Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Infidelity boosts marriage: psychologist (Read 9161 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Infidelity boosts marriage: psychologist
Jan 1st, 2010 at 10:04pm

Quote:
Wives should welcome their husbands' extramarital affairs as a sign of a healthy marriage, France's most prominent female psychologist has suggested.

Maryse Vaillant claims French men should stop being castigated for being womanisers and that keeping a mistress can actually improve a marriage.

In Men, Love, Fidelity, a new book on the effects of infidelity on married life, Miss Vaillant writes that her aim is to "rehabilitate infidelity".

According to figures cited in the book, an estimated 39 per cent of French men cheat on their wives at some stage. "[Most] don't do it because they no longer love them, on the contrary," she writes. "They simply need breathing space. For such men, who are in fact profoundly monogamous, infidelity is almost unavoidable."

Once French women accept that the "fidelity is not natural but cultural", and that infidelity is essential to the "psychic functioning" of certain men who are still very much in love, it can be a "very liberating" for women, she writes.

One woman bound to disagree is Sylvie Brunel, who recently became the first ex-wife of a serving minister to write an expose on his alleged infidelity, and midlife crisis.

In her Guerrilla Handbook for Women, Miss Brunel, 49, claims Eric Besson, France's minister of immigration and national identity, was an insatiable cheat with "interchangeable mistresses".

At their wedding in 1983, when the mayor began reciting the vows of "fidelity, aid and support", she says Mr Besson commented: "Fidelity, no."

Miss Brunel, although "humiliated", convinced the shocked mayor it was a joke. But Mr Besson was, she claims, unfaithful for five years before their marriage and 25 years afterwards, adding: "I can't say I wasn't warned."

Mr Besson left his wife for a woman "almost as young as our eldest daughter" and who "oozed narcissism from every pore of her pretty skin", according to his ex-wife.

Mr Besson described her book as "shameless". She hit back, saying: "What's shameless is the way you've treated me for 30 years."

Miss Vaillant insists in her book that fidelity is not proof of love. In fact, "pathological monogamists" in many cases lack the strength of mind to take a mistress, she suggests.

"They are often men whose father was physically or morally absent. These men have a completely idealised view of their father and the paternal function," she writes.

"They lack suppleness and are prisoners to an idealised image of a man of duty."

Several high-profile French politicians have been reported to have had mistresses. Valery Giscard d'Estaing's alleged love of women was given greater credence when his car collided with a milk truck at dawn during his presidency. The whole country assumed he had been returning from a tryst with a mistress - and his opinion poll ratings went up.

The late Francois Mitterrand would spend most nights with his mistress, Anne Pingeot. The existence of their secret love child, Mazarine, was only disclosed after he died.

Jacques Chirac recently admitted in a book: "There have been women I have loved a lot, as discreetly as possible".

Miss Vaillant was divorced 20 years ago but said she had since been in a "stable" and "faithful" relationship.

The Daily Telegraph

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/lifematters/infidelity-boosts-marriage-psycholog...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: Infidelity boosts marriage: psychologist
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 10:59pm

Ah yes, a man cannot have every night fish fish fish, sometimes he need some chicken... Grin

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 10:20am

How interesting and I totally agree..it should work both ways of course..I have never considered the core concept of marriage as being workeable or realistic for this very reason..

That said it would still be a very hard introduce this concept  as the norm by the majority of females and many men.

So for as long as it took this cultural 'norm' , ie"fidelity" at all costs ,to become such a core concept that even divorces are/were to be based on, it make take the same length of time to phase the concept out .

Marriage vows should not be based on obligations, but until it is clear that love no longer lives in a relationship and be acted on according to that..

Infidelity is not a sign your partner doesnt love you anymore.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:59pm by The Mole »  

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:45pm

I don't see how this makes sense. The men need breathing space so they take a mistress to get smothered by another person on the side? I suppose I must be one of those pathological monogamists (although both of my parents were usually absent), but I would never cheat on someone and I would never accept infidelity from anyone around me. If I found out that one of my friends was unfaithful to their partner then our relations will be broken off because it is really unacceptable behaviour in my opinion.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:38pm

men can easily stay faithful, its just these days we are encouraged not to so much that many feel they have a right to cheat.

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 4:12pm

This is not really about fidelity as I see it , but more the whole concept of marriage is bound up by expectations that have nothing to do with reality..

Sure some pp are happy to remain faithful for the term of they're marriage but  a great many are not..they merely exist in a marriage and they are unhappy . They are adhering to expectations by partner and society that says they must live their life according to a law drawn up by some draconian heirarchy in the 1800s or so, that does not apply to everyone ( but does to some, the conformists who are happy to live their life dancing to a preordained set of rules).

I guess those pp should never get married but for those who do and there are millions, its a terrible trap to try to escape from once kids come along and the all the nasty reality of just how restrictive that peice of paper that they signed on the happiest day of their life , can be..

Marriage has been out dated for a long time and is why its not nearly so popular anymore..

Men are usually the losers from marriage..think about that. Marriage is for women and children..men go along with it...

Ive heard it said most men would not marry of they didnt have to.

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 4:14pm

Classic Liberal wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:38pm:
men can easily stay faithful, its just these days we are encouraged not to so much that many feel they have a right to cheat.

If they were happy why would they want to exercise that right?

IP Logged

pope urban 2

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 5:55pm

If you need to cheat your with the wrong partner, or she is.
And to all those guys who think just putting it in is enough, it aint.

God takes care of old folks and fools, while the Devil makes up all the rules.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 2:08am

Quote:
I guess those pp should never get married but for those who do and there are millions, its a terrible trap to try to escape from once kids come along and the all the nasty reality of just how restrictive that peice of paper that they signed on the happiest day of their life , can be..

Marriage has been out dated for a long time and is why its not nearly so popular anymore..

Men are usually the losers from marriage..think about that. Marriage is for women and children..men go along with it...

Ive heard it said most men would not marry of they didnt have to.

It doesn't really matter if a couple is married or not. The government deems the contract valid even if there is none.
Soon there will be a penance to be paid to hookers.
Let's face it, it's just an ulterior motive to keep men working until they drop dead. Economically driven crap.
The day that men accept themselves for what they are will be a massive step forward against those who control them.

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 7:10pm

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if a couple is married or not. The government deems the contract valid even if there is none.
Soon there will be a penance to be paid to hookers.
Let's face it, it's just an ulterior motive to keep men working until they drop dead. Economically driven crap.
The day that men accept themselves for what they are will be a massive step forward against those who control them.

True but society is set up to protect the kids that are born to any union married or not..so thats not surprising is it..

I would like you to expand on the 'economically driven crap 'when you have a mo' amadd.. I need to know further your thoughts there.

Its obvious you are protective of the rights of men and all men should be aware and protective of same..women are protective of their rights as well ,but as we are the 'weaker sex', we have to talk a lot to be heard, hence we use the media to get our message across and in doing so inflict our 'cause' upon even those who dont want it/are not interested, thereby alienating pp who might otherwise not rail against feminism if not provoked/sickened by it.

I am not a feminist/hate feminism..it has buggered relationships between men and women..up to a point., but like every woman I constantly have to say that I am not a feminist because the feminist movement has tarnished the name of all women, even if they dont know it.

IP Logged

Megalodon

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 8:35pm

Why do people even bother getting married anymore? Hardly anyone makes the effort in getting a marriage to work. It feels like we put all our energy into throwing the best wedding party and outdoing other idiots whom we've always hated but as soon as the honeymoon ends, we give up. When things don't go our way, we run to the nearest divorce lawyer.

Aussie to everyone: "It's all your fault!"

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 10:29pm

Megalodon wrote on Jan 10th, 2010 at 8:35pm:
Why do people even bother getting married anymore? Hardly anyone makes the effort in getting a marriage to work. It feels like we put all our energy into throwing the best wedding party and outdoing other idiots whom we've always hated but as soon as the honeymoon ends, we give up. When things don't go our way, we run to the nearest divorce lawyer.

It depends on the person. If they do not want a marriage, they shouldn't get one in the first place. I don't think people understand what they're getting themselves into sometimes. In my opinion, unless it's "until death do us part", it's not marriage.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 6:33pm

Quote:
I am not a feminist/hate feminism..it has buggered relationships between men and women..up to a point., but like every woman I constantly have to say that I am not a feminist because the feminist movement has tarnished the name of all women, even if they dont know it.

Seriously? Feminism gave you the semi equal rights you enjoy today. I'm not a fan of militant, ball busting, hairy feminism myself, but to say you hate the movement that fought for your right to equality is hypocritical if you've ever voted or worked as anything but a scullery maid.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 9:45pm

@Annie,

The female vote only came a few years after male suffrage was won and decades before aboriginal suffrage here in Australia.

Prior to male suffrage, only the landed males could vote.

Female suffrage should not be likened to feminism. It was not feminism. 

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 10:25pm

Sappho wrote on Jan 12th, 2010 at 9:45pm:
@Annie,

The female vote only came a few years after male suffrage was won and decades before aboriginal suffrage here in Australia.

Prior to male suffrage, only the landed males could vote.

Female suffrage should not be likened to feminism. It was not feminism.  

That is eyewateringly stupid. Even from a sapphic lady...

If suffrage, the right to participate, as equals, in public affairs was not feminism (understood as the political and social movement for political and social emancipation, ie equality), then what the hell is??

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print