Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Evolution is not a scientific theory (Read 33892 times)
locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: Evolution is not a scientific theory
Reply #45 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 3:41pm

+++1

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 4:43pm

Ziggy

You failed to mention that other species like Caviidae; Capybaras; some Passerine birds & bats have also lost there ability to synthesise Vitamin C.   Does this mean we are also related to them through evolution?   

The theory of evolution is about as wacked-out as the theory of creationism.

Both fundamentally flawed, and have no place being taught to children as being factual.

If we look at the timeline of say 1 million years for humanity to evolve from Homo Rhodesians to current Homo Sapiens, then shouldn’t the question be asked as to why humanity is the only species that has evolved.

Elephants and blue whales have larger brains than humans, but they have not evolutionarily evolved over the past 1 million years. Pygmy Shrews have a ratio of brain mass which is roughly equal to that of humans, but they haven’t evolutionarily evolved over the past 1 million years. 

If human beings have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C, how could that be considered evolution?  A species that loses its ability to synthesise an important vitamin for its own well being doesn’t say evolution.

IP Logged

Ziggy

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Quote:
You failed to mention that other species like Caviidae; Capybaras; some Passerine birds & bats have also lost there ability to synthesise Vitamin C.   Does this mean we are also related to them through evolution?  

Here you go, Culldav:

...... researchers were able to use evolutionary theory to make some testable predictions. If the ancestors of humans, the other higher primates, and guinea pigs originally had the ability to synthesize vitamin C then each of these species should still carry the evidence of this lost ability in their genetic material. In addition, researchers predicted that humans and the other higher primates would likely have the same cause for this lost ability, since the scientific evidence suggested that they have all descended from a relatively recent common ancestor. In other words, they predicted that it wasn't a mere coincidence; decent from a common ancestor was the explanation for why humans and other primates are all unable to synthesize vitamin C. Finally, researchers predicted that guinea pigs, a species that was known to be only distantly related to primates, would most likely show evidence of a different cause for this lost ability.

Eventually, researchers confirmed each of these predictions by finding GULO-related DNA sequences in genomes of humans, other higher primates, and guinea pigs. Just as predicted, the sequences exist as broken genes meaning that they are present but non-functional. Here you can see a portion of the human, chimpanzee, orangutan, macaque, and guinea pig sequences compared to the functional GULO sequence found in a cow. This evidence suggests that a frame shift mutation is what originally rendered the GULO gene non-functional in the ancestor of higher primates by creating a premature stop codon. Just as expected, this particular mutation is not found in the same location of the guinea pig sequence. Instead, the evidence suggests that a point mutation in a different part of the guinea part sequence may have been what broke the GULO gene in the ancestor of the modern guinea pigs, again, by creating a premature stop codon. These completely separate mutations both had the same result: they deactivated the GULO enzyme and rendered the bearers of the mutation and all of their descendants unable to produce their own vitamin C. For the animals that originally inherited these mutations their natural diet probably provided all of the vitamin C they needed. This explains how such a seemingly harmful mutation could become so prevalent that it is now found in all members of these populations. A closer analysis of the DNA sequences confirms another prediction of evolutionary theory. In comparison to humans, the chimpanzee's sequence was the most similar, followed by the orangutan's sequence, followed by the macaque's sequence, followed by the guinea pig and cow sequences. Furthermore, ever since the original mutations broke the genes the altered genetic material has accumulated mutations at exactly the rate that is predicted by the evolutionary theory.

So, there you have it. A close examination of the evidence leads to a powerful explanation of a large set of biological observations. These observations only make sense using the real science of evolution.

http://en.wikicaptions.org/wiki/Youtube:SF2N2lbb3dk

There's nothing whacked out about evolution.  

Quote:
Both fundamentally flawed, and have no place being taught to children as being factual.

Wrong as far as evolution is concerned. The above should help you understand this.

Quote:
If we look at the timeline of say 1 million years for humanity to evolve from Homo Rhodesians to current Homo Sapiens, then shouldn’t the question be asked as to why humanity is the only species that has evolved.

You seem to have some weird idea about evolution floating around in your head. Of course other species have undergone evolution- whales, for example.

Quote:
Elephants and blue whales have larger brains than humans, but they have not evolutionarily evolved over the past 1 million years. Pygmy Shrews have a ratio of brain mass which is roughly equal to that of humans, but they haven’t evolutionarily evolved over the past 1 million years.

Yup, you have some weird idea about it . How do you think blue whales came to be? Just popped into existence? Have you seen the fossil record on whales?  We still have Crocs that have been about for milllions of years. That doesn't mean that evolution hasn't occurred in other lifeforms. Look at the fossil record. Look at moths and industrialism, look at bacteria changing to become antiboitic resistant- It's all EVOLUTION.

Quote:
If human beings have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C, how could that be considered evolution?  A species that loses its ability to synthesise an important vitamin for its own well being doesn’t say evolution.

Evolution doesn't mean ever onward and upward to some  kind of perfection that you might imagine- it's genetic change and natural selection. That primates lost the ability to synthesize vitamin C didn't make them unfit to survive did it? So , they stuck around.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #48 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:48pm

culldav wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 4:43pm:
Ziggy

You failed to mention that other species like Caviidae; Capybaras; some Passerine birds & bats have also lost there ability to synthesise Vitamin C.   Does this mean we are also related to them through evolution?  

If human beings have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C, how could that be considered evolution?  A species that loses its ability to synthesise an important vitamin for its own well being doesn’t say evolution.

You mean homo rhodesiensis I take it?

This Wikipedia article is quite good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

Evolution of the Elephant:
http://elephant.elehost.com/About_Elephants/Stories/Evolution/evolution.html

What makes you think that the Elephant has not evolved significantly, even in the last 1 million years? There would not be a great deal of difference morphologically between homo habilis and modern man if you were looking at it from the perspective of an elephant.  From a human perspective all Elephants look alike too.

You've got the wrong end of the stick if you think that evolution always leads to improvements. Sometimes evolution hits a brick wall and some species become extinct.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:05pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #49 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:50pm

.. extinct even???

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #50 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:55pm

I've read through this topic .. and I still maintain that we should teach BOTH evolution AND creationism.

Why?

1) We all ought to know what these competing paradigms consist of.

2) We all ought to be able to make informed decisions based on the information we have available.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #51 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:08pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:55pm:
I've read through this topic .. and I still maintain that we should teach BOTH evolution AND creationism.

Why?

1) We all ought to know what these competing paradigms consist of.

2) We all ought to be able to make informed decisions based on the information we have available.

We almost agree. I just think that evolution should be taught as part of biology, while creationism should be taught as part of social science or study of religions. Creationism is really just an extension of a specific religion or certain sects within that religion. (Abrahamic Monotheism)  . It is certainly not a competing paradigm within biology.

Thanks for the pick up on my typo.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Ziggy

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:12pm

Ermm, carry on.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #53 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:31pm

We almost agree. I just think that evolution should be taught as part of biology, while creationism should be taught as part of social science or study of religions.

- Muso

No .. we actually agree! My original posts were a tad general in nature.

I merely stated that both paradigms ought to be taught; I never outlined/stipulated under which discipline/s.

I'll endeavour to be more thorough in future Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #54 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:38pm

And .. Muso .. I believe I need new specs!!!

.. sighs ..

I must be very tired .. I could have sworn the last word in your 2nd last post was "exist" .. which prompted my correction to "extinct"

Yet I'm still 100% sure your post had a typo in it. However that doesn't appear to be the case now????

????

I give up!

Please accept my apologies .. I was only trying to be helpful.

It's been a long day.

Regards Lisa

IP Logged

Ziggy

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:31pm:
We almost agree. I just think that evolution should be taught as part of biology, while creationism should be taught as part of social science or study of religions.

- Muso

No .. we actually agree! My original posts were a tad general in nature.

I merely stated that both paradigms ought to be taught; I never outlined/stipulated under which discipline/s.

I'll endeavour to be more thorough in future Smiley

Nooooooooooo, you did more than that. You called them COMPETING PARADIGMS...You've just shifted ground.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #56 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:43pm

Ahh I see now lol .. the modify function allows you to go back and correct your own posts!

... and Muso edited his post lol Smiley

Ok .. let's move on!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:49pm

muso wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:48pm:
You've got the wrong end of the stick if you think that evolution always leads to improvements. Sometimes evolution hits a brick wall and some species become extinct.

I like this hidden/unselfconciously religious angle to your take on evolution. No evolutionist has ever thought that evolution is just chaotic change. The only way it has ever been conceptualised is as a process of improvement. There is an unconscious Robinson Crusoe aspect to it, or a teleology, if you like.

The odd thing is - it does not work with us. We do not adopt to our environment but alter it to our needs. We have imposed society (civilisation) between ourselves and nature.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #58 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:55pm

Umm Ziggy or whoever you are ..

Evolution --->scientific paradigm

Creationism ---> traditional paradigm

As such, they are competing paradigms.

Perhaps you ought to avail yourself of the opportunity to read the following book by Thomas Kuhn:

http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-Thomas-Kuhn/dp/0226458083

As it so happens .. I studied Kuhn at University a few years back (within History and Philosophy of Science) under the esteemed Professor David Oldroyd lol ... good times lol Smiley

IP Logged

Ziggy

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 9:03pm

Soren wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:49pm:
muso wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:48pm:

I like this hidden/unselfconciously religious angle to your take on evolution. No evolutionist has ever thought that evolution is just chaotic change. The only way it has ever been conceptualised is as a process of improvement. There is an unconscious Robinson Crusoe aspect to it, or a teleology, if you like.

The odd thing is - it does not work with us. We do not adopt to our environment but alter it to our needs. We have imposed society (civilisation) between ourselves and nature.

Actually, that's not a fair charge. The idea of improvement came from the outside by the likes of Herbert Spencer. Strictly speaking, improvement isn't inbuilt into the theory at all.

Yes, we do impose society between ourselves and nature, yet nature is still working away e.g bacteria and viruses will still be forces shaping the human genome.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print