Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Evolution is not a scientific theory (Read 33891 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Evolution is not a scientific theory
Reply #60 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Soren wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:49pm:
muso wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:48pm:
You've got the wrong end of the stick if you think that evolution always leads to improvements. Sometimes evolution hits a brick wall and some species become extinct.

I like this hidden/unselfconciously religious angle to your take on evolution. No evolutionist has ever thought that evolution is just chaotic change. The only way it has ever been conceptualised is as a process of improvement. There is an unconscious Robinson Crusoe aspect to it, or a teleology, if you like.

The odd thing is - it does not work with us. We do not adopt to our environment but alter it to our needs. We have imposed society (civilisation) between ourselves and nature.

Ziggy is right. It just means adapting to a changing environment.  For example ammonites developed convoluted sutures in response to  a changing marine environment. The later Triassic ammonites are associated with much deeper water assemblages and have convoluted sutures which withstand pressure to a greater extent. The shallower water species of the Jurassic  had relatively simple sutures which worked well for buoyancy control, which was more important in shallow water environments. We can track the lineages of ammonites and their adaptation through the fossil record.  

All this did not help the ammonites very much, because they went extinct (no typo this time Lisa)  at the end of the Cretaceous. The nearest surviving relative these days is the Pearly Nautilus.

In some environments, simpler is better. For example high salinity, the presence of hydrocarbons etc can defeat more complex organisms.

We still have vestiges of this adaptation to older environments in our body structure. For example, the very complex renal system is well adapted for living in saline water.

- and yes, you can go back and change your post, but be careful about it. I sometimes type <edit>. if I go back and change something, unless it's just a typo, otherwise you can be accused of being dishonest.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #61 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 10:04pm

If it's just simply adapting to a changing environment -why bother? A rock doesn't adapt.  It just sits there, recalcitrant. What is it about life?
COme to think of it - in what way is the appearance of life an evolutionary way of  'adapting to the environment'?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #62 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 10:10pm

Creationism is really just an extension of a specific religion or certain sects within that religion. (Abrahamic Monotheism) . It is certainly not a competing paradigm within biology.

- Muso

Just read back .. and realized I had not responded to the above comment.

In stating that the paradigms were competing .. I was alluding to the fact that:

Evolution --->scientific paradigm

Creationism ---> traditional paradigm

As such, they are indeed competing paradigms.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Ziggy

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 10:58pm

Here, this might help clarify things before we get bogged down in meanings.

"In colloquial contexts, evolution can refer to any sort of progressive development, and often bears a connotation of gradual improvement: evolution is understood as a process that results in greater quality or complexity. This common definition, when misapplied to biological evolution, leads to frequent misunderstandings. For example, the idea of devolution ("backwards" evolution) is a result of erroneously assuming that evolution is directional or has a specific goal, or that it necessarily leads to greater complexity. In reality, the evolution of organisms does not entail objective improvement; advancements are only situational. It is not part of the theory of evolution to consider any one species, such as humans, to be more "highly evolved" or "advanced" than another. Likewise, evolution does not require that organisms become more complex. Depending on the situation, organisms' complexity can either increase, decrease, or stay the same, and all three of these trends have been observed in biological evolution.[2]

Creationist sources frequently use evolution in a colloquial, rather than scientific, meaning while attacking the scientific concept. This often leads to the promotion of misunderstandings by creationists.[1][3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(term)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #64 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:48pm

locutius wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 10:15am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 2:17am:
I've no problem with both Evolution AND Creationism being taught in schools.

These represent 2 competing schools of thought .. sure .. but so what?

I have a problem with it. One is a school of thought, the other is dribble.

Have you considered that both function much like binary opposites and as such give a better sense of clarity about themselves and each other?

Oh and why hide information?

As I stated above .. people ought to know what these 2 competing paradigms consist of. Also .. people ought to be able to make informed decisions based on the information we have available.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #65 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:57pm

In essence ... this is what/how I am thinking :

Thesis + Antithesis ==> Synthesis

----> ( simplified version of Hegelian Dialectic ) ie the basis of critical thought.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #66 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 12:18am

i would suggest that you only use 20% of your brain matter

(the other 80% is activated when you sleep/dream or meditate)

and could have no grasp on the cruciable unless you activate

the endocrine system the conduit to the higher dimensions.

you are a master

in the making.

your ignorance has no bareing upon this fact

and so it is

namaste

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #67 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 7:47am

Soren wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 10:04pm:
If it's just simply adapting to a changing environment -why bother? A rock doesn't adapt.  It just sits there, recalcitrant. What is it about life?
COme to think of it - in what way is the appearance of life an evolutionary way of  'adapting to the environment'?

Let's get this straight. Evolution can't tell you anything about the appearance or instigation of life. That's not covered by evolution at all. Not one bit even.

Evolution is just concerned with the way organisms adapt to their environment. If the main food supply grows on trees for example, those critters with a longer neck can reach it more easily and thus have an evolutionary advantage. The phenotypes survive and gradually over time and many generations, the phenotypes become more typical of the general population. It's basic stuff.

If you want metaphysical discussions on existence, try Spirituality. There's a new poster called it_is_the_light. You'll get a lot of sense out of him.

Enjoy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #68 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 10:08am

PJ:

Quote:
But were not controlling emissions. Plus even if we were we don't know what the temperature would be in the unchecked emssions scenario.

Yes an experiment on a global scale is very limited from a scientific perspective.

Quote:
So is evolution. You can do experiments which demonstate natural selection as well as numerous other observations which support the theory. Why isn't this scientific?

Natural selection is a scientific theory.

Ziggy:

Quote:
What's the unscientific part? And don't you dare say evolution!

An example is universal common ancestry.

Quote:
Notwithstanding, Creationism makes a claim which would falsify evolution. Creationism would maintain that various creatures we see today were there when life came to be on this planet. You asked for falsifiability. This shows that evolution is falsifiable. AND youhave been given a number of other potential falsifiers. If you feel compelled to ask how evolution can be falsified again, just read back.

Falsification by magic etc does not satisfy the scientific requirements for falsifiability. You have to be able to design a repeatable experiment that would disprove it if it were false. Not just dream up an alternative and hold it as proof of your own theory.

Quote:
The theory implies that complex life today evolved from simpler life.

The theory makes no claims of directionality of change, with regard to complexity or any other subjective assessment of life.

Quote:
What you think is an alternative to the theory of evolution's explanation of how complex life on this planet came to be?

Absense of an alternative does not make it scientific either.

Quote:
You don't believe that genetic variation and natural selection brought it about?

I am making claims about science, not belief. Unscientific does not mean wrong. If anything, scientific means wrong.

Quote:
You made a false and absurd dichotomy.

It is not false. The dichotomy between the scientific and unscientific aspects is genuine and enlightening.

Muso:

Quote:
The first time I've read this particular gem of knowledge. It speaks volumes:

Muso, you are clearly misrepresenting the article by quoting that out of context. It is obviously meant to be put forward as a theory to demonstrate a point, not a fact.

Quote:
Evolution does not imply that life spontaneously came about on Earth.

According to my high school biology textbook it does.

Quote:
It annoys me that fundamentalists have hijacked our education system with this crap. To me knowledge is sacred, and this kind of thing is sacrilege. Keep life imprisonment for murderers and pedophiles, but maybe we should think about Old Testament justice for these fossils who corrupt our kids.  It would be poetic justice.

Sacred cows are the greatest threat to the aquisition of new knowledge.

locutious:

Quote:
I agree with everything you said. The Quality education of children is the most important and sacred task we are responsible for along with their physical wellbeing.

It is the reason I'd like to see an end to private education.

By any objective measure private schools offer a better quality education.

Ziggy:

Quote:
...... researchers were able to use evolutionary theory to make some testable predictions.

They have doen so many times. Sometimes they were right. Sometimes they were wrong. Where they are right, they claim it proves the theory. Where they are wrong, they simply alter the theory, or discover they don't need to do anything because the theory didn't actually predict it. Evolution as a theory owes it's survival to it's infinite adaptability more than anything else.

Muso:

Quote:
In some environments, simpler is better. For example high salinity, the presence of hydrocarbons etc can defeat more complex organisms.

Another example of the 'flexibility' of 'predictions' based on evolution. This is an after the fact explanation that does not stand up to scrutiny.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #69 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 10:44am

freediver wrote on Aug 7th, 2010 at 10:08am:
Quote:
Evolution does not imply that life spontaneously came about on Earth.

According to my high school biology textbook it does.

Which textbook is that? Evolution says nothing about how the first primitive forms of life came about. That's abiogenesis. I'd be very  surprised that a high school textbook would state that abiogenesis is part of the theory of evolution, although many subjects at High School level tend to be simplified.

Abiogenesis is about the origin of life. Evolution is about what happened after life arose on Earth. Numerous life origins studies proceed under a number of hypotheses and remain very tentative. Let's get this straight - If you're talking about abiogenesis, I agree that it's not a scientific theory - just a number of differing hypotheses.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2010 at 10:50am by muso »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 10:54am

The hypotheses are not scientific either.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #71 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 12:06pm

freediver wrote on Aug 7th, 2010 at 10:54am:
The hypotheses are not scientific either.

Correct, but that doesn't mean that they are useless.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #72 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 7:08pm

If you want metaphysical discussions on existence, try Spirituality. There's a new poster called it_is_the_light. You'll get a lot of sense out of him.

Enjoy.

- Muso

Too funny lol Smiley

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #73 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:12pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:48pm:
locutius wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 10:15am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 2:17am:
I've no problem with both Evolution AND Creationism being taught in schools.

These represent 2 competing schools of thought .. sure .. but so what?

I have a problem with it. One is a school of thought, the other is dribble.

Have you considered that both function much like binary opposites and as such give a better sense of clarity about themselves and each other?

Oh and why hide information?

As I stated above .. people ought to know what these 2 competing paradigms consist of. Also .. people ought to be able to make informed decisions based on the information we have available.

Sure they should know about it..one falls into the category of a scientific discipline and should be taught in science..the other falls into a category where it should be looked at in history as the smoke and mirror shadow puppetry of science. A subject of study that would include such things as drinking molten gold as a means to imortality.

Sure, study them at school, but as competing schools of thought????....I wouldn't even class creationism as an also-ran. It's politics, not science.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #74 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:54pm

Quote:
locutious:

Quote:
I agree with everything you said. The Quality education of children is the most important and sacred task we are responsible for along with their physical wellbeing.

It is the reason I'd like to see an end to private education.

Quote:
By any objective measure private schools offer a better quality education
- FD

I think that may have been what Locutious was actually alluding to FD, the disparity between the level of education opportunities available, and how in an ideal world we could hope to see kids from humble backgrounds, afforded similiar opportunities as are those from the more privileged demographic.
If that was Locutious' opinion, I would agree wholeheartedly, and think we should, at the very least,  be seeking to minimise that gap between what is offered privately, and what is delivered in public schools.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print