Send Topic Print
BaillieuWatch (Read 65640 times)
buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
BaillieuWatch
Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:41am

TED Baillieu has flagged dumping or deferring some of his big-spending election promises if an audit of Victoria's finances reveals holes in the budget.

He has vowed to ditch some of the Brumby government's most contentious projects and policies, saying the $750 million north-south water pipeline will be "shut down", changes to clearway times in inner-suburban shopping strips will be reversed, and planning laws allowing high-rise residential developments along suburban train and tram corridors will be overturned.

In his first media conference since becoming Premier-elect, Mr Baillieu also pledged to quickly implement his reform agenda, including:

■ Deploying armed police on railway stations at night, despite concerns from the head of Metro, Andrew Lezala, that this could result in innocent passengers being shot.

■ Implementing all the recommendations of the Black Saturday Bushfires Royal Commission, including a government buyout of home owners who want to abandon high-risk bushfire zones.

■ Putting an end to government "spin" by slashing the number of taxpayer-funded advertisements and media advisers.

Mr Baillieu signalled that his cabinet would muscle up to the federal Labor government by urging Prime Minister Julia Gillard to give Victoria a better deal on hospital funding and to improve mobile phone reception in rural areas as part of her broadband agenda.

But he indicated he would hold back on some of his most expensive promises pending the results of a comprehensive audit of Victoria's finances, taxes and debt management.

"We will simply remain cautious about our funding commitments until we've had that review," he said, noting that similar exercises by previous in-coming governments had revealed budget black holes.

Mr Baillieu said he was concerned about the escalation of debt under the Brumby government, and the financial obligations on the state from public-private partnership projects including the $5.7 billion desalination plant and the $760 million Frankston bypass road.

"There are future obligations which are not yet fully accounted through the budget process which may impose constraints on the budget," he said. "We want to get to the bottom of those obligations — that remains a concern."

Mr Baillieu's cabinet, with Nationals leader Peter Ryan as deputy premier, is expected to be sworn in at Government House tomorrow.

"We have a detailed plan and we're going to get on with it," Mr Baillieu told yesterday's media conference.

Ms Gillard later contacted him to congratulate him on his election victory. She said she looked forward to working with the Liberal leader "to tackle the challenges facing all Australians, including the continuing need for improvements in health, education and broadband."

But Mr Baillieu signalled that he would seek to "expose the contents" of the national health reform deal struck by John Brumby, and would "need to renegotiate" the deal if he judged it not to be in Victoria's best interests.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/state-election-2010/baillieu-hedges-on-promise...

Ted would do well to have his promises costed, while checking the size of his inherited surplus

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2011 at 9:27am by buzzanddidj »  

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe not ?)
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:45am

The development of Victoria’s Water Grid will help Victoria to better manage supply risks. The Sugarloaf Pipeline is an important new addition to this grid and connects Melbourne’s water supply system with the Goulburn River system. It was completed in February 2010.

In 2010, the pipeline will deliver 75 billion litres of water to Melbourne, from several sources.

From 2011 on, the pipeline will deliver Melbourne its share of savings achieved under Stage 1 of the Northern Victoria Irrigation Renewal Project (NVIRP). Once Stage 1 is completed at the end of 2012, it is expected to save an average of 225 billion litres of water a year.

As with all water allocations in Northern Victoria, the actual amount saved each year will vary, depending partly on rainfall and inflow conditions. Savings generated in a year also depend on how much water is delivered and what modernisation works have been completed.

Each year the amount will be split three ways between Melbourne, irrigators and the environment. Melbourne's allocation will be capped at 75 billion litres per year while in 'wet' years, irrigators and the environment could receive greater allocations.

http://www.ourwater.vic.gov.au/programs/water-grid/sugarloaf

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:48am

Quote:
■ Deploying armed police on railway stations at night, despite concerns from the head of Metro, Andrew Lezala, that this could result in innocent passengers being shot.

You might want to cast your mind back, Ted, to which government abolished station staff and security watch in the FIRST place ?

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2010 at 5:52am by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

bwood1946
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:57am

buzzanddidj wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:48am:
Quote:

You might want to cast your mind back, Ted, to which government abolished station staff and security watch in the FIST place ?

11 years dick head different time and different place and who is going to get shot

FFS

Angry Angry Angry Angry
And what about ALL THE shredding at treasury place yesterday ABC news last NIGHT   11 years off a sheet

Angry Angry Angry Angry

TPI  VETERAN
bwood1946 bwood1946  
IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:03pm

Quote:

You might want to cast your mind back, Ted, to which government abolished station staff and security watch in the FIST place ?

why cant you accept that what happened by past govts especially those

of 10 years ago.. doesnt always appertain to this day and age.. I would assume Melb has grown a bit since

not forgetting that Kennett from memory inherited from the CAIN govt...wasnt that an appalling mess something like NSW of today?but kennett was the bad guy of course.

but you are of course quick off the mark we expected that.. and I am almost sure the Libs dont have any idea of the debt or mismanagement they have inherited..although by now looking to the Feds they should have some idea...lol.

so in all fairness how about giving them a week..I am sure the damage or waste the Labs have  left.. wont be too much of a bother for you.but it might take a while for the slack libs to climb over.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:05pm

bwood1946 wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:57am:
Quote:

11 years dick head different time and different place and who is going to get shot

FFS

Angry Angry Angry Angry
And what about ALL THE shredding at treasury place yesterday ABC news last NIGHT   11 years off a sheet

Angry Angry Angry Angry

not another shreddergate.. I havent heard of that one... are they allowed to do that??..what about history ..ha.ha.ha.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:05pm

What exactly is your problem with Baillieu or is it anything Liberal Buzz?

You are what is wrong with the way people view things.

It's not a case of our side v their side etc - its about what is right for our country.

Maybe one day you will see that and get out of this cheer squad mentality.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:34pm

codswal wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:05pm:
bwood1946 wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:57am:
Quote:

FFS

Angry Angry Angry Angry
And what about ALL THE shredding at treasury place yesterday ABC news last NIGHT   11 years off a sheet

Angry Angry Angry Angry

not another shreddergate.. I havent heard of that one... are they allowed to do that??..what about history ..ha.ha.ha.

Where was the issue when the exiting Howard Government did exactly the same thing in 2007 ?

It is a common practice with outgoing governments' party documents - and not in the slightest illegal or without long established precedent

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:10pm

Where was the issue when the exiting Howard Government did exactly the same thing in 2007 ?

It is a common practice with outgoing governments' party documents - and not in the slightest illegal or without long established precedent

----------------

that IS all I was asking... thank you I dont recall the Howard govt doing the same thing in treasury.. but I am sure you hav e a link.. and is it in legislation or wherever..maybe even the constitution where its safe for them to shred things willy nilly..

we are talking aboiut a State govt and not a Fed one after all.

like I have said before two wrongs dont make a right.. though it seems to be okay with you.. which is your right as well..but dont shoot someone for asking a question.

I dont happen to think it is okay... they spend our money after all.. we have every right to know what on. 

if it ALP notes fair enough..but then they wouldnt be in treasury would they.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:20pm

Quote:
that IS all I was asking... thank you I dont recall the Howard govt doing the same thing in treasury

NEITHER exiting government has done this "in treasury"
NEITHER is allowed to DO so
In both cases they were party, internal and GOVERNMENT documents

The old boy got confused by the street address - which is 1 Treasury Place ...

The official address of the Victorian Government offices

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:28pm

Sackable offence obviously to confuse an address.

When Baillieu starts to have people arrested on their own property and wastes millions of dollars of our money on pointless projects and ignores scores of environmentalists and wrecks our bay -

Then I too will criticise him.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:32pm

"Ted would do well to have his promises costed, while checking the size of his inherited deficit "

I think that's what he was said he was planning to do Buzz...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:36pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:05pm:
What exactly is your problem with Baillieu or is it anything Liberal Buzz?

You are what is wrong with the way people view things.

It's not a case of our side v their side etc - its about what is right for our country.

Maybe one day you will see that and get out of this cheer squad mentality.

The Federal Libs haven't drunk the coolaid, and don't believe in AGW???
So ALL libs (and ONLY Libs) are against shutting down all power, industry, manufacturing and all australians living in self-sufficent communes??

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:48pm

Quote:
When Baillieu starts to have people arrested on their own property ...

People who were breaking common law, in trying to stop Government appointed surveyers gainin access to land under Victorian Government jurisdiction - mind you

Or exercising their "freedom of choice", as you would put it

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:48pm

You forgot to highlight these paragraphs in your OP buzz. 

"We will simply remain cautious about our funding commitments until we've had that review," he said, noting that similar exercises by previous in-coming governments had revealed budget black holes.

Mr Baillieu said he was concerned about the escalation of debt under the Brumby government, and the financial obligations on the state from public-private partnership projects including the $5.7 billion desalination plant and the $760 million Frankston bypass road.

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 134
Send Topic Print