. So no surprises there.

Quote:
Not all of us have. It took me a while to figure it out. I had to ask I think. There are plenty of guests and 'drive by' members who would have no idea what you are on about.

That's irrelevant, because we say it as an act of worship, not to convey a meaning to you. So it doesn't really matter if you recognise what it is or not, but I do remember explaining it when I first began here.

Quote:
It reminds me of people who use text style writing on forums (eg l8 for late). When you get kids on forums doing that sort of thing, they usually get criticised for it.

That's different as it's actually part of their message to you, and they expect you to comprehend it. I don't expect you to comprehend "pbuh".

Quote:
When I read CSIRO, I decode it into five letters, not five words.

Irrelevant to what I said. I stated "peace be upon him" gets decoded by humans back into the seventeen sounds.

Quote:
I don't see that as disrespectful to the scientists who work there.

Relevance to this conversation?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #51 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:11pm

soren,

Quote:
Exactly - the tedium of ostentatious piety. It is bored and impatient to be really pious but it wants to appear pious. It is nothing but show-making.

It is a prayer to God, so it really has nothing to do with you. You are not intended to comprehend nor analyse the contents of someones heart who says/writes/abbreviates it. So quite frankly your opinion is worth squat.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #52 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:30pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:11pm:
soren,

Quote:

It is a prayer to God, so it really has nothing to do with you. You are not intended to comprehend nor analyse the contents of someones heart who says/writes/abbreviates it. So quite frankly your opinion is worth squat.

Don't subject your non-muslim interlocutors like me to it if it is a prayer to god.  God knows what is in your heart and I find the pseudo-pious burping ostentatious and false.
In the mosque, among your co-religionists - whatever gets you through the meeting. But spare those who obviously do not share your private convictions. It is intrusive and so rude. It is very un-convivial.
I'll call you muslim if you stop it on this forum.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #53 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:36pm

Quote:
Don't subject your non-muslim interlocutors like me to it if it is a prayer to god.

If you don't like it, feel free to exit the thread, or the forum. Nobody is forcing you to be here... having to listen to it.

Quote:
God knows what is in your heart

What is in the heart must express itself, or it isn't really in there is it? Just the idea of it is. Kind of like Christianity and all the golden rule stuff, sounds nice in theory, but very little of it is translated into practise... no doubt because you think God knows what's in your heart, and that's enough.

Quote:
It is intrusive and so rude. Its is very un-convivial.

Fine, exit the thread, and the forum, if this is your feeling.

Au revoir.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:47pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:36pm:
What is in the heart must express itself, or it isn't really in there is it?

This is right.

But pbuh expresses that there is only a shorthand in your heart. Instead of bowing, you just doff your cap.

The rest of your post is infected with resentment. Still, I hope you are getting the desired hot flushes of rightousness.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #55 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:56pm

Quote:
Since we're not talking about saying anything, only writing, I'll just ignore this ridiculous comment.

I was talking about speach as well as writing. I was trying to make an important point, a point that holds regardless of whether it is in speech or writing.

Quote:
That's irrelevant, because we say it as an act of worship, not to convey a meaning to you.

An abbreviated act of worship? Like posting "cya l8r gd"? Is God supposed to be impressed with the little shortcuts? Is this the same concept as prayer flags?

If Islam is mostly rule based, but does not require this act of worship, but you do it anyway, but then you abbreviate it because you can't be bothered doing it properly, but no-one else needs to understand it anyway, isn't that getting a bit convoluted? Why not just say it but not post it? It reminds me those those guys in robes who walk round chanting and hitting themselves on the forhead with blocks of wood. It's an outwardly compulsive act of no value that has replaced something internal.

Quote:
What is in the heart must express itself, or it isn't really in there is it?

Is it really there if you can only be bothered expressing it in acronym form?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:58pm

Another pointless thread bumbles on to futility.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:07pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:58pm:

Hell, Ian, don't they all?!?!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:10pm

Soren wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:07pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:58pm:

Hell, Ian, don't they all?!?!

Not all, but some more than others... Sore N!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #59 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:25pm

Isn't it disrespectful to your audience to populate your writing with acronyms you do not intend them to understand?

A lot of people are quite vocal in their criticism of the unnecessary use of technical or unfamiliar acronyms, and justifiably so. But even in that case the author does generally expect the audience to understand. He does it more out of ignorance (of the ignorance of others).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print