Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hindu extremists' reward to kill Christians (Read 926 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Hindu extremists' reward to kill Christians
Feb 16th, 2009 at 5:04pm

Hindu extremists' reward to kill Christians, as Britain refuses to bar members

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5186703.ece

Extremist Hindu groups offered money, food and alcohol to mobs to kill Christians and destroy their homes, according to Christian aid workers in the eastern state of Orissa.

The allegations follow the British Government’s refusal to prevent members of two radical groups linked to the worst antiChristian violence in India since Partition entering Britain.

The US-based head of a Christian organisation that runs several orphanages in Orissa – one of India’s poorest regions – claims that Christian leaders are being targeted by Hindu militants and carry a price on their heads. “The going price to kill a pastor is $250 (£170),” Faiz Rahman, the chairman of Good News India, said.

A spokesman for the All-India Christian Council said: “People are being offered rewards to kill, and to destroy churches and Christian properties. They are being offered foreign liquor, chicken, mutton and weapons. They are given petrol and kerosene.”

Orissa has suffered a series of murders and arson attacks in recent months, with at least 67 Christians killed, according to the Roman Catholic Church. Several thousand homes have been razed and hundreds of places of worship destroyed, and crops are now wasting in the fields.

In recent weeks the violence has subsided but at least 11,000 Christian refugees remain in camps in Kandhamal, the district worst affected. “They are too scared to go home. They know that if they return to their villages they will be forced to convert to Hinduism,” Father Manoj, who is based at the Archbishop’s office in Bhubaneshwar, the state capital, said.

The violence was triggered in August by the murder of Swami Lakshmanananda Saraswati, a senior figure in the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), a hardline Hindu group, who had campaigned against the alleged forced conversions of poor Hindus by foreign-backed Christian missionaries.

Maoist militants claimed responsibility for the killing, but the VHP blamed Christians and called for revenge. This week extremists said that if Mr Lakshmanananda’s killers were not caught by December 15 they would begin a day of violence on December 25.

A group of Catholic bishops from Orissa believe that the attacks have a sinister objective.

In a letter to the state’s chief minister they wrote: “This conflict is a calculated and preplanned masterplan to wipe out Christianity from Kandhamal in order to realise the hidden agenda . . . of establishing a Hindu nation.”

This month Lord Malloch-Brown, Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, turned down a plea for members of the RSS and the Bajrang Dal, the youth wing of the VHP, to be barred from entering Britain.

“Neither organisation is proscribed in the United Kingdom or in India, nor do the Indian Government classify either as a terrorist organisation,” Lord Malloch-Brown said, in reply to a question from Lord Patten of Barnes. There have been calls from members of India’s ruling government coalition for the RSS and Bajrang Dal to be banned but analysts say the Government is unlikely to act for fear of alienating Hindu voters in the run-up to general elections in the spring.

The RSS has been outlawed temporarily three times; the first in 1948, after a former member assassinated Mahatma Gandhi.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
pink 'knickers' to pub ban bullies
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 5:06pm

Facebook women say 'knickers' to pub ban bullies

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5702370.ece

A group of young Indian women plan to send pink knickers to a Hindu radical organisation that attacked female students in a pub last month and is also threatening to target unmarried couples celebrating Valentine’s Day.

The Consortium of Pub-going, Loose and Forward Women – which had more than 10,000 members by last night – is urging Indian women to defy the radicals by enjoying a drink at their nearest pub on Saturday.

The group was founded on Face-book last week in protest at the Sri Ram Sena (Lord Ram’s Army), which assaulted several young women last month in a pub in Mangalore, a college town in the southern state of Karnataka.

Pramod Mutalik, the SRS leader, said at the time that his followers were “custodians of Indian culture” who had prevented the women at the pub from going astray.

That prompted outrage from women’s rights activists and stirred a national debate about culturally acceptable behaviour for women in a society that is changing but still deeply conservative. Mr Mutalik was arrested but has been bailed. He has vowed to force unmarried couples found together on Valentine’s Day to either get married or to tie rakhis – string bracelets – on their wrists signifying that they are brother and sister.

The consortium responded by asking supporters to send in pinkchaddi– Hindi slang for underwear – which it will post to the SRS on Friday.

Nisha Susan, 29, a journalist from Karnataka, told The Times that she started the group after reading about the attack in Mangalore and the subsequent threats by the SRS. “It wasn’t a serious thing at first, but now it’s becoming something bigger,” she said.

Ms Susan said she had been overwhelmed by responses from men and women who wanted to protect their constitutional rights: “Most of us are just regular people. We decided to give the Sri Ram Sena attention, but not the kind they want.”

The chaddi gesture is an allusion to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), the biggest and oldest group in the Hindu nationalist movement, which includes the SRS and the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party. RSS members are often called chaddi wallahs because their uniform includes baggy khaki shorts. “These people are not loonies – they’re guys looking for political capital,” Ms Susan said. “The worrying thing is that we’ve seen before in this region how there can be a period of freedom and then it’s taken away. Look at Afghanistan.”

Renuka Chowdhury, the Minister for Women, denounced the attack in Mangalore as a symptom of the “Tale-banisation” of India, where Hindu radicals have also protested against kissing in Bollywood films and cheerleaders at cricket matches.

Other officials have voiced support for the idea that is “unIndian” for women to visit pubs – or even to hold hands with men in public. “We definitely condemn the incident where women were attacked but the pub culture must stop,” Anbumani Ramadoss, the Health Minister, said last month.

There was no comment from Mr Mutalik, but he has made it clear that he will continue his campaign against “Western deviations” from Indian culture. “Valentine’s Day is definitely not Indian culture,” he was quoted as saying last week. “We will not allow celebration of that day in any form.”

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Hindu extremists' reward to kill Christians
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:32pm

The Hindu Militant Extremists sound terrible.

If the British Government has refused them entry to Britain - I hope Rudd does the same if they attempt to come here.  
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 7:23pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:02pm

Are you sure they're Hindus fd? I was reassured (by yourself actually) that only Muslims and Islam are like this. All other religions are generally nice, friendly, ethical, moral belief systems. Only Islam has extremists like this, no?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:59pm

I'll second that matra, we should not let anyone in, whose religion not only condones, but actively encourages, violence.

This particular sect has been causing trouble for as long as I can remember, and the indian government should do something to shut them down.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:15pm

mozzaok wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:59pm:
This particular sect has been causing trouble for as long as I can remember, and the indian government should do something to shut them down.

Yes, they're very active in India against Indians who criticise Hindu customs. Deepa Mehta has been threatened with death for the production of her movies,  Fire, Earth and Water, each of them being a critique on Hindu customs.

Fire deals with the issue of lesbianism a strictly taboo subject. Earth deals with the tragedy of partition and Water the plight of widows in Hindu society who are considered very bad luck and are treated abysmally. They are all excellent movies that challenge Indian society to confront injustice enshrined in religious dogma.

Water follows the life of a child bride who was widowed before she met her husband 40 years her senior. As an 8 or 9 year old she is condemned to wearing white (the colour of death in India) and sent to live with widows who are at almost the lowest status rank and are forced to live like beggars. Hindu fundamentalists threatened to burn any cinema that showed the movies and threatened to murder Deepa Mehta.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:23pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:02pm:
Are you sure they're Hindus fd? ...

Apparently not but I would like to see frequency stats to be sure who is more violent muslims or hindus. Woould you like to see the stats too?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:50pm

Oh I'd like to see stats...  and a map.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print