Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
pbuh (Read 12378 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: pbuh
Reply #75 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:53pm

I always thought abu meant father, as in Abu Dhabi  أبو ظبي‎  - father of the gazelle.

It's similar to the Indo European words Apa, whence we get papa and ata whence we get vater and father, but it's more probably international baby talk. In mandarin it's baba, and in Swahili it's also baba.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #76 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Mantra,

Quote:
Sorry to get off topic - but I just noticed another Abu as a new member. Does Abu mean Mister in Islam?

Generally if you have a common prefix or suffix in names, it means "father of", or "son of", like Fitz or Mc in Scottish/Irish names. Abu means "father of".

Quote:
Can you laugh on this forum?

If you seek, and are granted, permission in advance, we do allow it from time to time.

soren,

Quote:
No mix up - Apu is in the punjabi dialect which is in fact the closest to the original sanskrit from where the arabic  Abu also derives.

Actually Apu is a Hindisation of the Arabic most likely. Father in Sanskrit is "Pitah" cognate with Latin "Pater" and English "Father".

The root "Ab" is father in the Semitic languages, and that's where you get words like "Abbey" and "Abbot" referring to "Fathers in the religion".

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:02pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:54pm:
Quote:
No mix up - Apu is in the punjabi dialect which is in fact the closest to the original sanskrit from where the arabic  Abu also derives.

Actually Apu is a Hindisation of the Arabic most likely. Father in Sanskrit is "Pitah" cognate with Latin "Pater" and English "Father".

The root "Ab" is father in the Semitic languages, and that's where you get words like "Abbey" and "Abbot" referring to "Fathers in the religion".

Quote:
Can you laugh on this forum?

Quote:
If you seek, and are granted, permission in advance, we do allow it from time to time.

Well, you did not get your permission in time for this post, then.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:06pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:54pm:
it means "father of", or "son of", like Fitz or Mc in Scottish/Irish names. Abu means "father of".

So you called your kid Rashid?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #79 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:07pm

muso wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:53pm:
I always thought abu meant father, as in Abu Dhabi  أبو ظبي‎  - father of the gazelle.

It's similar to the Indo European words Apa, whence we get papa and ata whence we get vater and father, but it's more probably international baby talk. In mandarin it's baba, and in Swahili it's also baba.

And how's yer father.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #80 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:08pm

Quote:
An abbreviated act of worship?

As has already been pointed out. Writing is symbolism. Encoding the words in 17 characters or 4 characters is still encoding them. Is Nine any different if it's written as 9 or 1001?? No, it's still the same.

Quote:
Is God supposed to be impressed with the little shortcuts?

Really you're a twisted fellow freediver. Why does it rub you up the wrong way so much? what bothers you that much about it? I write it, and will continue to do so, if you don't like it, and it really makes your life such a misery and is of such concern to you, simple don't engage in discussion with me.

What's even worse is you've sat back and not said a thing about it for many months now, yet all of a sudden it's such a strong issue, you;'re carrying on like it's the end of the world or something.

Quote:
but does not require this act of worship

It's an act of worship, it should be done. All acts of worship should be done. The only distinction is between those which MUST be done, and those that are optional. Even the optional ones SHOULD be done.

Quote:
but then you abbreviate it because you can't be bothered doing it properly

Never said I couldn't be bothered, so this is just your delusional mind adding to the discussion.

Quote:
Isn't it disrespectful to your audience to populate your writing with acronyms you do not intend them to understand?

Nope. If you don't know what it is, like most normal people, you ask.

I gotta tell you, in all the time I've debated non-Muslims on internet forums, probably well over 10 years now, I've never had anyone react to this like you and your wannabe skinhead mates here. Most people just ask, and then they know, end of story. But for you it's a whole production, another angle from which you perceive you can assault Islam from. You're a petty little person, really. Don't you just think to yourself whilst you're typing this tripe "How petty and useless is every single character I've just typed"???

Really, I'm just beside myself here, wondering what kind of jokers I'm facing... Get a life.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #81 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:14pm

Quote:

Perhaps. Kunyas (patronyms) can also be used as just a nickname. For instance Muhammad (pbuh) was known as Abu Qasim, even though he never had a son called Qasim.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #82 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:21pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:14pm:
Quote:

Perhaps. Kunyas (patronyms) can also be used as just a nickname. For instance Muhammad (pbuh) was known as Abu Qasim, even though he never had a son called Qasim.

Makes sense, like the rest of it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #83 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 1:12pm

Quote:
It's an act of worship, it should be done. All acts of worship should be done.

That's hardly logical. There are infinite acts of worship you could come up with. It's not possible to do them all. Why settle for the ones that are disrespectful to your audience?

Quote:
Never said I couldn't be bothered, so this is just your delusional mind adding to the discussion.

You don't have to say so. Your actions say it for you.

Quote:
Nope. If you don't know what it is, like most normal people, you ask.

It is still disrespectful. People shouldn't have to ask, and the vast majority do not ask. As you said, you do not expect them to understand it, nor do you care whether they do. That's about as disrespectful to your audience as you can get.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print