Send Topic Print
Bud Tingwell (Read 2058 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Bud Tingwell
May 20th, 2009 at 7:58pm

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25486771-10229,00.html

A great Australian man..war hero first and foremost and of course ,actor..one of my favourites in fact.

R.I.P Bud Tingwell

---------------------------------

Much loved actor dies
Bud Tingwell died in Melbourne this morning with his son and daughter by his side.

VETERAN Australian actor Charles "Bud" Tingwell died this morning, aged 86.

Tingwell passed away in a Melbourne hospital at 8.30am with his son and daughter by his side,  his spokesperson, Joanne Baker told news.com.au.

He died due to complications with prostate cancer, Baker said.

Tingwell had been diagnosed with the disease a couple of years ago.

Best known for his roles in film Breaker Morant, TV shows Homicide, All The Rivers Run and more recently, film The Castle, Tingwell was still acting in films and on stage until recently.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said Tingwell was "in every sense an Australian legend".

"He is so much a part of the Australian character as it's been shaped and as it will evolve in the future," he said.

"A great Australian and all Australians are sad to see his passing.''

Your Say
Charles Tingwell was a giant of a man, a fabulous character and a hardscrabble actor, well known by most Australians for his reverent charm.

Actor Jack Thompson, whose parents were friends with Tingwell when Thompson was a boy, told Sky News it was a pleasure to have known him.

"A great tree has been felled in our culture," Thompson, who appeared opposite Tingwell in Breaker Morant, said.

"There cannot be a better person to pass on his craft … to young actors."

The team behind Working Dog, which includes Rob Sitch and Tom Gleisner and worked with Tingwell on TV's The Late Show and movies The Castle and The Dish, said Tingwell would be sadly missed.

"He was a real gentleman, always smiling, always enthusiastic and a thorough professional, whether appearing in a big budget feature or a one off comedy sketch," they said.

"He also took a keen interest in supporting young people making film and television. "

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2009 at 8:07pm by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

skippy
Ex Member

Re: Bud Tingwell
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:27pm

What a great man, I remember watching him on homicide when I was a kid,as well as all the movies, he did seem like a real gentleman, it's a bit like losing your grandad.

RIP bud.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:35pm

yes i have to agree with that skippy..one of the nicest men.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Darwin
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2009 at 8:31pm

Amen!

IP Logged

Senexx

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:48pm

I don't know all his work but I was a big fan.

I was very peeved when I learnt he was in The Man from Snowy River stage show (the one with the horses).

There was an event nearby around the time that was going on but I did not know he was a cast member or I would have made sure I went.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print