Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
democracy (Read 46738 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: democracy
Reply #75 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 10:18am

Didn't Mohammed say "My community will never agree in error"?  Isn't thisd a haddith?  Doesn't it therefore support democracy?

So are you now confusing democracy with LAW?

You say Sharia is immutable so therefore the standards set could be (in the future) 1000s of years old.  It seems to me that Islam and Sharia will never then move with the times or continue to need reinterpretation to fit with the times.  You failed to mention that Sharia has parts that are "mutable"  So I gather you see it consisting of Koran and Sunna only.

Did you mention your idea of Sharia?  Is it the Koran and Sunna only or does it include "classical fiqh" (laws/jurisprudence) in your interpretation?  You realise that there is a discrepency within Islam re this.  

Everyone is not equal before Sharia Law are they...  men and women. Muslims and non-Muslims.

Isn't it true that this "immutable" law of yours is subject to a tremendous variety in interpretation and implementation?

Do you really think that amputation, stoning and flogging are suitable punishments in today's world?

Do you think that having "religious police" in todays world acceptable.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 11:35am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 9:12am:
Quote:
If it is then hypothetically Shari'ah law can be over-ridden by a criminal minority.

Same can be said for Democracy or any other system, that's the most useless argument I've seen  presented in a while.

One of the main criticisms of Islam here is it's immutability, it is supposedly unable to cope with change, because it's laws are so fixed. Yet your argument seems to be that it's not fixed, and can just be changed at the whim of any criminal minority...

What we're talking about here tallowood is the system itself, not the hypothetical criminal minority who could seize power and implement something contrary to the system.

Yes, you have already said it about democracy so now you exposed the fallacy of you own assertion.

I never said that Islam is immutable quiet contrary early in the tread I have pointed out of good example of democracy in Muslim countries.

We are talking about a hypothetical situation and hypothetically it is possible that any system laws can be reinterpreted. However since you have acknowledged the fallacy of hypothetical approach it doesn't really matters any longer.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #77 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 11:50am

Quote:
What I'm poking at, is, are there underlying principles, which even trump the "will of the people"? If you answer no, then I'm sure you can, in some way, understand my opposition to Democracy.

Sure there are, but that doesn't lead to the rejection of democracy. It's like you are saying that democracy can't work because you can't vote out the law of gravity.

Quote:
If you answer yes... then you admit Democracy is not just a method of selecting a leader, or legislation directly, but is a set of principles and values that go much deeper (an ideology if you will). Which is what I've said all along, and what you've denied all along.

I'm denying it because it is not true. Democracy and freedom for example are a set of two principles and values. Democracy is one principle. Freedom is one principle. It only becomes a set when you put the two together. I have no idea why you assume that democracy by definition involves all those other principles. Is there some kind of logic behind that?

Quote:
Just a question, if the will of the majority decides to have only Shari'ah, do you accept that as Democratic?

Sure, that would be democratic. I am of course assuming that the undemocratic aspects of Shariah (eg the forbidding of democracy) are left out here. But if people decide to vote in medieval laws like chopping of hands, it is democratic.

Quote:
Likwise one could argue that the Australian system only allows those who intend to implement the secular/democratic laws to run...

Not exaclty. Democracy is fragile. You cannot directly prevent those who oppose democracy from gaining power and disposing of democracy.

Quote:
Why is it different? Because you just happen to agree with one set of laws and not the other?

What is different?

Quote:
With all that  above a democracy is still 100% better then theocracy because if small minority of perverts decides to to legalise

According to Rintrah (I think) Islam does not actually mandate theocracy, but rather dictatorship, with the clerics (you know, the ones that don't exist) as backseat drivers.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #78 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:09pm

Quote:
Didn't Mohammed say "My community will never agree in error"?  Isn't thisd a haddith?  Doesn't it therefore support democracy?

Grendel, this is a good point which some Muslims use to say democracy is acceptable Islamically. But the most accepted opinion on this issue is that "My community" referred to Muhammad's (pbuh) community in his time (ie. his companions only) and so their ijma' (consensus) is indeed a source of legislation, but it does not extend to the entire populace of Muslims.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 9:54pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jan 1st, 2011 at 4:07pm:
Quote:
So non-Muslims were not allowed to vote?

As far as I'm aware, not for head of state, no.

Quote:
How can you prove a dispute Abu? Please try to make sense.

I have made claims about the nature of democracy, you disputed them. That's the dispute. My side of the dispute is now being vindicated by your statements here. Simple really.

Quote:
Perhaps you should look back obver the thread and see what we were discussing Abu.

Yadda said Muslims reject the election of leaders. I _disputed_ this, and I think I am right. No mention of democracy in that line of debate.

Quote:
Abu, do you claim to know the 'real meaning' of democracy, while also rejecting it as a 'nonsensical ideology'?

Yes.

Can you please clarify Abu? As far as I can tell, your argument has not really progressed beyond equating support of democracy and placing the will of the majority above all else (freedom, justice etc). Is this what you claim was vindicated, and if so, how was it vindicated?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #80 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 11:34pm

What is vindicated is the position I've argued with you that democracy is an ideology, not merely a means of appointing a leader. In common discussions, democracy is often equated with the popular election of a leader (this is called a republic actually), whereas this is not quite correct. A democracy, like the ancient Greek democracy or other forms of direct democracy, may not even involve any election or appointment of a leader whatsoever.

Your dispute to this claim is that democracy is merely the popular election of a leader.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #81 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:33am

Quote:
What is vindicated is the position I've argued with you that democracy is an ideology, not merely a means of appointing a leader.

You could make an ideology out of cooking pancakes if you wanted. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with this. You imply that it is an ideology for me when it clearly is not, and presumably project the same onto others.

Quote:
In common discussions, democracy is often equated with the popular election of a leader (this is called a republic actually), whereas this is not quite correct. A democracy, like the ancient Greek democracy or other forms of direct democracy, may not even involve any election or appointment of a leader whatsoever.

Abu, democracy can mean election of a leader. That is how language works. Words have the meaning that people ascribe to them now, not in ancient Greece.

Quote:
Your dispute to this claim is that democracy is merely the popular election of a leader.

I promote direct democracy Abu. I have told you this before.

BTW, we call them representatives, not leaders. They are meant to represent our views and we turf them out when they fail to do so.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #82 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 8:48pm

freediver wrote on Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:33am:
Quote:
What is vindicated is the position I've argued with you that democracy is an ideology, not merely a means of appointing a leader.

You could make an ideology out of cooking pancakes if you wanted. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with this. You imply that it is an ideology for me when it clearly is not, and presumably project the same onto others.

You may not think it is an ideology, but most of the rest of the world, including our dictionaries does!

And since the opinion in this favours most of the rest, and not you... it is an ideology.

The vote is merely a means to achieve democracy.

But anyways... who cares if it is an ideology or not? What is the point of this thread other than to recognise the bloomin' obvious?

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #83 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:35pm

Quote:
You may not think it is an ideology, but most of the rest of the world, including our dictionaries does!

What is the most common saying about democracy? "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." Does that sound like an ideology to you?

Freedom, justice, equality - these are ideologies. Democracy is not. It is only as good as the will of the majority.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #84 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 10:42am

fd,

Quote:
Freedom, justice, equality - these are ideologies.

clearly you do not even know what the word ideology means fd, so it's no wonder you cannot correctly identify democracy as an ideology.

sappho,

Quote:
The vote is merely a means to achieve democracy.

Slight correction, one means. There are other means by which to implement the ideology of democracy that don't involve an election of representatives.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Luqman

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 6:12pm

sorry i took so long to get into this thread.

maybe it has been said before,

but the reason why direct democracy with uninformed or an apathetic electorate will not work is because of the flat earth effect.

humans aren't rational creatures and the only states where the citizens have sufficient discipline to engage in direct democracy is switzerland, a place where people will vote to raise taxes instead of having government deficits.

the other problem is the obvious majority wins.. but if it is 51% vs 49% you're still going to have half the country pissed off.

hence i propose a platonic philosopher kings or rule by majelis solution.

you could train people to be this kind of leader, let the state support them for their entire life, ban them from being lobbied etc.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #86 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 8:31am

Quote:
but the reason why direct democracy with uninformed or an apathetic electorate will not work is because of the flat earth effect.

It is quite easy to combine direct democracy with the benefits of representative democracy.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#direct-democracy

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:31am

freediver wrote on Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:33am:
Quote:

Democracy is a perfect example of ideology. Ideology is something people believe is natural, but that has been manufactured or constructed. Race, gender and class are all ideological constructs.

Democracy itself is a political system, but it's recent George W Bush manifestation is clearly an ideology. The idea that you can export and set up a political system is not ideological - but the belief that a system is natural and a human right - and that it will work because of this - is very ideological.

Ideology is what happens when people ignore history.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #88 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:12pm

falah wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 2:40pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm:
I sent an email to the immigration minister a while back asking whether we had a policy on immmigration of people with ideologies that oppose democracy and freedom, like Islamism, Nazism and Zionism. I still haven't recieved a response. Does anyone know what our policy is?

Thiis thread is a good example of the lies that the sustainability party stand for.

Islam does not prohibit voting.

Great big liars advocating political parties is a real turn off.

Falah, can you explain how democracy works in Islam?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 11:17am

Does Australia have full democracy?

Only about 28% of people in Australia actually voted for the current government. How democratic is that?

Why is it that nearly half the people in Australia didn't vote?

Freeliar, why is it that about 6.5 million people in Australia are not allowed to vote?

Freeliar why did 6 million Australians who are allowed to vote did not bother to either enrol or vote?

People not allowed  to vote in Australia:

*People under the age of 18 - despite being considered by law to know the difference between right and wrong at age 10.

*People in jail

*Permanant residents

*Temporary residents

*People on humanitarian visas

*Tourists

*People without visas

*Foreign diplomats and dignitaries

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print